[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts On Amp Simulators
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: Guitar-rig-5-player.jpg (286 KB, 1018x710) Image search: [Google]
Guitar-rig-5-player.jpg
286 KB, 1018x710
Hello /mu/

To any guitarist and bassist, what are your thoughts on amp simulators such as Guitar Rig and Amplitube? Any thoughts on the Axe-FX or Kemper? What do you prefer?
>>
with enough tweaking i'm sure it's possible to get any sound you want using a DAW with guitar rig. it's just a pain in the ass figuring it out on your own though
>>
>>53359601
Don't I know it. I was stuck with Guitar Rig for well over a year. At first I thought it was awesome, but as my ears started to develop skills, I quickly learned how awful my distortion tones were, even after a lot of EQ'ing. I personally use the Axe-FX II now.
>>
>>53359706

i cant find axe-fx on any trackers. is that the actual name?
>>
>>53359926
Yeah, it's from Fractal Audio.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-axe-fx-ii-preamp-fx-processor.php
>>
>>53359601
You can get great tones out of them, but it's always obvious that it's an amp sim. It still doesn't sound like an actual amp being mic'd
>>
>>53360288
I guess it goes from listener to listener. I myself can tell when a Line 6 amp is being played, or a Peavy 5150, but I can't tell sometimes if it's tube or simulated in certain cases.
>>
I first got introduced to production and amp Sims with the LePou freeware vsts. Not bad for free ones. I like Solo C and the Legion ones but since then I've moved on to tube amps. I'd like to get an Axe Fx though some day because of the tones you can get out of it
>>
>>53358300
I use Fab Filter Saturn and it does it's job very well. The gear that's used isn't really important, you can come up with pretty much any sound using software now, it just depends how good of a producer you are. And always remember that there are no good or bad sounds, it's the job of an artist to make gold from shit.
>>
At recording school and now in my own studio, amp sims are a useful tool to plug line in and record a part really quick. I would never give up a real amp for them though. It all comes down to your playing/recording situation, your budget, and your need for more than one tone.
>>
>>53360401
Yeah, and the Axe-FX has this feature called Tone Matching, so if you like a particular amp, you can capture its sound and have it on your unit. I highly recommend it myself, especially for all the effects that are being added.

>>53360451
Haha, indeed. Fab Filter's Saturn though? Interesting choice. Are there any amp simulators you are interested in at all?

>>53360454
I might recommend getting a re-amp box if you prefer to record amplifiers. It gives you so many options for mic positions, amplifiers, settings, cabinets and more. So I could just experiment.
>>
>>53360288

michael keene uses an amp sim (i think) and he's the master of guitar
>>
protip: use an amp sim and then mic your monitors and record them as you would an amp.
>>
>>53360742
I'm not entirely sure that is a valid idea. I say just record a DI signal and re-amp the tracked guitars through a real amp.
>>
>>53360784
my tip is for poor souls who do not have an amp and are thus using an amp sim.
>>
>>53358300
I mean it's something but it's probably better just to use whatever actual real amps you have. If you just need different sounds, though, then why not go for one of these things.
>>
>>53360742
no
except you really want to capture that shitty first reflections of your room you could as well create in a reverb plugin
>>
>>53360817
I think the amp sim sounds find as it is. If you send it through monitors, you might dirty it up. However, if you have an example of this, I would certainly love to hear how it sounds.
>>
>>53360840
>you might dirty it up
that the point.tiff
>>
>>53360826
What things?

I see your point, but not everyone has a good quality amp. Personally I would prefer an amp sim over a Line 6 Spider IV 15-watt amp.

>>53360852
I mean dirty in a negative way. As in muddy, distorted and none of the notes come out clearly. Plus, as someone pointed out above, you would get crappy reverb reflections from your wall.
>>
PositiveGrid Bias > Amplitube > (everything else) >Guitar Rig
>>
>>53360998
I hear a lot of good stuff about Positive Grid's Bias, and I must say I am very impressed by it. Whenever I learned Rob Scallon's tone for "Metal In Inappropriate Places" was Bias, I was impressed.
>>
During tracking I usually record straight DI and record through an amp simulator on a separate track. I can dial in a tone I kind of like through the plug in and then re amp later on during the mixing process. Super helpful.
>>
>>53361168
I was wondering something too. What is needed for re-amping and what is the process? I want to try it myself, but I'm nervous I will screw up something.
>>
>>53358300
Trent reznor uses guitar rig
>>
>>53361214
It's a lot simpler than people think. I'm pretty busy doing school work so I won't type out a big tutorial best thing I could say is to research direct boxes and reamping online.
Check this out to get you started
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46lim9n3ZPM
>>
>>53361391
Ah yes, Fluff's tutorial is great. I wish you luck on your homework! Thank you for the video and advice.
>>
I've recently finished tracking guitars for a record and they were all done with Amplitube 3. Nobody can tell the difference as long as you know what you're doing. I've used multiple cabinet impulses as well as built in ones. As long as your smart with gain staging and are patient, you can get a truly great sound.
>>
>>53361552
When's it coming out? Loved to listen to it.
>>
>>53361600
This Spring/Summer. Vocals are so close to being done and then it's on to the fun stuff.

Great Alt rock stuff.

It's for an artist called Cinema Twenty Four cinematwentyfour.bandcamp.com
>>
>>53362120
I look forward to it. Thank you!
>>
>>53361552
By Nobody are you including tonesluts and guitarist and sound engineers or you mean common people (which normally have a shit ear).
>>
>>53362889
Common people have not a clue.

Guitar players I've had some ask me what amps I used.

I've never had someone point out that it's a sim, simply just them asking, "Is that a miked amp or sim?" and when I tell them it's Amplitube they're floored. Within the confines of an entire production, it's an incredible tool.
>>
>>53359975
2500 bucks...
>>
>>53360659
Also a master of keeping band members
>>
>>53360742
Thats retarded.
You could just make an Impulse Response of you monitor and apply that to the tone, keep it digital. I don't trust anything that doesn't have 0's and 1's
>>
So heres my question.
Whats the best distortion plugin?
>>
>>53365363
soundtoys decapitatior
>>
I use the POD HD500X ($700) and the TSE X50 ($70). Both work very well and I love them, used to use tube amps but retired them for modelling, always makes one babby mad when I mention that.

Pic related is POD
>>
>>53358300
I use Guitar Rig for sounds which I don't have the pedals/amps for (like ultra-fuzzed solo lines, shoegazey delay walls and such), but a decent, mic'd up amp usually sounds more dynamic and needs less tweaking (less EQ and such). There's appropriate times for both, but recording with sims exclusively just doesn't get you the same sound (or it might, but it's prolly harder to get).
>>
Buy a Peavey Micro Head and a good cab and fuck off, multi effects and stuff are shit
>>
>>53367587
Care to explain how? If they were so "shit" it wouldn't have the huge community behind it.
>>
>>53368142
They aren't inherently shit, that fag just doesn't know shit about guitars
>Peavey Micro Head
top kek
>>
>>53368157
Speaking of the micro Peavey's I'm half tempted to get a mini 6505 for recording just because I wouldn't mind a smaller tube head for the home. Live though is gonna stay modelling.
>>
>>53365676
Ah yes the Pod HD500X. I was really tempted to get that, but after hearing some sound demos, I was not really impressed by it.

>>53367557
Yeah, with amp sims it takes a heck of a lot longer to get a decent tone out of them. Distortion tones are a huge problem especially.

>>53367587
Why are they complete junk? I think they sound pretty cool. Have you heard Axe-FX II's distortion capabilities? They are amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vdra-gxJ0
>>
>>53369276
It takes a lot of work to get a decent sound, it'll never sound realistic though but for $700 compared to $3400 for the Axe-FX II XL I think I made the right choice for less lel.
>>
>>53369310
Axe-FX is only $2,100. I had your same thought process too at the time, but then I learned about tone matching and knew which way to go. Plus, the Line 6 POD series has an extremely limited DSP limit which really drew me away. Also, it is Line 6. I can mostly tell when one of their products is being used (with the exception of their high-quality pedals of course).
>>
>>53369359
>Axe-FX is only $2,100
Not in Australia m8.

For the price it was worth it, of course it has nowhere near the capabilities of the Axe-Fx or the quality but for a local band guitar player it just works and didn't make me poor as shit.
>>
>>53369429
Yeah, I can see your point there. However, I would recommend you save towards the Axe-FX since it is a good investment for any guitar player. Speaking of which, you got any tones up of your POD? Would love to hear them.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.