[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it sicken anyone else when you're talking to people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6
File: normalfags.jpg (25 KB, 625x540) Image search: [Google]
normalfags.jpg
25 KB, 625x540
Does it sicken anyone else when you're talking to people who say they love music, and find out they don't listen to albums in their entirety?

Fucking seriously, I hate how society has become so fucking ADD that they can't even listen through a collection of songs
meant to compliment each other. This act of literally putting your entire music library fucking infuriates me. I can't fucking tell
you how many times a conversation was sparked about The Wall and me saying "Yeah, I really love that album, it's a masterpiece
I especially like the second CD." Only to be answered by a confused look and a pathetic "Oh.. I only really know ABITW pt.2, and
Comfortably Numb." Fuck you, and fuck singles. They brainwash people into being afraid to listen to a piece of music that their shitty
trend following friends might not know.

tl;dr: Singles suck, listen to albums to their entirety.

>mfw someone doesn't listen to albums
>>
>he has listened to The Wall
>hes a dadrockist
>in 2015

i've finished about 3 albums in entirety in my lifetime.
most times i'm interrupted by a wee break or i get the urge to hug muh pillow because i'm a lonely autist

>b-but muh flow
>muh conceptual focus
not relevant in any relevant/worthwhile music today
Unless we're talking about actual continuous academic and contemporary pieces and performances e.g. not albums
>>
>>55273423
Are you using the word "dadrockist", anon? Without any trace of irony?
>>
Only-listen-to-whole-albums crew checking in
>>
>>55273423
>to hug muh pillow because i'm a lonely autist

Opinion discarded

>>55272966
Lots of people see music as background noise and thus as not worth devoting time to.
Keep your frustration to yourself, it won't change.
>>
>>55273549
If you automatically discard the opinions of lonely autists, you might as well stop coming here.
>>
>>55273549
nigger i probably devote more time to music than you

that doesn't mean i have to sit through 50 minutes worth of mediocre crap and 10 minutes of actual good stuff

it's a waste of time.

That's why OP is still stuck with dadrock, i presume

>>55273527
and
>rockist
>ever
which is probably even worse
>>
>>55273423
>conceptual focus
>not relevant in any worthwhile music today

Hahaha. Haha. Ha. Wow.

>being this out of touch
>>
>>55272966
dont worry. you probably sicken someone when you talk about music too. I bet you dont even listen to 20th C composers that dont even release albums. fucking pleb

>mfw someone doesn't go to concerts and experience music as it was intended: live
>>
>>55272966
Hey I'm ADD and I listen to full albums

Also calm the fuck down man let people listen to music how they want to

JUST DON'T FUCKING CHANGE THE SONG IN THE MIDDLE
>>
File: 1429507813368.png (279 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1429507813368.png
279 KB, 500x400
Does it sicken anyone else when you're talking to a fucking child who has just started actively "loving music" who thinks it is law to listen to albums front to back?

Do you ever feel bad about being a music fan when your peers somehow believe all music should be released as an "album" and "albums" are intentionally designed to be listened to entirely when this is probably only the case less than a single percent of the time?

op is a faggot who bought into the music industry's commercial construct... he has fallen for the ideas of the businessman who figured out how to turn music into a product
>>
>>55272966
omg yes. I see albums as a whole and they for the most part should be played whole through it's entirety.

i hate the singles bs that is going on
>>
>>55273590
lolol
>>
>>55273622
Give an example?

If it's anything with lyrics, don't even bother, and if it's with long stretched out segments where virtually nothing is happening, then do not bother either.
>>
>>55273590
Good point, but I can't take anyone with a body pillow seriously, sue me
>>
>>55273682
>>55272966

shit op i posted that before reading you comment. are you me?
>>
>>55273543
still buy cd's aand vinyl ?
>>
>>55272966
it bothers the hell out of me too which is why i only talk to my closest friends about music
>>
>>55273597
>that doesn't mean i have to sit through 50 minutes worth of mediocre crap and 10 minutes of actual good stuff

dont listen to shit "artist"
>>
>>55273423
How are you this much of a stereotype?
>>
>>55273692
>anything with lyrics

Yeah, 'cause only music without lyrics can effectively put across concepts, right? I get if you personally don't like music with lyrics, but how can you logically write off that much music as objectively irrelevant? If you don't want lyrics then you're gonna have to give me a second because that's a good chunk of what I had mentally prepared. Not that you'd actually take anything I'd suggest seriously anyway.

>long stretched out segments where virtually nothing is happening

If nothing was happening, it wouldn't be music, would it?
>>
I had that mentality a bit but then I became more of a bleepfag and realized how bullshit it is
>>
>>55273631
>>mfw someone doesn't go to concerts and experience music as it was intended: live

but seriously live music is where it is at. i doubt someone who listens to albums doesn't go see concerts. they invest time in music and enjoy it. live music is another different experience.
>>
>>55273660
>JUST DON'T FUCKING CHANGE THE SONG IN THE MIDDLE

>when you pull up to your driveway but the song hasn't finished ;-;
>>
>>55273681
>op is a faggot who bought into the music industry's commercial construct

>but it's the artist's work the shitty corp just distributes it.
>>
>>55273590
Underrated me-me.
>>
>>55273736
>my closest friends about music

my clostest friend listen to shit pop40
>>
i did too much acid for this shit flinging fest going on around
>>
this depends entirely on the genre/specific artist you're listening to. if you think you need to listen exclusively to full albums to appreciate classic soul that's some bullshit.
>>
i can't listen to music on shuffle anymore
i choose a few songs then go back to full albums
>>
>>55273810

what are you listening too?
>>
>>55273794

Do you think you are going to get a record deal if you don't deliver an album?

Recently, and on independent labels, sure. The vast majority of the time you can bet the answer is no.

It's also just seen as the norm for the past 40 years... I don't really care personally as long as there are sounds I like, but shit.. if someone idealizes the album it makes me want piss in their breakfast cereal
>>
>>55273839
to pimp a butterfly, just got done with the "THIS DICK AINT FREEE" and could not stop laughing

might change it up and put something else, i dont know, my attention span aint the greatest right about now
>>
>>55273746
>>55273742
No, that's because i only know just a handful of lyricists(artists) that can pull that off, while having worthwhile music behind them.

Good for what they are, but that's not what defines any music as good or bad to me.

Again, probably only matters when your a rockist, too much focus on the flow leaves little room for actual innovation and originality
>>55273711
Nobody said anything about a body pillow lol
>>
>>55273781
>when you pull up to your driveway but the song hasn't finished ;-;
The benefit of having a shitty stereo in my car and no AUX cord. Exclusively headphones for me.
>>
>>55272966
>tl;dr: Singles suck, listen to albums to their entirety.

Rockists who have been on /mu/ 3 weeks and NOW listen to albums because /mu/ told them it was the patrician thing to do everybody.
>>
>>55273867
>No, that's because i only know just a handful of lyricists(artists) that can pull that off, while having worthwhile music behind them.
>Good for what they are, but that's not what defines any music as good or bad to me.
>Again, probably only matters when your a rockist, too much focus on the flow leaves little room for actual innovation and originality

i guess that's where rock fans and rap fans differ. my friends that are into rap dont listen to albums either. constantly switching the song in the car. where i just put in a disk and leave it in for months at a time. Temple of the Dog has literately been in my car for the past 6 months
>>
>>55273895
>Exclusively headphones for me.

i always wonder how people hear like that but then i play my music so loud i cant hear.. lol
>>
I'm the same way OP, i just can't and have never, even as a babby teenager listened to albums not from start to finish.

i tell people this and always get weird looks

fucking plebs, man
>>
>>55273925
>Rockists

i love how there is a term for every type of persoon these days. so blk and wht
>>
>>55273867

> too much focus on the flow leaves little room for actual innovation and originality

To be fair, this is a consideration I hadn't really taken before, but arguably "flow" is present in any kind of music, no matter how abstract. Progressive rock and metal, despite the trend in the last few years to rehash similar formulas and means of experimentation (referring to the Dream Theater clones that have popped up in the last 10 years), innovation is still present in those genres. An arguably, flow and consistency are important for keeping the immersion quality of a concept intact. Not necessary, but at least somewhat important.

I get where the term "rockist" originates from, but it seems so trite and played out at this point, it's become another stereotyped way of thinking of things, so much so that the people who tend to use it are just as much of a cliche

I can give you a handful of lyricists who are capable of maintaining immersion in a concept as long as you don't plan on immediately disregarding them as "rockist" garbage.
>>
File: 1397928981221.jpg (273 KB, 581x667) Image search: [Google]
1397928981221.jpg
273 KB, 581x667
>>55273925
>Rockists

I honestly can't tell if you guys are pretending to be retarded anymore.
>>
>>55273925
Oh fuck off, when an album's ongoing atmosphere or conceptual device is compelling, I've always listened to albums start to finish, ever since I was in high school. I'm sure plenty of people here feel the same way and have for years.

Get out of here with that "rockist" bullshit, I take the same approach with all types of music. When you use that dumb fucking buzzword you come across as just as much of a caricature as the people you use it on. I could call you an "anti-rockist" and look just as retarded doing it.
>>
>doing introduction speeches for a public speaking class
>"Music has touched my life in so many ways, it gives me motivation and helps me when I'm sad..." etc
>goes onto to list their favorite artists
>Skrillex, Kid Cudi, Beyonce, Lil Wayne
You would not believe the amount of normies who said somethin alone those lines. There was a shit load of people who said Kid Cudi too, which I thought was weird. Fucking Public Speech. Apparantly its required if I want to finish getting my degree
>>
>>55273925
>>55273423
>>55273867
>rockist
Fuck off this is literally the worst buzzword every created. If you can grasp the appeal of listening to an album in it's entirety you need to leave. Here are some places you can go:
>>>/facebook/
>>>/b/
>>>/reddit/

Go ahead you underage memers, reply to me calling me a butthurt "rockist" see if I care lmao.
>>
>>55274059
*can't
>>
File: 1411487153381.png (1 MB, 1520x1080) Image search: [Google]
1411487153381.png
1 MB, 1520x1080
What's the opposite of a rockist? A rapist?
>>
>>55273988
Pretending to be retarded brings in the actual retards, which mu has plenty of. Underage too.
>tfw mu hasnt been even slightly good since 2012
>>
>>55273988
>I honestly can't tell if you guys are pretending to be retarded anymore.

there is a name for that. I forget what its called though. satireorcrazy to the point you can no longer tell if the person is crazy or satire or not
>>
>>55274084
I'm not entirely sure of what the original quote is, but I believe it's something along the lines of this:

"Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company"

Which sums up /mu/ and, really, 4chan in general pretty well.
>>
>>55274048
off topic

omg public speaking classes are the worst.
>>
>>55274084
poes law
>>
>>55274114
>Which sums up /mu/ and, really, 4chan in general pretty well.

and the internet in general.
>>
>>55274133
ah thanks.
>>
>>55274133
>poes law

without a clear indicator of an author's intention, it is often impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of such extremism. Someone will likely mistake the parody for a genuine article, or vice-versa.
>>
>>55274120
It's honestly just annoying as fuck. Listening to a bunch of plebs read their cookie cutter speech off notecards with no inflection and non existent stage presence is really boring.

Also, preparing and memorizing speechs is just a pain in the ass, and it gives me anxiety. I actually gave a really good speech on Sun Ra though, got a lot of people to check him out and the thought it was good. I was proud. My other speech was terrible though, and I had a very embarassing voice crack AND a weird choke from talking to long. It was uncomfortable.
/blog
>>
>>55273973
Haha I dunno hearing is overrated. As long as you are attentive to the road and your mirrors, you can drive perfectly safe
>>
File: Teefus,gif.gif (1015 KB, 400x280) Image search: [Google]
Teefus,gif.gif
1015 KB, 400x280
>>55272966
Fuck you. No one tells me how to appreciate art. I get goosebumps from music on a regular basis and have been moved to tears on more than one occasion across multiple genres. And my shit is set on shuffle songs ALL THE TIME. Eat a dick.
>>
>>55273423
so much b8
>>
>>55274252
>Also, preparing and memorizing speechs is just a pain in the ass, and it gives me anxiety. I actually gave a really good speech on Sun Ra though, got a lot of people to check him out and the thought it was good. I was proud. My other speech was terrible though, and I had a very embarassing voice crack AND a weird choke from talking to long. It was uncomfortable.
>/blog

i feel you man. i had to do a 5 min improve at the end of the semester. you were given a quote 2min before and told to sit outside and prepare.

I went to the bathroom to shit. came back and bs for 5 min. basically saying i dont know shit about public speaking. i talked about how musicians need to communicate with each other non verbally and how important it is to a band.
>>
>>55274262

until you realize there is a ambulance coming from the side street. na if you pay attention to whats around you you'll be fine. I'm sure i pay more attention wiith music(so i dont hit someone) than without it.
>>
>>55274302
I had to do the same thing, just a 5 minute improv speech like that going off of nothing. So I just thought to myself, "what is something that if I start talking about it I wont shit the fuck up about?", or basically "what am I passionate about?". For you, that was probably the non verbal musician thing. I did mine about Heroin addiction, worked really well. But yeah, you could probably talk about your favorite band or hobby for hours, so when you have to do improv just pick something you like or know a lot about.
>>
>>55272966
>tfw overheard a girl talking about she loves the 80s
>>
>>55274416
>But yeah, you could probably talk about your favorite band or hobby for hours, so when you have to do improv just pick something you like or know a lot about.

yeah sounds right.

heroin is crazy. there are way too many dead people because of it. don't try it man.
>>
>>55274274
There are great chapters in books too, but you dont just read one chapter and move on.

An album is a body of work. If you want to appreciate one good song from an album sometimes, then cool. If you dont like an album as a whole, just one somg and you want to keep listening to it, thats fine. But songs belongs in a certain context, and the songs around it create that context. Listen to full albums. Please.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.