[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>still dyslexia edition Post the tracks you're worki
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 13
File: 2moredyslexias.jpg (439 KB, 885x886) Image search: [Google]
2moredyslexias.jpg
439 KB, 885x886
>still dyslexia edition
Post the tracks you're working on, discuss general music composition. Learn why you shouldn't pirate reaper and why 'the spirit of /prod/ is dead'.

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WiPs
>soundcloud for completed tracks and getting called a cake boy for not going to soundcloud threads

We're making an album! (or trying to).
Check the next post for info.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki

Previous thread: >>53243170
>>
File: lunga2morebeers.jpg (232 KB, 885x886) Image search: [Google]
lunga2morebeers.jpg
232 KB, 885x886
>>53283400
We're making an album! (or trying to).
How to join:
>Take a good look at this picture
>Be inspired by it
>that's it
Anything goes, feel free to find anons to collab and have fun with in any way you want. Or just work solo.
We're doing this for fun and you got until end of February to submit.
>>
more like little too late edition
>>
File: KIMG0056.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0056.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
third for learning piano with an ATTITUDE!
>>
File: 1361757868627.jpg (54 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1361757868627.jpg
54 KB, 720x540
Friendly reminder of how not to be a gigantic faggot:

1) Do not post your soundcloud. We don't care about your fucking chill vaportrap music.

2) Use clyp.it

3) ask specific questions regarding whatever you want to know. This is not a soundcloud thread. We aren't here to "cool beats bro, check out mine". do not post a song while fishing for compliments you twat. Only post when you have a question about a specific thing related to /prod/ (ie is the mixing right, is the low end good, how do I achieve this effect etc)

4) enjoy your stay
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 640x480
I am so excited right now and I don't know why.
>>
>>53283011
Nothing too /bleep/, something that would work well with vox and a live bass guitar. Ideally something sharp that can be filtered with effects or otherwise made to sound "dreamy," really going after synthpop/downtempo.
>>
Working on a track and for the first time I'm really bummed out that I don't have the same resources as professional producers. I'm having these ideas of putting in some sax or trumpet and some vocals etc. but I have no way of realizing them.
>>
>>53283417
a deadline finally, now i can start to work
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
post ur best mic setups and techniques /prod/
>>
>>53283573
write the notes in midi then find someone online who can play those instruments and have them record the pieces for you. theres tons of websites for collaborating just google
>>
>>53283573

>I'm really bummed out that I don't have the same resources as professional producers

nah m8 stop making excuses. A "professional" producer has fancier gear, sure, but what makes him a pro are the years and years of experience. No amount of money can buy that.

Stop crying and keep producing

>I'm having these ideas of putting in some sax or trumpet and some vocals etc.

Put an ad on craigslist/your local bar, ask for musicians interested in a collab. A lot of them would do it for free if you are smaht with words
>>
>>53283573
dude just pirate the stuff professionals use, okay you will never get vocals in a track, but you can get pretty good brass sounds with the right software
>>
>>53283573
Learn to write sheet music. Then you can tap into the vast wealth of high school band nerds who don't do anything with their lives. You'd be surprised by how excited they get when you give them music, you usually don't even need to pay them.

Once you realize that they don't play well, just record a bunch of overdubs. That's basically how a sports/pep band works.
>>
File: still messy.jpg (349 KB, 1306x736) Image search: [Google]
still messy.jpg
349 KB, 1306x736
>>53283570
Do you 100% need analog? There's quite a few older synths that can do that synthpop/dream pop really well on the cheap while being fairly robust.
>>
>>53283619
>>53283617
>>53283682
I'm gonna try finding somebody to record some shit for me, hope it works out!
I think I can work out some sheet music, shouldn't be too much of a problem.
>>
>>53283400
Why shouldn't you pirate reaper?
>>
File: I need money.png (255 KB, 1279x1023) Image search: [Google]
I need money.png
255 KB, 1279x1023
post a screen cap of your WIP right now and r8 them. Tell other people why they are idiots.
>>
Sometimes I get a little high-pitched noise sound through my USB interface, like something isn't grounded properly. It goes away if I wiggle the cable a bit but it's still annoying, will it stop if I get a different USB cable?
>>
>>53283592
Yeah, 1st of march according to >>53250769. Someone should probably copy that post into a notepad just to keep it in mind.
>>
>>53283830
was for >>53283579
>>
File: comfyoutoften.jpg (53 KB, 197x190) Image search: [Google]
comfyoutoften.jpg
53 KB, 197x190
>big snowstorm
>sitting in warm room
>making comfy music
>drinking some coffee
>about to eat

/prod/ are you this comfy right now? If not, why?
>>
>>53283816
Are you using balanced or unbalanced audio cables?
>>
>>53283873
I'm pretty damn comfy

>big snowstorm
>warm room
>lights dim
>watching top gear
>>
>>53283878
Balanced, it's not the audio cables though (I don't think), I should have explained it better

Laptop > USB cable > interface > XLR cables > monitors

I'm pretty sure the noise happens between the laptop and the USB cable, since it stops if I wobble it
>>
I'm working on this track, I guess it's kind of deep house but only a bit

https://clyp.it/cv5fb3aj

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could share their opinions on it, is it too long/boring? I've never really done anything at this tempo so it all feels a bit unfamiliar
>>
File: stillusingthedemo.png (203 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
stillusingthedemo.png
203 KB, 1440x900
>>53283762
>using default ableton skin
u is an idiert

>>53283873
not comfy because practicing piano and keeping correct upright posture can be a pain if you haven't been doing it for 5+ years. also precalculus homework :C
>>
>>53283938
Perhaps it's your cable or computer socket. Try swapping the cable and switching sockets on the computer.

Is it RF noise? It could be from your monitor or something else that isn't filtered.
>>
>>53284035
>u is an idiert

default is best
>>
>>53284035
nah m8 I like it. All, the other ones are to loud
also that looks confusing as shit, as a matter of fact everything looks so confusing compared to ableton. Is that because it was my first daw?
>>
>>53283592
I don't have my computer because it's in the shop getting its guts fixed but I have lots of mics and love mic setups. Idunno what the setup in your pic is supposed to be!

I like a good XY or ORTF, but spaced pairs are underrated (depends what you're recording of course). M-S and Blumlein are my current favs as I'm getting into recording large sources.
>>
>>53283762
had to do some collapsing to make things fit, but come at me
>>
>>53284035
I know this feel, I really need to get an office chair, because I feel like thats the biggest problem with being productive. I've been using a wooden dining chair and its extremely uncomfortable. Right now Im just in my bed though which is p nice. I wanna grab a nice office chair but I really wanna use that money to buy a synth. feelsbadman
>>
>>53283706
>on the cheap
How cheap are we talking about exactly, anon? Cus I'm thinking of buying a cheap used volca keys or bass (don't even know what the difference is) through ebay.

>>53284060
wow man dont take it so personal i was just kidding jeez.

>>53284120
Keks aside, it looks like you have a cool sounding track going on. Did you program all those midi notes with the mouse? Ableton was my first daw too, used it for like a 2 or 3 weeks and got 'not shit' at it, then I tried Renoise demo and I've been using it for almost a month now; I might buy it, or go back to ableton forever when my launchkey49 gets here. such is the fate of a poorfag like me
>>
>>53284189
I recently got one from Ikea for £50 or something, comfy as shit and I find myself looking forward to sitting down and making bleeps. 10/10 would recommend
>>
>>53284016
hey I like it really nice melodies and layering, but personally I don't like the percussion it's a bit to safe I guess? idk. I'm going to sound like a giant tool right now but you should do drums and percussion like burial I feel as if it would complement the melodies and progressions nicely. And maybe add something in the background something very big and with lotsa reverb. you could also use that to fuck with the cutoff and what not to change the song up, give it progression
>>
>>53284038
Hadn't thought of switching USB ports on my laptop actually, that would be a convenient fix

It just sounds like something isn't grounded properly, so it might be the cable that's dodgy
>>
>>53284217
yeah I draw them in with my mouse. I should get a midi keyboard, and an amp. I feel as if that would help me get ideas down much quicker. Need to make a little checky studio
>>
>>53283706
I don't need analog at all, but the Volcas are the epitome of cheap from what I've seen. What alternatives can get that sound? I'm looking at the Akai MiniAK or Micron too.
>>
>>53284284
Thanks for listening man, I thought about having more ambient-style percussion but then I thought about the 100 people I follow on soundcloud who do their percussion like that. It's hard to pull it off IMO

I might try some more off the wall stuff in terms of percussion though, rather than using actual hi hat and snare sounds

Also I considered pitched down vocal samples but that's been done loads, and I can't think of anything worthwhile to sample
>>
>>53284383
If you're in the UK I have a micron I'm looking to sell

I'm guessing that didn't help in any way
>>
>>53283400
fucking hell i'm tryna make music but these vsauce videos are fucking addictive
>>
https://soundcloud.com/papa-dick
>>
File: sadas.jpg (554 KB, 1924x1080) Image search: [Google]
sadas.jpg
554 KB, 1924x1080
>>53283762

>default skin

puke.jpeg

>>53284016

a vocal, even if it was just a generic "speech from MLK with added reverb" would make it more interesting IMO. As it is now, there's nothing interesting about it. >opinion
>>
>>53284217
>>53284383
>How cheap are we talking about exactly, anon? Cus I'm thinking of buying a cheap used volca keys or bass (don't even know what the difference is) through ebay.

Well if you're lucky you can pick up a DX7 for around 150 which in my opinion is the most versatile albeit a bit harder to use for synth/dream pop

>>53284383
Miniak would probably be a decent choice as well. I had one a long time ago and they were fantastic for all sorts of sounds.
>>
>>53284537

refer to

>>53283490
>>
I just put this together, so some stuff needs to be adjusted. I sorta looped it so you could hear it a few times, the short beat itself is ~3 seconds long. What do you think /prod/?

https://clyp.it/00xsywy5
>>
>>53284422
check it out man just gotta keep practicing on getting that shit right. And about doing the pitched vocal stuff I know people have over done it but personally I think who cares if you want to have that sound go for it, but do It in a way that is different and unique get weird with it through something on there that you normally wouldn't. tahts just what I have learned/what I think (that goes for every musical trend)
>>
i uploaded this for a fellow prod buddy and figured i might as well post it on this thread in case anybody wants it.

izotope iris vst for windows, its got the 32 and 64 bit included

https://mega.co.nz/#!zlFmRCqZ!Wj_huh_AHmuHLLHeKw-lKl_eRF5HXUQJUjvahulJhBI
>>
>>53284627
I'd take this down, mods don't look kindly on it
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.