[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
What's /mu/'s opinion on grime music?
I think it could honestly blow up this year. From what I've noticed, grime is currently undergoing a massive resurgence in London, similar to what happened in New York recently with the revival of old-school boom bap in the Beast Coast movement.
With MCs like Skepta and Dizzee returning to the scene, and new MCs like Stormzy and Novelist making waves and looking extremely promising, grime could honestly come to mainstream attention.
And I'm not saying that it'd become all poppy. Joey Bada$$ just released an album that was heavily inspired by 90s New York hip-hop, and it sold more in its first week than both Iggy and Macklemore did, simply because of the massive fanbase he's created from his oldschool style.
I honestly think niggas like Skepta could do similar things with their albums, especially considering Grime is becoming the 'cool' genre again in the London estates.
>>
back to your containment thread

>>>/bleep/
>>
>>53966252
rip plastic ppl
rip fabric soon
rip london
rip
>>
>>53966290
>implying man like Skepta belong in /bleep/
It'd fit in better in a hip-hop thread.
And I'm trying to get /mu/'s opinion on the genre, and my prediction.
>>
grime is shit
>>
>>53966339
>implying grime isnt bleep
>>
>>53966339
It would be better left on chavs stolen smartphones on the back of buses and outside tesco express'
>>
>>53966382
Bit of a generalisation though.
>>
>>53966290
back to ur shoegaze thread and beans on toast
>>
Grime is just trendy now to americans
>>
>>53966252
>grime is currently undergoing a massive resurgence in London

Not in a good way though. Yes German Whip was really popular but it was also shit. #that'snotme and On A Level were also popular and slightly less shit but neither Wiley or Skepta have made any actual Grime for a long time now.

Also Grime has gone from being the thing listened to by black 15yr old kids from London suburbs to the thing listened to be middle class white sixth formers. I don't know why that happened but it seems to be the case.

>>53966339
>mplying man like Skepta belong in /bleep/
You are vastly retarded. Skepta's productions used to be top tier, they're still okay now even.
>>
>>53966373
Maybe on its own it is, but with an MC over it, no I wouldn't consider it /bleep/. Yeah the beats make bleepy noises but I doubt the mandem on /bleep/ listen to Stormzy.
>>
>>53966639
lmao ok mate
>>
I only have and listen to boy in da corner, can someone provide me - and other anons who are interested - a list of artists and albums?
>>
>>53966365
*the
>>
>>53966252
boy in da corner was good
dunno much about other stuff
>>
>>53966631
Nah, honestly its blowing up with those sixth formers yeah, but its coming up in London estates as well. Look at man like Novelist. If he came out 2 years ago he'd probably be making Rick Ross type shit like fucking Sneakbo.

I'm not dissing or praising Skepta's production skills. I'm just saying that he doesn't really belong in /bleep/. I doubt guys in /bleep/ would appreciate me trying to start a conversation about grime MCs. That's not really their niche.
>>
>>53966639
>wouldn't consider it /bleep/
Do you even know what you on about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtMbGcsdBuA

>>53966663
>Albums
But whatever
http://pastebin.com/xD2KMgZk
>>
File: 1368749506255.gif (474 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1368749506255.gif
474 KB, 200x150
>/mu/ now dickriding grime after Manlet West "discovered" it
>>
one problem when people talk about grime is that they use released singles as a point of comparison/review.

the essence of grime is in live sets in clubs with djs, mcs, reloads, gun fingers.

even sets of youtube/soundcloud are better than released tracks by grime artists
>>
>>53966785
ok so what do you suggest besides moving to east london and hanging out with nigerian lads
>>
>>53966747
Oh don't get me wrong, the sound is very /bleep/, but do you really think they'd want to talk about the MC side of it?
>>
I went to school near London so I listened to a decent amount of grime like 8/9/10 years ago but grime is so specific to London and not even the entire city so it's hard to imagine it reaching mainstream levels even in the UK (apart from the very rare exceptions like Boy in da Corner which everyone heard).
>>
>>53966812
nigerian lads in london listen to chris brown and any us hip hop banger circulating on vine

#WhiteKidsKeepingGrimeAlive2015
>>
>>53966837
Depends who's in it.

>>53966842
Grime hasn't been about just E3 since 2003. My second favourite crew is from Brixton and my third favourite is from Bedford.
>>
any intelligent grime man in? mumdance, logos, the list can go on...
>>
>>53966876
To be fair, grime's been really blowing up again in the past year. Like the original post said, grime is going through a revival similar to boom-bap in NY.
>>
it's shite. the beats sound like a 13 year old messing around on garageband
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.