[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>1000+ years of art music, centuries of traditional music,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3
File: 1423665459542.jpg (48 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1423665459542.jpg
48 KB, 400x462
>1000+ years of art music, centuries of traditional music, 100+ years of jazz and improvised music, and over seven decades of erudite electronic music

Yet you spend most of your time listening to metal, hip hop,"experimental", and "indie"?

Please kill yourselves, all of you.
>>
File: 1406216824216.jpg (20 KB, 333x333) Image search: [Google]
1406216824216.jpg
20 KB, 333x333
>>54461156
>>
>people enjoy different things
>>
>>54461156
Link me to a recording of music that's 1000 years old
>>
>>54461156
I listen to more jazz and classical than I do to "experimental" (which is just a meaningless buzzword, isn't anything new just experimental? isn't charlie parker experimental?), hip hop (that I almost never listen to except some exceptions), and "indie" (that I actually like).

what's bad with indie btw?
>>
>>54461156
Newfag who doesn't know music started in 1910 detected
>>
>>54461231
>what's bad with indie btw?
It's the beginning of mediocrity in popular music.
>>
Art music sounds good in theory but it's not.
>>
>People who only listen to classical music judge others for listening to different music

I can play 6 instruments (Violin, Tuba, Trombone Saxophone, Grand Piano and Acoustic guitar), can compose sheet music for small orchestra's and perform fairly often.

Must piss you off I still decide to produce most of my music electronically doesn't it? I mean, the fact that I can actually play and compose the music you can only listen to but still decide to do it electronically
>>
>>54461266
popular music was literally always mostly medicore and indie doesn't changes that
>>
>>54461308
who cares about your shitty compositions? do you think people really get mad because they won't listen to your medicore garbage?
>>
>>54461374
>do you think people really get mad because they won't listen to your medicore garbage?

I don't htink people get mad because they won't listen to my music, if they got mad about not listening to it they would listen to it.

>mfw this guy thinks he is superior because he listens to music

If you aren't creating the music yourself, you are just the same as someone who listens to Kanye West.
>>
File: 1416262597953.gif (19 KB, 153x200) Image search: [Google]
1416262597953.gif
19 KB, 153x200
>>54461266
>>54461346
>>54461374
>>
Hip hop is the highest artistic form of pop, basically the jazz of pop.
>>
>>54461346
Nope, 20th Century popular music was good until indie rock came and ruined everything. Now in the 21st Century, we're in a rut.
>>
>>54461156
lel why do you care?
>>
>>54461408
>If you aren't creating the music yourself, you are just the same as someone who listens to Kanye West.
what a shitty fucking opinion. many of the greatest classical musicians didn't write any music themselves and they were still fantastic musicians.

Writing music doesn't mean much, especially if it's uninspired, unoriginal garbage. writing doesn't takes skill, writing something good takes skill, playing something impactful also takes a lot of skill.
>>
>listens to antique music and bragging about it
>picture of a greek statue

I can imagine the neckbeard with the fedora.
>>
>>54461506
H's probably Ame tier faggot
>>
>>54461450
what do you mean by "20 century popular music was good"? are you unaware of the amount of shit released in that time? there's a lot of it.
>>
>>54461156
>metal
Metal is the art music of today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3hjinpZA6s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVmdFXdBdGs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFsh_jwgKtM
>>
DUDE ART MUSIC LMAO
>>
Metal, hip hop, experimental, and indie (as well as electronic music, "erudite" or not) are the prevailing genres of this historical period. If you can't enjoy them simply because of their structural simplicity, you're missing out on fascinating cultural and historical relevance and shunning yourself from the experiences of your generations - by definition "out of touch". So you go on sites like this and vent anonymously :-/
>>
>>54461545
Just because they play instruments doesn't mean they're good at writing for them.
>>
>>54461525
Yeah you're right, but it was mostly the indie rock records that sucked from that time.
>>
>>54461585
"structural simplicity" and bad aren't the same thing

retard
>>
>>54461603
A lot of modern experimentation and bands that push the limits of modern music come from metal, though, alongside electronic music.

It's because metal's still a very active genre, despite no longer being a mainstream genre, that bands are pushing into new innovative areas that hasn't really been explored before.
>>
>>54461585
>historical relevance
Exactly, it's not music that will stand a test of time. People who listen to it in the future will be the equivalent of civil war reenactors. Why waste all that energy following trends if it will reduce the amount of time you'll have to experience the timeless legacy of human culture in better genres?
>>
>>54461731
You are retarded
Beatles will be remembered in future unlike for example most experimentla and progressive bands, does that make them better?
>>
>>54461763
>Beatles will be remembered in future
(not true, by the way)
>>
>>54461793
How do you know
>>
>>54461731
People who listen to art music in this day and age are equivalent to civil war reenactors. No one but them gives a shit about music from hundreds of years ago just like no one gives a shit about civil wars that happened hundreds of years ago.
>>
>>54461805
How do you know they will? That's my point. It's speculation.
>>
>fooling around with MIDIs for shits and giggles
>put classical on the MIDI
>sounds good
>put tech death/tech thrash on the MIDI and replace it with classical instrumentation
>it sounds almost exactly like classical

ayy
>>
>>54461731
Well, if you follow those trends you increase your likelihood of stumbling upon something worthy of the "legacy of human culture". Even if not, those trends play into the greater picture. Also - although the insecure dichotomies invented on the internet (this genre is better than that, if you listen to one you only pretend to enjoy the other) often preach differently, enjoyment of these different styles of music is not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>54461669
>A lot of modern experimentation and bands that push the limits of modern music come from metal

lol
>>
>>54461811
>No one but them gives a shit about music from hundreds
>no one but people that listen to art music cares about art music
>no one but people that listen to hip hop cares about hip hop
>no one but people that listen to metal cares about metal
lmao
>>
>>54461831
>I'm deaf: the post

ayy
>>
>>54461811
It hasn't died yet, it's still going on even if it's currently at the lowest point so far.
>>
>>54461920
I dont listen to hip hop but I care about it
>>
>>54461920
Pretty much - just listen to whatever the fuck you want to and don't give yourself guilt over it. This site and others like it are the only places where these arguments play out and they are more or less pointless.
>>
>>54461962
you're a retard then
>>
>>54461638
I never said they were. Who mentioned the word "bad" either? I certainly didn't - neither did the OP. That's a nice straw man, though.
>>
>>54461176
el sombrero man
>>
>>54462010
Apparently you are the real idiot if that is the extent to which you're willing to present your argument. You're also probably insecure about your dull opinions, as you forsake capitalization and punctuation to seem edgier and more assertive.
>>
>>54461669
>I enjoy listening to metal and thus my knowledge is mainly focuses on metal bands and skews my perspective.

Explained your opinion to you, free of charge.
>>
Why are classicalfags so bitter?
>>
>>54461731

>Why waste all that energy following trends if it will reduce the amount of time you'll have to experience the timeless legacy of human culture in better genres?

I don't enjoy listening to over-blown, ear fatiguing orchestras composed by people with aristocratic ties that lived 300 years ago. I don't relate with that kind of music. It has a historic novelty and nothing more. Classical is stage music and has no nuances.
>>
>>54461793
>>54461805
>>54461824
el capitalism band
>>
>>54461905
It's true though. Some of the most impotant metal bands from their respective areas are very talented, not only from a technical standpoint, but also from a writing standpoint. I cringe when people say metal is a modern classical, but there's some truth when people say metal takes after jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEo8IrU5MQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9NgBvsifTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTg1u9P6aQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Cro2yxRjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0f-ZxRJ_A

>>54462077
Your post is primarily assumptions, I don't listen to as much metal as I do other genres.
>>
>>54462017
they're not structurally simple
they're bad
lmao
>>
>>54462061
I think every intelligent person can agree that people that are really into music but "don't care" about classical are the real idiots.
>>
>>54462106
Seriously. The only time I ever hear about classical music is when classicalfags are complaining how people listen to modern music instead of classical music that they like.
>>
>>54462106
Ones like the OP:
>Know no one in real life to discuss music with
>Feel like they're in the minority and lash out pathetically
>At the same time have a pitiable superiority complex that accentuates their insecurity
>Secretly know that they're out of touch
People who actually enjoy the music aren't on this stupid website.
>>
>>54462138
Why? I don't enjoy classical so I don't listen to it. Instead I go and listen to music genres that I do like. I would be an idiot to listen to shit that doesn't appeal to me just for the sake of listening to it.
>>
>>54462138
Alright. That has approximately no relevance to my post. Just more random, misguided projection from 4chan: Projection City.
>>
>>54462193
yes you will be an idiot for listening to things you don't like. but "classical" is such a broad "genre" that you'll probably be able to find SOMETHING you like. Also consider how basically all of the music being today is influenced (even though indirectly) from western art music, it really makes sense for you to enjoy atleast parts of it. Why not explore the origins of your music? why not step outside of your comfort zone once in a while?

>>54462199
>not knowing what projection means
>>
>>54461731
Who even cares about the question of what stands the test of time.
We listen to music cause it gives us pleasure. I cant know if a band or song I listen to will be liked in 100 years and thus it cannot effect my appreciation of it.

Listening to past music is like trying to interpret the bible using modern sensibilities.
My knowledge of the influences and culture of that time, in which the music was made , is at best second hand and very limited. This means that I mostly appreciate the music's sonic features.
Why not enjoy music of an "eco system" I have direct experience with and which builds upon past influences already?
My direct experience of the culture that surrounds the music I listen to and from which this music spawns adds to my understanding and appreciation of this music,
>>
>>54462167
>People who actually enjoy the music aren't on this stupid website.
someone give this guy a medal and a prize and a congratulatory gift
it's all 14 year olds OP
>>
>>54462167

>imbyling op isn't just laying bait and you stepped in it

up ur game man
>>
>>54461986
Not only pointless but they detract from your individual taste by polluting your mind with the emotional conclusions of others.
>>
>>54462129
damn...
>>
I don't want to feel like the way I lived my life, all of the thoughts I had were a mere symptom of the time & place I lived. That seems like the easy thing to do, the default for people. How much do you know about 19th century pop culture? Once you admit that the answer is "not much" it's harder to think of current pop culture being as important as you previously believe. I'd rather investigate all the best things that history has sifted through and passed on to today so I actually have some sense of where I am on the timeline. If the things you care about are still cared about in the future then maybe your life will be somewhat less incidental because you passed it on.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.