[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever actually met a major a-list musician before?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 16
File: Radiohead.jpg (29 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Radiohead.jpg
29 KB, 600x450
Has anyone ever actually met a major a-list musician before?

Not fake meme stories about grocery stores, like actually met.
>>
Are Swans, FlyLo and Slint A-list?
>>
met alice in chains, cool fellas
>>
>>53763676
I met Gary Newman after he played at this festival concert. I was walking near the porta-potties and he was walking out of the one I was going into; and I was like, hey you're Gary Newman, and he shook my hand and said he appreciated my support. 10/10 was bretty cool.
>>
>>53763683
>Are Swans, FlyLo and Slint A-list?

no.
>>
Not A-List but I met Oli Sykes once in a cornershop outside the venue I had seen him at. I was 16, don't judge me.
>>
>>53763705
pity. I had a pretty cool story about FlyLo. We hung out in a record store but then he went to a grocery store and I haven't seen him ever since.
>>
I got a hug from Blixa Bargeld.
>>
He isn't A-list but I met Afroman, who did have that really popular single "Because I Got High" like 10 years ago. Most people over the age of 15 know the chorus and a lot of the verse by heart, so he was moderately popular.
>>
I was at a cafe in Oxford with my girlfriend right. All of a sudden Colin from Radiohead comes up to us and just stares at me for like 10 seconds. I ask "Hey can I help you, man?"
He then calmly says "That's my seat. This is where I always sit."
I turn my head to my girlfriend who looks rather puzzled. I politely replied "Can't you find another seat?" After I said that I saw his kind demeanour turn to a face full of rage as he began tensing up his facial muscles. Colin then took a big gulp of air, as though he was trying to keep his cool. He then firmly told me "No. THIS is where I sit." I couldn't believe he expected us to get up and move to another table. I wasn't having any of that. I leaned my head closer to him, looked him dead in the eye and whispered "We aren't moving. We were here first. There are plenty of other g-"
"IT'S MY TABLE" he screamed, cutting me off.
my girlfriend then grabbed my hand and said in a pleading voice "Let's just move, anon."
I decided to risk looking like a patsy and complied. I didn't want to get in a fight with Colin fucking Greenwood. We packed up our things and moved over to another table. I looked back and saw Colin take off his coat, drape it around my chair and take a seat with a big fucking smile on his face.
Fuck that childish prick.
>>
File: thommy.jpg (62 KB, 570x432) Image search: [Google]
thommy.jpg
62 KB, 570x432
I met Thom Yorke just last week:

I was in California and I happened to run into him at a local diner. He was sitting alone and it looked like he'd only just started eating, so I decided to just go up and say hi (if his friends were there I would have just let him be). Anyway, I walk up and say hello and tell him I know him from Radiohead. Nothing. No reaction. Doesn't say a word. He just sits there, staring right through me. Staring intensely, but with no emotion whatsoever.

I begin to feel awkward, so I say "sorry to disturb you" and start to walk away but before I even get a chance to turn he just gets up suddenly and starts walking toward me, still making full eye contact. At first I thought he was going to try and barge into me or something, but at the last minute (like an inch away from me) he turns and heads toward the trash can. Then he starts dumping everything on his plate into it. One by one. Potatoes, carrots, everything. He picks up each bit of food up, holds it high above the can and drops it. Some of it (the steak) didn't even make it into the trash because he wasn't looking at what he was doing.

Finally his plate is empty and this is the part that really fucking weirded me out. He looks around to check no one (but me) is looking, then slides the plate under his jacket and walks out.

I was just astounded, it was pretty surreal.
>>
>>53763704
I think Numan is literally autistic, not /mu/ autistic. Did he seem "normal"?
>>
File: colin.jpg (75 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
colin.jpg
75 KB, 500x667
>>53763734
mfw
>>
>>53763724
Nigga, tell us more! Was it in a Berlin leather dungeon in the late 80s?
>>
File: colon.gif (679 KB, 320x179) Image search: [Google]
colon.gif
679 KB, 320x179
>>53763734
>>
File: wot m8.jpg (78 KB, 494x1024) Image search: [Google]
wot m8.jpg
78 KB, 494x1024
>>53763735
mfw
>>
>>53763757
>my feet hurt
>im scared of public transportation
>i wish i was at home listening to autechre
>>
The biggest ones I met was Thurston Moore and Peter Hook.
>>
>>53763676
I met avishai cohen the bassist once
>>
I've met a few. My saddest was when I met Feist and I told her (very drunk btw) that I loved her song You and I and she told me back "that's a Wilco song I guest sung on. Do you need a cab?" Then her management pushed me away and never called me a cab.
>>
One time I met Bob Dylan

>be me
>walking downtown in New York City
>real fucking hungry
>go up to hotdog stand
>ask vendor for one wiener with all the works
>reaches open the metal door on his stand
>Dylan pops his fucking head out
>"Holy fuck, are you Bob Dylan? May I have your autograph, sir?"
>'I dunno, man, order your hotdog and I'll see how I fEEEEeeel about it'
>"but sir I already ordered my hotdo-"
>he starts rubbing sauerkraut and relish on my crotch
>"No one will ever beliEEEEEeeeeve you"
>he gets out of the stand compartment and walks away

Never did get that autograph
>>
>>53763735
>Actually trying to talk to Thom Yorke in real life and thinking he won't be a negative cynical prick

I know this is fake but worth saying anyway
>>
>>53763792
fuck
>>
>>53763737
Nope, very un-normal. I think he has asperger's.
>>
>>53763676
Nick Cave, Michael Gira, Ira Kaplan, Mike Watt, Pete "Sonic Boom" Kember, Dean Wareham, Alan Licht, they were all friendly. Pity none of them is a-list.
>>
I've met Michael Monroe from Hanoi rocks twice. He once stood up from a chair and said sorry to me. I also once saw him other time walking in the same shopping center.
>>
The bass player from a band in my country served my beer
I said "Hey are you the bassist from ______?"
He said "yeah"
I said thanks for the beer and left

No musician in my country is really that famous famous except lorde
>>
File: colin.png (167 KB, 535x468) Image search: [Google]
colin.png
167 KB, 535x468
I played a party that Lorde was at but I didnt see her
One of my band mates did though
apparently she was dressed similar to me (dark winter gear or something)
>>
File: hjk.jpg (81 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
hjk.jpg
81 KB, 500x363
>>53763749

No it was chubby wrinkly Blixa on a snowy Berlin winter day. I wasn't alive during his leather gayclub phase.
>>
>>53763781
Another one. Saw Boris at the El Rey. Got punched in the face by accidentally falling into a mosh pit. Was drunk. After the show the lead singer saw me and gestured me for a cigarette. I gave him one and proceeded to talk to him about how great I think they are and ask him about Merzbow and he smiles and nods at everything I say. Then he abruptly walks away and I realize he speaks no english and understands very little.
>>
>>53763781
10/10>>53763792
>>
>>53763834
what about tom jensen? he's the best new zealand composer of all time!
>>
>>53763792
>"No one will ever beliEEEEEeeeeve you"
10/10
>>
>>53763834
That doesn't count, nigga! I'm from South America and have become buddies with lots of musicians from there, who by local standards could even be considered legendary. A-list? No, of course not.
>>
Met Taylor Swift at the hotel I work at. She thanked me for being a fan. She smelt nice.
>>
>>53763866
Describe what she smelled like pls.
>>
>>53763895
Clean. Not like disinfectant hospital clean, just clean, a bit like fresh laundry. It was nice.
>>
>>53763866
I remember you posting this before. You said you masturbated furiously that night. Why do I remember this?
>>
I've met quite a few top-tier jazz musicians in the past 4 years
>>
>>53763920
Oh, I imagined like a citrus-y scent.
>>
Does anyone here actually understand the concept of a-list?
>>
>>53763940
lieek?
>>
>>53763956

get your Kanye fanfiction somewhere else
>>
>>53763931
We both spend way too much time on /mu/
>>53763943
Not really, no.
>>
not a-list
but once I met Tyler the Creator from OFWGKTA

>with friend walking into store
>we see tyler the creator
>friend is a massive fan, asks to get picture
>i take picture
>tyler asks if I want a picture
>"he no thanks im alright"
>he goes "alright then" and puts his hand up, initiating a high five
>go in for a high five
>he closes he hand around mind
>he is just standing their smiling, my hand in his, and he's just shaking it around a bit, like a wave for a good 10 seconds
>not sure what to
>smile nervously
>bye
>>
>>53763971
>get your Kanye fanfiction somewhere else

SIR YES SIR
>>
>>53763971
hey fuck off m8 im the real Malcolm
>>
>>53763704
Did he wash his hands?
>>
File: IMG_2079.jpg (42 KB, 494x622) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2079.jpg
42 KB, 494x622
>>53763847
Top kek
>>
>>53764000

You could at least try to sound like me.
>>
>>53763991
>Don't you see me trynna buy a fucking churro?
>>
>>53764029
>sound
>written lexis
>>
>>53763803
He actually seems like a really chill guy in person.
>>
File: mi0003653635.jpg (29 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
mi0003653635.jpg
29 KB, 400x400
>>53763957
John Clayton, Jeff Hamilton, Bill Pierce, Steve Davis, Dennis Mackrel, Gary Smulyan, Darren Barrett, Kevin Harris, Roy Hargrove. Played with most of them too. Also met Thundercat
>>
>>53764061
Is that you, Thom? Flea?
>>
>>53764111
>tfw havnt heard of any of those people except thundercat
damn i need to jazz harder

so what do u play just out of curiosity?
how was it playing with them?
any favourite gigs? best performances?
got any cool stories?
>>
>>53764190
I play the double and electric bass.

Chilling and playing with all of these guys were truly humbling experiences. All of them were really kind dudes and willing to share their vast knowledge that they gained directly from the masters.

I'd say the best playing I did with/for any of them was with Darren and Kevin last April, since I feel my playing started to mature the year prior.

When you play with people at and on that level, it feels like you're on drugs. There's a deep shared concentration on whats going on. Everyone is listening to everyone else and building off of what each other is contributing. It's a blessing being able to connect with people like that, whether famous or not. Music above all.
>>
>>53763817
how was Peter like?
>>
>>53764482
Sounds great, mate. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>53764482
fuck that was great to read.

I hope I'll have enough guitar/accordion skill to have that kind of musical connection one day.
>>
>>53764697
A nice guy, very reserved and polite.
>>
Ed Sheeran in like 2013, he's shit but there's an awkward photo of me with him and a friend
>>
i met claudio sanchez of coheed and cambria

i mean not a-list per se but coheed's pretty huge.
>>
>>53765847
coheed's pretty fucking great
>>
>>53765903
truuu
and he's friendly as all holy fuck.
>>
A family friend's daughter is going out with Stuart Braithwaite (lead guitarist in Mogwai), so I've met him a couple of times in social settings. Cool guy, quiet though.
>>
>>53763676
not me but my dad has done a lot. He "accidentally" bumped into Billy Joel. He also smoked pot with Green Day pre-Dookie, and theres a picture that exists of my dad standing in between Jonathan Davis from Korn and Marilyn Manson. And my mom made out with Jakob Dylan
>>
>>53764029
>>53764000
>>53763971
oh vey its me malcomxwing how u doin guise :)
>>
I met Ezra from Vampire Weekend, he was just hanging out at a bar alone like a few hours before the show. I just said "hey im really looking forward to the show" and he said "thanks, it should be really fun. I shook his hand and told him take it easy.
>>
I fucking love Radiohead, and one time I met them while eating chili that had my recently murdered parents' chopped up body parts cooked in with it. Naturally I was pretty upset after hearing that not only were my parents dead, but that I also just ate them. So I was sitting there crying in front of all these people and that's when Radiohead came up to me. They told me how much of a crybaby I was and left. My favorite band calling me a crybaby and making fun of me was just icing on the cake and I started bawling my eyes out right then and there.

As if that wasn't enough, the little fat kid who was the mastermind behind my parents' death starting licking my tears and cheering. It was so embarrassing.
>>
>>53766118
Did you get your revenge later?
>>
>>53766131
You bet. Turns out that fat little fuck and I had the same father, so once he found out that he was behind his own biological father's murder and fed him to me, his half-brother, he was pretty upset.
>>
Does Fall Out Boy count as A-list? They did a signing at a record store in Chicago that a buddy of mine and I went to. Joe and Patrick were both really nice, and Patrick complimented the Pinkerton shirt I was wearing. Pete and Andy didn't really seem like they wanted to be there,but y'know. I got my copy of Pax Am Days signed. 8.5/10 experience.
>>
>>53763817
What was Nick Cave like?
>>
>>53766167
No he was just upset that he was related to a ginger fuck like you.
>>
I met Ja Rule last week. honestly I didn't recognize him and I'm not a fan of his music so I don't really care.
>>
My friend went tagging with XXYYXX once. I'm p boring, thats the best I have.
>>
Met a couple smaller artists. One band, Maritime (look them up, good upbeat college rock/ almost ska without horns) they were playing a show and during their opening band, the lead singer was just hanging out in the back watching. I just went up to him and said whats up, been a fan for years, you guys kick ass, can you play this song? And dude was just like "No problem, thanks man" and I left before my 19 year old ass bugged him too much.

Another dude, Rocky Votolato. Was like the 2nd set of 3 bands playing that night, so after his set he was just chilling in the back. Me and my buddy got a few shots of Jameson's and did em with Rocky, and then talked to him about touring and shit.

Seeing lesser-known bands is always the best. You can see them in smaller venues, tickets are cheaper, and they are more accessible. They appreciate their loyal fans a lot more. I will never see a big band at some arena again after paying $70 to see Peal Jam at the United Center. Worst show of my life.
>>
File: 1395317340955.jpg (67 KB, 441x411) Image search: [Google]
1395317340955.jpg
67 KB, 441x411
I've met Phoenix before

I also have the chance to meet killer be killed in a weeks time, although I don't think ill be able to make it

Not sure if these count as 'a-list' but yeah
>>
File: OG Genesis.jpg (547 KB, 1417x1373) Image search: [Google]
OG Genesis.jpg
547 KB, 1417x1373
This is going to sound like copy pasta, but I swear it's the truth:

Went to see Genesis P'Orridge headline this weird 'fetish ball'. I took a chick with me who was pretty open minded but definetly not really expecting what was going to go on there. His set was insane, just incredibly loud harsh noise, so loud your ears just maxed out, but you could literally feel the different tones intensely resonate in different ways in your chest and stomach.

After the show, as we were walking to the store he was walking in front of us, so we caught up to him. "Hey, That was cool, I really enjoyed that" I said.

"meow"

I really wasn't sure how to react to the fact that he just meowed at me, so I tried asking him something else, but he just said 'meow' again. I tried a few more times to make conversation but he would only meow, completely deadpan.

I still have no idea what to make of it.
>>
>>53766275
Yooo I talked to Davey at all three Promise Ring reunion shows in Chicago. One of the nicest dudes ever.
>>
i live close to bon jovi and bruce springsteen, so pretty much everyone by me has stories, especially since a bunch of people i know go to the same gym as bruce. best i got is i drove past him once
>>
I think I have been more flattered by the pro BMX riders I have met than the professional musicians I have met.

Mostly because when I meet the pro BMX dudes, I end up riding with them and chilling with them most of he day, smoking blunts and drinking beers with them. And even tho they are way better than me, there have been times where I have been trying to land a trick all day, and when I finally get it, I have these pro dudes that have been in the XGames and Dew Tour and shit cheering for me.

You don't get that experience as much with famous musicians.
>>
>>53763676
I saw Mark Kozelek with his dad at Panera Bread in Ohio yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, god why are they playing this sport's bar shit again? Fucking beer commercial rock”
I was taken back, and all I could say was “Huh? It sounds alright” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? sounds alright? dude, fix your fucking ears?!” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw Mark trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Panini in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” But he shouted "Maybe u suck my cock first?" and started giggling. Then his dad punched him right in a face, Mark calmed down, said "I love you dad", paid for Paninis and they went away.
>>
At a WVU football game, I sat next to Brad Paisley. The dude bought me popcorn.
>>
>>53766338
1/10. Don't bother posting this again.
>>
>>53766338
>Mark calmed down, said "I love you dad"
hahahaha
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-02-21-07-18-14.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-02-21-07-18-14.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
Harry Styles. I know this guy is shit tier as far as music goes, but I had the chance to play soccer and hang out with him in a ski resort in Colorado. The guy is actually pretty cool. Pic related. Can't figure out how download my own picture off of Facebook.
>>
>>53766497
He looks like that Kardashian man who's turning into a woman.
>>
>>53766497
Man you can pick up so many 14 year old girls with that pic...

That's cool tho. Despite the fact that his music is lame unless you are a little girl, at least he was cool. He's probably just stoked to meet somebody who knows him that isn't a prepubescent screaming girl.
>>
>>53766676
>probably just stoked to meet somebody who knows him that isn't a prepubescent screaming girl
Probably, haha. Yeah, we had a lot of fun. that day, and as cliche as it may sound, he's really down to earth.
>>
I'm actually going to be meeting Mystery Skulls tonight. I'm pretty excited,dunno what I'll say though.
>>
>>53766775
Yeah man that's really the only thing you can hope for when you meet somebody famous- that they don't have their head up their ass while looking down at you.

And honestly, I bet most famous people traveling and touring are probably happy just to meet people who don't treat them like gods. Somebody just to chill with and kick a soccer ball around with. They deal with fans and managers and industry people all day everyday. Most of them just want some normal people around.

Especially Harry Styles, he's one of those people that can't go grocery shopping without people trying to take pictures of him.
>>
i met Amanda Palmer at a book sighning
>>
>>53763717
He seems like a prick of immeasurable proportions.
>>
>>53766118
would have been funnier if you didn't make it so obvious
>>
>>53766497
i'm going to sound like i'm shit posting but my friend did irish car bombs and stunt mans with harry at a bar/club in nashville.

he said harry was asking for someone to do a stunt man with him (tequila shot where you snort the salt and squeeze the lemon in your eye), afterwards they both rushed to the bathroom to wash their eyes out and my friend told harry he was "fucked up" and him and harry hugged in the bathroom.
>>
I've met the guys from Mastodon and the guys from Wilco(both briefly, just a "hi, big fan, blah blah". Mastodon at the Seelbach Hotel in Louisville, Wilco at the IU campus in Bloomington, IN, John and Pat were talking to the people at the box office and saw the rest of the guys out by the bus.
>>
>>53763792
Kek, nice
>>
>>53763991
This makes me like him a lot more
>>
met Tom DeLonge at the Heathrow airport. Top bloke tbh, had a nice chat about music
>>
>>53763733

Did he deck you on the face?
>>
>>53763735

I know this isn't real because Thom Yorke is vegan so he wouldn't have steak.
>>
>>53767353
Great detective work, m8
>>
File: tumblr_mpngwnwpdw1sr6x7yo1_400.gif (428 KB, 323x280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mpngwnwpdw1sr6x7yo1_400.gif
428 KB, 323x280
>>53767353
>>
I spit in Kanye West's coffee once. Seriously
>>
File: amfo.png (1 MB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
amfo.png
1 MB, 720x960
I met Panda Bear and American Football. I just hung around after the concerts and eventually they came out.

Panda Bear was a cool guy, but obviously pretty shy. He signed people's records and took pictures with us. One of the other guys there screwed up my picture with him the first time, so Panda Bear even called me back to tell me he wanted to retake the picture. Super nice about it.

And then American Football was pretty cool too. Their drummer was telling me about how he's a teacher now and never thought they'd get back together. I asked him if they would record anything else, and he told me it wasn't completely out of the question.

Pic related, it's my signed album.
>>
>>53767507

I post and the thread immediately dies. Every time. It's like the Midas touch. Every thread I post in turns to crap.
>>
>>53767828
Same shit happens to me. I mention Mastodon or Rush and everyone runs screaming. I was the dude that mentioned meeting Mastodon a few posts up.
>>
>>53767507
New American Football album confirmed. Get hype.
>>
Common came into a restaurant my step father at the time owned after working on a movie set, got to chill with him and eat burgers, he invited me back to the set but I was working at the time.
>>
>>53767858
I hate people like you
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 640x616) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 640x616
One of the only times I've even met a celebrity, I smoked bongs with Waka Flocka in his tour bus with a friend of mine.

The guy's actually pretty well spoken, and he gave me an eighth to rap his "Pretty Flacko" feature word for word. Cool dude
>>
met flylo and bbng, have yelled abuse and the lyrics to "War on Drugs Suck My Cock" at Perfect Pussy
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.