[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to get into jazz? I love BADBADNOTGOOD's album III,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: jazz.jpg (21 KB, 400x319) Image search: [Google]
jazz.jpg
21 KB, 400x319
How to get into jazz?

I love BADBADNOTGOOD's album III, and that kinda got me interested in jazz, but then I tried Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, and that one didn't hit any spots for me.
What are the most entry level jazz stuff that I should listen to in order to be able to enjoy some more serious stuff, especially free jazz?
>>
>>54360946
bump
>>
For you, in terms of real jazz, going with Charles Mingus' Black Saint and the Sinner Lady or Davis' Bitches Brew/or In a Silent Way might be better.
>>
stop listening to BBNG
>>
>>54360946
Listen to le real jazz like CowBoy Bebop soundtrack :^)
>>
Miles Davis bitches brew
>>
>>54360946
P L E B
L
E
B
>>
>>54360946
This is the most pleb post I've ever read.
>>
bill evans, dave bruebeck, bud powell
>>
Listen to Nighthawks at the Diner. I think you'll like it.
>>
>>54362416
>>54362436
this "pleb" shit needs to die.
>>
>>54361596
>>54362406
Bitches Brew is great and essential but I doubt he'd enjoy it at this stage if he's new to jazz.

Davis' In A Silent Way would be a perfect album for OP to start with though.

Charles Mingus' Ah Um, Dave Brubeck Quartet's Time Out, John Coltrane's A Love Supreme (or My Favorite Things if A Love Supreme doesn't grasp OP's attention too well), Dizzy Gillespie's On The French Riviera and Charlie Parker With Strings would help you out OP into delving a bit more into jazz as those albums are very easily accessible.
>>
>>54362578
It was here before you were born and it'll be here until you die
>>
>>54362703
unless we murder it
>>
>>54362714
good idea
protip : you can't.
>>
>>54362578
So do you :^)
>>
File: Bitches_brew.jpg (58 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Bitches_brew.jpg
58 KB, 300x300
>>54362640
I just got into jazz today and it was because of that album
>>
>>54362773
good one, pleb!!
(did i do it right?)
>>
>>54362816
Nope, sorry.
>>
File: covver.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
covver.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>54360946
as anyone who got into jazz, just listen to albums and find players you liken then explore their discog to find other players you like
jazz is kind of a patience game with a lot of very good albums and an occasional gem
>>
>>54362640
For a lot of people not into jazz, a jazz fusion album like Bitches Brew is actually easier to get than something modal like Kind of Blue.
>>
>>54362892
>bitches brew easier to get into than kind of blue

Shit, man. What? I love both of the albums, but Bitches Brew is definitely not where most new jazz listeners will start.
>>
>>54362866
This , keep trying until you find out your taste
>>
>>54362892
In A Silent Way is a much more easily accessible jazz fusion album than Bitches Brew.
>>
>>54362962
For those coming from a rock/psychedelic/funk background, yeah it is.

I know everyone's "supposed" to start from Kind of Blue/A Love Supreme and go from there or w/e, but you also at the same time gotta realize a lot of the same people don't have developed the taste for jazz to truly appreciate those albums. Bitches Brew is definitely the most ambitious and intimidating from the bunch, but overall possibly easier for people coming from other music backgrounds to absorb.
>>
>>54362998
This I can agree to because Bitches Brew is just massive.
>>
kendrick lamar xD
>>
>>54363032
I understand psychadelic fans starting with Bitches Brew, but Rock and Funk are way more grounded as a whole than Avant Jazz. A rock or funk listener would be better off with Modal.
>>
>>54360946
I always recommend a chronological approach. You hear the vocabulary change and the whole art form expand. Just try to have open ears and maintain curiosity. Reading about the history helps too.
>>
File: Berta Maria Waagfjord.jpg (136 KB, 1045x767) Image search: [Google]
Berta Maria Waagfjord.jpg
136 KB, 1045x767
Chick Corea/Return To Forever - Light as a Feather
Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
Bill Evans & Lee Konitz - Play the Arrangements of Jimmy Giuffre
Thelonious Monk - Solo Monk
Shigeo Sekito - Special Sound Series Vol.2
Weather Report - Weather Report
Cortex - Troupeau Bleu
Caldera - Caldera
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
Sun Ra - Lanquidity
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

all of the albums i recc'd are a mix off Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Jazz Funk
>>
>>54360946
Listen. To. Fucking. GoGo Penguin. Right now.
>>
screw all these

A LOVE SUPREME

L
O
V
E

S
P
R
E
M
E
>>
>>54363308
that girls really hot
>>
>>54361596
>real jazz
WHAT
>>
>mfw reading op's post

top kek

getting into jazz from bad bad not meme band and then not liking a real jazz album you plebs never surprise me.
>>
>>54364423
Jazz only gets le real when le niggers chimp le fuck out of their instruments.
>>
OP, listen to Robert Glasper's In My Element. It is a more modern album with some hip hop elements that is still very much jazz at its core.

I personally really dislike BBNG (especially when it is labeled as jazz), but I understand the appeal. After Glasper, listen to all the other artists mentioned on this thread.
>>
>>54364463
>Jazz only gets le real when le niggers chimp le fuck out of their instruments.
so the stuff that dont fall outside this guide, would be called another thing.

You dont call reggae as fake rock, or fake funk, or fake blues, you call it as reggae, so there is no need to call reggae as real reggae
>>
BBNG is the Kenny G of our generation.

Safe, consumer friendly commercial garbage.
>>
>>54364859
At least it gives some incentive for people like OP to search out more jazz. I'd appreciate some fresh blood in the jazz scene personally, sick of white collar jazz students putting out their interpretations of giant steps for the upteenth time.
>>
>>54364967
Where do you live ? Where I am the scene is continuously refreshed with young players, especially in jams, and there's a rule that forbidens te use of standards. If someone recognizes what you're playing, you get out of the scene. I met lot of great players this way, and they're always playing new stuff
>>
>>54365025
For sure. The scene is definitely not as stagnant as people make it out to be.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 350x350
>>54364967
Did you like this? This is a great, easy to listen to jazz album from 2012 that keeps fresh while holding continuous themes throughout

Kingtearsbattrip.bandcamp.com
>>
File: folder.jpg (243 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
243 KB, 1000x1000
>>
>>54360946
try to listening to everything separated, but at the same time everything together; kinda hard to train, but after that you'll be open to not only jazz, but all kinds of experimental music
>>
>>54364480
Robert Glasper is a great place to start. Check out Tigran Hamasyan too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psjWrGkAil4
>>
>>54364455
My thoughts exactly.

Also these are all such generic choices, if you want to get into jazz start with cool jazz, it's easy to listen to but still artistically satisfying, and then go to bebop/straight-ahead from there, THEN go to hard bop and more experimental stuff
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.