[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
as an independent musician who doesn't belong to a label
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 1
File: stormfront.jpg (6 KB, 176x176) Image search: [Google]
stormfront.jpg
6 KB, 176x176
as an independent musician who doesn't belong to a label and doesn't play live(and who has a penis)how do you get pitchfork to notice your music?
>>
Pay them
>>
>>55118657
>>
Pay them, have a good manager
>>
>>55118631
Sleep with Ryan
>>
pay a lot for a respectable PR company, who still might even say no
>>
>>55118631
easy, kill yourself
>>
>>55118631
You mean you're a bedroom producer?
you'll never go anywhere, just give up.
>>
Money, felatio
>>
i have $100 to my name, i do everything myself, i have two albums out, the latter of which received a fair amount of attention, appeared on a handful of blogs and is even talked about on /mu/ sometimes.

>>55118778
ariel pink started out that way, he's doing alright for himself now. except anco discovered him and im just sitting here jacking it
>>
Post your music OP
>>
>>55118631
send them your album and hope they listen to it.
>>
>>55118832
>implying anyone on p4k listens to music
>implying their reviews aren't based entirely on how much the artist's label paid them
>>
>>55118827
post music
>>
>>55118832
i tried this the same day i released my last album and i can confidently say they don't give a flying fuck if you email them your songs, i'm pretty sure they don't even look through those e-mails they get constantly

>>55118828
>>55118956
nah. i don't want to make it seem like i made this thread for the purpose of whoring my music to you guys. just trying to get some ideas. this self-promotion shit is a real bitch and sometimes i feel lost trying to figure out what to do next
>>
>>55119008
well man stop worrying about getting your music on pfk. it probably won't happen.

why don't you focus on making good music. if it's good enough it will find an audience.
>>
>>55119054
yeah, that's the plan for now. i've had a few friends get noticed on pitchfork, i'm just not a SJW and i just try to make decent music

p4k is kind of a shooting-for-the-stars kind of thing and i'm just trying to figure out how to widen my audience in general when there's a sea of other musicians out there trying to do the same thing
>>
>>55119164
>there's a sea of other musicians out there trying to do the same thing
that's the problem.

you say you're a bedroom producer? there's a million of those now. it's not new anymore. what are you doing differently that is going to make me play your song at a party or show it to my friends?

that's what you have to figure out
>>
aim smaller, send your music to some blogs and smaller review sites to get noticed. You can't just expect the biggest music review site on the internet to review some random amateur album no one has ever listened to. The albums they review are already generating hype by the time they latch on and make it mainstream.
>>
>>55119220
i know exactly what you're saying, there are a fuck load of bedroom producers out there

the thing is i'm a single musician who plays a lot of different instruments, i go for a full sound in my recordings instead of plunking away at a nylon stringed guitar playing feelsfolk in my attic with my laptop mic. i think i do a pretty decent job at what i do, and personally i think there aren't a lot of current musicians doing exactly what i'm doing, but maybe i'm just delusional as shit

>>55119245
yeah, you're right about that. finding those smaller blogs and getting them to take notice is tough as fuck, but probably the best way to do it.

i actually sent my album to one relatively small blog who then e-mailed me back their pricing graph for having a detailed review, saying basically the "free package" gets you only a score and you're basically guaranteed to get a score below 4/5. they just throw an arbitrary number at your album unless you pony up $50+, i think i got 3.5/5 or something like that

lol, kind of irrelevant but still, man fuck the music world
>>
>>55119164

The aim should be making good music

Don't throw your shit out there unless you know it's good. Like seriously so many people put some crap out there and spam it thinking it'll get them famous. Be harsh on yourself, make some good fucking music. If it's shit, practice, get better, keep at it and then you'll get good
>>
>>55119424
yeah, after my first album which was just kind of a bunch of shit packaged together as an "album" i kind of realized there are a lot of shitty excuses for albums flooding the internet and you have to really make sure what you're putting out is worth listening to, which i try to do

I talked with Car Seat Headrest not too long ago and he basically said pump out as much good music as you can and fuck self-promotion, advice i guess i should take more
>>
>>55119164
>I'm just not a SJW
Are you conservative though? or anti-liberal?

because i would shit on your music, m8
>>
>>55118631
Cut off your penis. P4k would drop trou and BNM a trans musician in a heartbeat.
>>
>>55119360
>instead of plunking away at a nylon stringed guitar playing feelsfolk in my attic with my laptop mic. i think i do a pretty decent job at what i do
The fact that you're so condescending to people who DO do that presages you not making it anywhere. That cynical mentality never makes success of people. Only few cynical people make it but have exceptional talent and fate on their side (i.e. Lennon).

Might as well get a job at McDonalds, you hick.
>>
>>55119622
>The fact that you're so condescending to people who DO do that presages you not making it anywhere. That cynical mentality never makes success of people. Only few cynical people make it but have exceptional talent and fate on their side (i.e. Lennon).

But that's the opposite of true, you have to be ruthless to get ahead in the music biz.

Plus he's right about feelsfolk. You might make some coed's panties wet, but sadsack mumblecore is on its way out. It had its decade.
>>
>>55119622
I think there are a some talented musicians who do that, i also think there are a fuck load of people who do that and don't really push themselves to do anything different and it comes out bland and sounding just like everything else. it's not an inherently bad style, i just hear a ton of people doing it and a lot of the time it's just not very good.

>>55119551
lol, no, i'm somewhere in the middle. i dont think a lot about politics, but i dislike a lot of shit about conservatives and a lot of shit about liberals
>>
>>55119616
>Cut off your penis
Not even necessary, just mold a persona of a musician that's "transitioning"

They'll eat that shit up
>>
>>55119360
What blog was that? Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>55119360
What is that smaller blog, please reveal. pls
>>
>>55119748
That's been done, that Horse Museum guy has taken that niche.
>>
perform live then
>>
>>55119008
>i don't want to make it seem like i made this thread for the purpose of whoring my music
But you want pitchfork to promote/review your music
>>
>>55119764
The Equal Ground, yeah it was super fucking lame

>>55119839
i should do that, i just have fuckin bad anxiety especially in front of crowds, and i'd rather have a band together instead of solo acoustic bullshit
>>
They certain have paid to review... but they putt the most worst awful trap rap albums on their review sections... of broke niggas, man.. we got a chance, just make the music on the Pitchfork genre... or get a free review... being knowing before P4k review it... make buzz arround you... like Lil B and Makonnen.
>>
>>55118631
>Wanting to get noticed by a clickbait website
>>
Be black and experimental
>>
>>55119887
>The Equal Ground
>requests money for reviews
You couldn't make this shit up
>>
>>55119887
>The Equal Ground

raid?
>>
>>55119711
ruthless is not tantamount to cynicism.
>>
>>55118631
make music which is radio-playable but faux-experimental

be careful not to make anything actually experimental or daring though
>>
>tfw some random blog on another side of the continent does a track review of one of your songs

Feels good.
>>
>>55119946
P4k hates experimentation tho
>>
>>55119739
be a liberal. i'd give you a "like". be anything else i'd ignore it or diatribe it, whichever hurts you most.

>inb4 SJW
This is 90% of the music industry at this point, anyway.
>>
>>55119887
>The Equal Ground
lmaooo that site is super shitty... you have more chance sending some good material do Pigeon & planes or Tiny mixtapes.
>>
>>55119940
this
>>
>>55119979
This.
>>
>>55119955
This isn't /b/, kid.
>>
>>55119955
>raid?
let's not, it will end up like Marcel or something. just let that shit blog that hardly anyone cares about continue to be shit and irrelevant
>>
>>55120079

:'(
>>
playing live shows is practically a necessity for getting your name out there
>>
>>55120170
this, I can't think of many people who could get big skipping this step now

>tfw your music is unplayable in any way live unless you just hit play on a laptop
>>
>>55119548
post your music
>>
>>55119622
attic folk feeler detected
>>
>>55120378
This, so much this.
>>
POST YOUR MUSIC BITCH BOI DO A FREE SHOW FOR YOUR HOMIES RECORD IT AND UPLOAD THIS SHIT ON YOUTUBE OR HIPHOP WORLDSTAR NIGGA.
>>
>>55120498
It's not even as though it's of a genre in which it'd be even remotely acceptable to have a laptop there and fiddle with a few filters either
So basically it'll never get out there, jwj
>>
>>55120012
Not OP but fuck you buddy. He said he doesn't care about politics, don't try to force some librul agenda down his throat.
>>
>>55120765
He's right though about the industry being that way.

both mainstream from T-Swift to 1D and indie-aesthetic market from Daniel Johnston to St. Vincent.

it's because conservatives don't like music.
>>
>>55119008
they definitely don't, the writers frequently joke on twitter about their growing e-mail folders
>>
>>55120012
>>55121106

Being SJW is not synonymous with being liberal, I'm a liberal and I hate SJWs more than any /pol/tard, and I'm not the only liberal with that sentiment. If the only way to get ahead in the music industry right now is to put on le social justice mask and start blogging about the unbearable whiteness of indie and how fangirl is a derogatory term, then it's pretty much time to an hero.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.