[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be musician (like many of us) >totally boned in the voice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: 494.gif (299 KB, 448x256) Image search: [Google]
494.gif
299 KB, 448x256
>be musician (like many of us)
>totally boned in the voice department
>will never ever be considered good
>can't even sing your own songs because people will call you shit and throw trash at you
>flat out not allowed to pursue your dream because you lost out on the genetic lottery

is there a worse curse in this world
>>
>>55118779
If I could throw trash at you right now over the internet I would
>>
>>55118807
why
>>
You're playing and making music for all the wrong reasons, you unbearable faggot.
Sell all your gear and focus on making money, there's enough shit music out there as it is.
>>
>>55118894
why is every reply on this board an incoherent angry one
>>
Range is something that you can't much help. You can extend it a bit with practice but in the end you have what you have. Not everyone gets to be Robert Plant, unfortunately.

However, practice does allow you to develop your tone. Things like breath control make a huge difference. Some people just aren't cut out to be good singers, but knowing your voice well and practice help a lot.

You can't blame a shitty work ethic on genetics (not entirely at least).
>>
>>55118964
>Some people just aren't cut out to be good singers
But how do you know if you're one of them?
>>
>>55118999
Practicing.

I'd say pretty much everyone with a decent set of lungs can manage to be at least serviceable. The biggest obstacle most people face with singing isn't their voice but simply tone-deafness.
>>
>>55119109
It just feels like you're fucked nowadays if you can't explode into tenor. Especially if your range is much, much lower than that.

I saw these two guys at a club the other day, the guy made one mistake and two of my friends said "Ughhh this guy is awful". And in my opinion, he was pretty good. I just don't get how you're supposed to know if you're good. People will say shit just to be nice, like "you were amazing!", and people will insult you because, well.. I shouldn't have to explain, we're on fucking 4chan, we're all used to it.
>>
>>55119324
Good is subjective. No matter how "good" of a singer you are somebody is always going to call you shit. Best thing to do is just roll with what you got and try to practice when you can.
>>
fucking practice you faggot.

learning to sing is just like learning any other instrument. the more you practice, the better you'll be.
>>
Plenty of musicians aren't singers. Do something else or learn to be ok with a shit voice.

I consider singers like Jeff Mangum perfectly capable
>>
>>55119572
This is good advice
>>
>>55118779
People call you a faggot cause you want to "succeed".
Let me explain or at least try to explain what a true artist is.
A true artists is not the one who doesnt want others to hear his songs or music or some teenage bullcrap like that.
A true artist is also not a person who wants to make music in order to cater to as many people in order to make more money or be more famous. A true artists is the one who makes the best music he can and if someone loves it then great!!
He doesnt "want to succeed", he wants to make uncompromising music, the way he wants to.

If you dont like making music above all and are not a "true artist", and if you dont know how to sell yourself and become popular/sell a lot then there is absolutely no point for you to make music.
>>
>>55119324
dude man bro people are always gonna call you shit no matter what. if you do your thing well and do it with conviction, the right people will notice.
>>
It's Called instrumentals you fuccboi.
>>
>>55120394
>He doesnt "want to succeed", he wants to make uncompromising music, the way he wants to.
thats not a true artist

thats just a faggot
>>
>>55120508
Right. I think you are wrong though cause You suck so much dick nobody else can be called a faggot anymore.
>>
>>55120394
pretty much this
>A true artists is not the one who doesnt want others to hear his songs or music or some teenage bullcrap like that.
I'd say they do still want others to hear their songs, it's just that it doesn't factor into their creative process that much.
>>
have you tried spoken word? have you tried chanting? have you tried beatboxing or scatting? screaming?

there's more to vocals than staying in pitch. while it might be a bit of a cop-out, you can still utilise your voice. and even then, i can think of a few bands with technically fuckawful singers who really give it their best and it works
>>
>>55120394
By that logic a drunk lunatic with a guitar on the corner of the street wailing incoherent babble is a true artist. Just no.

A true artist understands what it takes to "make it", has goals, strives to reach them, strives to be the best he can be. You don't have to be heedless of success, that is just moronic.

It doesn't mean you have to conform, or be a pop artist. You can still do the reverby hipster space lyric shit /mu/ loves so much.
>>
>>55118779
Aren't you supposed to be bitching about how garage rock is dead batman?
>>
>>55119715
this is the only reply that needs to be in this thread.
>>
File: usopp.png (498 KB, 750x719) Image search: [Google]
usopp.png
498 KB, 750x719
>Be generally good at singing
>Want to sing
>Childhood Friends called a guy singing in a not-metal voice a faggot
>Terrified of singing in front of strangers because of that
>Only 100% comfortable at singing when with my brother
>Friends only playing video games all fucking day long and they don't even (barely) listen to music

Is there a more crippling thing?

Only when my secondary school music teacher, who were a huge inspiration to me, passed away this November, I've kinda vowed to practice and become better at singing in front of people.

It's just so hard.
>>
>>55120746
>By that logic a drunk lunatic with a guitar on the corner of the street wailing incoherent babble is a true artist.

I dont know how to respond to this moronic analogy.
Do you wanna discuss if crazy people can be artists? Thats off topic and TBH I dont care.

Its not about what circumstances you are in and how financially successful you are. If you are a dude on the street or a millionaire.
Its about your own attitude and desire.
If you want to make music the way you want to without compromise, and you dont mind sacrificing everything else for that then you are a true artist. Many of them probably dont get noticed or become famous.

This for some reason reminded me of the movie Gataca. At some point, the main character remembers his childhood and how he and his brother went swimming. They raced to see who can get furthest from the shore before going back. The main character won and explained his victory by saying that he never thought about reserving strength for the way back to shore. He went all in hoping to win against all odds.

That is what a true artist does. He sacrifices everything he can bare to sacrifice for his passion.
>>
>>55120928
i think singing in fornt of a group of strangers is easier than singing in front of a couple friends. less awkward anyway. plus with strangers its like hey man, i dont know you or care about you.
>>
Just fucking sing holy shit, music is art, you dont need the voice of a fucking angel to be good, just like you dont need any coherent imagery in a painting to have it hung up in an art museum and praised by thousands
>>
>>55121370
you're an idiot dude

stop trying to be more than you are, a /mu/ troll

you have nothing worthwhile to say
>>
>>55118779
Being a famous musician is overrated. Trust me. Just make music for yourself, stuff that you enjoy.
>>
>>55121370
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-znjDGubE
>>
>>55121561
How is anything he said hard to believe? Do you think all the great artist you know just jerked off on 4chan for 15 hours a day and practiced their craft every once in a while? Most art comes from an attitude, that attitude is what gets them places. If you want to be an artist it literally has to be a full time thing.
>>
>>55118779
It's all about finding your voice. I usually get flack for my voice, but when I sing lower it sounds pretty good.
>>
>>55121630
it depends on what your goals are. if you're unemployed, jacking off on 4chan is as much of a time sink as working a day job, which most have to do.

either way there are lots of hours in the day, and i believe that time spent away from something can be just as important as time spent actually working on it.
>>
>>55121561
Why exactly are you so butthurt?
>>
>>55121693
Spoken like a true spoiled brat.
>>
>>55118964
>Some people just aren't cut out to be good singers
But keep in mind OP, even they can become passable singers
Not great, but passable
>>
>>55121693
anon, for some, music is just a hobby and its ooook buddy.
>>
>>55118779
vocal/lyrical music is overrated anyway

careful though, it's easy to make shitty instrumental music

make sure you know what you're doing
>>
>>55120928
What the fuck is a "metal voice"?
>>
>>55121693
You are just describing the easy life you are used to. You got no idea what people do to achieve their desires. Got no money? leech of your family. Find a GF to finance you working two shifts. Suck dick for money etc...

But yeah, you go on play your guitar a few hours a day.
One day all your musical desires will come true cause in life, much like in fairytales and movies, good things eventually happen to the protagonist one way or another and he lives happily ever after, fulfilled.
>>
Just try to find a style that fits you

You don't have to a have good voice to be a good singer or rapper.

I'd say MC Ride or Elias Bender are good examples of this
>>
>>55118779
You don't have to have a pleasant voice to be a professional singer. Composition and lyricism are all that matters. If Efrim Menuck and David Tibet can be well-respected and successful singers, then anyone can.
>>
>>55121976
MF Doom and Kanye are pretty awful at singing, as well.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.