[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the point of making music if the majority of listeners
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: hype williams2.jpg (55 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
hype williams2.jpg
55 KB, 600x399
What is the point of making music if the majority of listeners will likely misinterpret it?

I can't help feeling this way about art in general. Help me out, /mu/,
>>
>>54869956
>what is psychoanalysis?
>>
creative release.
>>
>>54869984
this

anyway hype/dean/inga is the worst example of that
since they're doing that on purpose to keep attention on themselves
>>
>>54869956
They'll always have a bullshit team behind them
Art like paintings, sculpture, installations, photography are hyped when they appear trendy and therefore marketable and profitable.

Deeeep down money is a key priority/element in the art world. Investors treat it as investment.
Music isnt as profitable for people however.
I think theres a bit less bs in music but only a little bit
>>
>>54869956
>>54869956
Misinterpreting music requires the listener to attempt to define the artist's interpretation instead of making their own.

Only plebs refuse to make their own interpretations.
>>
>>54869956
OP read up on author's intention and psychoanalysis

Than decide for yourself. Have fun.
>>
>>54870045
My art teacher once said

"No one cares about what the artist is trying to say, it is only important what the viewer thinks the artwork means."
>>
>>54870058
Semi-true.

This is why my professor said that famous artist who does shit painting but still gets high praise and credits are pretentious assholes.
>>
>>54870031
it's funny dean talked about this in his latest "trick"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyzE5QH_x2I
>>
>>54869984
could you expand? i need to read up on this

>>54870015
i think i understand, although in this case it depends on the nature of the release, i.e a laboured over, grandiose concept album versus a run of 50 cassettes of brief sketches

>>54870017
hype williams picture was picked at random
though i really like them even just as a performance act
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 601x408) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 601x408
>>54869956
what is the point in anything, op?
>>
seriously guys i feel so conflicted

the beauty of art is that it's open to interpretation but who can really be said to "get" something unless the artist specifies it
>>
>>54870076
I used to paint so much

Then galleries kept turning me down either due to being full or not being interested

Then all the aspects of investment and bullshit became 100% clear, even if it was partially from bitterness it was still clear.

I havent painted in a year and now my "artistic focus" is on music
>>
Because people enjoy making music.
>>
>>54870097
if youre serious about learning basic psychoanalysis

https://vimeo.com/album/3291908/video/111346364
this 4 part series is a great introduction into explains it all
>>
>>54870144
If the artist has to specify it then they did a shithouse job in making/communicating the art/music
>>
>>54869956
The goal is always to hope that people will enjoy your music, get something from it emotionally. Have a response to it. You might also hope those numbers of people grow.
>>
>>54870184

with music you only have lyrics to communicate.
>>
>>54870097
I'm a bit rusty, its been awhile since I dig up psychoanalysis but here's a very basic definition of it.

There is no true narrative, everything is a perspective. When it comes to interpreting art, the interpreter is already bias with his/her own perception such as his/her culture, language, environment, social-being, class etc.

So it is impossible for the artists real intention to be read by the interpreter since both of them may have different background and seeing one subject changes in both of their view.

Read up both on psychoanalysis and author's intention. My understanding is based on literature but I believe this can be applied on music too.
>>
>>54870238
Why are tripfags so fucking stupid
>>
It must be the worst feeling to bare your soul to people, only to have it slated on RYM by a guy who listened to it once only for the audio alone and dismissed it for being "too wishy-washy", or something vague like that. Fuck.
>>
>>54870241
I would like to add that author's intention is the complete opposite of psychoanalysis and might apply with OP's original post about listeners interpreting with the musicians.
>>
>>54870238
I've never seen such a wrong post
>>
>>54870241
>>54870241
your spot on abit and it's used music alot
especially with most pop records. alot of one direction songs for example abuse the "YOU" factor without naming the girl so the listener or girl in this case. thinks the song is about her
>>
>>54869956
thats why you do onkyo
>>
there is no definite interpretation that you give and determine for your artwork, you can't be an artist if you don't understand that

the interpretation is and must be different from every person to every person, there just is no other way, life and everything within it is an entirely subjective picture
>>
>>54869956
What's the point of living if you're gonna die?
>>
>>54870241
>>54870293
>>54870383
it seems so frustrating, even with explicit intent behind a work you are still at the mercy of bias

especially when a lot of people seem to take music at face value, such as if you're employing themes of drugs then surely you take those drugs
or a hip-hop artist playing a character just to explore gangbanging and narcissism as a concept
>>
Just make instrumental music. That way, no matter what, their interpretation will be perceived as pseudo-intellectual garbage.
>>
>>54870383
>life and everything within it is an entirely subjective picture
It is but nobody likes to think that way. Society always has to have this hivemind thinking while telling people that they're "unique"
>>
You do it for yourself. You shouldn't be worried about being misinterpreted or the way people will interpret it at all, the only significant thing to strive for is personal revelation and satisfaction. Everyone else can come up with their own truth in regard to what you're trying to do, and that really isn't that terrible of a thing at all. Nobody aside from you will ever have a complete intimate understanding of it anyway since, naturally, they didn't create it.
If you're so worried about it being misinterpreted(which shouldn't be a problem if you really are just honestly creating art for yourself) you just never show it to the general public. Keep it for yourself, show it to friends, show it to people you admire, whatever.
>>
>>54870421
I think its interesting you said that, also Andrew Jackson Jihad song, American Tune.

According to an interview they're full on SJW and standby it 100% but some /mu/tants claims it is a parody.

I don't know, I don't care I'm more of the aesthetic kind of guy, what do you guys think of that song?
>>
File: 14456743985.jpg (351 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
14456743985.jpg
351 KB, 1280x720
what is art
>>
>>54870308

You can't really say " I have this speciifc feeling" with just major or minor chords.
>>
>>54870523
Holy shit. "STRAIGHT WHITE MALE IN AMERICAAA" - that one? I listened to Knife Man a few times and took that track in particular with a lot of irony. Damn, I guess they were sincere after all.
>>
>>54870523
I've met ajj live three times
It STARTED OUT as a parody but after awhile u start believing your own shit.especially when you have fans liking the message you brought up
but compare to most sjw They aren't bad
>>
>>54870591
lol
>>
>>54870658
Post-irony in action.

Also being influenced by fans, I guess its a good thing since by doing that you actually 'love' your fan by appealing to their ideologies.

Also most AJJ fans are all cucks and sjws, I mean their music only appeal to these kind of people.
>>
File: meme fusion.jpg (328 KB, 727x739) Image search: [Google]
meme fusion.jpg
328 KB, 727x739
>>54870836
>not identifying as a cis white male cuck

lmao i was like lmao.
>>
>>54869956
Can't make music for the majority of listeners. Gotta make it for you.
>>
im suprised theres no infighting in this thread unlike the other ongoing threads here, quality discussion in here
>>
unrelated but kind of not really

do you have to learn technique to explore form?
>>
>>54869956
i dont know about everyone else but everything i make is for myself

by that i mean im making music i think sounds great and as long as i enjoy what im doing thats all that matters

if other people like it thats cool if not thats fine too
>>
>>54870658
>It STARTED OUT as a parody but after awhile u start believing your own shit.
This shit is true. Watch out with that ironic shit, guys. It'll get you in the end.
>>
>>54871423
i can honestly admit im fucked now just from forcing myself into essentials and being ironic about things and then losing myself. i dont really know what i like anymore or what i consider "good"
>>
>>54871978
It's easy to get out of being "ironic" if you commit yourself 30 days of not listening too anything or whatever you currently like. then starting over

but for guys like ajj when its their job and they have people constantly liking them for it. it's pretty much a endless ride

you can reinvent yourself !
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.