[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legitimate question, what artist do you believe you are more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9
File: homepage_large.80b2f1de.jpg (20 KB, 319x317) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.80b2f1de.jpg
20 KB, 319x317
Legitimate question, what artist do you believe you are more familiar with than anyone else on /mu/? pic related for me I guess
>>
fucking shlohmo
swear ive seen/read every interview with him out there
>>
of Montreal
Covette
Oh No Ono
Youth Lagoon
Rush
the Mary Onettes
Vanilla
>>
I've listened to almost all Death Grip songs and I can name two of their members.
>>
lil ugly mane
>>
Fleet Foxes
>>
>>54701244
how so?
what does he have aside from that weird noise project and the stuff on bandcamp?
im genuinely curious btw
>>
>>54701311
He has a black metal project that's actually pretty good
>>
>>54701311
he has several old projects from the mid 2000's that are pretty much uknown online. i wish i had a copy of them, i've only ever heard them played live at one of his shows a few years ago
>>
>>54701377
what are they like?
>>
>>54701411
really experimental sounding shit, not really fitting into any genre but it's reminiscent of early ugly mane but it isn't rap at all, more like punk
>>
>>54700963
So many.

Most if my favorite artists are almost completely unknown to the vast majority of /mu/.

Not trying to brag. It actually makes me sad how few people know these artists.
>>
File: 20140902_164649.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
20140902_164649.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Gröûp X
>>
File: cover.jpg (1 MB, 1162x1162) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
1 MB, 1162x1162
>>54700963
catalyst bars
>prove me wrong
>Protip : you can't
>>
Current 93 and Devin Townsend for sure.
>>
Les Rallizes Denudes
>>
>>54701522
oh and maybe µ-ziq. i haven't listened to all of his releases, but /µ/ seems to be unanimously uninterested in him.
>>
File: thaiboy.jpg (16 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
thaiboy.jpg
16 KB, 225x225
Thaiboy Digital
>>
>>54701577
ALL HIS HATERS BROKE.
>>
File: ov35y7oen49pne9y.jpg (50 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ov35y7oen49pne9y.jpg
50 KB, 300x300
i was really into pharrell williams for a while. i've heard all of his shit pretty much. even hung out with him once.

not the biggest fan in the world, but i don't really hear people talk about his shit often.

>>54701232
hilarious
>>
>>54700963
Infinity Shred definitely
Anamanaguchi probably
Das Racist possibly
>>
>>54701577
Isn't he getting deported? I thought I heard something along those lines.
>>
Probably Stars Of The Lid, I've watched all of their live performances that are on the Internet, been to two of them myself, read all of the interviews, and of course have everything they've ever done.
>>
>>54701859
Nah he's chilling in Thailand now with a crib
>>
>>54702332
What is it about Stars of the Lid?
>>
Animal Collective
>>
ITT: people pretending they're the only fans of their favourite musicians
>>
David Sylvian.
>>
Sublime. I listened to them all day everyday for months and I used to have 40+ of their bootlegs.
>>
pretty sure i could go toe to toe with the best talkin bout Squarepusher, Charles Mingus, and to some extent Flying Lotus.

plus some others but doesnt really count with smaller/newer discographies.
>>
>>54703149
Can you rec me some mingus?
>>
>>54703149
At first I thought you were talking about the band toe.
>>
fgh
>>
ariel pinks haunted graffiti.
>>
>>54700963
Motion City Soundtrack, I've been a fan of the band for years, and they're not very popular around these parts.

>>54703149
Mingus probably there's a very finite amount of people here who've really listened to much of his stuff.
>>
ex girl and seagull screaming kiss her kiss her and scumraid
>>
Sia
The Sea and Cake
Beck (possibly)
Anklepants
>>
File: image.jpg (213 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
213 KB, 1200x1200
I genuinely love this band + I never see them posted here
>>
>>54701577
I fuck with this album heavily

Dude has a cool life. Grew up in Sweden, also has family and is currently living in Thailand. Speaks 3 languages

Makes me feel like shit being a boring American
>>
Jandek
>>
Every Indian artist in almost every genre outside Hindustani classical and metal

My music hobby can be a bit concentrated
>>
>>54703893
I would say there's a former punknews.org community on /mu/
Its obvious whenever folk-punk hate bait threads turn into plan-it-x/no idea lovefest
>>
>>54703246
if you're into more traditional jazz, as in expecting a large set of great standards in an album, Ah Um and Changes One and Two.

a bit less finely polished are Blues & Roots and Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus. i feel like that aspect brings out the music's innate and chaotic energy, especially on the former.
If you enjoyed Black Saint, you'll likely find similar enjoyment out of Tijuana Moods and Let My Children Hear Music. the former largely serves as a predecessor to Black Saint musically (namely the Spanish sections); the latter has similarities in, recording, production, all-around grandiosity.

Money Jungle is a fantastic trio record with Ellington and Roach.

My personal favorite is Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus--really minimal at points, chordless quartet with Ted Curson, Dolphy, and of course Danny Richmond. the interplay between them is stellar, while still being very loose and laidback. the record's rawness may turn off some--Curson and Dolphy are panned all the way to the right, with Mingus and Roach all the way left, but kinda adds to the appeal for me.

I get the same chaotic energy Oh Yeah with Roland Kirk--Mingus is actually on the piano for this one. (Mingus Plays Piano for more of that--its lack of technical "virtuosity" renders it a more humanizing and comfy listen IMO)

probably missing some, as this is off the top of my head... but hopefully you can get something out of it
>>
File: cover.jpg (611 KB, 828x566) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
611 KB, 828x566
this guy and his stuff
>>
I grew up on Incubus, and even though they're not the most widely loved band here on /mu/, I committed most of my high school years to that band and still enjoy them to this day. So, I'd argue that I know more about them than anyone on here.

Some honorable mentions are Aphex Twin and Milo. I only got into Milo last year but I have all of his songs memorized. And I know more Aphex Twin trivia than I know what to do with.
>>
>>54704070
Wow man, thanks for this. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this up.
>>
File: braxton unbans.jpg (4 KB, 300x57) Image search: [Google]
braxton unbans.jpg
4 KB, 300x57
Anthony Braxton. Keeps me from getting banned too.
>>
>>54701232
i can name their bassist
>>
File: Illoyal & Bassdeaph.jpg (45 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Illoyal & Bassdeaph.jpg
45 KB, 500x500
Illoyal & Bassdeaph
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.