[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey Jazz friends. >what're you listening to today?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
Hey Jazz friends.

>what're you listening to today?

>what is your favourite sub genre of jazz?
>>
>>54222057

i like pretty much all jazz but especially fusion, bebop, and modal jazz and such. i really also like that jazz influenced strain of post and math rock that seems to be making a comeback
>>
>>54222229
I've never really had an interaction with jazz influenced math rock, could you rec any bands?
>>
after sleeping on pretty much all jazz after 1980 and accepting the commonly spouted belief that it was all just rehashing of older versions of jazz I've been finally giving some stuff from the last 15 years. Some of it is actually very good and pretty unique.
>>
listening to zoot sims - flower waltz
dunno if this is the right one but take it anwyays https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0193TLJ63Lw

i lke hard bop the most but ive been listening to a lot of modal recently and really liking it
>>
>>54222331

rasinhill
mouseonthekeys
Jizue
fago.sepia
Names
Renaissance Sound
Father Figure
Dumb Waiter
the bad plus

some more jazz than math/vise versa
>>
>>54222338
like what?
>>
File: You're_Dead!.jpg (278 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
You're_Dead!.jpg
278 KB, 658x658
>>54222057
I had been holding off listening to this Flying Lotus album, because I was so afraid it was going to be a really shit record, but as it turns out, this album is fucking amazing.

I have quite honestly never heard anything like it before. He has somehow managed to make Jazz sound gritty and harsh, in a world where those two things usually are considered polar opposites. Props to the dude for making some really quite unique soundscapes, imo.

Also, Thundercat is a fucking monster on the bass. Top notch album. I think it's an album hip-hop heads, people who are into experimental electronic music as well as jazzcats can appreciate, equally.
>>
>>54222803
Dave Holland
Wayne Shorter's quartet
Rudresh Mahanthappa
William Parker
Craig Taborn
>>
>>54222807

thundercat>flylo
>>
>>54222963
I appreciate them equally.
>>
Ryo Fukui
>>
Listening to Brilliant Corners, I wanted to hear what the fuss about his playing was all about
Very enjoyable, I'm still kinda entry level in jazz right now, but I always love what I hear, and I seem to prefer Free-er stuff.
That said, cubop is amazing
>>
>>54222687
>mouseonthekeys
this shit is awesome, thanks for the rec man
>>
>>54223388
>still kinda entry level in jazz
>prefer free-er stuff

nigga please
you will probably insist that you like free jazz the best for quite a few months before you go back and dig into bebop and hard bop and then eventually come back to free jazz and realize you didn't even come close to understanding what you were listening to at first
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1600
This record is absolutely stellar.
>>
>>54223786
I'm indulging myself in some Charlie Parker, so yeah I'm also listening to Bebop
I wouldn't say I don't understand what I'm listening to, I'm competent in music theory and I'm interested in complex music. I guess I just prefer the interesting nature of free stuff.
Playing in a Big Band developed my interest for jazz, now I want to have something to listen to for interest, like a thing to test my music knowledge I guess
>>
I miss real jazz threads
>>
I never get into these threads, I don't know shit about Jazz, trying to get into it, any recs?

Answering to your questions
>Buddy Rich
>Swing so far
>>
I'm currently listening to Art Blakey and need more hard bop. Help me nuggers!
>>
>>54224209
Horace Silver nigga
Cannonball
Hank Mobley
>>
Is jtg dead ?
>>
>>54222057
finally!

listened to a pete la roca album earlier and listening to kenny dorham now.

favorite sub genre is modal
>>
>>54222057

Coltrane

Modal
>>
>>54224253
thankies, will check them out
>>
>>54224255
according to the archive the last time he posted was feb 25
>>
>>54224095
i feel you brother.

there were times where jazz thread were the best in this board. Super informative and friendly and comfy.

jtg where are you bro?
>>
>>54224095
What do you mean?
>>
>>54223786
But free jazz is inherently plebbier as it is more enjoyable from a listening standpoint if you don't know any of the theory behind it.
>>
Anybody got some Billie Holiday recs?
>>
>>54224397
Because there is often very little theory behind it. If you only approach jazz from a theory standpoint you still aren't getting the whole picture.

Free jazz is more enjoyable of you understand the history and tradition out of which it grew. Even though it is harmonically and rhythmically more loose than bebop/hard bop/modal whatever, you can often still pick out some elements of influence from these earlier styles, whether it be phrasing, blues idioms, rhythmic patterns, or melodic statements.
>>
if anyone is interested in oriental jazz go check out dhafer youssef :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9INsERNFUo
>>
I've always been a fan of modal & hardbop but lately ive gotten into a lot of avant-garde stuff. Lanquidity by Sun Ra is a great album
>>
Good 'ol swing boi
>>
>>54222057
Sun Ra, John Coltrane.

For some reason I have a shit-ton of gypsy jazz and generally like swing.
>>
File: 204_foto1_product_groot.jpg (35 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
204_foto1_product_groot.jpg
35 KB, 400x400
Any love for this album?
>>
>>54224974
yea portrait of tracy is fucking genius. and herbie plays like crazy there too.
>>
people u need to check this out now am telling ya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qWjdwTRPZo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPE25npYhDI
>>
File: Herbie.jpg (597 KB, 1393x1386) Image search: [Google]
Herbie.jpg
597 KB, 1393x1386
>>54223905
10/10
>>
I just listen to Gato Barbieri's Latin America the other day. Highly recommend. Easily one of the most cathartic records I've ever heard.

My favorite sub-genres of jazz are fusion, post-bop (if there is such a thing), avant-garde, and free jazz.
>>
File: cover.jpg (142 KB, 1465x1321) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
142 KB, 1465x1321
>>54224974
I like Pastorius playing on Trilogue - Live at the Berlin jazz days

I have recently been tricked by the lineup of pic related, which didn't pleased me at all. maybe the fact that it was recorded to be used as the soundtrack of a Michael Snow movie should have warned me
>>
File: cover.jpg (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
30 KB, 300x300
>>54226363
otherwise I'm listening to pic related atm , enjoying it a lot, Petit and Vitous communicate really well together
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.