[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Death Grips have an actual gimmick? Or is it just some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: Death-Grips1.jpg (756 KB, 2812x2109) Image search: [Google]
Death-Grips1.jpg
756 KB, 2812x2109
Does Death Grips have an actual gimmick?

Or is it just some some homeless guy saying a bunch of nonsense over spooky beats?

Or is that their gimmick?
>>
>>54970928
>spooky beats?
you need this son http://www.wikihow.com/Not-Be-Afraid-of-Death-Grips
>>
>>54970946
I'm not scared of them, but they're spooky beats. Think Mr. Oizo
>>
>>54970928
u need 2 vibrate higher
>>
>>54970946
holy shit, i lost it at that
why the fuck did they make that
hilarious
>>
Their gimmick is making great music
>>
>>54970928
The lyrics aren't nonsense
>>54971028
It was a memester
>>
>>54970928
how about you go read the interviews they've done, look at all the samples they've used, read the lyrics and actually listen to the music rather than asking /mu/
>>
>>54971045
http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Queen-(Band)-Fan
>>
I guess what I'm saying is, I don't get it.

I mean they're not bad, but why the hype?

I caught the beginning of it back in 2010 or whatever but it never stuck with me.
I'm also not asking if they have a "gimmick" as much as I'm asking if there's a reason or feeling behind everyone liking them. Do you acquaint them with a certain feeling? To me it's just a homeless guy screaming over spooky beats, but I guess you could see how that's a gimmick. Maybe like the music a deranged psychopath would make before killing somebody. But if that's the case... I really don't get it. I believe there are far better examples (although I can't think of any off the top of my head) Death Grips just seems so vanilla at times. Their lyrics are never really coherent or spooky enough to warrant the fact, but maybe that's the gimmick I'm missing.
>>
>>54971061
Direct me there.
>>
>>54971085
NVM
watching this one now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kWdpEnJfxI

Wow MC Ride sounds like a white guy.
>>
>>54971067
whats fascinating is that you can't put them in any box and kanye stole them so it confirms they caught the future of music by doing what they wanted.
>>
>>54971171
In what way though? It doesn't sound very revolutionary to me.
>>
File: tumblr_me4t56wHFG1qfbtx3o1_500.png (677 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_me4t56wHFG1qfbtx3o1_500.png
677 KB, 500x750
>>54971139
>I'm not fascinated by human achievements
>>
>>54971139
the video interviews don't really offer much. Just go to Google and search Death Grips interview

I don't care for Pitchfork, but this one's pretty good -
http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/9004-death-gripz/
>>
>>54970928
>Or is that their gimmick?
Nailed it.
>>
>>54971226
Show me another band, past or present, who sounds like Death Grips, writes like Death Grips and presents themselves like Death Grips.
>>
>>54971280
Well I mean you can say that about any band.

And sure they may be original, but they seem like the next logical step in combining ODB and Mr. Oizo.

Pick any other two bands and execute it well and you'll be in a similar place.
>>
>>54971067
i don't think your characterization of them is entirely fair. like, there's more going on there than 'homeless guy screaming over spooky beats'-lots of really interesting percussion and inventive sampling and stuff. any band can be easily dismissed the way you do, and to do so is kind of lazy.

it's also not really meant to be 'spooky' so much as it's meant to be really energetic and aggressive, something which it shares with punk music. but they effectively accomplish what punk music accomplishes without really resorting to any of the tropes of punk rock, instead blending together elements from electronic music, hip-hop, and maybe a little bit of industrial to convey that same kind of raw aggression and power.

there's also a real pop sensibility in there. like, a lot of that shit is catchy and danceable as fuck.

>>54971226
it's not 'revolutionary' as such, but a lot of people would agree that they really nail it and do it well.

of course, a lot of their aesthetics and their attention-grabbing performance art shenanigans are pretty silly, but all that shit aside, i genuinely think their music holds up.

idk. just my opinion. sorry if this is long-winded or whatever.
>>
>>54971339
You're an idiot if you think they sound like Oizo. Please tell me how any song on the powers that b is even vaugly like anything dupieux has made.
>>
>>54971067
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tWpjJimRz1k
Please tell me how that fits your characterization of them.
>>
>>54971339
But you're wrong. Their music sounds nothing like ODB and especially nothing like Mr. Oizo, who makes very conventional electronic music.

What is it with stupid, weak willed people that come on here to get opinions fed to them from other people instead of actually listening to an artist's work and appraising it for themselves?
>>
>>54971387
ugh just read over this again and my phrasing is so poor, i hope it's coherent enough anyway
>>
"Spooky beats?" You're an idiot, OP.
>>
>>54971387
But it's also the same in the opposite direction. I'm not dismissing them, I just don't understand the overwhelming hype some of you have for them. They're not bad by any means, but I don't think they're worth obsessing over.
>>54971389
Well you're being selective with their albums.

A pretty decent majority of their stuff sounds like Mr. Oizo, but Powers that B sounds more like Aphex Twin or some other Warp Records thing combined with glitch.
>>
>>54970928
1) the do mean something, sorry if a meme band is 2deep4u
2)they don't alyways use electronics
>>
I love all Death Grips, but honestly I can understand people disliking them if their only exposure to them is through Exmilitary. NOTM and NLDW and everything else is infinitely better than that mixtape... plus, every single album sounds different. It's kind of unfair to judge DG based on one record, really.

Fuck I love Niggas on the Moon so much
>>
>>54971433
>But you're wrong. Their music sounds nothing like ODB
>What is it with stupid, weak willed people that come on here to get opinions fed to them
I don't know, what is it with them?
>>
>>54971477
I said it half jokingly, but honestly as it describes the majority of their stuff.

>>54971526
Explain what it means to you.
>>
>>54971520
They've literally never made a song that sounds like Oizo and most of the powers that B is live instrumentation you mong
>>
>>54971433
>What is it with stupid, weak willed people that come on here to get opinions fed to them from other people instead of actually listening to an artist's work and appraising it for themselves?

that's how most of the people here got into death grips, champ.
but to answer you question? people like to feel like they're apart of something, even while trying to stand apart from some things. some people use music to that end, not for any great artistic appreciation.
>>
>>54971568
Guillotine, for example, is death grips take on the "I'm such a good rapper" gimmick
>>
>>54971568
I'm sorry but none of their music gives off a "spooky" sound to me... care to give an example? Only thing that vaguely comes to mind is Lock your Doors...
>>
>>54971423
What is my "characterization" of them? The homeless thing?

If you've ever talked to one of those dudes that screams at cars driving by and shit you'd understand.
>>
>>54971621
You know what I mean. It's aggressive, noisy, hectic, no direction, atonal, and stormy.... spooky

I'm not talking about ghosts or some other bullshit.
>>
>>54971624
Spooky beats with a homeless man yelling. He's not yelling for the majority of the sounds and there's not much added after Zach's v-drumming
>>
>>54971531
I really only know Exmilitary. It seemed lazy and abrasive without anything to make it interesting to listen to. I've heard some of their more electronic songs without Ride screaming loudly all the time, and I liked those. Can you rec me what to listen to from them first? Really anything so long as it's not similar to Exmilitary.

Not OP btw
>>
>>54971648
That really only applies to Exmilitary. NLDW, NOTM, JD, GP and even TMS all have a clear and concise direction and structure for the most part.

NOTM is bouncy and poppy
NLDW is all over but still cohesive
etc
>>
>>54971674
Niggas on the moon and the money store. Pay attention to the lyrics, especially on niggas on the moon.
>>
>>54971658
I'm saying this as a general description of their music. Homeless people don't yell all the time either, but they often do things like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BKqPh5Gv-g

Death Grips has always seemed like a characterization of those people to me.
>>
>>54971674
My favorite Death Grips song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWR0-s30WsY
>>
>>54971545
burnt
>>
>>54971520
i'll definitely agree that the hype is kind of ridiculous, but i can't really explain that. who knows why any band gets popular?

their music is really, really catchy and energetic, which helped them appeal to a wide fanbase- they're really good at crafting great pop songs that don't sound like normal pop songs, kind of the way bands like big black could. a lot of it is also probably down to the fact that the music press latched on to them pretty early on, which in turn relates to the fact that zach hill was already pretty well known and established and stuff. and then their other behaviour- the music videos, the shit with their label, the suicide note, ARG- all that shit just helped keep the music press paying attention to them and keeping them visible.

it's actually kind of fascinating as a study of how an independent band can achieve a high degree of success in the information age.
>>
>>54971955
I heard about Death Grips in 2011. I loved them from the very beginning. It wasn't about constant spamming of them or anyone else's acclaim. I just fucking loved them. I remember when people didn't even know who was in the band, except for rumors of Zach Hill.
>>
>>54971520
DG is great for me because it's what I need sonically right now, it's really aware of its time, most people aren't ready yet but Death grips is what the near future sounds like
>>
>>54972044
i'm a dg fan myself, i'll not deny that their music is great. i really think that the big black comparison is pretty apt- original and harsh and aggressive, but with an underlying pop sensibility that really sticks with listeners. i remember being totally blown away the first time i heard exmilitary- just really well put together. all the songs were unique and the vibe was really consistent, and it floored me. i know it had that effect on a ton of people at the start, which helped kickstart the buzz around them.

but the crazy hype train that we see today definitely owes a lot to the way they conducted themselves with regards to the music press and their general behaviour. it seems pretty unlikely to me that it could have happened this way if not for all that stuff keeping the hype going.

i'm not tying to say that anybody's love for dg is insincere or or whatever, i'm just trying to dig a little into the phenomenon of their success.
>>
>>54972274
Oh, I totally agree. I might get flak for this, but their initial hype is comparable to OF. Look at how Tyler conducted himself after the real fame came on. Odd Future had this aura of mystery around them, and their music was dark, cool, and unique. I remember thinking of Tyler as this ugly ass dude who was going to be a cult artist like DOOM, but instead, he flipped completely. He let the fame get to him early, had his face plastered on everything, started doing commercials, got a tv show, released a subpar album, and the rest. Now any of that momentum OF had is gone. They have a loyal fanbase, he's a household name, yet they lost their edge and underground appeal. I knew Tyler was going to be the next big thing, I just didn't think it'd be like this.

Death Grips started out in a similar fashion. Good music that was in the underground, but instead of "selling out"(for lack of a better term), they kept their original fan base wanting more, let their hype grow more organically. They've been continuing to build their fanbase off their music and art alone. They didn't need gimmicks, at least not in my eyes.

The punk rock attitude of both these groups helped make them into something. OF just handled it shitty, granted they are making assloads of money.

Death Grips still has us OG fans supporting them, because they are still doing interesting things, still have a lot to say, still making great art, still staying true to themselves.

On the flipside, Tyler sounds like he's out of things to talk about, and he seems a lot less interesting with all the spotlight he's brought onto himself.
>>
File: 1428427594735.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1800) Image search: [Google]
1428427594735.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1800
>>54972484
Not necessarily true. You haven't read that Fader article about Tyler, have you?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.