[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Big Black any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
Is Big Black any good?
>>
>>54400843
listen to them and find out for yourslef

>>54400856
hello erin
>>
>>54400901
Not as good as Atomizer, so don't get your hopes up, cheese.
>>
>>54400843
Probably in my top 3 favorite bands of all time. Listen to keresone and if you like it go for it.
>>
>>54400934
don't kid yourself mike, your name is eric
>>
Hammer Party > Songs About Fucking > Atomizer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Headarche EP
>>
Best band of the 80s
>>
>>54401074
That version of Dead Billy is GOAT
>>
>>54401160
Which one? I forgot to include the live album, which versions of Dead Billy is, as you say, Goat.

Also if the first four songs of Atomizer were a Ep, along with maybe the live version of cables, it would be 10/10
>>
They're pretty damn good.

Racer-X is my favorite EP. Songs About Fucking is my favorite LP.
>>
HEY LITTLE GIRL IN THE U S DRESS
>>
>>54401217
I don't know which version he was referring to but this one is my favorite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdSw2uCtxbE
>>
File: el p.jpg (24 KB, 615x349) Image search: [Google]
el p.jpg
24 KB, 615x349
>>54400843
>BIG BLACK
>SONGS ABOUT FUCKING

fantano's favourite record
>>
>>54401421
That is the one he is probably talking about.

Big Black sound better and sludgier live. Watching Steve sing is also a treat, he is a lot more unpredictable on stage.

they always have a retard at the sound board though, turn up Santiagos guitar and the drum machine, will yah
>>
>>54401217
fuck me I was thinking of Pigpile
>>
>>54401526
>the version of passing complextion on pigpile

Fucking grade A m8y
>>
>>54401217
I dont know man that would mean fists of love, bad houses and bazooka joe would be gone. I fucking love that album. I even dropped like $100 bucks to get it on vinyl
>>
>>54401786
YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE ALONE JOE
>>
>>54401662
Weird thing I like both versions equally. The original works as a sort of high pitched balled with everything very tight and focused. But the live version is such a fucking chaotic experience.
>>
>>54401813
HANG WITH ME JOE
>>
>>54401662
Jordan Minnesota is even better in that live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YAQIJDb7ho

From inute 4:30 best thing ever
>>
>>54401957
Ever noticed how at 5:54 they start trying to wrestle steves guitar out of his hands.
>>
>>54402233
Yeah.
Fun fact: Steve destoyed the other guitar during the final section of Kerosene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YAQIJDb7ho
>>
>>54402670
Fuck me i posted the wrong one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKkUk7g0hR8
>>
i heard kendrick fans love it
>>
>>54402737
wow, original! funny one, good joke
>>
>>54402707
Yeah thats some fucking extreme shit. The weird thing is there shows usually werent this crazy. Look at any other gig and none of them had as crazy an audience as this. The ones in CBGBs were always very relaxed and the audience would joke with them.
>>
>>54401074
racer x has a couple good tracks but bulldozer and lungs are shitty
>>
>>54403003
Ehh bulldozer was really just them ironing out the sound they wanted. Texas and Cables are good but every song on there is performed much better live. Lungs is weird cause its more cabaret voltaire and post punkish than the noise rock they would later make. Steelworker is fucking undeniable though.
>>
yes
Listen to atomizer, then songs about fucking, then if you like those then listen to all the EPs or The Hammer Party
>>
>>54403083
yeah that's the thing though steelworker would be better live too
and the lyrics aren't hard enough yet, there's something there but it's not quite fully formed
I dunno though steve reverts to his edgy nerd persona later on though too, that line about fucking someone's girlfriend in Bad Penny is pretty cringeworthy and there's that stuff at the end of the rapeman album
>You let me shave your pussy
>I let you paint my dick
most of his sex writing is so sad and naive it's kind of cute
>>
HE WAS A PLUG UGLY SON OF A BITCH
>>
THE BACK BONE
>>
>>54403186
Honestly I thought the bad penny monologue was supposed to really cringey and strange. I always felt he was trying to play it for laughs. That being said yeah rapemans lyrics are kinda cringey. I think he was kinda lyrically at a crossroads on rapemen with some tracks being more big black (Budd) and some being more shellac (superpussy). Shellac seems to have much more of a sense of humor about itself lyrically.
>>
>>54403186
Live in a hole I would argue shows the direction they would go in on bulldozer though.
>>
>>54403186
I always tought that Steve lyrics are just there to set the mood he wants for the song.
I think the best thing that happened to Big Black was the arrive of Riley.
Pezzati was good don't get me wrong, but that bastard of Dave was just perfect for them.
>>
>>54403322
I don't even mind the earnest shellac stuff, the confessional tracks on 1000 hurts are not really my thing but at least they're honest. it's not that the big black stuff isn't funny enough for me, it's that sometimes he's trying to be something he's not.
you sure about the budd/superpussy thing? I see them almost exactly opposite, the downtempo thing is more shellac
>>54403483
yeah it's formative but it's not all there yet
>>
>>54403678
Yeah I really didnt like like Pezzatis bass tone. its way to fucking springy and nothing like the all out smash Riley had. Anyway have you checked out Arsenal Durangos band after Big Black its pretty fucking good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkmhcme_bEU
>>
I think that Songs About Fucking is pretty a incredible noise record 9/10 I own it on plastic and listen to it almost every month

As for the rest of their catalogue I'm not a huge fan save for a few songs (Racer X, Kerosine)
>>
>>54403756
Im speaking lyrically. Sonically I agree with you but Budds lyrics are more in line with Big Blacks penchant for realistic violent acts where as superpussy lyrically fits in more with shellacs absurdity.
>>
imo its shit
>>
>>54403949
maybe i don't get it tho
>>
>>54403678
>>54403804
pezzati played on the racer x intro didn't he? I'm terrible at figuring out which guitar is playing but I'll give it another whirl sometime. any late-era tracks where it's prominent come to mind to give me a start?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.