[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes a musician good in your eyes? Who do you think lives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: The Beatles.jpg (15 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
The Beatles.jpg
15 KB, 251x201
What makes a musician good in your eyes? Who do you think lives up to those standards?
>>
If I like them.

A lot of artists.
>>
>>53569596
What about color, dynamics, phrasing, pacing, tonal progression, and performance? You don't think there is anything you would describe as bad musicianship?
>>
talented and/or unique player
not that a lot of good music isn't made by not-so-good musicians, however
meaning i could just say "whether they make good music or not" but i'd be running in circles
>>
>>53569660
The only bad art in my eyes and ears is that which is trite, formulaic, uninventive, etc.
A person could have little-to-no formal training in theory or technique, but that could lead to them making choices that maybe I would want to listen to.
>>
my favorite beatles album too
>>
>>53569575
catchy tunes, catchy lyrics, nice asses. That's it.
>>
>>53569660
>What about color,
Color is not music.
>dynamics
Not a necessity for being "good".
>phrasing
>pacing
>tonal progression
>performance?
>>
>>53569784

I like Rubber Soul and Abbey Road most. Not a big Beatles guy. They are okay though. I like Wings.
>>
>>53569828
Color is actually a thing in music, but it's a vague term that refers to a lot of different aspects.
>>
File: usa.png (68 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
usa.png
68 KB, 300x300
If I like artist's music then he/she is good.
That's about it. I dont care about ethics, nationality or political views.
>>
>>53569706
I'm basically curious on people's philosophy's about music. I know at the end of the day enjoyment of music is relative, but I do think more awareness leads you to be more or less interested in certain ideas. For example, my dad loves 12 bar blues. It's not like I hate it, but knowing and comprehending the inherent repetition of tonal progression within 12 bar blues prevents me from being surprised or stimulated. Somehow the recognition of patterns ruins the magic of what art is. After all, if something is recognizably formulaic how could it be honest expression of ideas or emotions? Which, in my opinion, is what makes people relate to and enjoy music and art.
>>
>>53569575
the aesthetics and their full on persona

take sky ferreira for example, without heroin, bleached hair and suicidal aura she'd just be another bland pop artist
>>
>>53569575
if i can bang my head to it
>>
>>53569940
>After all, if something is recognizably formulaic how could it be honest expression of ideas or emotions?
If something is overly complex and convoluted how could it be honest expression of ideas or emotions?
>>
>>53569775
Yea absolutely, it's not about a technical thing, even though technical skill can help somebody create good art. It's not an end in itself, artistically, but more so athletically. But something has to be causing them to be making choices that aren't devoid of their unique expression.
>>
>>53569940
Music is only able to express emotion based on connotations that are ingrained in the listener.
People who were never exposed to Western music before don't get the common emotional cues from it.
Western music is typically a simulacrum of emotion, but it requires the context of established "meanings" behind sounds in order to convey that emotion.
Not all music is made to express emotion though, not even all western music.
>>
It's too broad a thing to try narrow it down to a couple of factors.
I suppose if you were to separate the term musician from artist or whatever then you could look for technical ability which is somewhat quantifiable but you don't need to be Woody Shaw to be a great artist.
>>
>>53570048
>Not all music is made to express emotion though
Example?
>>
>>53569828
When I said color I was talking about timbre, basically how something sounds texturally. It is a thing in music. But by your logic, something without color, phrasing, pacing, tonal progression, or performance wouldn't actually even exist right? There are elements that are necessary to qualify as music in the first place, first and foremost it has to be auditory. This includes silence too, if that's the auditory sensation you're trying to convey, but music is inherently dynamic, and inherently has color, right?
>>
>>53570089
EDM
>>
>>53570089
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQU0KvDrKJA&list=PL2A5872E744FE7F05
>>
>>53570136
What's the purpose of that music?
>>
>>53570127
omfg i hate people like you so much. i bet you think you're intellectual or something.
>>
>>53570140
>>53570145
>>
>>53570145
to make people dance, to headline festivals, get paid, get laid.

it doesn't reflects the emotions of the artist.
>>
>>53570127
>When I said color I was talking about timbre
So you misspoke.
>But by your logic, something without color, phrasing, pacing, tonal progression, or performance wouldn't actually even exist right?
Strawman.
>There are elements that are necessary to qualify as music in the first place
Are we talking about the characteristics of something so it qualifies as music, or the qualities which define "good" music? You seem to be confusing them
>>
>>53570179
>to make people dance
So you are saying the art was created out of the desire to make people dance or make money or get laid?
>>
>>53570022
Well right, I wouldn't say there's not a point at which complexity detracts, or at least alienates. But that's not to say that there's such a thing as "too complicate" in my opinion, because it's really more about balance. If you have a piece that is so fast and complex that it's essentially incomprehensible to the human ear, what some people might call noise, but you balance it along with other ideas that are very comprehensible, like a steady beat and a simple chord progression it can still end up being very good. That's part of what I think makes Animal Collective so important to so many people. They juxtaposed simplistic theoretical ideas that most people can relate to with a use of noise which simultaneously highlighted something new and exciting in both elements for a lot of people.
>>
>>53570169
>>53570145
With Autechre I always figured the atmosphere was purposely made to be very cold and robotic. They experiment with odd sounds and ideas for the sake of establishing this kind of unfamiliar and to an extent inhuman atmosphere. I think it's really cool and they've got a pretty decent sized fanbase so I suppose that's purpose enough.
I don't feel like art needs to have a purpose though. I think it's a really beautiful idea to just have music and sound for the sake of it. Without trying to impose meaning on it.
>>
>>53570262
>That's part of what I think makes Animal Collective so important
Stopped reading right there.

Fuck off.
>>
>>53570252
yes that's exactly what i'm saying. there's no emotion in EDM. It's just beats.
>>
>>53570286
>With Autechre I always figured the atmosphere was purposely made to be very cold and robotic
Loneliness and stoicism are emotions, so even your examples are rooted in communicating emotion. Just not the type of emotion you'd usually associate with, I assume.
>>53570310
"desire" is an emotion. Nice try.
>>
>>53570331
there's no "desire" in EDM you fucktard.

"Desire" is also such a fucking meaningless buzzword and you're only using this word because you're an idiot. EDM is only about making drunk people dance, and that's not an emotion.
>>
>>53570048
I don't know that I agree. Virtually any culture has roots in specific harmonic intervals. Not they they all use them the same way, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a place that didn't ever use the perfect fourth or fifth, or even unison, simply due to the inherent intuition people have for those harmonies. They are literally lowest common denominators in the wave length of the tones. You might lack some context, but I think all it really takes is to listen to something enough times to comprehend it intuitively. After all, you and I might listen to the same song and have totally different emotional interpretations, or, hypothetically, a deaf person who gains the ability to hear would, by my logic, inherently recognize and enjoy the way a major scale sounds.
>>
>>53570310
>implying you don't get rage when you listen to EDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDLdVSs6QHU
>>
>>53570158
Dude calm down, just because this shit is over your head doesn't mean you have to throw a bitch fit. There's nothing wrong with understanding something intellectually.
>>
>>53570396
>there's no "desire" in EDM you fucktard.
You just said it was here >>53570310
>"Desire" is also such a fucking meaningless buzzword
Not a buzzword. Perhaps you don'
t know the meaning of that term?
>EDM is only about making drunk people dance, and that's not an emotion.
Why would an artist want to make a drunk person dance?
>>
>>53570331
>Emotion
a strong feeling deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others.
>stoic
a person who can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining.

Stoic is no more an emotion than atheism is a religion.
I don't feel like Autechre's music is lonely. At least I never interpreted it that way. it's pretty subjective how it makes you feel but I never got that impression.
>>
>>53570396
>EDM is only about making drunk people dance, and that's not an emotion
You wouldn't dance to it if it didn't give you an ecstatic and energetic emotional response. Have you ever danced before?
>>
>>53570500
Sounds like your problem for not feeling emotions. Are you autistic or something?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.