[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/710-t he-unbearable-whiteness-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: Capture.png (29 KB, 976x272) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
29 KB, 976x272
http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/710-the-unbearable-whiteness-of-indie/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=general&utm_campaign=thepitch

I can't believe this woman is writing for pitchfork.
The immense rage I am feeling I want to just wash over me like a wet towel.
>>
>>54625705
You're one of those white guys she's talking about
>>
>>54625714
Yeah I'm mad and I have no idea why Pitchfork are letting it's "journalists" attack its majority fanbase/followers.
>>
Calm down man, let's not have this discussion now or someone will post that screen capture of facebook where my full fucking name is shown and I don't need that shit in my life.
>>
how many times does this shit have to get deleted for you to comprehend that it isnt music related

take it to /pol/
>>
>>54625726
:( I'm sorry about your butt and how much it hurts
>>
>>54625705
>be black
>be girl
>life's greatest work: making SO MANY WHITE GUYS ANGRY

bravissimo
>>
The unbearable naivete of Sarah Sahim

To me the article shows an immense lack of scope on her part. It also proves once again that the idea of "genres" is often more destructive than helpful.

She refines her concept of "indie" music to solely traditional rock and roll styles-and also sticks to just the United States when there are handfuls of inventive people of all backgrounds making music around the world.

She completely ignores the independent hip hop scene. An article called "The Unbearable Blackness of Hip Hop" could be written and say the exact same things about that genre. Groups like Run the Jewels, Death Grips and Shabazz Palaces are just as revered and integral to the indie scene as Belle and Sebastian.

She is completely ignorant of the idea that music comes from a place of culture, experiences and familiarity. A Black kid growing up in Brooklyn isn't going to hear his parents playing Dylan and the Stones and won't be spinning Radiohead and Sonic Youth. They're more likely to be surrounded by Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Nas and A Tribe Called Quest. Of course there will be those who seek out different stuff and there are examples of those kinds of artists such as MIA who is mentioned in her article

All of this is besides the sad fact that it is financially more feasible for racial minorities (who are on average worse off than majorities) to pick up a microphone and beat making software than a drum kit and electric guitar.

Of course the tweet is the nail in the coffin. Think pieces about diversity, representation etc are always good to have in any industry and culture, even if many people disagree with the points made. These discussions need to be had. But when a writer faces any attempt at debate with "Yes, I got people angry!" instead of proceeding to engage in mature discourse, that crumbles any points they were trying to make-legitimate or not.
>>
>>54625705
>upset some dumb broad wrote an internally inconsistent piece about shit music
>>
>>54625742
I get what you're saying but it's wrong and makes no sense. Sorry friend
>>
File: Capture.png (283 KB, 475x837) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
283 KB, 475x837
>>54625730
this one?

this dude didnt say anything racist though and her response was childish and misappropriated
>>
did somebody say jerkcity?
>>
>>54625752
Fortunately not.
>>
>>54625747
lmao nigga i'm not reading any of that
>>
>>54625705
Yeah that article was retarded, I'm not even white, im a third worlder and i got mad about that shit, top kekking hard at P4K "journalism"
>>
>>54625747
>An article called "The Unbearable Blackness of Hip Hop" could be written and say the exact same things about that genre

Absolutely not

>Groups like Run the Jewels, Death Grips and Shabazz Palaces are just as revered and integral to the indie scene as Belle and Sebastian.

This is also bullshit, especially because half of RTJ and most of DG is white
>>
File: Capture.png (452 KB, 819x734) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
452 KB, 819x734
>>54625761
sorry, that was risky. Wouldnt want you doxxed but this woman happily will ...
>>
Guys I've been playing Windowlicker on repeat for the last 7 hours and I don't want to listen to anything else in my life.
I need music that sounds similar to this, please.
>>
>>54625782

snd everyone in Shabazz Palaces...
>>
>>54625783
Oh my fucking god that cunt. Gigantic fucking cunt wants nothing absolutely nothing, she just wants to annoy people.
She's like Pitchfork's Patricia Hernandez.
>>
>>54625799
You're only proving how good she is at it, grasshopper.
>>
>>54625791
...is rarely mentioned in the same sentence with Belle and Sebastian because their fanbases don't have a lot of overlap.
>>
>>54625811
So fucking what if I prove that she's good at being a cunt, that shouldn't be a job requirement.
What the fuck at people defending this bullshit behavior like it meant anything.
>>
>tfw people in bands you like retweet the link to this stupid article

Cancelled my preorders and unfollowed them.
>>
>>54625834

who
>>
Honestly I'm generally always for more diversity in the arts, but this article was a bunch of nonsense.
>>
it's like you guys are surprised p4k hires typical sjw tumblr girls
>>
File: 1413781338894.jpg (100 KB, 941x960) Image search: [Google]
1413781338894.jpg
100 KB, 941x960
>>54625825
>>
>Pitchfork havent fired this insane narcissistic bitch yet
>>
>>54625868
Fuck off dumb memeposter.
>>
Damn, I got suckered into clicking the link

Foiled again
>>
>>54625874
It's a full-on Colon Catastrophe!
>>
>>54625890
Oh my fucking god fuck off fucking memeposter go and reblog some shit goddamn.
>>
Note: hip hop Americans not allowed in this thread, thank you.
>>
Are you still around, Marcel?
>>
>>54625747
>>54625764
>>54625782
It's from reddit.

I would understand posting 4chan stuff on reddit to farm karma if you're into that, but post reddit stuff on 4chan in exchange for nothing?
>>
File: 1423856215404.png (161 KB, 405x422) Image search: [Google]
1423856215404.png
161 KB, 405x422
>>54625896
Look at you go
>>
>>54625927
I fucking swear I'll get you for this whoever is harvesting my butthurt will pay
I will get you and I will make you pay these tears with blood
I hate you memeposter
>>
File: 1421093566008.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1421093566008.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>54625941
>>
trolling used to mean something
>>
>>54625921
As a non-white indie fan, I think it's always good to see people candidly talk about race and music, but I'm not really sure what this article accomplishes. Do MIA and Heems really consider themselves to be part of the same musical world as Belle & Sebastian? *shrug*
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.