[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it. I've listened to everything else they've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: niggas on the moon.jpg (33 KB, 608x547) Image search: [Google]
niggas on the moon.jpg
33 KB, 608x547
I don't get it.
I've listened to everything else they've put out and enjoyed them (to varying extents), but this is just a different beast. It feels like a 5 minute track stretched out into 30+ minutes, with Ride mumbling lyrics that at times feel buried in the mix under Zach's drums. Zach's drums sound all like samples of synthesizers and Bjork, which I think grow pretty repetitive. It doesn't feel "full", kinda like if you took out half of the instrumentals from NLDW. There aren't a lot of dynamic contrasts, and a decent part of the album feels around the same tempo. Bjork's sampled vocals just kind of distract and as previously mentioned, cover up Ride's lyrics, which i think could be interesting if they weren't so esoteric. It almost feels as if Flatlander was only half-there for the album. Why do some of you like this album so much? This isn't a burn, I just feel like I'm missing something.
>tl;dr give me a reason why you like niggas on the moon
>>
death grips is shit
>>
>>54491763
Yeah it's a pretty boring album. The thing is, Death Grips fans tend to defend it to separate themselves from the "flock" (read: fans of The Money Store and Exmilitary). It's not very good.
>>
at least icp fans don't care about muh indie cred
>>
It's a lot more complex and cerebral than their other stuff. There's a lot less aimless agression here than on other releases and at times it feels a lot more personal lyrically.
Instrumentally it's more straight-up glitchy and while the Björk samples may seem kinda gimmicky at first, I think it's the most unique sounding album is their discog.
The drums are all-round insane, the song structures are unpredictable and all over the place and everything flows together better than anything else they have released.
Lastly, I think NOTM has some of Ride's best performances - some of his most terrifying, some of his most emotional and some of the most subdued delivery I've ever seen from him.
>>
For a lot of the reasons you cited as downsides, I really appreciate the album. It's more in the vein of Government Plates, where Ride takes a backseat to everything else going on, but the way the beats blend together and cut through one another with the Bjork samples really sets it apart from other Death Grips material. You're actually right on the money, Zach performs ALL the instrumentation (synths and samples included) on V-drums, so if you're not into that sort of single-minded sound, it's understandable you wouldn't like it. I found I appreciated it more as a prelude to Jenny Death, which is its polar opposite in a lot of ways, so maybe try a full TPTB playthrough seeing it as a yin-yang type situation. I've seen others on here cite the stripped-down sound as an enjoyable part of the album as well, but if you don't like that particular part, I wouldn't worry too much.
>>
Not sure what you meant by the lack of dynamic contrasts. I find it actually has more of that than, say, Exmilitary. It's their most cohesive record, but I think there's a lot of variety within that setup. For one thing, Ride's vocals are a lot more colourful than usual. I also really like Bjork's voice so it doesn't bother me hearing it all the time and the way they processed it seems pretty fresh to me.
>>
>>54491842
I like the album just because I prefer the instrumentals plus i'm quite a big Bjork fan so that's why I believe that it is there best album
>>
>>54491917
>>54491982
Proving my point.
>>54492046
Bjork is hardly even there though.
>>
I like all of Death Grips, Exmilitary and Money Store included. I just like NOTM because it plays out differently than those two records.
>>
>>54492068
>stop liking things!
>>
>>54491842
thats quite presumptuous of you to assume that. in fact you literally just made that up. theres absolutely no reason to believe that someone cannot hold the opinion that NOTM is a better album than xy or z. you simply dont like it and for some odd reason feel like others ought not to like it either.
>>
>>54491763

its the best album if you take a lot of drugs

the key to NoTM is to get high as fucking shit before hand.
>>
>>54491763
Beats are chaotic glitchy and celestial with bjorks voice maintaining a cohesive soundscape. With more listens, it becomes catchier (because i'll give you that it is overwhelming on the first listen).
The lyrics are on another planet, ride had really outdone himself. The only thing i would've liked on this album is zach hill with some raw drumming, but from what it sounds like, he had a lot to say about the beats.

9/10
>>
>>54491763
cant fuck with the physical world
>>
>>54492121
this is false don't listen to this. ever. about any album ever.
>>
File: 235948235.gif (1014 KB, 295x245) Image search: [Google]
235948235.gif
1014 KB, 295x245
>tfw Exmilitary is still my favorite
>>
>>54492162
Yes anon, we must save all the drugs for ourselves. Good plan.
>>
>>54492162

>implying NoTM on acid isnt the best mindfuck ever.

Im glad death grips explored more psychedelic stuff for NoTM.
>>
>>54492068
nah, I just like it a lot. not even stating it's better than their other stuff but I do like it.
>>
>>54491986
well i like Ride's subdued vocals, but I hate the mixing and his lyrics just seem incoherent to me.
I agree with the cohesion thing, but it just sounds very same-y to me. I've never really listened to Bjork, but I feel like her vocals add some nice texture, but sort of just feel like a gimmick to me.
>>54491982
On GP (kek), he was distant, but I felt like the instrumentals backed him up, like the fucking opener, where I loved the way it exploded with raw energy and he just seemed like a madman. Here, as I said, it kind of just feels like Zach dicking around with the V-drums as the instrumental, which I think lacks in texture. I feel it doesn't really go anywhere, you know?
>>
>>54492167
fkn source
>>
>>54492122
well, I'm listening to it now as I type, and for example on Up My Sleeves, it's just a simple Kick Kick Snare with a synth loop with Bjork thrown in. There are subtle changes, but not enough to remain interesting. Towards the ending, there are more abrupt changes, but that's only towards the end, the majority of the song was just that boring beat.
>>
>>54492094
Nice strawman.
>>54492100
No, it's been shown that fans of their later material tend to look down upon fans of their earlier material.
>>54492211
That's fine. What's your favourite track on it?
>>
>>54492218
And hey, nothin wrong with feeling that way. Definitely one of their most same-y releases, and definitely lacking the rawness of their other stuff, but the textures it provides are ones they haven't really covered in their other releases which I felt was pretty cool. Nothing wrong if it isn't your cup of tea, though, you're pretty spot-on about its sound.
>>
>>54492333
Up My Sleeves's appeal is not the instrumental, but the lyrics. Some of the best lyrics Ride has ever written are in that song. The instrumental aspect is not meant to be catchy at all, but abrasive and loud, especially in the beginning
>>
>>54492342
> it's been shown
by who? like im not saying that you cant just pull things out of your ass to use as criticism, like w/e you can do that. but dont pretend the shit you say is an observable fact when its just the way you look at it, which, by the way, will always be biased because art is subjective etcetc.
>>
>>54492342
probably Up My Sleeves (especially the TSSK TSSK vocal section is amazing) or Voila (those breaks)
>>
>>54492384
There's that pic which has GP, NOTM and FA at the top, saying they're conceptual and forward-thinking and shit like that and TMS and EXM at the bottom saying that it was accessible and poppy and stuff. Can somebody post it because I haven't been able to find it in the archive?
>>54492387
Yeah, I really enjoy Up My Sleeves, it was a shame that the rest of the album was a disappointment.
>>
>>54492458
thats... one dude. who made the pic to shitpost with. i mean im sure a FEW people claim to prefer NOTM just to be contrarian, but its remarkably unfair to dismiss genuine fans of the album as the result a few shitposters
>>
File: 1420440463221.png (3 MB, 2000x1122) Image search: [Google]
1420440463221.png
3 MB, 2000x1122
>>54492458
>>
>>54492668
I love it when people say TMS and EXM have catchy hooks, but TPTB, GP, and NLDW don't.

I'M BOUNCIN
WOOP WOOP

HEY
IT'S A PARTY
COME EARLY IF YOU WANT TO

HAVE A SAD CUM BB

YOU'RE FIT TO LEARN THE PROPER MEANING OF A BEAT-DOWN

FUCK WHO'S WATCHING

SLEEVES
UP MY SLEEVESUP MY SLEEVESUP MY SLEEVES

W-W-W-W-WHAMMY

FEELS FEELS LIKE A WHEEL

I'VE GOT THE POWERS THAT B
B
B
RUNNIN THROUGH ME
ME
ME
>>
the groove in voila was completely insane once I noticed it actually existed.
>>
>>54492969
BLOWN OUT
BASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54492969
I FUCK IT OUT AND THEN I
DIP
DIP
>>
>>54492668
i feel like JD would fit better on the left side
>>54492995
the entirety of the instrumentals to NotM was played but Hill on a Z-Drum
can we all just let this sink in
>>
>>54492204
i will never listen to notm on acid
it must realyy fuck you up
>>
>>54493075

the airhorn in PSS PSS though
>>
>>54492068
>Bjork is hardly even there though.

She is literally everywhere on the album
>>
>>54492068
>Bjork is hardly even there though.
are you literally deaf
>>
NOTM and Jenny Death are the best grips and lol if you don't think so.
>>
>>54491763
With Trout Mask Replica, one thing Beefheart was specifically inspired by was the sound of one tape being spliced into another similarly sounding passage; this can bee seen in trout mask by its sudden transitions and meter changes. Kind of the same could be said about the way NOTM sounds, I guess. That's honestly all I can say though, I am really liking it now but I don't see much coexistance with JD so I'm not really too sure why it's being made into a double album with JD.
>>
>>54493171
/mu/ agrees with you
http://strawpoll.me/3924735/r
>>
>>54493099
laughed out loud when i heard.
>>
>>54493222
Checked.
>>
Bjork ruined the album for me
>>
>>54493081

its very confusing and disorientating with dark lows and explosive highs, but mostly shit that just throws you completely off centre.
>>
>>54493222
trips confirm
>>
>>54493270
>>54493329
DG has the worst goddamn fanbase
but thanks
>>
>>54492068
> le "music is objective, and your perspective is wrong" maymay
>>
>>54493381
nah but for real i agree. NotM's complexity is in its very subtle qualities, which is why i really like it.
>>
>>54493447
I can't believe I used to think that way
or is my new perspective wrong too
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.