[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/jazz/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 450x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 450x445
This thread is for general jazz discussion.

What are your favorite standards and what are the "definitive" versions of them for you?

What are your favorite cover versions of standards or jazz compositions where the tune is reinvented? Do you think any of them surpass the original?
>>
>>54912276
how to into monk?

i listened to some of brilliant corners when I first started listening to jazz and i didn't like it much. is there a better starting place?
>>
>>54912623
listen to other albums and make yourself a more precise opinion on his music then
>>
>>54912623
solo monk. It showcases his quirky ideas in a positive light. It's a very playful album, a lot of stride and similar effects
>>
>>54912814
is there a good one to listen to first? Otherwise I guess I'll start with Live at the It Club? maybe it's better to hear him in a live recording?
>>
>>54912850
ok thanks I'll check it out
>>
If I wanted to learn the chords to Soy Califa, would there be a way to find them? Or would I just have to figure it out by ear? Go to 1:21 in the video for the piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfYsu3Zlbt8
>>
>>54912878
figure that shit out by ear bro
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 301x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 301x300
any jazz that's as good as this?
>>
File: OJC Remasters.jpg (3 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
OJC Remasters.jpg
3 MB, 1500x1500
>>54912850
Basically this, although I prefer pic related.
Also watch some videos of him playing.
>>
>>54913948
I prefer solo monk but both are great. monk should have recorded more solo
>>
>>54913948
This album is so beautifully melancholy. Great for walking around town on an evening.
>>
File: cover.jpg (146 KB, 450x446) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
146 KB, 450x446
this one is a great solo album by Monk
>>
>>54914133
why it look like Monk straight outta Compton & bout to drop his fire mixtape
>>
How do I figure out the chords of a song?
>>
Who does the best Monk covers and why is it Alex Sipiagin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wUVaxzbwdE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGD0I_zV6E
>>
>>54914224
Start with simple songs. Probably not best to go for jazz first and figure it out by ear. Gradually improve over time with hard work and dedication. Like all things.
>>
>>54914224
Start with the bass note and then the highest note you can hear in the chord. Figure out the rest from there. The more you do it the easier it will become. A slow downer can help when you're starting out and you can just go trial and error and figure out each note of chord
>>
File: lee m.jpg (139 KB, 625x351) Image search: [Google]
lee m.jpg
139 KB, 625x351
is 24 too old to start playing the trumpet?
i have some background in brass instruments
>>
>>54914435
nope
>>
>>54914435
if you're white any age is too old to play jazz.
>>
File: Banjo_(PSF).png (203 KB, 2362x2636) Image search: [Google]
Banjo_(PSF).png
203 KB, 2362x2636
>>54914468
>tfw was only black kid in jazz band in HS
>tfw was only black kid in jazz band in college
fuckin Illinois
>>
>>54914238
never really got the Chris Potter hype. I realize he's good but nothing special to me
>>
>>54914165

cuz he a real nigga cuh.

*puffs blunt*
>>
>>54914244
Well I was successfully able to figure out the chord progression style for 'All About That Bass'.

i-ii-v, right?
>>
>>54914532
what have you heard him on?
>>
>>54914532
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la5HImWKqgo
>>
>>54914608
idk probably 7 or 8 albums, mostly as a sideman and his sirens album
>>
>>54914637
like yeah I get that he's a pretty good player but it seems like all he does is play clever fancy shit. it's cool but i want more than that. like I've never really heard him cut loose and just really for crazy in a more free jazz style.
>>
>>54914690
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEZHoFRKk60
>>
>>54914224
start with an ear training class. if you have a keyboard or piano, that will also help you
>>
anyone have any album charts to post?
i'm just listening to a love supreme and black saint & the sinner lady nowadays
something a bit more "crazy" would be fun
>>
how much more would I enjoy jazz if I had a little experience trying to play it? right now I play some guitar but I only know the most basics of theory. Like what if I got up to the level where I could solo and comp ok over some songs, would I appreciate jazz much more from that?
>>
>>54915313
your understanding of the music would increase quite a bit.
you'd be on the road from pleb to patrician.
the quality of your life would also vastly improve.
>>
File: top10.png (742 KB, 1363x356) Image search: [Google]
top10.png
742 KB, 1363x356
Alright lads, post your favourite things.
>>
I never get a response on this but surely I can't be the only one on /mu/ who loves this record?

this is absolutely incredible and I highly recommend this if you haven't given it a spin. we gotta show this more love on /mu/
>>
>>54916527
I think I have seen you mention it before, dl'ing.
>>
Do jazz saxophonists double tongue for the really fast runs?
>>
>>54916877
they slur mostly
>>
>>54916941
I heard once that they slur passing notes and tongue the chord tones. Is this sort of accurate?
>>
File: wayne-shorter-the-soothsayer.jpg (24 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
wayne-shorter-the-soothsayer.jpg
24 KB, 400x300
>>54913843
I feel that Wayne Shorter is big under appreciated jazz artist. Fucking Soothsayer, Schizophrenia, Et Cetera, and TASE are 4.5/5 albums if not 5/5
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.