[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys just focus on music or do you try to have a well-rounded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 12
File: lltnf.png (512 KB, 1280x678) Image search: [Google]
lltnf.png
512 KB, 1280x678
Do you guys just focus on music or do you try to have a well-rounded taste in art? What other types of art are you interested in besides music?
>>
1. Music
2. Books
3. Movies
4. Visual Arts
5. Video Games
6. Performing Arts

I find them all interesting, but I never liked theater. I find it boring compared to the opera or movies.
>>
Anime and Manga
>>
I prefer music over any other form of art. I'm an idiot when it comes to movies. I pretty much only read non-fiction books, and the only art I like are pictures/paintings of landscapes or water.
>>
>>53083842
can you explain how you differentiate opera from theatre?
>>
I wish we had a decent film board, /tv/ is probably the most pleb board on 4chan in terms of taste.
>>
I have a passing interest in film, architecture, industrial design and literature.
>>
>>53083842
For me is this but instead swaping movies and video games.

And I love going to the theatre btw.
>>
I'm pretty into film and chinese cartoons/com7c books
I like vidya but I don't really think of it as an art
>>
File: Zauberflöte 2014.jpg (50 KB, 1269x720) Image search: [Google]
Zauberflöte 2014.jpg
50 KB, 1269x720
>>53083910

Opera is theatre + music. It usually is way more spectacle with grand scenery and costumes. They sing, dance and not just talk. I mean Shakespeare is great, but all the modern theatre performances I saw of his work was terrible.

>>53083919

Their taste in movies is odd to say the least.
>>
>>53083919
This, but they have the dankest memes
>>
>>53084088
Shakespeare is a meme playwright
>>
>>53083842
could you pls show me some visual art to get into based malcolm :(
>>
>>53084088

forgot my link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNz65kYmiW8
>>
File: 1421441525243.jpg (36 KB, 553x393) Image search: [Google]
1421441525243.jpg
36 KB, 553x393
>>53083842
>5. Video Games
>>
No matter how much you try, idiots like >>53084143 are unavoidable...
>>
>>53084198
have i upset you, friend? :^)
>>
>>53083842
>5 video games
well memed my friend
>>
>>53084143

I loved video games as a kid / teen. And I think there are a few dozen games that can very well be considered art. Also having fun is fun.

>>53084107

What do you mean? How would I know what kind you would enjoy. Just check out some exhibitions in your city. A lot of them are free, atleast where I come from.
>>
File: faggit.png (110 KB, 665x625) Image search: [Google]
faggit.png
110 KB, 665x625
>>53084088
>Their taste in movies is odd to say the least.
>>
>>53084281
I mean it's not like /mu/never talks about pop artists (Taylor Swift, Kanye, Charlie XCX) but it's balanced out. /tv/ only talks about the most popular blockbusters, threads on niche movies will either get 3 replies or get you called a fedora. Nothing besides superhero movies is allowed.
>>
>>53084281

I have a hard time anyone above the age of 12 with half a brain thinks Avatar is a great movie.
>>
I really wish i knew more about the arts, especially visual arts, but from what i've seen /ic/ is just /deviantart/. i'm slowly getting better taste in movies, i've really liked some of the arthouse i've seen
>>
>>53083776
should i feel gay for not reading books
>>
>>53084854

Why don't you read books? There are many topics surely some of them are interesting to you?
>>
>>53084854
buy a cheap kindle and pirate some books, mang
>>
>>53084484
I took a Philosophical Themes in Film class my senior year of highschool and we watched Avatar. I suggested we do a Razzies type of thing since the class had an Academy Awards-style vote at the end of the year, people were getting pissed off that me and two other guys had nominated Avatar for a couple of Razzie categories
>>
>>53083776
I love watching films, and consider my taste pretty good. Also into visual art, been taking photos for 10 years. Sadly I never prioritize my time for reading, I like doing it but have really surface-level taste
>>
>>53085119

They probably got mad because you aren't sexually attracted to blue furries like they are.
>>
My main focus is and has always been film
The only reason I main /mu/ is because /tv/ is terrible for anything film-related and music is the only other art-form that I can really say I have any kind of passion for

>>53084281
Pretending James Cameron is an unstoppable genius is a meme on /tv/
Not trying to defend them at all, just making sure you know that's a joke
>>
>>53085602

I get the joke, but there are still a lot of hardcore nonironic Avatar fans.
>>
>art

lol
>>
For me its
Music>Books>Movies>TV>Vidya
>>
I'm pretty well-informed on music, philosophy, cinema, literature and a bit of painting.
>>
Movies and videogames
>>53083919
This
>>
>>53086890

I wish studying philosophy wasn't such a career ender. It's really interesting.
>>
1.Movies
2.Music
3.Books/Comics
4.Vidya

I only got into music seriously a few years ago but I've been a movie nerd since I saw Robocop in grade school.
>>
I'm the most well-versed in music, mostly because it's the easiest to get access to and is the least time-consuming, but I've been trying to get into film and literature and poetry lately. Having better success with film since reading takes a lot of time and I don't have a whole lot of that, being in college and all. /lit/ is probably the only consistently decent-or-better board on 4chan regarding art, seeing as most of the people on /mu/ and /tv/ are fucking stupid and not very thoughtful or critical about the art they consume. I also like painting and photography, but I know very little about either, and mostly just absorb them when I run into them rather than actively seeking them out.
>>
>>53087077
Also yeah /tv/ is top pleb board.
>>
I'm actually a playwright and an actor, so yeah. I'm into cinema, too.
>>
So film guys, what's your favorite movie? Mine's either Days of Heaven or The Bicycle Thief.
>>
I used to be pretty into movies, but I focus mostly on music. I watch movies with my film-buff friend from time to time. Last "good" movie I saw was Inherent Vice. Last art-film I saw was Hausu I think.

If I had money to buy DVDs and stuff, I would. Torrenting is just such a pain in the ass. It's way easier to pirate music.
>>
I like the arts that include music, so opera and ballet
I like plays a lot and galleries are a nice day out too
>tfw no matter what tv told you, girls don't actually want you to take them to the ballet
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 512x512
>>53087572

Brazil
Touch of Evil #2
>>
File: The Congress.jpg (1 MB, 2032x3000) Image search: [Google]
The Congress.jpg
1 MB, 2032x3000
I spend as much time watching movies as I do listening to music. I was a /tv/ regular before I started browsing /mu/.

>>53087572
pic related
>>
>>53085004
>pirate some books
tonnes of classics are like 1p on amazon
>>
File: m.jpg (103 KB, 800x1124) Image search: [Google]
m.jpg
103 KB, 800x1124
>>53087572

I have never experienced a performance from any actor that even comes close to Peter Lorre, except for maybe Klaus Kinski.
>>
>>53087726
>paying for something when the author is dead
>>
audio art > video art (not movies) > performance art > installation/ multi-sensual art > multimedia > computer / technology based art > social art > painting/ printmaking 2d fine arts > sculpture / 3d fine arts > fashion > illustration / comics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> graphic design >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> movies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> books / literary arts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> video games
>>
File: 1263681277283.gif (8 KB, 564x391) Image search: [Google]
1263681277283.gif
8 KB, 564x391
>>53088053
>>
>>53088516
fag
>>
>>53083776
>anything posted here
>art
>>53086890
You aren't.
>>
>>53088614

Hating on video games is childish.
>>
1. Music, cinema and literature
2. Video games

I can appreciate others, but I can't pretend I'm well informed on them
>>
File: watts.jpg (347 KB, 1366x735) Image search: [Google]
watts.jpg
347 KB, 1366x735
>>53087572
Mulholland Drive
>>
>>53087572
Days of Heaven is visually one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen

I can't narrow it down to one, but I can narrow it down to 16

Manhattan
Citizen Kane
Chinatown
Nostalghia
After Hours
Oldboy
Brazil
Eraserhead
Sunset Boulevard
Dr. Strangelove
Eternal Sunshine
Blade Runner
Persona
Vertigo
Days of Heaven
La Dolce Vita
>>
File: naomi.jpg (1 MB, 2674x1636) Image search: [Google]
naomi.jpg
1 MB, 2674x1636
>>53088739
Do you think Lynch got to kiss her butt
>>
>>53088886

Lynch is obviously gay. Also please don't say lewd things about other mans waifus.
>>
>>53088646
lol. liking video games is childish. im not sure if i would consider them art except other people were listing them so i did too. i guess i shouldnt completely disregard the medium. the idea of creating virtual realities or interactive audio and visual is very fascinating. but "games" in general reads to me as very low brow. a game is something for entertainment and feeds to the most basic human instincts. therefor i view it as the lowest form of art.
>>
>>53087572
Himiko
Salo
Metropolis
American Psycho
>>
>>53088922
Hey man just appreciating her beauty

Also if he was guy why did he make all those scenes in Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart and Lost Highway and stuff

I always thought of him as a sort of dirty old man
>>
>>53088886
pls no
I can't into sexualizing watts I respect her too much
But dat booty tho
>>
>>53089053
That's why the best games ever aren't really games in the traditional sense, because there's no "winning" or "scores" or anything like that. It's nowhere near, and may never be anywhere near, the level of cinema, but it can do things other mediums can't

Interactivity is seen by many as a roadblock to it's the medium's artistic credibility, but I think it leaves a lot of options open that just need to be explored. I think the main reason it isn't being explored to it's full potential is because of people like you. Who's to say what we would if there were minds as great as Bergman creating "games", but that will never happen because of it's reputation as a child's medium
>>
>>53089053

I know a lot of movies that get praised with shit tier screen writing. I also know a atleast a few dozens video games that have great stories and well written characters. Also there are a lot of games with great visual ideas, so if people consider Star Wars movies and Avatar art I don't see why they wouldn't consider something like the Ultima series art.

>>53089227

because art

>I always thought of him as a sort of dirty old man

That's true.
>>
>>53089053
A videogame contains visual art from artists, music from artists, and written stories from writers. Most mainstream games are shit but your point of perspective seems like the same some people have toward modern music. They only see the surface and think it's superficial.

I would consider few games art, mostly since this new "art form" is still in its infancy, but I don't think you are able to call something not art because it's entertaining and feeds to basic human instincts. The same could be said for all forms of media, and isn't most art made to create some sort of instinctual response?

>>53089373
I think a lot of it comes from a lot of game creators are rejects from other fields. A lot of writers there couldn't make it in more respected fields so writing for games is one of their last options. Not to say their isn't any good writers, but mediocre writing in a game can be considered great by a lot of people who only play games and do not enjoy any other art forms.

By the way has anyone here ever read Hideki Anno's interview last year about why anime has been going down hill (I think that's his name). It applies to a lot of different media really, a lot of people now get more fixated on particular pieces of art so the art they create suffer. His whole argument is how old anime creators were big into film and literature and now newer ones are only taking from other things at a surface level, like new game creators might only take elements of blockbuster movies because they don't know any better.
>>
>>53089053
tips fedora
>>
>>53089373
The original Star Wars doesn't compare to any video game ever, and this is coming from a proponent of games as art

Avatar and the others in the trilogy, yes, but I think you may be underrating Star Wars. It is one of the great myths of the 20th century. It seamlessly blends the Western, the epic saga, the folk tale and the war film in the best possible way. One of the greatest adventures ever put on the screen, it plays almost like a catalog of all the cinematic tricks before it's time, just as Citizen Kane did for it's time (I'm not exactly saying it's as brilliant as Kane)
>>
>>53084143
Not him, but there's at least just one game I would consider the closest videogames have gotten to "art" and that is Shadow of the Colossus.
>>
I'm pretty knowledgeable about novels, film, video games, and visual art. Also I really enjoy theater, poetry and fashion, but I'm less knowledgeable.

I have a contemporary bent to everything though, I'm really not one for classics. To me music and film started in 1950, novels and paintings were first produced around 1850.
>>
Music, drawing and watching movies is pretty much all I do. I haven't fully read a book without getting bored to death since I was 10, excluding art books.
>>
>>53089755
>To me music and film started in 1950, novels and paintings were first produced around 1850.
Wow I don't like you at all
>>
>>53089888
for
>>53089776
>>
>>53089755
Ico is more artful
>>
File: 1418570267005.png (256 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
1418570267005.png
256 KB, 500x380
>>53089776
>>
I really like visual art and books but I don't know that much about them sadly. Also why the fuck do people here seriously call video games art?
>>
>>53087572
eraserhead
>>
>>53090019
Saying something art says nothing for it's "artistic value or quality"

Why does interactivity prevent a medium from being an art form?
>>
I really don't read enough or watch enough films
>>
>>53083919
yea. Sometimes I try look there for movie recs but all they talk about is which TWD characters they want to get raped
>>
>>53090077
You'll be a lot happier if you did. I recently forced myself to spend most of the time I would wasting away on /mu/ reading or watching films, and now I only come here on occasion

It's just a good feeling
>>
>>53090019
If movies and music are art, video games are art.
>>
>>53090072
well everything is art i guess. making food and taking a shit are both art. your post was art mine is too. and video games are art. but you can't compare any of these things to a monet painting.
>>
>>53087768
Just found this on YouTube, gonna give it a watch later. I've seen bits of Metropolis and loved his directing, so I'm looking forward to this.
>>
>>53088053
I think it's safe to say that anyone who doesn't think literature is the best of all arts in terms of containing the most powerful and enduring material, is a total and utter pleb. Virtually every original philosophical notion was first explored in literature, and has for the most part been explored most interestingly through literature.
>>
>>53090207
Nobody is, you idiot
>>
>>53090311
I think it's safe to say that anyone who thinks (medium) is better than (medium) is a complete and utter pleb

How can you compare to things as different as cinema and literature? It doesn't even make sense
>>
Literature, comic books, movies. I would get into painting and sculpture and such, but it seems to have a higher barrier of entry, and older ones seem to require a great deal of historical context to know what the fuck I'm looking beyond "that's pretty."
>>
>>53090352
the book is always better than the movie
>>
>>53090019
Film and video games have both similar potentials to be art I would say, video games are just newer and more business oriented as of now.

>>53090207
You can't compare anything new to something so established such as the art of painting. Art can be a multitude of things, and there have been games made to express the creator and their vision, which means it is art to me.

The game Deadly Premonition is basically a bunch of people obsessed with Twin Peaks trying to make a game that gives the same feeling as Twin Peaks while making it their own. They are expressing themselves and taking influences from other art. There might not be any great visionaries in the medium to more established art forms but it's nearsighted to think it can't be art. It's like looking at mediocre radio pop music and stating no music is art.

I don't really even play games. I think they could be great, and that there are great ones, but overall right now most are shit.

>>53090352
This.
>>
Video Games>Film>Literature>Music>Anime/ Manga>Visual Art>Fashion
>>
>>53090272

The subtitles are kinda meh, which is a shame because Lorres dialogue is so amazing. But I hope you enjoy it anyway.
>>
>>53090352
I think the best literature explores various themes and ideas more profoundly and interestingly; furthermore, I think the best works of literature are more powerful than the best works of other art forms I've seen. I'd say cinema comes second, though, if we're to combine literature with poetry.

I'm talking about how well the ideas are explored and presented, not that there is something inherently better about medium X than medium Y.
>>
>>53090396
Being a chef is also art then. Chefs are artists
>>
>>53090433
Yeah, unfortunately I'm relegated to subtitles when watching most foreign movies, since the only language other than English I'm particular fluent in is French.
>>
>>53090458
I agree with this statement.
>>
>>53090389
What about Adaptation?

And arguably Blade Runner
>>
videodrome is sick op

im tryna get into movies in a big way
making some progress but music is so much easier to do and so rewarding
>>
>>53090458
>>53090499
I do too. Some chefs are really inventive skilled artisans that do things that many people couldn't do with food. I would consider skilled blacksmiths and woodworkers artists too. Have you seen how insane they can design some things?
>>
>>53089920
the combat really drags ico down and feels like it was just shoved in there because it's a video game
>>
>>53090448
That's fine then, all that means is you prefer literature

It doesn't mean that if someone prefers cinema they're a pleb
>>
stand-up comedy is an underrated art form
>>
>>53090532
food is my favorite art
>>
>>53090557
Of course. You could probably make the case that while food is an art it's the easiest to be appreciated. And as such, most only look at the surface since it's so accessible. Some people can pick out even the most insignificant and small flavor in foods, like someone analytically listening to music.

>tfw all wine tastes the same to me
>tfw wine pleb
>>
>>53090549
I didn't mean to imply that. I meant to say that I think it's pretty self-evident that literature contains the strongest content by and large. Obviously just my opinion. There's plenty of fantastic work in music and cinema etc etc.
>>
>>53083919
It's pretty pathetic cause it's not even an exagaration

There's better film discussion on facebook
>>
>>53090659
Really we're in agreement then

Favorite novel?
>>
>>53090748
>tfw your favorite novel is probably House of Leaves and nobody on /lit/ will ever take you seriously
>>
>>53091038
The Trial for me

I've never really spent too much time on /lit/, is it as awful as this place?
>>
I study architecture, I drawband I make sculptures in my free time. In general I like fine art. I used to be fairly into film but wouldn't describe my taste as patrician.
>>
Music > Literature > Film > Visual Art > Vidya > Performing Arts > Television

This isn't an "objective ranking," it's what I devote my time to in importance.
>>
>>53091103
/lit/ is probably the best board. Less memes, more actual discussion.
>>
>>53091038
>favorite book is a gimmick
It's even worse for you that reddit is obsessed with it. How is it actually, I've been put off by the fanbase enough to stay away so far.
>>
>>53091103
There aren't as many memes, but I never really see much discussion on literature past surface level opinions or basic discussion of literature
>>
>>53083776
Literature
Painting
Music
Rest
>>
>>53091168
I found it to be really gripping, I read it in the span of a day. If you don't enjoy the unconventional format than you likely won't enjoy the book, but if you do I think it's a rewarding read. It's very open ended, so if you like coming up with your own explanations and connections than you'd enjoy it

And to be fair, I'm not very well read. I'm getting more into it, but I have terrible time management and willpower.
>>
File: Apparition_still_Harold_Bloom.jpg (242 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
Apparition_still_Harold_Bloom.jpg
242 KB, 1500x1000
>>53091257
>I read a book in one day!!!!!!!
>that must mean it's really really good!!!!!

fuck off pleb

>>>/lit/
>>
>>53091038
My fucking nigga. I actually picked up S. today, gonna start that once I've finished the book I'm on.
>>
>>53091309
Because that's clearly what I said
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.