[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a band general? As in, we discuss being in a band.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 30_19thurstonmoore_z.jpg (44 KB, 500x481) Image search: [Google]
30_19thurstonmoore_z.jpg
44 KB, 500x481
Can we have a band general? As in, we discuss being in a band. Not other bands.

>Gig stories
>Booking/Promotion
>Local scenes

Stuff like that. Let's give it a shot. Note that this isn't a thread for sharing your SC or Bandcamp unless it's actually relevant.
>>
Looking like band I'm in is finally going to start getting shows. So the question becomes, how2dance while playing guitar? Is it best to...
>classic don't-move-and-stare-at-my-pedalboard
>jerk around like an idiot, meaning just move to the music however I'm feeling
Unsure of which one to go with.

Gigging guitarist / bassists of /mu/, how do you move around when you play? Groove or no?
>>
>>53334675
I basically only play DIY shows. They're the only good ones in Colorado. Crowd surfing is welcomed and everybody gets down and actually has fun, because when you play at a house, nobody's worried about security or any of that shit.

>>53334878
I dance, why the fuck wouldn't you unless you had autism?
>>
>>53334962
I mean some of our stuff is pretty shoegazey, I feel like dancing then wouldn't be super authentic. Don't really know how to move to walls of sound etc
>>
>>53334962
I live in Australia and we have a pretty tight-knit circle of a couple dudes who throw house shows every once in a while, but ultimately the culture for that kind of thing isn't anywhere near as good as the US.

Basements literally don't exist in Queensland, so that's probably part of it. I wish I were kidding.
>>
>>53335008
You can't force it dude. It doesn't matter what kind of music you play, MOVE, man. Nobody likes to watch people just stand still onstage. Smoke some weed and start trying it out at practice. Just move wherever the music takes you, then once you feel good about it, do it live, too.

>>53335061
That's cool, sucks there's no basements there though haha. And I dunno, man, DIY/DIT is contagious as fuck, I'm sure it'll catch on there before long. Sounds like you're off to a good start anyway
>>
>>53334878
I try to move a bit but ultimately I realised that I kinda need to concentrate, so all my movement is in my head. Until I sing, then apparently I look cooler.
>>
>>53335203
Next time I move house I'm getting somewhere we can throw shows. I want to fill my house with rainbow machines, turn the lights off and get a whole bunch of post-rock bands or singersongwriters to play.
>>
guitarist/singer/bassist/trumpet player here.
I've been trying to form a band or at least get a gig as a solo musician here in south Florida.
Is there a way to start off playing gigs? All the other friends I ask say they get them because they "know people". However, I haven't begun just yet and don't know anyone to hire me for a gig, therefore I can't begin performing live.

>TL;DR
In order to start playing concerts, I need to know people.
In order to know people, I need to play concerts.
So circular reasoning is the answer because the answer is circular reasoning.
What do?
>>
>>53335278
Just sway side to side subtle to what your playing
>>
>>53335596
Dude LEAVE FLORIDA. Florida sucks, dude
>>
>>53335596
Perform at open mic nights if you want to go solo. Do it a few times, you'll become a tiny bit known, start contacting promoters for real shows. Someone will give you a shot in a local show. It could help if you have demos or at least live recordings from an open mic. I've seen this method work for my friend.

Or get members in a band, and chances are one of them has some sort of useful connection. It's the way my band started getting gigs, the bassist knew two guys from local bands. We set up a house show with them, and people liked us. They recommended us to promoters, and it went from there.
>>
i play drums in a garage/punk band. we haven't done anything too crazy, our biggest set was probably at Los Globos in LA (AnCo recently did a DJ set there, very cool).

LA is kinda cool, there's a lot going on but the whole scene of guitar music is basically garage rock a la burger/lollipop records and that scene can be a bit tiresome.
>locas.bandcamp.com
>>
My band has played quite a few shows, but since I've joined, I've only played one which was my first real performance. I'm trying to be more intoxicated for the next show.
>>
I was in a band one time but I got kicked out after I asked out the drummer and pissed off the frontman (I told him he was too quiet and his songwriting needed to be more complex). Right now I casually make music with a few friends but I want to start making music, and make it seriously. All the local bands are a bunch of lo fi, surf rock, soft cock pop punk shitbirds and I think I might actually be able to stand out which is exciting but I also have nothing to show for it yet.
>>
>>53336248
>garage/punk in LA
That is the definition of not too crazy
Also nice plug
>>
Selling tickets is hard as fuck. People will say they like your music, but most of them never actually want to go to a show. Half the time we end up paying to play.

how 2 deal?
>>
>>53334675

I'll be back there in, like, 8 hours ,if the thread is still here and i have a quite general question :

How to gain assurance on stage?

I'm personnaly a singer but one of our guitarist is interested if that helps.
We're playing generic rock covers just to play something but some of us are interested about a black metal project.
>>
>>53336448
If you're just doing covers and shit you probably shouldnt be trying to get shows, it will give you bad local rep as a meh cover band (sorry mate). If you're interested in black metal that sounds a lot more interesting I say go for it.
>>
>>53334878

I started just by looking around and walking around while playing songs at practice. Eventually you begin to get comfortable with moving and playing at the same time. Then just try to have fun and dance to the music like you normally would. It doesn't have to be jumping all over the place, it can be subtle. The key is just to not stand there rigidly looking uncomfortable. Unless it's deliberate like kraftwerk or something.
>>
>>53336442
play free shows
>>
My local scene is straight up garbage I'm in a shoegazey band and I'm always put on the bill with lame pop punk bands and stuck playing for a bunch of bros in flannel making jokes about pizza
>>
>>53336542
Put posters around areas where your audience would be. Try to build a rep, act like you're more successful than you are, have an online presence, all good starts
>>
File: 1420349980582.jpg (75 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1420349980582.jpg
75 KB, 800x600
what are your guys methods for booking shows? I'm interested in the process.
>>
>>53336654
We get several show offers a month, and we choose one or two to do. Sometimes we'll see an early announcement with some bands we dig, and we'll contact the promoter asking to play. We don't always get put on the bills we ask to be on, but it works about half the time. And if we're turned down, the promoter often comes back later with another show offer
>>
>>53335008
Just stare at someone the whole time and only move your fingers.
>>
>>53336248
First two tracks are shakey and idk if I'm autistic but it sounded like the guitarist lost time once of twice on the opener. Away is probably the best track but I don't think its particularly interesting. I like that the last track manages to bring it down without being too jarring.
All in all yeah it's pretty okay.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.