[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prog/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: the boad of rones.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
the boad of rones.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
prog thread post prog

pic related, is good prog
>>
File: flyingcolorssecondnaturecd.jpg (41 KB, 638x638) Image search: [Google]
flyingcolorssecondnaturecd.jpg
41 KB, 638x638
>>53165846
Good album, although Pendragon released better neo-prog album the same year
MY AOTY was Flying Colors by far
>>
brazilian prog is p nice
http://youtu.be/CGQNzhAFHaY
>>
>>53165846
what's the best IQ album?

just listened to road of bones and liked it
>>
>>53166826
Dark Matter is most accessible, Seventh House and Subterraneanea are considered the best
>>
File: post-prog 4.jpg (594 KB, 1160x590) Image search: [Google]
post-prog 4.jpg
594 KB, 1160x590
>>53165846
>post prog

post-prog?
>>
>>53166699
>Pendragon released better neo-prog album the same year
Truth

Also fuck that Flying Colors record was good. Like I was expecting shit and it was awesome. All Casey btw, the album would be shit without him.

>>53166826
Frequency best, Ever or Dark Matter probably most entry level. Subterranea is considered best but I have a feeling that's only true because it's long and idiots think that longer=better
>>
What is the best prog band nowadays? I feel like no band ever took that flag since Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree stoped existing/being good.
>>
>>53166989
You'e trying really hard, but I feel this won't become a thing here
>>
>>53167394
Riverside easily
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QVextqpcnI
>>
>>53167394
Magma has been holding that flag for decades though ;)
>>
File: Guiding-Lights.jpg (82 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Guiding-Lights.jpg
82 KB, 600x600
>>53166989
pic related should be on there
>>
>>53167394
If you're into metal, then Leprous and Blindead. If not, then there's no real GOAT at the moment, although I personally think Arcane, with their two new albums this year both being awesome, could get up there.

There are some great bands that are on the fringes of prog like Iamthemorning and Dream the Electric Sleep but they're not true prog

>>53167396
To be honest it's already kind of a thing here, the problem is that most of /mu/ thinks that stuff is garbage
>>
>>53167497
Don't think you quite know what post-prog is. It should have at least some significant part that links to either alternative rock or post-hardcore. That album has neither.

>>53167455
Peaked six years ago, don't think they're quite the best right now.
>>
>>53167455
Followed by Phideaux, Anathema, Gazpacho Sylvan or Spock's Beard
>>
>>53167543
>Phideaux
if he puts out a new album that is good and not more of the same
>Anathema
hardly prog but awesome band
>Gazpacho
sorely overrated but their last album is good
>Sylvan
I'd like to say yes but they're so inconsistent. Two GOAT albums then a bunch of meh ones
>Spock's Beard
lol
>>
>>53167532
>Peaked six years ago
You mean 10, they however remain fairly consistent in quality, their new album will be more acoustic like their ViMH EP which might be interesting.
>>
>>53167588
>their best
>anything but ADHD
come on

And I'm a bit skeptical about the new stuff. I personally found VIMH to be super super dull but I think they found some awesome compositional skill with ADHD that they didn't have before that so a newer take on it could be good.
>>
>>53167499
>>53167577
So Steven Wilson solo is still the best?
>>
>>53167394
IMO Opeth's last album is actually good prog, the thing is most prog bands nowadays are either:
a) Deathcoremathspeedprogmetuhlz
b) Porcupine Tree wannabes
c) Trying too hard to sound like "golden era" bands i.e. trying too hard to sound like they were recording and playing in the 70's (like Steven Wilson)

If you really are up to something different check out Polkadot Cadaver (a.ka half of Dog Fashion Disco), not actually prog rock, but actually good experimental rock/metal stuff
>>
>>53167621
Everyone agrees that OoM or SLS is their best so
Yeah I' not entirely sure how it will turn out, but since Riverside are one of the few modern good bands able to balance heavy with soft tracks I'm not too worried
>>
>>53167642
Not someone who browses /mu/ a lot, so what I might say will potentially get me stoned to death, but since Opeth and Riverside have been mentionned, I feel compulsed to say that Dream Theater is still Dream Theater.
>>
>>53167499
TMV and Tool get some love here, otherwise not very much, especially the Australian stuff.
>>
>>53167638
ehhhh maybe. As >>53167642 said, he can't actually be "best" whilst making 70's revival stuff.

>>53167642
You're forgetting the stuff on here >>53166989, which I personally think is the best, but it's prog-ness is up for debate. Also there's a whole bunch of good prog metal that's coming up that isn't djent/core influenced. Leprous, Code, Enslaved, Borknagar, Blindead etc

And yeah agree about Pale Communion, great shit. DFD/PC are too Bungle for me personally, although they have some absolutely awesome songs.

>>53167688
>Everyone agrees that OoM or SLS is their best so
Hardly. Out of my circle of friends there's only one who disagrees with ADHD being the best. I think they're way too melodramatic and some of the melodies just plain suck. Neither are above 7.5/10 for me.

>>53167726
You mean they're still shit?
>>
>>53167726
Haken have proven to do Dream Theater style prog better than Dream Theater

You might also wanna try Distorted Harmony
http://distortedharm0ny.bandcamp.com/
>>
>>53167731
Honestly the only people who know the Aussie bands are the Aussies themselves, and apparently they hate them because of bogans

And I would probably agree if I were Australian
>>
>>53167755
Raven and parts of Grace are his only works that sound 70s, I believe HCE will sound way more modern
>>
>>53167755
>>53167765
DT considered shit tier on /mu/ ?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.