[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just accidentally deleted my 68gb "various artists"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
I just accidentally deleted my 68gb "various artists" folder while trying set up my seeds on a new computer. I am thoroughly buttblasted and want to cry.

Someone please tell me something catastrophically stupid you've done while managing your collection so that I'll feel better.
>>
>>54825490
For fuck's sake didn't you pirate all of it?

Who gives a shit? It's fucking free you moron.
>>
>>54825490
just shut off your pc now and use photorec to recover the files
>>
Sounds like it is all your fault

also
>not having backup
>>
I once sent an important message to my grandma and the corrector changed fridge for fried.

Things scalated pretty bad till I got home.
>>
>>54825499
It's almost all from private trackers, and there's no way I'll remember everything that was in there. It's years worth of carefully curated collecting.

>>54825509
Can you elaborate? I'm open to attempting this but I don't understand what you're telling me to do. Aside from turning off my pc.
>>
>>54825517
I know. I regret everything.
>>
>>54825589
All private trackers have lists of previously downloaded material, no better time than the present to start looking thru them.

My story is my laptop failed for some reason not software-related &, since i didn't know you when i was younger you could see about recovering the files, i lost 15Gb of music. I started from scratch & while it sucked, I eventually stopped caring & started branching out more because of it. It kinda helped in a way.
>>
>>54825490
thought that something my crush did was to flirt with me and I asked her out.
>>
>>54825695
That doesn't sound too bad. What did she say?
>>
>>54825952
no
>>
File: 1355182349444.png (106 KB, 270x260) Image search: [Google]
1355182349444.png
106 KB, 270x260
>>54825490
YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT
>>
>>54826665
I am. To be fair, though, utorrent and windows conspired against me.
You aren't making me feel any better.
>>
>>54825552
very important message
>>
>>54826721
Do you not have a recycle bin, OP?
>>
I've lost my entire music library twice.

I've been cultivating my current one for the last four years, though, and so far it's my favorite.

I'm actually glad I lost my old libraries. The first one was VERY completist and full of classic rock, and the second one was gathered during the heyday of house and remix culture and was just full of garbage.

This most recent one is much more restrained and selective. It's the smallest of the three. It's like two ugly mansions burned down, and now I have a nice, tidy apartment full of only things I like.
>>
>>54826774
he probably scrambled his shit by redownloading his torrent instead of re-checking it. my friend did this and complained for weeks about how all his tracks were corrupted and that he wanted an mp3 validator and i just laughed
>>
It was like a year ago, I was trying to make a hackintosh in a partition, everything worked like a charm, but then when I tried to go back to my windows, it was no partition of it for some reason.
I lost about 100gb of music and took me about 6 months to reconstruct all my music. I have about 80gb of music now, don't worry bro.
>>
>>54826774
Yeah, but some of the directories were apparently too long for windows' file system, so it couldn't move them to the recycle bin, and deleted the entire various artists folder instead of just the subfolders with too-long directories.
>>
>>54826790
you couldn't say it better, that's how I felt back then. Now my library feels like brand new and more organized
>>
>>54826805
Well, my shit got scrambled, but not that way.
Here's what happened:
While pointing .torrent files at their respective folders, I decided to download a few things that were lingering on my list. Among them, the john wick sountrack. I neglected to tick the "create subfolder" box. This is where my troubles began.
I mistakenly sent the album to my various artists folder instead of my film sountracks folder, and when I realized my error I immediately set out to rectify it. I discovered that utorrent had rudely dumped the album into the folder without a subfolder. I created a new one and then dragged it into my film sountracks folder. Or so I thought.
As it turns out, I had dragged my entire various artists folder there instead, somehow now nested inside a john wick soundtrack folder. I believe windows maliciously did this, knowing what would happen next.
I attempted to tell utorrent where the files had gone. Utorrent instead attempted to redownload the torrent, now creating a new subfolder despite the fact that I had not yet ticked the box. Through various failures to point utorrent at files that were obviously there, I decided that I would just delete the files and redownload them. "The file directory is too long" windows said, " would you like to remove them from your computer instead of moving them to the recycle bin?" Ok.
And so ends my tale of woe. Learn from me, anons, that you may avoid my terrible fate.
>>
Same as this, except I had formatted my HDD that contains my entire media collection from random images to videos accidentally instead of the 3rd HDD I had. Didn't notice until Foobar2000 looked strangely clean.
>>
>>54825490
It's gonna be okay OP
>>
I'm feeling better guys. Thanks for the stories, reassurances and insults. I'm backing up my collection now (again) to guard against future errors.
>>
>>54825490
Its ok OP, just use spotify then it's always there
>>
My old 2tb hard drive died.
Lost at least 550gb worth of music
>>
File: Amplifier Worship.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Amplifier Worship.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
>>54825490
I once made the same shit. So now, I have an Excel sheet with every album I download, in case it happens again. And I have a backup which I update every 2 weeks.
>>
>not just listening to the stuff you like from spotify
whats the point of having music downloaded on your pc? i don't get it..
>>
>>54829672
Spotify has a lot of music, granted.
But I listen hardcore punk the most, so... Plus, there's a shit ton of music of different genres that would never be on spotify, I can't imaging bands releasing tapes or an EP on spotify instead of bandcamp
>>
>>54829886
well sounds like you didn't really delete anything valuable then hehe
>>
>>54829672
I find it comforting to know that in the event of an apocalypse my collection will still be available to me if I can find a generator. And it isn't always practical to be online anyway. I have a data plan.
>>
>>54829904
pleb detected
>>
>>54829926
do you actually unironically think of some retarded shit like apocalypse as if it could happen or are you just memeing

>data plan
damn being americna must suck..
>>
>>54825490
>Someone please tell me something catastrophically stupid you've done while managing your collection so that I'll feel better.

Alright anon, here goes:

>Be hanging out with computer illiterate buddy at my house
>Have files and folders open, organizing while we were talking about the hip hop album we were going to try and make together, showing him some ideas for samples and whatnot.
>"Let me show you something, anon, I think you should use it on the next beat."
>"Ok." make sure to open the browser for him, minimizing my explorer window, even go as far as loading up youtube before handing it to him.
>Leave the room to go to the bathroom.
>Friend hurriedly drops my laptop on the ground as I come back.
>"Anon, I thought I was hitting delete to delete my typing and..."
>Pick up computer, over half of music library just gone, even deleted out of the trash.

I still don't even know how that fucker managed to do it, and he has no idea either.
>>
>>54825695
RIP
>>
>>54829964
That's just fucked up, man…
>>
>>54829935
>hardcore punk
>calls others pleb
hehe keep going..
>>
>>54830012
I wasn't even mad at the time. The expression of shame on his face was just too much and I knew he had no idea what he had done.
>>
>>54829939
One asteroid, gamma ray burst, bioweapon, ecological collapse... there are a multitude of extinction scenarios for an intelligent species and very few survival scenarios. It is 100% certain that someday humanity will not exist. It might not happen in our lifetimes, but it might as well. As long as I've got my jams idgaf.
>>
>>54830071
you sound underaged as fuck
>>
>>54830119
Brilliant refutation. I bet you were on the debate team.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.