[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In your own words, tell me why you think about leaving this board.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: 1422996766775.jpg (31 KB, 500x550) Image search: [Google]
1422996766775.jpg
31 KB, 500x550
In your own words, tell me why you think about leaving this board.
>>
Well its not very productive. Everyones always arguing. Probably was part of the reason I failed a lot of my uni papers.
Warps my perception of reality and people.
>>
I don't, but I probably should.
>>
File: cricket.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
cricket.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
people are so hostile and aggressive and theres as many dumb shitposting threads as there are music threads
>>
Posters are often unnecessarily rude. It's certainly not one of the more aggressive boards on 4chan though.
>>
People don't like what I like.

>implying I'm leaving after 7 years of the same
>>
>>53345805
>>53345860
I assume at one point this place was your home?
>>
>>53345887
I use to be here a lot more than I am now. i often click on mu, look through the catalog see its full of shit and go do somethign else
>>
The circlejerking and shitposting
>>
>>53345887
It still is but its not a home I want to live in.

and we were neveeeerrr meeeeeant
>>
it's kinda 2pleb4me
>>
Its immensely unproductive. Yeah its a great way to find new music and I get a few chuckles out of the dank memes but its such a horrible way to spend such a large part of my life and yet I can't stop
>>
>>53345786
I don't.
Shitposting is fun most of the times, sharethreads often give me nice reccommendations, and when there are serious music threads, they're worth the time.

>le 4chan is shit epic maymay
>>
i don't find any music on here, been here 3 years and only come for some of the general threads
will probably never leave even though i should
>>
>>53345878
Being rude should be a filter to keep away some people but some anons are really mad. It's like the reddit mentality where everyone is nice to the point when it becomes insencere and unauthentic, but reversed
>>
>>53345786
Because it has slowly become the opposite of what I'd expect to find on an "underground" music forum.
More an more viral marketing goes on, pitchfork is basically what the whole board focuses on, general threads/containment threads are horrible and miscellaneous threads usually contain the same old albums/artists everyone already knows.
If there was a place like /mu/ without everything I mentioned above then that would be heaven. It would give room for discovering so much more music. You know, like a more "punk" culture that rejects image and prejudice and focuses on the core of things rather than numbers/popularity.

Of course that's impossible, but one can dream.
>>
>>53346476
>More an more
More and more*
>>
It's not music, it's shitposting, no productivity, no sense of community, no creative output. I come here for the free music and leave.
>>
>>53345786
I don't plan on leaving. This place is better than /b/ and I like to argue about music. Even if I quit using the other aspects of 4chan I would have to still come here from time to time.
>>
>>53346503
>This place is better than /b/
Amazing standards you've got there m8.
>>
>>53346497
True that
>>
File: untitled.png (167 KB, 1139x885) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
167 KB, 1139x885
Define Irony, bias and hypocrisy.

Get warned for starting a thread about a band outside a KPOP general on a board with 20 active rap threads at once.
>>
>>53346916
kpop fans only have themselves to blame. their threads are 1% music and 99% whos cutest. mostly theyre just chatrooms for the kpoppers, thats why you were corralled into a containment thread in the first place
>>
>>53345982
This
It's always popular to talk about how /mu/ sucks, but I don't think it helps complaining.
Sure, some posts are shitty, but literally everyone can post so it'll obviously happen. I personally like most of the discussions.
>>
a lot of the people i like aren't even here any more
>>
Constant shitposting, and lack of moderation.

I'd leave, but the good threads are really good, and I have no where else to go for such a wide range of music.

Have you ever tried going on Something Awful's music boards? The worst.
>>
Everyone is unnecessarily rude and hostile. Taste is largely homogenous, and it's the same topics and memes every day.

But I've been here 7 years and I can't bring myself to leave.
>>
Belligerence, pretension, and ignorance.
>>
it got boring quite a while ago and i have all the shoegaze music i need.
>>
File: 1420952629441.png (513 KB, 761x507) Image search: [Google]
1420952629441.png
513 KB, 761x507
People don't actually care about music. Legitimately interesting artists who make original, genre-pushing, awesome music are off-handedly shunned by people who haven't taken the time to listen to them because repeating memes and in-jokes takes precedence over actual music discussions.

The ideal /mu/ would be a forum where people have different tastes and openly discuss them so that we can all share what we know and have some good discussion. The current /mu/ is a forum where everyone is out to cement the collective opinion on a particular band to match their own, no matter how many memes they have to flood threads with.
>>
Too many solipsistic teenagers.
>>
/mu/ has too many of the following
>death grips circlejerk threads
>shitty sharethreads
>kpop threads
>threads that are useless or talking about taste and 3X3 or 4X4 threads Recommending music is fine but lets be honest its a total circlejerk of who can have the most underground recs
>Fantano and Pitchfork worship and spamming

If only the mods did something about this, but I have a feeling they are involved in these threads, or find it a cruel joke and just say "shut up fag".

Honestly I only come on here to make my own threads about discussion of BMSR and other groups I don't see discussed too much.
>>
>>53349526
>If only the mods did something about this
the mods and janitors arent here to mould /mu/ to your liking, they only enforce the rules. you might not like, say, 3x3 threads, but what rules are they breaking? none.
>>
>>53349573
Somebody hasn't read the irc logs.
>>
This is an excellent example of a good sharethread.
>>>53339091

Variety of indie, underground, ambient, pop etc. Quality shares and descriptions.

>>53349573
This is true. For some reason part of me just wants some of that stuff to disappear because it is not always strictly music discussion, BUT at least they are discussing music more than just meme-ing and spamming.
>>
>>53349526
>Fantano and Pitchfork worship and spamming
this never happens, you are the meme spouter with the drone mentality if you believe this
>>
>>53349623
Ok, you gotta be retarded anon. The amount of time I've seen Fantano's fucking face and Pitchfork worship of their ratings ironically or unironically is the most annoying shit ever. Fuck off you troll.
>>
File: happy frog.jpg (19 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
happy frog.jpg
19 KB, 396x385
Before 2009-2010 this board was excellent. I discovered TONS of artists in all genres, posters were knowledgeable and memes were actually created.

I've been coming here about once in a blue moon those past few years, because this board is a catastrophe of hipster teens now, and here's what I witnessed:
- Downright blood-boiling tripfagging and avatarfagging (the latter seems to have disappeared?), zero music discussion
- Endless supply of 5x5, lastfm, ratemymusic etc egothreads, zero music discussion
- Extremely stale sharethreads when there are any, music everyone knows in it, or an archive of obscure uninteresting crap copypasted by some kewl kid

Since the beginning of the present decade, I don't get why this board is still in the "creative" section of 4chan. The only creativity I see is little faggots finding ways to look cool and out-musical librarying their peers, with an endless stream of P4K hipster garbage.

Oh yeah did I mention when people were spouting AOTY in January? didn't visit here this year, dunno if that still happens.

Basically most users here are wannabe musical critiques, meaning, talentless turds who can only get some kind of self-worth by saying OMG THIS ALBUM IS SOOOOO GOOOD, which tries hard at hinting that they have such good taste, because they listen to such good music.
Of course this self-validation exercise has to be repeated constantly, which invalidates reviews, since they're all dithyrambic

I haven't discovered exciting music here for years (granted, I don't visit much), thank God there's still Lastfm and Soulseek.

I wrote to Moot several times begging him to turn this board into forced anon and ban egothreads, but I guess he hates y'all even more than I do because he deliberately chose to let you wallow in your filth :^)

I want this board to die
>>
I want to leave, because being on the internet so much is unhealthy and I need to be a better student. I stay, because /mu/ has helped me appreciate many different kinds of music and has introduced me to bands I very well may have never found about otherwise. It isn't /mu/ persay it's just the internet in general that's fucking people over. /mu/, unlike a lot of other websites, can actually offer a broader horizon and new insights into music for people that don't know much about. That is, if you can wade through all the shitposting, memes, and awful opinions.
>>
>>53349673
This board always will be 90% shit, 10% gold. I consistently visit and I always tell myself to leave, but then there is that one sharethread or that one Pavement thread that just convinces me to stay for some reason...
>>
>>53345786
It's too late for me. It was always too late.
>>
>>53346497
>no sense of community
I think this is the main reason I consider leaving. I come because I can find stuff funny every now and then. But last month when every other thread was >jenny death when I wanted to leave.

but i didn't. I hate it but I love it.
>>
>>53348847
>something awful
I don't even know how their reply system works. I have never and will never post there. I only lurk.
>>
>>53349673
the cartoon frog avatar fag is the worst.
>>
It's better than /tv/
>>
>>53349777
Did I trigger you? :(
>>
>>53348847
>Have you ever tried going on Something Awful's music boards?
I would, but I don't know how to travel back to 2005.
>>
>>53349758
I thought you had to pay to see threads there?
>>
Way too left. Too much Transgender acceptance
>>
>>53345786
I don't really like /mu/. I only stop by the front page occasionally while on my way to /prod/.
>>
>>53349673
Hey, I have no idea what I am doing here but your post rings true to me! I do not know how to move around at all yet but if it helps

Check out Vast the songs Touched and Dirty Hole are good examples of what to expect there. I hope this helps if so umm I guess I just keep checking the thread?!
Have a good one!
>>
Memes
>>
No one here even plays instruments, no one even writes songs, barely anyone REALLY cares about music. All /mu/tants do consistently is bitch about the latest Anthony Fantano review or compete with each other to see who will come up with the newest, dankest /mu/ meme. This place is nothing more than an addicting time-killer for people who have nothing to do. You should all leave this website forever. You'll be thankful for it.
>>
>>53345786
because you people like Death Grips.
>>
>>53346497
I would like to refer you to a wonderful website that would cater to your specific needs.

http://www.reddit.com/
>>
>>53345786
shitposting. it's pretty much everywhere. no genuine discourse takes place. retards rampant everywhere.
>>
>>53352619
A better option would be getting off the internet and doing something worthwhile.
>>
>>53345786
Because the bandcamp/soundcloud threads speak so much about everyone's barely existent musical experience and it reflects hard.
>>
>>53346476
agree with this, also this post-ironic poptimism trend is a real cancer. i go on 4chan to talk to rejects like me about relatively obcure things i can't discuss with normie friends, if i wanted to talk about the new katy perry single i'd go to a bar and chat about top 40 shit while drinking a mojito or whatever the fuck plebs drink.
>>
>>53352619
Literally better than this shithole, at least actual discussion takes place and they have a blacklist
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.