[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Godspeed You! Black Emperor put out another one. What'd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
Godspeed You! Black Emperor put out another one.

What'd you think? Classic post-rock right here.
>>
They need to release a straight up drone album already, seriously. With their last 2 albums the drone tracks have been absolutely breathtaking, and in my opinion the best tracks.
>>
File: 1416551423459.jpg (59 KB, 554x921) Image search: [Google]
1416551423459.jpg
59 KB, 554x921
Too refrigerator.

Seriously, nothing but refrigerator and chunky riffs? It either sounded like shit heavy metal or the most boring drone.

And they might just be an accessory, but where the fuck are the awesome samples? Allelujah had some of the best they'd done yet.
>>
FA > ASOD > ADBA = Slow Riot > LYSF > Yanqui UXO
>>
>>54651486
>Skinny Fists that low
Yuck
LYSF > Slot Riot > FA > ASOD > Yanqui > ADBA
>>
>>54651486
You are just wrong
>>
>>54651486
trying too hard

LYSF is best
>>
>>54651449
The first track was great. The rest was fairly monotonous. As someone mentioned before, the lack of samples and other sounds really took away from some of their depth. I miss their atmospheres and narratives.
>>
>>54651495
>>54651502
>>54651519
LYSF is entry-level album for post-rock. Sure it set the tone for the genre, but has gotten stale over time due other bands trying to copy the sound. Not necessarily GY!BE's fault.
>>
>>54651486
F# > LYSF = Slow Riot > ADBA > UXO
>>
File: 1318889246697.png (77 KB, 699x550) Image search: [Google]
1318889246697.png
77 KB, 699x550
>>54651486

u makin me mad yo

FA > Yanqui UXO > ADBA > Slow Riot > LYSF > ASOD
>>
>>54651582
It's not GY!BEs fault, so why should that be detrimental to the album?
>>
>>54651593
It's not, the ranking is just how I feel about it album. I just don't like it as much as others, that's it.
>>
How many crescendos are there? Did anyone count?
>>
>>54651417
>breathtaking
you've got to be shitting me
>>
>>54651582
>has gotten stale over time due other bands trying to copy the sound

I feel like the weird strung-together feel of the final track, especially thanks to the field recordings, is still pretty damn original.

The whole album isn't AS original anymore, but there's still a decent amount of textures that prevents it from becoming stale. To me, anyway
>>
>>54651647
sorry I'm drunk.
>>
I like Godspeed a lot but they need to quit again, everything new sounds the same
>>
>>54651675
It's cause Efrim has been doing more contemporary stuff with ASMZ
>>
>>54651689
Its not just Efrim dipshit but yes they should stick with that, much more interesting band
>>
Godspeed don't put out bad records but this, like Allelujah, isn't terribly memorable. Great stuff to hear live but doesn't translate brilliantly to the studio.
Some great moments still, though.
>>
>>54651736
Yeah I know Sophie and the bassist (don't remember his name) are in ASMZ too, but its obvious who the main songwriter is.
>>
I actually like this much more than Yanqui and ADBA. It still sounds good after 5th listen, unlike those two. I guess it's because it doesn't drag and stop at 40 minute mark.
>>
>>54651742

I think Allelujah was one of their best albums. It was a different sound, harder and aaaaalmost metaly, which the heavy-ass samples made sound even cooler.

But with this new album, it's just like a busted-ass, stripped-down version of Allelujah songs.
>>
I feel as though they pretty much nail everything on this album, the only real problem I have with it is that it's so damn short.
>>
With it being a gapless piece of music across 4 tracks it feels more like an EP, it's a single concise statement like Slow Riot was whereas LYSF and Yanqui were more sprawling and explorative. I've not listened to the bootlegs of Behemoth but I'm guessing the album is basically just that track, just like how the two big tracks of ADBA were crafted in live performances too.

Maybe that's the reason for the shift cause the songs are honed and crafted live it gives them a different attitude to a song that was written in the studio. I think the last track is great though.

And for the record
F#A# > Slow Riot = LYSF > Yanqui > ASOD > ADBA
>>
>>54651449
WITH HIS ARMS OUTSTRETCHED
>>
>>54652303
actually that's the strength of the album. It doesn't overwelcome its' stay like most of their albums do.
>>
>>54651495
my nigga
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.