[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did America hate disco?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2
File: Steve-Dahl-Disco-Sucks-1979.jpg (182 KB, 660x624) Image search: [Google]
Steve-Dahl-Disco-Sucks-1979.jpg
182 KB, 660x624
Why did America hate disco?
>>
Disco Sucks, Fuck Everything!
>>
>>54771011
because gays
>>
racism and homophobia
:^)
>>
>>54771011
Disco is the EDM of my parents generation.
>>
>>54771011
George Clinton
>>
>>54771121
honestly partially this

a lot of it was just a backlash in the us against a genre that had gotten really stale

of course, the record companies rebrand and three years after disco is the deadest thing there could be the biggest selling album of all time comes out and it's basically disco
>>
because it was associated with black people and homosexuals
also mainstream america has always been ~20 years behind the curve when it comes to music & fashion. theres small progressive elements in the urban centres but the majority are backward and conservative
>>
>>54771011
In the era of punk rock, it represented commercial interests, inauthenticity, and hedonism. It was a culture war with a clear victor.
>>
>>54771252
*ahead of the curve

FTFY
>>
>>54771011
Fuck him for killing John
>>
>>54771121
that actually makes sense
>>
>>54771088
70s had disco and psychadelic rock
if you dont like the second you had just the first.
after some amount of time you get bored of the first
if you hates the first after some amount of time you want more than just the second and you hate the fact artists are doing the first instead of other stuff
>>
>>54771011
Because it was faggoty!
>>
>>54771011
it was a homophobic movement
>>
>>54771011
America loved disco in the late 70's and early 80's. Donna Summer is still fucking loaded with money to this day.
>>
>>54771011
The common reason I get from people who lived through the era was that it was all that was playing for the time, but I think Zappa was more on point that shit like the Eagles being omnipresent was more grating.
>>
>>54771765
some of it did but there was also a huge backlash. they used to fill sports stadiums with anti-disco record burning events
>>
>>54771121
It's the same thing with rap music today

I still hear people say that rap isn't music
>It's been around since the 80s though
>There's no singing
>Yes there is
>it's just talking over a drum beat
>I think it's much more than that
>judging face
>>
It was cool to hate Disco in the 70's and people just latched on to that
>>
I dunno, I actually like disco.
>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night
>>
Free Mark David Chapman!
>>
Because it was objectively bad. It was the brostep of its time.
>>
I always figured it was a reaction to something that was over-exposed. You know they way people hate/hated Justin Bieber with a seething passion? Same thing.
>>
>>54772627
i was there...
>>
>>54772734
>being 1000 years old
>>
>>54771011
Not everyone did. Disco was just funky pop music. It represented the establishment and was usually relatively shallow music. The counterculture people hated it for that reason, and they listened to hard rock or folk. Same thing happened in the late eighties/early nineties. Grunge became popular because people were disillusioned with the glam rock and hair bands.
>>
>>54771011
Americans can't dance
>>
same reason people hated on the backstreet boys and justin bieber (before he became justifiably hateable -- as much as one can justify wasting energy on hating a celebrity (a stranger)) and so on
>>
>>54771252
The fuck you talkin about? The UK and US have BEEN the curve when it comes to music for the last century. The rest of the world follows our trends. As far as fashion, the industry itself is run and promoted by blatant homosexuals. There's no denying that. But popular fashion trends pretty much always start in the US too. The hippy movement, bellbottoms, grunge, etc all came from the US.
>>
>>54772942
France.
>>
>>54771011
because nasheed is better in every aspect you can possibly think of
>>
It was shit.
>>
>>54773074
Well France did invent electronic music
Germany/Vienna claim classical
Africa (via the proxy of slavery) got jazz, rhythm and blues and rock
Jamaica covers hip hop
England have the hardcore continuum covered

Not sure what the US did at all in fact
>>
>>54773167
jazz/blues/rocknroll
>>
>>54773167
I mean re fashion

>Africa (via the proxy of slavery)

:l

you know Africa is a large continent? how very progressive of you to lump all africans together

>Well France did invent electronic music
>Germany/Vienna claim classical

laughable
>>
>>54773167
Proxy of slavery is just your way of discrediting the African-American community.
>>
>>54773167
Africa isn't a country Jamal just saying though
>>
File: schaeffer.jpg (28 KB, 540x467) Image search: [Google]
schaeffer.jpg
28 KB, 540x467
>>54773214
>Africa (via the proxy of slavery) got jazz, rhythm and blues and rock

>>54773232
Not all slaves were taken from the same country.

>>54773232
>>Well France did invent electronic music

Please lrn2history before posting again
>>
>>54773241
unbearable
>>
>>54773241
Who would be the African community if Americans hadn't enslaved them.
>>
>>54773313
And who would not have developed such musical diversity if they were in Africa.
>>
>>54773344
Try expanding your horizons past Pitchfork and you'll see thats complete bollocks.

The only thing African artists lack is American payola.
>>
>>54773269
>Not all slaves were taken from the same country.

but they all invented those styles of music? what about those who remained in africa--you're crediting them as well even though they didn't have a hand in said creation?

at least say west africa

>one man
>france

he also wasn't the first (as if such a single instance is possible to point to). way2 ignore the futurists
>>
>>54773313
The niggers got their music, culture, and language from Massa. That's not to say that they don't deserve credit, but claiming that rock music originated in Africa via proxy is either b8 or you're just Anti-American to the point of total delusion.
>>
What about house and techno? Should we credit Africa with those as well even though the blacks who created them were centuries removed from such ancestry?

You see how idiotic this is when continued along this line of logic? Don't you idiots see the profuse contradictions in your reductive system of analysis?

Stay in college aka quarantine-for-morons
>>
>>54771131
Pretty much this

Funk was the hip-hop of said generation

Rock was still rock but less indie and more popular
>>
>>54773389
>but they all invented those styles of music?
>you're crediting them as well even though they didn't have a hand in said creation?
All African-American music comes from traditional African music.

>he also wasn't the first
Yes he was.

>>54773428
Its true though, ln2history.

>>54773487
>What about house and techno?
Came from Europe, they just copied Kraftwerk and lesser extent YMO combined with disco, again, Africa.

just go to wikipedia or something holy shit
>>
Because it's pleb shit

Not sure why plebs don't cream themselves over it though. Guess it just has that stigma like emo/screamo
>>
>>54773565
Kek. It must be a sick life to be so booty-blasted about a country that you have to revise history so you don't have to give them credit for anything.
>>
>>54773565
everything in this post is so wrong yet confidently stated it makes me cringe.

>wikipedia

that explains it
>>
>>54771713
You sound incredibly stupid.
>>
>>54773494
does that make rock the rap of that generation
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.