[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is hiphop--even in a mainstream sense--becoming avant garde
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: thugga.png (455 KB, 507x465) Image search: [Google]
thugga.png
455 KB, 507x465
Is hiphop--even in a mainstream sense--becoming avant garde as fuck?

There are a lot of really unique voices and producers flooding the scene right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OpdjbzTIhM

I would consider Young Thug Avant garde in his vocal delivery and the beats Chief Keef makes for his mixtapes are really out of left field for (t)rap
>>
File: ywzihlertjgwjlgxwhtt.jpg (123 KB, 930x930) Image search: [Google]
ywzihlertjgwjlgxwhtt.jpg
123 KB, 930x930
>>54622668
Hip-Hop is not in an avant garde stage, it's in the equivalent of the 80's Glam Metal stage, with rappers allowing themselves to show femininity, to the disdain of some people now and many, many more 20 years in the future
>>
I feel like it's already turning into a gimmick. That whole "conscious" rap too.
>>
>>54622753
Oh and btw the next big thing is african imagery. Right after that whole neo-kitsch-japanese vaporwave thing. I'm glad the triangles and inverted crosses are done with.
>>
>>54622804
>the next big thing is african imagery
how is that in any way new
>>
>>54622804
Yeah, it's called Jewelwave .
>>
Young thug isn't avant garde just unique. Theres no need to label whats going on but progression should be encouraged normally.
>>54622804
thats almost as old as hip-hop itself
>>
>>54622752
yep
>>
>>54622752
mm naw. you're putting hip-hop on a parallel timescale to rock when it moves way faster and more consciously
>>
>>54622804
>next thing is african imagery
God I just want to stick my dick into your brain and kill you you dumb idiot
>>
>>54622804
>>54622957
He means like AFRICA African imagery. Like sacred geometry shit and "the stones," thrd eye stuff
>>
>>54623080
>sacred geometry
not african?
>thrd eye stuff
also not african?
>>
If you want to put it in an art context, it's more like post-pomo shit
>>
>>54623146
No, it's AFRICAN as fuck. And it's becomming more publicly popular
>>
Guess I just can't get into the new styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYJ27otWipo
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.