[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does this album generally disliked? Almost Discovery tier imho.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: Random_Access_Memories.jpg (21 KB, 329x329) Image search: [Google]
Random_Access_Memories.jpg
21 KB, 329x329
Why does this album generally disliked? Almost Discovery tier imho.
>>
people wanted another Discovery, and instead they got a Steely Dan record.

i like Steely Dan, though, so i thought it was just fine.
>>
I liked it a lot. I wouldn't say Discovery tier just because of Giorgio by Moroder.
>>
>>53818957
Let's see
get lucky got spammed to hell and back

album is very very boring no replay value at all.

I think daft punk themselves took the piss for some extra cash
>>
People expected a 16/10 record, then got a 9.5/10 one. Overhyping kills good albums.
>>
the first sample they premiered on SNL was sick, and then it just went downhill from there
maybe 3 memorable songs on the album (Get Lucky, Doin' It Right, Contact)
propelled Pharrell into the ultra-mainstream which then gave us Happy - make of that what you will
>>
File: tumblr_lfyss7QI831qe91wdo1_250.jpg (399 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lfyss7QI831qe91wdo1_250.jpg
399 KB, 250x188
>>53818957

>disco
>daft punk

does not end well
>>
>>53818957
1. the whole album is sustained by a clumsy sense of nostalgia.
2. most of the songs are based on simple chord progressions that keep on repeat from the beginning to the end of the songs.
3. the robotic voices are incredibly sickening.
4. the songs are too slow for being considered disco. might it can be better appreciated if heard before going to sleep.
>>
>>53818957
Panda Bear track is GOAT
>>
>>53819076
You didn't like Touch? Lose Yourself To Dance? The Game of Love?
>>
>>53819014
>no replay value at all
haha no. where i am the whole album was played in full at every party and no one (but me) complained

i think its a very good album OP. it was hated here on /mu/ because it was overhyped and creatively a shift in direction for the group - more importantly, a shift toward mainstream appeal, and /mu/ can't enjoy something popular unless it's kanye
>>
>>53819106
>2. most of the songs are based on simple chord progressions that keep on repeat from the beginning to the end of the songs.
>3. the robotic voices are incredibly sickening.
You do realize we're talking about Daft Punk, right?
>>
>>53819110
fraid not, not to knock those songs but they just didnt stick out
RAM is literally " :/ " the album
>>
>>53819126
>where i am the whole album was played in full at every party and no one (but me) complained
vomitrocious- that's a symptom of people liking daft punk more as a concept than for their execution

i'd rather hear buyer's market at a party than touch
>>
>>53819014
Get Lucky is spammed, yet the album has no replay value?

???
>>
>>53819200
I mean they're certainly no classics, but i enjoyed them. I saw the reaction before I heard the album, so I went in expecting something completely different from them.
>>
>>53819230
spammed on radio / tv constantly, i.e. gets annoying quick
>>
Daft Punk are for rocktards who don't like dance music.

So /mu/ basically.
>>
>>53819242
but you said the album has no replay value. the album must have at least SOME replay value for a song from the album to be spammed
>>
Most of the songs on the album are catchy as fuck, it has loads of replay value.
>>
>>53819277
>the album must have at least SOME replay value for a song from the album to be spammed
aint you a clever lil princess

it actually has to be enjoyed too for it to have replay value

things don't just have replay value cause itunes installed a repeat button

you daft idiot
>>
>>53819277
i wasnt the guy you were replying to but i digress
album =/= single, many albums have spawned relatively successful singles, yet the albums they are found on are lackluster
the single is good, the album as a whole doesn't reach the highs that an album like Discovery did
>>
>>53818957
uh it was generally well received and it has a ton of replay value
>>
>>53818957
Daft Punk are the Foo Fighters of electronic music.
>>
>HURR WE'RE GOING TO USE REAL MUSICIANS TO PUT THE MAGIC BACK INTO MUSIC
>use musicians in exactly the same way as they would use a sampler except now actually with "write part of my song for me" functionality
fucking idiots
>>53819339
this is now correctamundo
>>
>>53818957
>Why does this album generally disliked? Almost Discovery tier imho.
oh wow what an achievement!!11!°!1!!

spoiler: the only good album daft punk has put out is homework, get rekt plebs
>>
>>53819376
jesus, i've been waiting for someone like you
>>
>>53819004
>Giorgio by Moroder
>not the best song on RAM
>>
>>53819487
With Giorgio talking half the damn song it's almost impossible to listen to.
>>
>>53819448
you know i'm right bby ;)
>>
>>53818957
I hate when people use this as their basis dismissing an album but it's my honest criticism of R.A.M.: I think the album is boring. I think Get Lucky and Doin' It Right are great songs, but the rest of the album sounds very bland and safe to me with hooks that I just don't care about. I get what they were going for with the album and appreciate the sentiment of disco-made-by-house musicians, but the songs just didn't feel particularly strong to me.
>>
>>53819562
You aren't, he is
>>53819339
>>
>>53819541

>half the damn song
only talks for about a minute and half, the song is almost 10 mins length.

guess what, the song is called Giorgio by Moroder and he talks about his career as the musician he is, that's what the song is about.
>>
>>53818994
in what universe is steely dan disco?
>>
>>53819643
nice samefaggotry
>>
>>53819671
/mu/
>>
>>53819628
I think Get Lucky is probably the worst song. It's very boring. The rest of the album is pretty good.
>>
i think it's alright as a collection of songs but it doesn't work for me as a full album. i think the sequencing is pretty strange.
>>
File: 1414336948875.jpg (64 KB, 365x354) Image search: [Google]
1414336948875.jpg
64 KB, 365x354
>>53819376
>mfw
>>
>>53819665
So there's a full minute of bullshit before the song actually starts. I don't want to hear it. I want to listen to music. I'll fuckin wiki him if I want to learn about him.
>>
>>53819711
This. I don't really get what the appeal of Get Lucky is. It's just Pharrel crooning the same several lines over a jangly guitar for several minutes. It would be different if there was some unpredictable element that added variation or simply variation on the song itself but it feels too much like listening to the same chorus ad infinitum for comfort.
>>
Beyond and Motherboard were the highlights of the album by far for me. I struggle to take any of you guys seriously when you don't even acknowledge the good tracks the album has going for it.

That said, there are a ton of flaws too. None of the track-long changes in direction the album had were good ideas imo. Touch, Fragments of time, and maybe even Instant Crush, Contact, and Giorgio left the album feeling pretty disjointed.

And I have no idea why people like the fucking incessant arps in Contact and Giorgio. Sure they're well crafted, and Giorgio has a nice chord progression behind it, but fuck were those things overplayed. 3+ minutes of the same heavy hitting arp is a poor excuse for song structure
>>
>>53819643
i actually partially agree with that, but if they have any good album at all, it is homework.
>>
>>53819852
>3+ minutes of the same heavy hitting arp is a poor excuse for song structure

You're not supposed to be focusing on the arpeggios the whole time, the appeal is in the spontaneity and personality of the variations in the other live instrumentation

who just fixates on the arpeggios in RAM? what are you doing? damn tripfags
>>
It's more electronic music for casuals and dadrockers who don't listen to electronic music.
>>
>>53819852
Overplayed? Where? Maybe it's just where I am, but I've only heard one song from RAM on the radio.

Other than Giorgio, I liked all the tracks you listed.
>>
>>53818957
muh "real edm", whole thing was pleb-tier.
>>
>>53819487
>>53819541
if anything, it's eddie van halen shredding over half the track is what makes it impossible to listen to
>>
>>53819318
>daft
>idiot

Pick one
>>
>>53820298
I'll take "daft" since you've already laid claim to "idiot"
>>
>>53819980
None of them are exceptionally bad. The album is just a weird mix of grandiose fanfare, funk, innocuous soft rock, and plodding slow house music. It's alright but it has no cohesion and none of the directions they go are at all well explored, nor are the individual tracks good ambassadors for their genres. It's a good album, and I really like the spirit of the funk direction it seemed to inspire in pop music, but in a vacuum there isn't much there.

>>53819953
>You're not supposed to be focusing on the arpeggios the whole time
The arpeggios are the only backbone those fucking crescendos have. I can tell they intended for those sections to be moving, but there's nothing interesting there to be moved by. The instrumental swells that fill the background are straight out of kitschy, plainly produced prog/power rock. It's awful. Not only is it derivative, but it's derivative of a genre that's already artistically impoverished enough as is.
>>
>>53820496
alright, have fun sitting like a twat fixating on arpeggios for 3 minutes and then telling yourself "yes, I listened to this right, time to go complain about it on the internet"
>>
>>53820542
Nothing saying you can't enjoy it. When I listen to it I hear those constituent parts and can't help but feeling it's cheap
>>
That is the only Daft Punk album is enjoy.

It's basically everything that's good about "radio music" all rolled into one album. I truthfully don't give a shit about what genre it's considered, all i know is i'd rather listen to this than Discovery. In 2013, when Get Lucky was playing several times an hour on every radio station in the country over the summer, i couldn't complain. The guitar part in that song is one of those melodies that could go on for hours and i'd never get sick of it. Same thing that made a lot of krautrock songs that went on for what seemed like forever and used the same groove the whole time so irresistable.

I don't why people complained about songs "not going anywhere". If a melody is that good, i don't want it to "go anywhere".
>>
>>53820657
>If a melody is that good, i don't want it to "go anywhere"
That's a pretty fair aphorism when it comes to discofunk and dance music. The funk tunes on RAM are nice funk tunes, but the thing is that it's hard to go wrong with funk music. Nile Rodgers wrote and recorded his parts in a couple days. It's almost effortless for a person as experienced as him. Point being that the music itself is nothing worth being put on a pedestal, but I appreciate the pop culture movement this album gave steam to and the album itself on top of that isn't bad. Better than almost all the artists that breach top 40 can say.
>>
>>53820657
You've never burned out on an album or even a song? Really?
>>
im in it just for doin it right cause i'm a panda bear fanboy
>>
What is the RAM of metal?
>>
>>53821033
Maybe that nightwish album that came out in 2011. If you mean a good album I'd have to think about it some more
>>
>>53820927
Momentarily i can, but if it's really that good, i'll end up coming back to it.
>>
I think it's half baked. I listen to Motherboard, which I adore and then listen to other tracks and think "did they use up all their creativity on one song?" They clearly know how to layer tracks and have them go in different directions, but the majority of RAM is so straight forward it's irritating, especially compared to other disco album that they were trying to emulate. Listen to Off The Wall and then Get Lucky and tell me they aren't missing 3 more instrument tracks.

I pray this is fodder for Alive 2017. It would make sense. Two one-word house albums and two three-word guitar albums used for their live shows.

All in all it felt like they short changed themselves by holding back.
>>
>>53821095
Right, but if it's constantly played on the radio it's hard to get away from once you've gotten a little tired of it. I think that's what they mean by "going somewhere".
>>
>>53820332
BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
>>
>>53818957
It was something new and fresh. I liked it.
>>
>>53821132
Same guy here. I guess I've thought about this album a lot.

There is a potential for a lot of excellent tracks but they fall flat or self destruct. Giorgio is excellent until he begins to speak again and the crazy instrumental comes in. Had they allowed the listener to make it to Motherboard, we would have gotten the idea that you can fuck around with music. We didn't need to be told condescendingly; Daft Punk shoots themselves in the foot by forcing a tedious guitar solo to belabor a point instead of letting shine as that example.

Within continues their dumb obsession with tracks that transition into the next key change (nightvision)

Lose yourself to dance needed a bridge in the middle or something. You can copy+pase house music but on a R&B track it's just lazy.

Get Lucky stumbles awkwardly and loses it's momentum right before the vocoder comes in. It's painful.

I guess that's it. That being said the first two tracks are good, as is Beyond and Contact. (and Horizon.)
>>
>>53821328
Still super refreshing to hear these types of tunes on the radio, and I appreciate that.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.