[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 13
File: lunga ft (1)_edited_edited.jpg (89 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
lunga ft (1)_edited_edited.jpg
89 KB, 400x400
Share WIPs, discuss software and gear. Learn how to make whack a mole eh.

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for posting WiPs
No one gives a shit about your soundcloud, so don't post it unless specifically asked to.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
http://pastebin.com/QXRCaVsZ

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to http://www.rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here https://hexchat.github.io/downloads.html
>>
first for saw wave best wave
>>
still offering to lend a hand in teaching or helping out with music theory, or questions regarding shit like chord progressions work, functional harmony, chromaticism, its all good

skype id is senatordaschle

send a small message about what ya' want help with and ill oblige
>>
>>54679839
is there another way to contact you if I don't have skype?
>>
>>54679989
i have facebook, but i can't think of anything else that uses voice call that isnt mumble or teamspeak or something

though if theres an alternative, im happy to use it.
>>
>>54680042
could you just type me what's wrong with my music after I post it ITT?
>>
>>54680203
sure i can do that i guess, link away
>>
>>54680214
https://clyp.it/skdsdzul
I'm always trying to do something different but I end up sounding less or more like this. I can't get rid of the kind of a jazzy sound that I'm really not happy with because I want to sound more like french middle and russian late romanticism. When I listen to my favorite composers it's pretty obvious that there's "something" in harmony and articulation that I must be completely not aware of but I can't seem to find out what's wrong with me.
>>
>>54680290
what im going to write will be relative to romantic music rather than all of music (really shouldnt have to say this but it happens)

in your track, you use a lot of dissonance and a fair few unstable chords, and there's nothing wrong with that, not at all.

the thing is, a lot of your unstable chords and chromatic melodies are left unresolved or are weakly resolved, they're just sorta' individual phrases that are somewhat disconnected from the overall piece.

there are some attempts at resolution, like the few phrases that are modulated up or down to hit the relative tonic, but it's still a fairly weak resolution regardless.

its true that chromaticism in romantic music is farly common, but a lot of it is used as tension points, to set up a strong release or to add character to melodic lines

what i think, from your example, is that you're using chromaticism and atonality as the actual character of your melodic lines as opposed to an ornamentation (reaaaally bad use of the word here, totally not what it means, but i hope you get the gist)

a lot of people who try to stray away from strong progression chords believe the whole 'its so common everywhere lol must mean its shit' and im not assuming you think this but extensive use of 7ths, 9ths, unstable chords reaching across octaves could be a habit you might need to look into changing if you want to write romantic era music.

you dont have to completely omit it from your work, but try to be sparse.

there's a lot more i can write about but character limit and text alone is a bit annoying to do so, but that's the general idea.
>>
File: 6346346.jpg (68 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
6346346.jpg
68 KB, 500x500
>>54680412
tyvm, gotta work that shit out then
>>
>>54680412
actually just one more thing, i'm not necessarily saying you should use simple chords like your stock block triads, but you should avoid extensive use of chords that ask to be resolved more than others, --without a strong resolution-- like using the leading tone within the harmony rather than the melody, and not resolving it to the tonic.

a -really- good exercise in my opinion,learn 12-tone row if you havent already, and try to write a 12 tone row piece with 4 voices that sounds beautiful, try to make it sound as though it isn't atonal. it's a fair bit harder to do than you'd think, but it's a really good way to understand how to write melodic lines with chromatic tones in it, as opposed to writing straight up atonal passages.
>>
>>54680496
Yeah, I've been trying to compose in 12-tone but shit is difficult. My DAW can do all the reversing with just a simple shortcut which made it a little bit easier. I'm gonna try that exercise for sure. Btw, could you give me a brief periphrasis on what's hapenning in these pieces in terms of music theory? I'm pretty sure they have something in common, that's kind of the sound that I always wanted to achieve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8elza_7Ab6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-9-D2q1XHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xOSUNi8aE
(between around 11:47-13:10)
>>
>>54680700
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8elza_7Ab6g
This is actually a really good example of tension vs release and resolution of unstable or dissonant chords.

it's more evident when you look at 0:13, where every first beat displays tension, with every second beat being a resolution chord

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-9-D2q1XHw

there's honestly not a lot to comment on this except really good derivative use of counterpoint, not actually counterpoint but the composers loosely drawing from the third and fourth species of counterpoint to structure the rhythm and contour of the melody.

what's really nice is, around 1:53, the chord progressions following similar motion, with the root note of the last chord hit being really dissonant in relation to the other notes, but still a resolution from the previous chord.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xOSUNi8aE

good example of chromaticism used soley for purpose of creating tension at climax points, and then inverting it every other bar.

really nice example of theme and variation too.

at arround 11:47, its just stock standard cycling of chords in scalic form, the composer's placing the melody in the higher voicings, where he's using notes from the chord he's cycling every strong beat as a starting point, he introduces a phrase that he varies between chords, making sure each note struck on a strong beat belongs to the third or fifth of the chord on that beat.
>>
I have this WIP for a project on (another part of 4chan) and I need some advice on it. Nothing particular, just advice. Vocals will get added later.

https://clyp.it/5aombtcj
>>
File: 1405684857411.jpg (35 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1405684857411.jpg
35 KB, 500x281
>>54681009
thx alot once again, I'm gonna save this in a notepad and read multiple times
>>
Hello!

I'm working on a remix these days and could use some feedback, haven't gotten to building second drop so arrangement is kinda off atm.
Went kinda nuts with nectar on the vocals wondering if it works or is to messy?

anyway here it is;

https://clyp.it/44rmyyen?token=6c7a95de8b146de2ee7fea946f4c0c10
>>
Hi m80s I'm relatively new to producing but it has turned into a nice side-hobby for me
I don't want to publish anything just make some quality music to pass the time

Therefore I'm looking for relatively cheap studio monitors, what are some good options? Willing to buy used but budget is rather small since I spend most of my money on guitar related stuff
>>
>>54681244
Are you from /jp/?
Are these sounds PC-98 samples or did you synthesize them? I love this kind of sounds so I can't really give you any honest feedback except that when you come back to the original phrase at 1:25 I'd add some more syncopation on the high hats.

>>54681999
I'd add there some high pitched glitches to sharpen the overall rhytm and some kind of a short attack and release pad playing harmonic phrases in the background. After the track finishes I'd say go for a drum solo bridge because drum solos are always good to hear.
>>
>>54682061
maybe go for getting a used pair on ebay? people will tell you that alot of different monitors are the best monitors.

I reccomend u go to a studio gear store and have a listen yourself, stores like that often have listening sections.

the stores also usually have qualified ppl working there also :)
>>
IS THERE ANY VPN OR SEEDBOX THAT ARE FREE I DONT WANT TO GIVE MY SHEKELS AWAY
>>
>>54682192
>stores like that often have listening sections.
>the stores also usually have qualified ppl working there also :)
lol maybe if you live in a bigger city, my local store has like 2 or 3 sets of monitors and they have yet to tell me something i didn't know about literally any kind of gear.
>>
>>54682252
>u live in a bigger city, my local store has like 2

so go to a bigger city? make a day of it :P
>>
>>54682156

thanks for the feedback :) ill get to glitching :)
>>
>>54682266
that would be like a $100 round trip plus transportation cost in the city and whatever other money i spend there. i dont wanna do that saving on top of gear saving lol
>>
>>54682192
original guy with the question here, I'd buy used off ebay but I don't want to end as the guy who bought the shittest speakers possible
>>
>>54682156
Nope, [s4s]. They aren't PC-98 samples, they're default Mixcraft instruments masked in layers of effects. I'll take the hi-hat thing into account though.
>>
>>54683000
>mixcraft
ayy

I had a class where we used that and Finale. pretty fun times.

I would tell you sidechaining would help, but I don't remember if there was a way to do that in Mixcraft.
>>
>>54683221
I'm sure there's some kind of VST for that.

I've posted in this thread before but I've never told anyone I use Mixcraft because I'm extremely self-conscious. :( I honestly like using it more than something like FL Studio, if only because it's way less intimidating, although that obviously means it can't be any good.
>>
>>54683337
Don't worry about it man, if it sounds good, no one really would put you down for it.

https://clyp.it/pu5p45js
is one of the last things I made in Mixcraft
>>
>>54683337
> I honestly like using it more than something like FL Studio, if only because it's way less intimidating
lol have you seen Cubase's GUI?
>>
i think im getting burnt out from prod, how long of a break is too long? i dont want to stop improving but i also dont want to feel like i wanna just quit. what do you do in this situation /prod/?
>>
>>54684212
sleep
>>
for the past two months or so, i find myself leaving fl studio open with the same project up for a week or so, slowly widdling away at it, ending with a detailed track i am only semi-happy with

the quality isn't the problem though, i know that is something that can only be achieved with experience

how do you guys stay productive?

i know many producers are CONSTANTLY pumping out quality tracks. i have no idea how you guys do it.
>>
>>54684212

I had many breaks and switching of daw's, breaks vary from days to months, prob 6 months is the longest I've had i guess.

it always draws me back somehow tho :) been at it for many years now ^^
>>
Will the io patch give me a virus? Most virus detectors say that it will - or do they do that for all patchers?
>>
File: don't ask me I don't know.png (7 KB, 337x94) Image search: [Google]
don't ask me I don't know.png
7 KB, 337x94
>>54684424
>post it

do a lot of projects at the same time, instead of one.
>>
>>54684509
it's fine, i've done it on two computers

make sure you install ableton to the folder it generates the patch in though. it says something about ignoring errors that the patcher generates but if you do get an error it's because you didn't install ableton in the right place
>>
>>54684616
ok thanks friend
>>
how would you react knowing that i, sophie, browse prod?
>>
>>54684957
who the fuck is sophie
>>
>>54684957
>who
>>
>>54685021
>>54685027
absolutely not qts
>>
fuck it, im giving up production to become a writer
>>
>>54684957
>>54685021
>>54685027

my best guess is this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_(musician)
>>
https://clyp.it/12tksatn
Does this remind you of a score in particular? I feel like I've heard this before so maybe I've copied it but it might just be because it sounds like a generic "cinematic" chord progression
>>
>>54685110
I do both. Good luck tho.
>>
>>54685110
write about production
>>
>tfw i go for a wee wee and my dad is in my room looking at my open page of a cambodian waifu simulator
>>
i like to sample motorbike noises and horses :-)

what is ur fave sample sound?
>>
>>54685311
I like to make loud, abrasive strings out of drum samples
>>
>>54685311
death grips interviews ;)
>>
>>54685311
printers
>>
>>54685311
Speaking of samples

I've been listening to a lot of sort of alien-sounding albums (at least at first) like Los Angeles and Water Curses and I was wondering about sampling on those albums. Is the majority of that stuff samples or synths? Like I heard the high-pitched humming sound on this song from Los Angeles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYyghPbtjMI

And I thought it was a synth and tried to replicate it but it was just a choir sample.

And on Animal Collective's more recent albums like MPP. Do I just need to get better with my synths or are they mostly sampling this stuff and just supporting it with the synths?

Also - do most of you go out looking for the right sample for a part of your song, or do you just listen to stuff and hear something you think would be a great sample and build around it?

I think I need to change my approach to sampling, it just blows my mind that FlyLo could take a regular sounding choir and turn it into that song. It's amazing. Or the trumpet on J Dilla's Gobstopper. It feels so natural and obviously it comes with years of experience and practice but I don't feel anything close to that, I'll go look up strange and obscure jazz funk stuff just because I think it'd be fun to sample and nothing sticks out to me.

I dunno.
>>
/prod/ sure is slow today.

guess we're all being

productive

>except for me
>>
>>54686274
la is a masterpiece. every song sounds like a some kind of monster-like living organism breathing
>>
File: 114u129040111.png (10 KB, 352x166) Image search: [Google]
114u129040111.png
10 KB, 352x166
POST UR STATS
>>
>>54682557
Actually, that is kind of the point of studio monitors: to sound really unexciting and boring. If you put in the effort to make your music sound good on them it will most likely sound good anywhere else.
>>
>>54679839
Who are you and are you a professional musician?

I have seen you post in quite a few threads now and although I've not taken advantage of your kind offer I'd just like to say its very nice of you to take time out of whatever it is your doing to offer this service.
Godspeed kind gentleman
>>
File: getonmylevel.png (5 KB, 347x155) Image search: [Google]
getonmylevel.png
5 KB, 347x155
>>54686484
GET ON MY LEVEL
>>
>>54684957
when will we hear the kyary collab?
>>
>>54686772
never
>>
File: 1423427829916.png (40 KB, 760x797) Image search: [Google]
1423427829916.png
40 KB, 760x797
>>54686867
>>
>>54686484
>>54686703
feels good, fams
>>
File: tannoy-reveal-x.png (51 KB, 362x197) Image search: [Google]
tannoy-reveal-x.png
51 KB, 362x197
>>54682252
Go read some reviews from sound on sound or music tech websites of monitors in your price range.
I bought my monitors in a sale blindly knowing very little about them other than they were made by a decent monitor company and they sound great to me. (pic related)
Nowadays I pretty much produce entirely on headphones Beyerdynamic DT250's as I live in a flat and monitoring my bleeps and squeaks on speakers will piss my neighbours off no end.
>>
>>54684212
I usually bounce between making tracks and using my plugins to create samples for new tracks. Been on a sample making binge now for about a month so now I feel inspired to use those samples in a track.
fucking around with samples, effects and synths is great fun and I could probably do this all day every day to be honest
>>
What do you guys use to sample real life sounds and later import to computer? Will any microphone do?
>>
>>54686462
Seriously. And I can't figure out how he does it.

Does he just hear stuff and think "man, that should be something I sample" versus specifically going to look for a sound he imagines?

I dunno. I'm just really confused as to how I get the same bizarre sounds that AnCo and Flying Lotus get and whether it's the sampling or the synths.
>>
>>54687162
You'll never get the same sounds as AnCo and FlyLo, you'll get your own bizarre sounds anon, just keep experimenting
>>
>>54686922
i'm not monitor guy, i was just saying that the availability of decent listening sections/qualified people working in them is not guaranteed
>>
>>54687145
I use a Zoom h2n, go record stuff, plug into usb on computer edit sounds in audio editor, repeat
>>
>>54687195
That's my thing, though. I know I'll never get it exactly but will I even be able to squeeze something sufficiently bizarre and awesome out of a synth versus using samples? I have trouble managing it but it could just be my lack of experience with Synth1
>>
>>54687261
Well you gotta master your instruments to get the craziest sounds out of them. Learn Sylenth inside and out, maybe another synth as well, and a good sampler, and you'll have an enormous arsenal of sounds at your disposal
>>
>>54687246
That sounds pretty convenient, is a Zoom powerful enough to use as a field recorder too?
>>
>>54687145
>>54687246
i use the h1 and one thing i highly recommend if you're not doing it already is broadband noise reduction. i found one called wave arts mr noise that has a vst version. cuts right through fan noise if you're using the h1 at your desktop and just the noise of the h1 itself for other recordings. i like the workflow of having a vst for it way more than having to run all my recordings through something like wavelab or rx
>>
>>54687227
I was agreeing with you. Its always best to hear them if you can, but if its going to cost over $100 to go check them out and your thinking of only buying cheap monitors that $100 will buy you a lot better monitor. I live in the middle of nowhere too which is why I blindly bought mine online

in reality you will adjust to whatever monitors you end up using/buying.
>>
>>54687352
I do allmost all of my recording outside, I'm guessing that'll work well with wind noise too, thats worth me checking out thanks.
>>
>>54687352
>wave arts mr noise
>thats worth me checking out thanks.
$299........errr maybe not actually
>>
Does anyone have any experience with a plugin called bitter sweet? Whenever I try to load it in the mixer in FL studio I can't hear any sound.
>>
>>54687459
you can acquire it through nautical means
>>
>>54687306
Fair enough. Thanks Anon I'll go find Sylenth1 now. I've been using freeware shit but might as well upgrade
>>
>>54687352
I use a Tascarm DR-40, same thing basically. I tend to use an external mic unless I'm recording a soundscape/ambience. The thing does have a mono mode with the external mics though which is handy too.

Also, Wave Arts makes some fucking awesome plugins. The user interfaces can be a little weird to get used to but really good stuff them.

Here enjoy a therapeutic blizzard recording I made this winter. My stupid cat was meowing at the recorder :3

https://clyp.it/psahjlz4
>>
>>54687459
Grab ye eyepatch and pegleg, m80s!
>>
>>54687560
Oh, when you said Synth1 I thought you meant you were already using Sylenth. Master whatever synths you like. Sylenth1 is one of the better Analog ones, keep in mind the different types of synthesizer as well though, and what kind of sounds you want to make. An FM synth like FM8 will give you very different options than Sylenth will, for example.
>>
>>54687588
Aye Aye Cp'tain
>>
What do you guys use for drums? I've been using a few stock 808s and generic stuff and I want to upgrade to something more interesting.
>>
File: a71.jpg (8 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
a71.jpg
8 KB, 228x221
Help me /prod/

Im working on a track with some guitar samples I found and it sounds empty and I dont know what I should do to fill it

https://clyp.it/1znwobdk
>>
>>54687690
drum machine sample packs, recordings of stuff, the stuff that kontakt comes with
>>
File: arturia-microbrute-630-80.jpg (39 KB, 630x374) Image search: [Google]
arturia-microbrute-630-80.jpg
39 KB, 630x374
>>54687621
Not the anon your talking to but I'm thinking of getting a micro brute as babby's first synth, some of the sounds that come out of this little brute are fucking gritty. Is cheap as shit too

Is this a good choice for first synth.

Check it:

https://youtu.be/cagbBg0TmgM
>>
>>54687726
Have your best black friend spit some bars over it.
That sounds about right.
>>
File: fe.jpg (11 KB, 302x112) Image search: [Google]
fe.jpg
11 KB, 302x112
>>54686484
>>
happy house

https://clyp.it/1i3e14uf
>>
>>54688105
>https://clyp.it/1i3e14uf
Totally not my thing, but gave it a listen anyway.

production wise it sounds good i think. Sounds like a kids computer game soundtrack to me. Could imagine a happy bunny jumping about with big ears flopping about everywhere collecting carrots or something? Cant really add anything to that unfortunately
>>
File: 1366158616454.png (25 KB, 329x455) Image search: [Google]
1366158616454.png
25 KB, 329x455
>>54688100
oh
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.