[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ambient suggestion thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12
File: krank161_artwork.jpg (450 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
krank161_artwork.jpg
450 KB, 1500x1500
i loved pic related but am pleb

need your favorite ambient records
>>
though not strictly ambient, if youre into hecker, you may like andy stott - faith in strangers
>>
File: a0544018618_10.jpg (361 KB, 1200x1190) Image search: [Google]
a0544018618_10.jpg
361 KB, 1200x1190
by a /mu/tant, too. much more melodic, if you're into that.
>>
File: daniel lopatin and tim hecker.jpg (69 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
daniel lopatin and tim hecker.jpg
69 KB, 658x658
easy start
>>
>>54670134

What's the difference between Ravedeath and this?
>>
>>54670728
it's more piano driven than ravedeath.
>>
I recently listened to Christopher Tignor - Core Memory Unwound and it was good as shit. More minimal contemporary classical but one of the better classifiably ambient albums I've heard since A Year With 13 Moons.
>>
>>54670728
recorded just before ravedeath, but released after. it's an EP that i believe is supposed to compliment it.
>>
>>54670134
Black to Comm - Alphabet 1968
>>
Valgeir SigurĂ°sson
>>
A few obvious classics since you said you were a pleb, sorry if you've already heard them.
Gas - Pop
SAWII
Boards of Canada
Stars of the Lid
Global Communication - 76:14
>>
>>54670134

If you like that album, check out Ben Frost - By The Throat and Fennesz - Black Sea.

As for ambient more generally, check out Steve Roach - Structures From Silence and Robert Rich - Echo Of Small Things.
>>
>>54670982
Seconding By The Throat, that shit's great.
>>
>>54670134
Aglaia - Discography
Tu M' - Monochromes Vol 1
Brian Eno - The Pearl
The Boats - Songs by the Sea
>>
>>54670134
Some of my favs
Loscil - First Narrows
Brian Eno - Apollo, Ambient 4
Gas - Pop, Zauberberg
Caretaker - Stairway to the Stars
Steve Roach - Structures From Silence, Dreamtime Return
Biosphere - Substrata
Sleep Research Facility - Deep Frieze
Windy & Carl - Depths

Also what >>54670925 suggested if you haven't heard any of them
>>
>>54670627
I found Andy Stott to be pretty terrible. I was listening to Faith In Strangers on my computer which has really bad audio drivers though.

I think Gas is the best ambient project and everyone else should just stop trying tbh.
>>
>>54672329

op here, listened to some

actually thought andy stott was not good and gas pop was just ok, not great

Sleep Research Facility - Deep Frieze is pretty awesome and for some reason i HATE BoC

also Oneohtrix Point Never - replica lives up to the hype
>>
>>54673283
>i HATE BoC
that makes me sad

Future Sound Of London - Life Forms
KLF - Chillout
Secede - Tryshasla

also try some 70s shit like Tagerine Dream and Klaus Schulze
>>
>>54673283
>also Oneohtrix Point Never - replica lives up to the hype
You might like his other, actually good and not 16-year-old-tier work.
>>
File: a0578774066_10.jpg (533 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a0578774066_10.jpg
533 KB, 1200x1200
>>54670627
Faith in Strangers is trash in my opinion.

Luxury Problems, Passed me by and We stay together are great records though.

>>54670134
Try out the other Tim Hecker records, mainly Virgins and Dropped Pianos for a similar style to Ravedeath, or Haunt me for a more ambient style with no Piano

I also suggest giving Dirty Beaches - Stateless a listen.

https://vimeo.com/110094228
>>
File: 1424838975412.jpg (11 KB, 356x297) Image search: [Google]
1424838975412.jpg
11 KB, 356x297
I really, really like jefre cantu ledesma "love is a stream". I even have a personal connection to the album, greatest thing to come down from a terrible acid trip
>>
>>54670134

Normally a little too beat heavy to be quite ambient, but you might like The Field. Check out "20 seconds of affection" or "I have the moon, you have the internet"
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 540x540
Try Christopher Willits OP, maybeeee Tiger Flower Circle Sun.
>>
>>54670134
yeahhhhhhh
>>
Any recs for stuff similar to his harsher/glitchier Virgins-esque material?
>>
>>54673829
I'm a fan of Dirty Beaches other albums, how does Stateless stack up?
>>
>OP asks for ambient/drone similar to Tim Hecker
>Thread posts electronic beat music
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
Any good recommendations for Dark Ambient like this? Even though this album is a bit jazzy.
>>
>>54674452
Why don't you just go over to his Bancamp and give it a listen?

It's a Drone/Ambient album though.

https://dirtybeaches.bandcamp.com/album/stateless
>>
>>54670134
V
>>
>>54674458
Fennesz - Endless Summer, Venice, Black Sea
>>
Listen to some Biosphere.
>>
File: cupid.jpg (132 KB, 1417x1417) Image search: [Google]
cupid.jpg
132 KB, 1417x1417
>>
File: a0013783538_10.jpg (168 KB, 668x668) Image search: [Google]
a0013783538_10.jpg
168 KB, 668x668
underrated ambient/post-metal
>>
>>54674482
Wow. This is absolutely amazing. The saxophone playing a beautiful, thanks for showing me this. Does anyone have a link?
>>
>>54670134
Off of the top of my head I can recommend Keith Fullerton Whitman, Stars of The Lid, A Winged Victory For The Sullen. They are all on Kranky. I personally find AWVFTS to be gash but they get a lot of hype here.

You might be interested in MINT. Gas was mentioned a few times here - MINT is kind of a companion piece to Gas. It is a bit more club-oriented but some tracks are very ambient/gentle. It is definitely more immediately likable: Gas often proves too difficult for people to understand because it is fucking strange on first listen.

You will like Gimu (check out A Season In Your Soul) and maybe Belong (October Language - also on Kranky, oops). Gimu is a hilariously pretentious Brazilian who makes pretty nice soundscapes.

Get every single Pop Ambient compilation you can get your hands on. Kompakt Records has a load of amazing ambient artists on their roster. A few stinkers too, but they are the minority. The Marsen Jules pieces on the compilations for 2007, 2012, and 2014 (probably a few more I am forgetting as well) are all really amazing and he doesn't make stuff like that outside of the compilations - He makes bland AWVFTS-y stuff normally.

The old guard (Eno, Roach, etc.) were doing something very different from what Hecker sets out to accomplish. They aren't without value but they probably are not what you are looking for.
>>
bumping with various ambient-related stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G8iDEaDdeQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jj8CbLqr7Q&list=PLnuNvjXOwAEWDSkUxooj1LYeDb7O9rupg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXOTwpbPaI4&list=PLyNkh-wQ2KB0CLugQpjliBJguOyJNkh5p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7VAlw3d72s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RszchMVvbs
>>
>>54670631
>emily moore
>/mu/tant
lol good one
>>
File: permafrost-front.jpg (211 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
permafrost-front.jpg
211 KB, 500x500
favorite ambient album atm.
being pretty new to ambient myself, can anyone recommend stuff similar to this?

also, grouper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb5ZCr3YkM8
>>
>>54670134
yeahhhhhhh
>>
>>54674734
based ambient dub
>>
>>54674809
have a download for that Thomas Koner album?
>>
>>54674672
Sadly there is none. I've been looking for it too and just ended up buying it.
>>
>>54674809
If by similar you mean arctic themed ambient then check out:
Thomas Koner - Kaamos, Nuuk
Sleep Research Facility - Deep Frieze
Lull - Cold Summer
Biosphere - Substrata, Polar Sequences
Deepchord Presents Echospace - The Coldest Season

Koner, SRF and Lull are dark if that's what you want
>>
>>54670134
https://cashew.bandcamp.com/album/fractured-memories-from-a-past-life-i-dont-quite-remember
https://5-ht2.bandcamp.com/album/nymphaeum

these are both great/I see them in bandcamp threads all the time but nowhere else on the board
>>
>>54675034
https://mega.co.nz/#!IEsAFDpK!G3k47u5SoRTt5J_gx6ayV32DR0sEwV8wMW4V2r6fbrs

>>54675082
>arctic themed
not really sure what that means haha, but i'll check these out. thanks anon.
>>
GOAT ambient coming in
>>
>>54673754
You're confusing Replica with Eccojams
>>
>>54674473
it actually is a jazz album. They call it noir-jazz
>>
>>54675403
They are both equally terrible tbh
>>
>>54675602
I'd like to hear your justification as to why replica is terrible.
>>
>>54675644
What Lopatin did on that album is amazing. I love the concepts and the production is really great - They really paid attention to that aspect of it and it shows.

However, the music itself is just kind of underwhelming. I was kind of taking the piss when I called it "terrible" (I am on 4chan what do you expect) though. It is not terrible but it is definitely overhyped and I consider it one of his worst releases.

Submersible is a complete waste of time for the listener and was a waste of time for the producers. Up and Child Soldier are both obnoxious as fuck for most of their runtimes. The concept behind Child Soldier is really amazing but the execution is pretty bad. Remember is extremely bloated and hard to sit through (which is a huge problem on the album - most parts don't really go anywhere).

Explain is mostly whatever. I like how it slightly serves as a foreshadowing to R+7 - Same style of vocal sampling towards the end.

Sleep Dealer and Nassau are fucking gems, though. Probably two of his best tracks. Replica (the song) is great too.

I get the feeling he was trying to go for a tension/release dynamic but most tracks are either one of the other, and that works really well as an idea but does not execute well. Lopatin's natural skill as a musician and the way he thinks about certain aspects of his art save it from being complete garbage. I would have preferred it to be many short sketches rather than 3 to 6 minute tracks full of flat tension that I actually have to sit through.

Talking about music is difficult but there you go.
>>
>>54675909
You did an excellent job & i appreciate it, at least you weren't just shitposting.

I will say though, in response to
>Tension/release
That I didn't get that vibe, I felt it was all an extreme haze of emotion. Where R+7 was crystal clear, this was a fever dream that didn't quite hit the depth his other releases did, but showed how dissonant & beautiful the nightmare can be. I fell asleep to this album a lot & it inspired a lot of dreams.
>>
>>54674672
If you like dirty beaches you may also like Richard Skelton, similar sound but more somber.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.