[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: LAT_89-12-21-1.jpg (68 KB, 400x212) Image search: [Google]
LAT_89-12-21-1.jpg
68 KB, 400x212
Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WiPs
>soundcloud for completed tracks and getting called a fruit for not going to soundcloud threads
We're making an album! (or trying to).
Check the next post for info.
Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
link to pastebin.com
>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
link to mu-sic-production.wikia.com
>>
are their general guidelines for recording to cassette from digital? all sources I see are for the opposite, I just want a good cassette sound
>>
NAMM 2015
Discuss
>>
>>53338564
http://www.duplication.ca/cassette-tips.htm

most important things:
>high/low pass filter
>put emphasis on the 2-6khz range to de-emphasize some of the tape hiss
>>
>>53338486

Is that Tom Moulton?
>>
>>53338651
No thats Freddy Mercury smokin a spliff
>>
>>53338638
>>53338564
oh and make sure it's mono when you record to a cassette
>>
is there a way to balance the highs and lows in audacity? like even it out a bit?
>>
>>53338928
>like even it out a bit?
You mean, to equalize them? Sure, you could use the equalizer to equalize them
>>
>>53338486
>no lunga for the OP pic again
is the age of lunga over or are you just a different person making these threads?

>>53338564
>cassette audio
>good
pick one m8
>>
>>53338986
>a guide cassette sound

was meant to imply that I wanted a sound that was good for cassette, a medium with a unique sound that stands to benefit some music for some purposes, in the ears of some people. I didn't mean to open the door to opinions, sorry I made it seem that way
>>
>>53339013
*good
>>
>>53339013
in that case just record the audio semi-hot and don't use any noise reduction unless you want the dynamics butchered by screwy volume pumping
>>
>>53339038
no low/high pass filtering?
>>
>>53339074
most cassettes are going to take a bit off the high end anyways so i don't see the point in doing that before you run the audio onto the tape unless you want a really drastic filtered sound.

also you're probably going to want to stick to type 1/normal bias cassettes if you want that "warm" type of sound that most people associate with cassettes. type 2/high bias and type 4/metal bias aren't going to do much to color the audio besides give it a higher noise floor.
>>
>>53339131
ok, I did a test recording and my experience was that when there was a lot going on it was really distorted, then I re-recorded with the volume halved, and then it sounded perfect but the hiss over-powered it, is there any solution for this?

This was only with a few songs, most of them sounded really nice, mostly 60's psych stuff
>>
>>53339171
like >>53338638 said, put emphasis on the 2-6khz range in equalization
>>
>>53339171
what brand of tape are you recording onto? generic/no-name brands are usually pretty shit compared to tapes by known companies.

tapes from companies like BASF, sony, maxell, or tdk are usually your best bet.
>>
https://clyp.it/zqal21ka

Mu-verb reporting in with tape saturation
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 995x296) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 995x296
Teac anon here. Anybody have experience buying brand new 1/4" tape
>>
Is the SP-202 sound quality garbage? Do any of you own one?
>>
>>53339261
they're some generic no name tapes I had lying around, I'm just doing a mixtape, I'll see if I can fix it with equalization, if not, it's not that bad
>>
>>53339352
no but if you need to know where to get new tape reels you can buy them from national audio company if you're in the united states

>>53339371
it's got several different quality settings m8 so it can sound like garbage if you want it to or sound slightly lower quality than CD audio
>>
>>53339352
oh hey bro! how's the machine working for ya? I assume you've had at least old tape to mess around with yeah?
>>
File: outsideexpression.gif (954 KB, 375x211) Image search: [Google]
outsideexpression.gif
954 KB, 375x211
>>53339283
>mfw the way it affects the quality

holy shit why would anyone ever damage their sound like that
>>
Should I master a beat before or after I have the vocals? I would assume after, but seeing how people sell beats it seems like it'd be weird to sell them unmastered.
>>
>>53339496
Is this the only reaction gif you have?
>>
>>53339496
>that pic
>in every /prod/ thread
>without fail
based spidervomit anon
>>
>>53339499
What are you talking about faggot? Always after
>>
>>53339499
After. Adding in vocals is part of the mixing process, and all mixing comes before mastering.

People that sell beats online master them so that they sound good and make you want to buy them, but ideally you'll want it unmastered (since after you mix in the vocals, you'll be mastering that end result). Actually, ideally you'd want unmastered stems, but it depends on who's selling them as to whether or not they'll do that I guess.
>>
File: laughspasm.gif (491 KB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
laughspasm.gif
491 KB, 260x146
>>53339527
holy shit i lost it

>>53339547
just doin my job early since i missed the past few threads
>>
>>53339453
I've been destroying cassette tapes, but they're not the right bias, and the tape doesn't move parallel to the heads, so the repeats don't always happen. It's annoying to have a working machine but no tape.

>>53339427
They don't have 7" reels. But I will probably buy their 10 1/2" reels and tape pancakes when I get some good NAB adapters.
>>
>>53339649
aah yeah 1/8" cassette tape's gon' be all whonky on that.
>>
>>53339594
>>53339603
yeah, I assumed so. Just making sure
>>
>>53339283

Oh well, I'll give the sample source since this isn't going anywhere.

You're the one that I want by John Travolta and Olivia Newton from Grease OST
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.