[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>We have tons of names for genres for western music >Most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: Philip Glass.jpg (12 KB, 220x273) Image search: [Google]
Philip Glass.jpg
12 KB, 220x273
>We have tons of names for genres for western music
>Most westerners just refer to music from Africa, Asia, etc as "world music"
Why are we such self-centered assholes?
>>
You are so so so fucking right on the money I questioned this myself a few months ago now I'm trying to learn more about the culture and not just the music gives you proper appreciation for all things music.
>>
thread derailment any second now
>>
Becuase it's easier to call them world music then to learn the names of their genres
>>
File: mu.png (68 KB, 1070x3039) Image search: [Google]
mu.png
68 KB, 1070x3039
>/mu/
>>
Because the record company jews are widely marketing the western music and as such we are all aware of the names of western genres
>>
>>53209841
Because Amerifats and Europoors think they are the centre of the world.

Well done m8, you've had the first realisation, welcome to postcolonialism 101.
>>
>>53209954
Oh, the juice did it.
>>
>>53209949
but those metal and punk subgenres wouldn't belong in those threads?
>>
>>53209841
That's a terrible point, you moron. Most people don't know all the subgenre names for Western music either and other music does have subgenre names (again, that most people don't know). The people who know the difference between minimalism and free improvisation also know the difference between gamelan and afrobeat. People know the names of the styles of music they listen to, that's just common sense. Try harder next time.
>>
>we have tons of names for rock subgenres
>most people just refer to all pre-20th century art music as "classical music"

>we have tons of names for various types of electronic genres
>most people just refer to all improv-based blues-rooted music as "jazz"

It's all relative

Everything can be lumped into some kind of meta-genre

I bet you spend weeks learning about all the different styles of music from one part of Asia or Africa and still sum up huge, diverse genres with labels like "Latin music" or "Hungarian folk"
>>
>>53210013
>>we have tons of names for rock subgenres

Yet, rock, punk, metal, is all thats needed.
>>
>>53209982
We are, you're just not important, Johnny Foreigner. If we're not the centre of the world how come you fucking leeches are always emigrating here with your sob stories?
>>
>>53210034
prog is probably also needed tbh
>>
>>53210013
still not as stupid as "world music" though, anything ever could be world music
>>
>>53210111

Except for space rock.. and space jazz...

>nice trips btw
>>
>>53210081
No.
>>
>>53210051
le epic empire racism

hmm i dunno how about the fact that the living standards are much higher in the west than elsewhere because it's been enriched massively by hundreds of years of colonial pillaging

nice historical ignorance bro
>>
This isn't even true, musical diversity is accelerated by industrialization of it, and you can see diverse names for diverse and often nationally unique genres in countries with semi-healthy music industries. Your more limited by language barriers and distance.
>>
What is reggae?
What is dub?
What is Bossa Nova?
What is Cumbia?
What is Afrobeat?

Any music fan with a brain knows these.
>>
>>53210009
>not distinguishing between Javanese and Balinese gamelan
pleb
>>
>>53210013
The funny thing is that a lot of the genre assignments in electronic music are more or less arbitrary.
>>
>>53210457
yeah but i bet you call any african folk music world music or some shit faggot. im ignorant to a vast majority of the music of other cultures but at least i admit it.
>>
>>53210529
Rock, metal, punk
EDM, IDM, Electro acoustic

That about covers both
>>
World music is just a section that music stores use as a catch all because they don't want tons of confusing dividers

It's why half every stores' music is under rock & pop. If it aint broke, don't fix it
>>
most westerners just refer to western music as 'rock, pop, jazz, classical'
>>
File: 7d.png (54 KB, 300x599) Image search: [Google]
7d.png
54 KB, 300x599
>>53210542
I spend as much time exploring as I do listening to Europe and US music
>>
>>53210406
>colonial pillaging
britain used indias resources way better than india did and improved standards of living in india
>>
The level of precision we use/need depends on how familiar we are with the thing in question.

Although "world music" is pushing it (and probably frowned upon in many circles), I think saying "traditional African music" or "traditional Egyptian music" or whatever is okay. People in other countries also talk about "Occidental music" — simplistic, but understandable.

We're getting more precise too nowadays, look at all the subgenres listed there for instance:
https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/African+Music/
>>
>>53210611
>railway system designed to extract resources
>improved standard of living

sure if you consider manufactured famines as a form of population control as an improved standard of living

seriously just read a fucking book
>>
Everyone is self centered. I'm sure people in other parts of the world have names for genres native to them, and don't give a fuck about most of the stuff from elsewhere. If not, that's their deal, not mine.
>>
>>53210629
yeah india was doing great before the british came and definitely wouldnt have had famines :^)

also black people invented the cellphone :^)
>>
>>53210574
>world
>world music
>north korean
>brazillian
>brasil
>philipines
>filipino music
>indonesia
>caribean
>latino america
>latin
>honduras
>vietnamese

those tags scream ignorance not necessarily by you but by the taggers. proves ops point exactly. i wouldn't see someones tag cloud have USA, North American, UK, Canada music, etc.
>>
>>53210642
Nice job completely misrepresenting what I said tho brah
>>
>>53210671
I don't disagree, just showing I do explore but yes, the majority are blissfully and willfully ignorant, what can you do
>>
>>53210704
but they did improve the standard of living, there would have been famines with or without the british
>>
>>53210734
"MANUFACTURED famines"

Can you read?
>>
>>53210765
but there would have been famines anyway
>>
>>53210034
No.
>>
>>53210778
that makes it ok to purposefully cause them? what the fuck.
>>
File: sons of the pioneers.jpg (45 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
sons of the pioneers.jpg
45 KB, 400x400
>We have Western music
>We have Country-Western music
>We have Western Swing music
>We have Western Close Harmony music

Damn, America makes me proud sometimes.
>>
>>53210862
your argument was that the standard of living didn't improve from colonialism which is obviously not true
>>
>>53210897
pretty sure enslavement and extermination of your people is a lower standard of living than living off the land and shit
>>
If you feel this way you should start posting in the daily /trad/ generals :^) we can all learn more about different cultures and their musical heritage :^)

>>53205397
>>53205397
>>53205397
>>53205397
>>53205397
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.