[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Hip-Hop more respected than more developed and emotionally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: Untitled7.png (767 KB, 998x936) Image search: [Google]
Untitled7.png
767 KB, 998x936
Why is Hip-Hop more respected than more developed and emotionally varied genres like Classical, Jazz, or Rock (there are more, just using these as an example) music here, Hip-Hop solely relies on it's lyrics to get it's message across, where as Classical, Jazz, and Rock manage to do this simply in a musical way, isn't music about the things MUSIC can manage to move someone emotionally? Not lyrics? Isin't that what /mu/ is always saying? If this is the case, then why does /mu/ even bother talking abut Hip-Hop that much? Even boards like /tv/ can respect older films and judge films of the present highly, where /mu/ can't even judge present artists because they don't wanna seem like some old man, which is why i think reviews are so popular here, /mu/ is too afraid to judge something themselves, hell, people here rather shitpost all the time than critique an album/mixtape/EP/piece, most people here don't like talking about musical theory, either because they don't know what it is, or think it's some kind of evil thing.

Don't try to give me the old "maybe you should spend more time here!", because I've been here for 2 years now and I've seen no change.

tl;dr: /mu/ is either an old dad still trying to fit in with his son's friends, or everyone here cares more about music as a fashion accessory than it's actual value.
>>
>>55189265
le empowered black man who raised himself without help of dem evil whities tbh ladm8 smh
>>
>>55189265
>Even boards like /tv/ can respect older films and judge films of the present highly, where /mu/ can't even judge present artists because they don't wanna seem like some old man, which is why i think reviews are so popular here, /mu/ is too afraid to judge something themselves, hell, people here rather shitpost all the time than critique an album/mixtape/EP/piece, most people here don't like talking about musical theory, either because they don't know what it is, or think it's some kind of evil thing.
I mostly agree, but you kinda ran off on a tangent there...

Chalk it up to age.
>>
>>55189265
>Hip-Hop more respected

By fucking who????

Ignore the retarded /wronggeneration retards.
>>
>>55189265
>Why is Hip-Hop more respected
It isn't.
>>
>>55189265
>Why is Hip-Hop more respected

nope.avi
>>
>>55189265
shouldn't we talk about all genres of music equally? I agree with some of this but rap can be amazing too and you're degrading it in a lot of ways.
>>
>>55189581
If it was truly amazing then we wouldn't be able to degrade it in the first place
>>
File: thats wrong.jpg (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
thats wrong.jpg
22 KB, 400x400
>Hip-Hop solely relies on it's lyrics to get it's message across
>>
>>55189265
>Hip-Hop solely relies on it's lyrics to get it's message across, where as Classical, Jazz, and Rock manage to do this simply in a musical way, isn't music about the things MUSIC can manage to move someone emotionally?
What about Instrumental Hip Hop?
>>
>>55189647
>>55189620
what emotion does Hip-Hop convey? show me examples that are not Jazz Rap.
>>
>>55189675
Anger, sadness, etc
>>
>>55189697
examples buddy, i need examples.
>>
>>55189975
Well, what instrumental hip-hop have you heard?
>>
>>55189675
Eyedea's music generally conveys an ominous tone, independently of his lyrics, which are still phenomenal.

DJ Screw's music conveys a sort of lazy contentness,

El-P's beats with Cannibal Ox evoke nostalgia, confusion, sadness. El-P's beats with RTJ evoke anger and excitement.

Ghostpoet's music evokes longing, sadness, loneliness, fear

BONES does a pretty good job of using his beats to set a spacey, lonely, sort of desolate mood.

Hip hop isn't the only genre that uses lyrics, and something doesn't have to convey a specific emotion to sound beautiful. Just like any fucking genre hip hop has its good musicians and its bad ones.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 304x304) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 304x304
One of the highest regarded hip-hop albums of the last ten years relied on emotion more heavily than lyrics.
Also
>muh emotions
>>
>>55189675
You need to do more research before you start a thread like this.

I'm not even a huge fan of hiphop but you're coming across as seriously ignorant right now
>>
>>55189265

Hip-hop has experienced a lot more development and change as a genre in the past few years. It's exciting and promotes discussion. Rock has experienced nothing but revivals of 20th century styles, jazz is nominally dead, and classical has its own generals. No one shits on jazz or classical though, it's just not as popular.
>>
File: damnitfeelsgoodtobeeuphoric.jpg (77 KB, 640x914) Image search: [Google]
damnitfeelsgoodtobeeuphoric.jpg
77 KB, 640x914
>not liking hip-hop
>>
>>55190149
>liking rap

fuck off cuck
>>
>>55190149
>>55190178
>your opinion is bad because memes
>no yours is bad because memes
4chan in a nutshell
>>
>>55190256
>pointing out things like a faggot
reddit in a nutshell
>>
>>55190126
>jazz is nominally dead
first off, I don't think you know what that word means
second,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xUysPg8YLo
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 640x360
>>55190178
>thinking rap is the same thing as hip hop
>>
>>55190290
you have a point.
>>
>>55190330
Rap is a genre within hip hop. Like metal it also has lots of meaningless subgenre labels.

Its also a vocal style.
>>
>>55190020
You mostly described what i can see people liking about Hip-Hop, but you also described why the genre seems so lacking

>DJ Screw's music conveys a sort of lazy contentness,
there's quite a bit of hip-hop that relies on that "lazy contentness", for example A$AP Rocky's music

>El-P's beats with RTJ evoke anger and excitement.
you can pretty much say this for most early gangsta rap groups and some modern rap artists as well, for example Death Grips.

>BONES does a pretty good job of using his beats to set a spacey, lonely, sort of desolate mood.
>Eyedea's music generally conveys an ominous tone, independently of his lyrics, which are still phenomenal.
Most hip-hop artists today are doing the "omninous tone" in their music, i will again refer you to A$AP Rocky, along with Drake.

MBDTF, and some other Kanye albums do an excellent job of creating emotion in Hip-Hop, but even those albums use Classical, Rock and Jazz as a basis for it's instrumentals.

>>55190126
>Hip-hop has experienced a lot more development and change as a genre in the past few years
That's because it is a new genre, remember how much people loved Hard Rock, Grunge, Punk and Metal in the 80s and 90s?
>>
>>55190510

Yes, exactly, hip-hop is a newer genre so it's more exciting to discuss. I don't see why this is a problem.
>>
>>55190510
Not relevant
>>
>>55190529
Its not a hip hop only board.
>>
>>55190589
Oh is there only hip hop threads here?
>>
>>55190510
Hip hop is roughly 40 years old at this point man.

I'm serious. You sound ignorant and you should probably stop posting.
>>
>>55190669
There are often 20% of the board about hip hop yes, so many lesser popular genres get lost when yet another rap thread is posted.
>>
File: anger.jpg (160 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
anger.jpg
160 KB, 500x484
>>55189265
what the fuck dude

>more developed and emotionally varied genres like Classical, Jazz, or Rock
you've never heard a sad hip hop song? a happy one? one that makes you feel sympathetic, or angry?

>Hip-Hop solely relies on it's lyrics to get it's message across
you can have instrumental hip hop dude. there are shit loads of fantastic hip hop albums where you can't even hear or understand what they're saying

>Isin't that what /mu/ is always saying?
/mu/ has never agreed on anything

>If this is the case
it's not
>then why does /mu/ even bother talking abut Hip-Hop that much?
because people who go on /mu/ like it?

>Even boards like /tv/ can respect older films
/tv/ is a board full of creeps who masturbate to child actress who couldn't form a coherent opinion if it was handed to them

>/mu/ can't even judge present artists because they don't wanna seem like some old man
judging present artists is what 80% of /mu/ is

>why i think reviews are so popular here, /mu/ is too afraid to judge something themselves
have you not seen the huge amount of cherry bomb threads recently that trash fantano's review? and the whole board is anonymous, who gives a shit about being judged

>critique an album/mixtape/EP/piece
people do, but in a conversational way rather than a spunk-my-opinion-up-the-wall full blown out reviews because the majority aren't that autistic

>tl;dr: /mu/ is either an old dad still trying to fit in with his son's friends, or everyone here cares more about music as a fashion accessory than it's actual value.
dude what the hell

i'm so flustered OP i hate you
>>
>>55190697
>There are often 20% of the board about hip hop yes
Then it's not the whole board. You misspoke.
>>
>>55189265

There's this weird autistic logic that neckbeards always apply to art

For example, "hip hop is inherently inferior than rock because it uses mostly lyrics to gets its message across"

This presumes that music is some kind of functional machine, or a hamburger, and some hamburgers have more condiments

Under this logic, film is better than all music because it engages two senses instead of one
>>
>>55190784
How is that autism?
>>
>>55190510
Seeing as all music is derivative, saying that one genre is inferior to another because it is influenced by the other is pretty ignorant. Rock and jazz are derived from blues, which is derived from Appalachian folk and African tribal music. Classical music derived itself from European folk and barbaric musical traditions, then went on to influence and spawn pop, contemporary folk, electronic music, metal, rock, etc..
>>
>>55189975
>this guy

anyway
>hell yeah motherfucker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCx5Std7mCo

>mid life depression, being scared of dying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usksH8B07do

>realising in your early twenties that actually everything is terrible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXzouMb3BFg

>feeling disgusted and betrayed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i-b6x0-GeM

>having a good day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fVcD1RydY4
>>
>>55190888
Not him, but his argument is exclusively logic based and is driven by opinion taken as fact.

It's like saying literature is inferior to painting because there's a limited number of words. Just because words already have inherent meaning doesn't mean that they couldn't take on another meaning or create diverse opinion.

A very linear and straight forth logical approach applied to fallacies is what gets the argument labelled as "autistic"
>>
>>55190686
Hip-Hop's major mainstream relevancy didn't start until the 1990s/Early 2000s.

>>55190950
That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying Hip-Hop has not yet made music way beyond those influences, making most Hip-Hop sound generic, especially as of right now.
>>
>>55190784
There's this weird autistic logic that neckbears always apply to art

For example "Under this logic, film is better than all music because it engages two senses instead of one"

this presumes that art is inherently better than other based on how many senses it uses, when it's really not the point at all.
>>
>>55191211
What do you mean by it sounds generic? Hip-hop sounds pretty damn distinct relative to every other genre. There's huge variety within the hip hop genre. Hip hop has appropriated a lot of techniques and styles that are hardly seen at all in any other genre. To say it hasn't broken far enough away from its influences is a pretty dumb thing to say, all things considered.
>>
>>55189265
Buddy, look here. Poetry is what you're thinking of. Hip hop has instrumentals and some groups even have live bands that play with the rappers.
>>
So what makes Kanye a bad artist, other than sub-par lyrics and arrogance?
>>
>rap relies solely on lyrics to get it's message across
>mad because he can't tell emotion from something other than words
You're pretty dumb op
>>
>>55190510
What point are you trying to make here
>YOU DON'T KNOW HIP HOP AS WELL AS I
Also
>Drake
>Ominous
>>
>>55193247
Drake is my example for the

>spacey, lonely, sort of desolate mood

>>55191586
>What do you mean by it sounds generic? Hip-hop sounds pretty damn distinct relative to every other genre. There's huge variety within the hip hop genre. Hip hop has appropriated a lot of techniques and styles that are hardly seen at all in any other genre. To say it hasn't broken far enough away from its influences is a pretty dumb thing to say, all things considered.

Name some things Hip-Hop has innovated other than rapping, sampling was known before hip-hop and so was turntabilism

>>55190710
>you can have instrumental hip hop dude. there are shit loads of fantastic hip hop albums where you can't even hear or understand what they're saying
>you've never heard a sad hip hop song? a happy one? one that makes you feel sympathetic, or angry?

see
>>55190510

also
>have you not seen the huge amount of cherry bomb threads recently that trash fantano's review? and the whole board is anonymous, who gives a shit about being judged

Have you not seen the Fantano defenders? The Scaruffi fans? Have you not seen the p4k review threads of children anxiously waiting for 1am to come by so they can check if someone got BNM?

>people do, but in a conversational way rather than a spunk-my-opinion-up-the-wall full blown out reviews because the majority aren't that autistic

If people did do this /mu/ would agree on stuff more rather than just people posting "if you don't like this you're a pleb", but like i said, people are either too lazy to express their opinion or are just uneducated on music.
>>
>black people
>>
>>55189265
dudebro that is the definition of tl;dr

as for rap being respected, largely it's not. it is sometimes worth alot of money though.
>>
>>55194137
The people pretending to be racists so they can cause commotion are also large part of why /mu/ can't get over hip-hop, stop it you fucks.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.