[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any musicians on /mu/ who don't pander into trendy/meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 8
File: soundcloud-580x326.jpg (25 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
soundcloud-580x326.jpg
25 KB, 580x326
Are there any musicians on /mu/ who don't pander into trendy/meme genres like dreampop/vaporwave? Good genres theoretically but not on /mu/.

or any who don't abuse simple but artistic music like harsh noise as an excuse for lack of ability/motivation/creativity?

The SC threads concern me.
>>
You can shit on anything if you want to.

I make folky/singer songwriter stuff, and a lot of people might call that tired, boring, hipster shit, and perhaps rightfully so. But I don't really care. I do what I want and let them do what they want. Live and let live.
>>
/mu/ is mostly a ton of emerging young adults fresh out of highschool who want to feel involved in the big scenes by circlejerking anything they think elitists listen to, it's all contrived bullshit though.
>>
yea, I just uploaded my first punk track. give me some feedback, it'd be much appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/ku-klux-klump/911-was-a-sham
>>
Look on the bandcamp thread, plenty of stuff that isn't meme
>>
I make "retro" sounding electronic with influences from more modern electronic genres like trance
https://soundcloud.com/oddfellowsrest/synthetik
Most recent thing I've released, I'd like some feedback
>>
I feel you OP.
I've been making music since I was 15 and it's just a collection of samples that I like mixed with field recordings and rhythm.
I never use presets and I feel bad for the generation that uses things like pro tools, fl studio, ableton, logic, etc.
I hate that electronic music has all of these "meme" genres now. I don't think it will ever be the same.
>>
Pisses me off too OP, my music attracts more criticism than other peoples' in soundcloud threads, because with the house/dubstep that I produce it's easy to tell if someone's not professional tier. I guess with vaporwave/badly recorded acoustic folk/instrumental hip hop it's a lot harder to go wrong
>>
>>52808653
That's the thing, electronic music as a whole on soundcloud/mu is very inorganic and unemotional.
I haven't listened to yours but let's take electronic music for example, whenever it is remotely expressive or emotional they have to give it its own genre so people can copypaste it as well, like chillwave. And with so little artist/human input into the music it's hard to tell the context of each feeling, especially since song titles all have to be funny memes with koala bear creatures in sunglasses or else it's not EDM. It kills all sense of art in it for me tbh.
>>
>>52808471
>my genre is better than your genre
>>
>>52808653
This is why I feel sorry for this generation.
Even when they think they're being original and unique they're just using boring presets.
This doesn't sound "retro" at all. Sounds like you spent 45 minutes in FL studio.
>>
>>52808761
>I like the genres but not the bullshit soundcloud produces off to shove themselves into it forcibly, just like I'm having annoyances with emo revival by a ton of high school jocks and hipsters who really have little to whine about.
>>
like 90% of all music is shit. honestly i think the ratio of good to bad in soundcloud and bandcamp threads is pretty good considering that. if you haven't found a good artist in them try listening to some more. the threads are some serious work if you're only used to listening to music based off of suggestions (nothing wrong with that) but finding the diamond in the rough is worth it every time. there is a lot of garbage though.

>>52808668
people don't respond to you because this board isn't into dubstep. there are a million other places you could go and instantly get criticism
>>
File: image.jpg (243 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
243 KB, 640x1136
I feel you, OP. But at the same time I like some of those "noise" musics. I guess I try to look for the good and appeal in everything.

The production thread freaked me out when I glanced through it. I thought folks were going to be talking about their DAW, mics and other equipment, EQ, compression, etc... But it was mostly stuff about bleeps and boops.

I do mostly rock/pop sorts of things, and I play keyboards and record for some singer-songwriters and such. And I recorded instrumentals for a production of Rocky Horror once.

soundcloud.com/Joseph-Rollins

But yeah, usually I don't really feel like I fit in to the soundcloud threads.
>>
>>52808471
I think my biggest complaint is how people can be so comfortable with showing their music when they're just so inexperienced. Like experience is a menial thing but you should have enough skill to express yourself is what I mean.

I didn't show my music for a couple years really, and I'm only now after 6 getting ready to start working on an EP, but I've written dozens and dozens of full songs.

I just don't see how people can spend 3 hours (realistically) on fruity loops and be so confident in themselves to start releasing EPs, you don't have to be a perfectionist to feel off about that.

Maybe it's because with electronic music and samples it reflects you as an artist less? When you get criticism your mind can redirect it to the samples you used? I don't know.

I just don't see how people can be so content with such low quality work. I held off posting my soundcloud to /mu/ 2 years ago for a long time because I thought there'd be super elitists here.
>>
>>52808995
I like all the genres definitely and I always find something good about the music I listen to about 95% of the time, and I tell them to help them see what I think they're doing good without sounding patronizing, I don't like criticizing despite making this post because I don't think it's totally right to say "you're doing this wrong" in music, ever, but the in general overarching stereotypical production is killing me(?)
>>
>>52808996
Fucking this.
Literally took the words from my hands.

You don't have to be a perfectionist, but seriously? There are people that release music within 2-3 days of buying fucking Fruity Loops.
I've been making music for almost 4 years now and I still don't have a bandcamp/soundcloud account, I've produced hundreds of songs, dozens of EPs, and even three albums.
My friends love the music and push me to release but I still doubt myself because I know it will only make me better in the future.
>>
>>52808996
>mfw people who spend 3 hours on a track are more popular than me
feels bad
>>
>>52808802
I meant more in terms of people pointing out flaws/shortcomings in my tracks (for which I'm very grateful), I feel like if you produce vaporwave you don't get that because bad vaporwave sounds exactly the same as good vaporwave

I think Souncloud threads are pretty great though, the people who inhabit them have helped me a lot over the past year or so
>>
>>52809149
naw you've developed in isolation long enough it's time to take the leap and see what others thing about it without caring about you as a person
>>
>>52809049
i'd much rather be told what was bad about my work than waht was good. i'm not lloking for a pat on the back, i'm looking to better myself and see what help/opinion the world might have.
>>
File: fade album.jpg (500 KB, 1000x989) Image search: [Google]
fade album.jpg
500 KB, 1000x989
https://soundcloud.com/dishmusic/fade-holly-drummond-dish-remix
>>
>>52809259
We'll see.
I'm going to make a vinyl of 100 press and send it to friends and family by the end of 2015.
If it takes off then awesome, if not then I'll probably just keep making isolated vinyl releases every couple of years and just be satisfied with that.
>>
>>52809340

i don't know you tell me :)
>>
>>52809340
after reading this thread i've come to the realisation that this is not a share your soundcloud thread;

sorry about that haha
>>
https://soundcloud.com/noisecastleiii/sets/outsider-folk

>hopelessly untrendy
>folk
>polymeters
>autistic poetry
>>
>>52809431
Not an SC thread.
Also you sound like a Phil Elvrum rip-off.
>>
Obviously the shit that requires the least skill will be popular in the soundcloud threads since most people don't have the patience to actually get good.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/sly-jones-jr
>am I pandering?
>>
I make Hip Hop that everyone says sounds like it comes out of the 90s

I see people talk about that kind of hip hop, but I rarely see it posted in these threads
>>
>>52808471
https://soundcloud.com/tryalpha

>experimenting with genres
>>
dunno i just make music, fuck genres
>>
>>52809431

ain't nobody got time for this shit
>>
As cheesy as it sounds all I fucking want is to hear music from people who want to make music.
>>
>>52809919
not in it for the money but the music is the way forward
>>
>>52808471
Yes. I get tired of posting my band's music on here though, since I don't feel like Soundcloud threads bring any proper criticism, instead being a mindless "omg good track comment mine now" circlejerk. Just look at all these faggots posting their shit ITT. It's ridiculous.

Shit music is being posted in SC threads because only autistic teenagers frequent them.
>>
>>52808789
Thanks for the feedback but I spent about 10 hours on that
>>
>>52809951
any site you'd recommend that's decent?
>>
>>52809431

>hi I'm pretending like I've never heard Phil Elverum so people will think I'm a genius
>>
>>52809972
Real life.
>>
>>52809986
damn
>>
>>52808996
Because you need feedback to improve, and talent isn't necessarily required to make good music. You'll never, ever be successful with that attitude. There are plenty of better musicians than me just sitting in their rooms practicing but guess what, I regularly play gigs and have plenty of fans because I'm not a fucking insecure moron.
>>
>>52808605
people go throught the bandcamp threads giving people bad reviews if they arent electronic trendy genres.

>sucks
>sucks
>sucks
>omgwouldbump2dis
>>
>>52808471
I think most of these artists are just making stuff they want to hear/trying to expand on a niche sound they really like. Some of them might be trying to ride off of acceptance from this website, but I think most people would understand that that's not very effective.
>>
hey, my band plays real instruments and makes real songs and shit

https://soundcloud.com/jivemcfly/paradise
>>
>>52808471
what about repetitive music

i always get complaints that my music is too repetitive but i dont hear it

goddamn house music bias
>>
>>52808996
this view is based around your insecurity, not their pompousness.
>>
>>52809984
>>hi I'm pretending like I've never heard Phil Elverum so people will think I'm a genius

lol, fuck you.

yeah I've heard about four of his songs, and I hadn't heard one when I made those songs.

>>52809471
>Also you sound like a Phil Elvrum rip-off.

NO U

I guess this is why I don't post things here, you guys are worse than Scruffy and Christgau combined
>>
>>52810068
noone cares, this isnt a soundcloud thread
>>
>>52810068
>real songs
Grow up.
>>
>>52810086
nail on the head
>>
I definitely wouldn't call my music "pandering" to anything but I guess that's not really up to me. I make folky singer songwriter stuff, and a lot of people seem to like the music I make, but being labeled as "boring" is something I constantly worry about considering that my songs are all fairly conventional. I don't deliberately try to make anything sound "lo-fi" or anything like that (my recording setup is pretty spartan but I make the best of it I think).
>>
>>52809986

this couldn't be more true. going to open mics you'll meet people both better and worse than you. no better feeling than thinking some act is great and then talking to them and finding out they feel the same about your stuff.

I live in NYC though and i guess not everyone is as lucky
>>
>>52810138
>open mic
>niggas who're so shit they can't get a gig
Then again, getting a gig in NYC must be fucking impossible. It's already pretty bad here in Berlin, with every shitty little bar having a few months of program.
>>
>>52810138
This is very true, playing around live is the best way to get people to like you, and should you end up, like, actually getting a decent number of people interested word kind of spreads on its own. Granted, I never play live because I work all the time and everyone I know that's involved in my local music scene is way more punk than me so I feel like I don't fit in and nobody ever responds to my emails.
>>
My thing with SoundCloud threads is that people seem to only be interested in giving criticism as a means of getting people to listen to their own music, which is fair but it's also unwise to expect others to respond in kind to your feedback. I realized that giving criticism to other people is a great way to improve your understanding of your own music because it makes you aware of all of the different ways something can be shitty and how to fix those shortcomings.
>>
>>52810252
> giving criticism
they don't even do that part anymore
>>
>>52810202
getting started is the hardest part. what kind of music do you play?

I started out playing house parties for friends. if someone was throwing a party i would just hijack it and play a set, then we started getting other bands and booking real venues.

open mics are always great, made a lot of friends there, many of which i still jam with.

i know a lot of people really value my music and still when i post it on 4chan it gets shitposted.

in short, there are gonna be people that love and hate your music. they already exist. the trick is to try to get your music to the people who will enjoy it (probably people like you).

4chan has all types of people and their all anonymous, so they're all willing to shit on you. It exposes you to a lot of people who dont care about your music (because they only care about geting listens on their own) and sometimes a lucky few people who actually enjoy it.
>>
>>52810194
i get gigs all the time, usually from people i meet at open mics. so this statement was really closed minded.
>>
I'm a soundtrack producer, so yeah, I guess most of my stuff's shit since my clients always want cliché bullshit.
>>
>>52809431
>>52809984
>>52810093

this asshole again

>>52809986
>Real life.

The internet used to be a real cozy place where one could meet like-minded musicians. I've collaborated with several people I've met in forums… it worked the same way as the SC thread, give a little criticism and interact with people as a courtesy, and then every once in a while meet someone you actually vibe with.

/mu/ could absolutely work like that, but it's a culture that needs to be built one post at a time. I've been in a couple SC threads where people have actually taken the time to step out from behind a link and speak a few words.
>>
>>52808471
>referring to legitimate genres as "meme"
>2012+3
>>
>>52810315
/mu/ used to work like that my friend, about five years ago at least. It's slowly changed, and around two years ago I stopped bothering. Honestly though, do look for contact to those musicians that actually interest you and try talking with them instead of just commenting and such.
>>
File: 1407577543935.jpg (27 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1407577543935.jpg
27 KB, 500x500
https://soundcloud.com/crucible-3

>Blackened Noise/Drone
>>
>>52810194
it sounds like your attitude might be a part of why you never get gigs.
>>
It's gotten to the point where I automatically ignore everything in Soundcloud/Bandcamp threads tagged as ambient, drone, harsh noise, shoegaze, dream pop etc. because it's always bland, soulless shit.
>>
>>52810373
fuck off
>>
>>52810388
It sounds like you're a condescending asshole.
>>
>>52810373
I don't care about your song but that artwork is really cool.
>>
I haven't been on /mu/ for a while.
How's the electro community?
is it still only pretentious noise or trap' mixes?
>>
>>52808520
>>52808520

Pretty much this. I make music because I enjoy making music, I don't care about the scene or genre it's a part of.
>>
>>52810422
>>niggas who're so shit they can't get a gig
a post like that is much more condescending, while the one you responded to was actually intended to try to help the guy get more gigs.
>>
>>52808653
I didn't like how the kick sounded.
I feel like it should be a bit harsher, like an electro kick. (but that could just be my bias)
I really liked the synthwork though
>>
>>52810469
as long as it's genuine and not artsy fag pandering, it's fine.
though the line between the two is quite narrow.
>>
>>52810399
Same for me. I try to give everything a chance but it's almost always usual made by the biggest pricks who think they're everything.

Also, people who just go "rec", and list a wall of quoted posts. It's so fucking shallow. 90% of the time they don't even genuinely care about what they're reccing, it's just people they know or are friends with that'll rec back and help support them. The threads are such a cesspool of talentless idiots for the most part.

There are very talented people in them as well, and it's sad to watch them be drowned out by garbage.
>>
>>52810399
>It's gotten to the point where I automatically ignore everything in Soundcloud/Bandcamp threads
should've left it at that
>>
>>52808471
I make hiphop music so I feel like this thread is a direct steamy shat onto the type of music I make. haha
>>
>>52810438

what electro community?

lul
>>
>>52808996
>I didn't show my music for a couple years really, and I'm only now after 6 getting ready to start working on an EP, but I've written dozens and dozens of full songs
I've felt the same for awhile, but you're never going to grow as an artist with this view.

if you go into SC threads looking for feedback, I think you'd be doing it right. I thought that's what they were made for anyway.
>>
>>52810595
>if you go into SC threads looking for feedback, I think you'd be doing it right. I thought that's what they were made for anyway.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
>>
>>52808789
le wrong generation amirite ;)
>>
>>52810641
And this kind of ironic fucking garbage is just as bad.

This whole board is filled with some of the stupidest, most immature people alive.
>>
lmao at people saying there's nothing wrong with making a soundcloud after day 1 of producing for feedback.
Have you guys ever visited the soundcloud generals? everybody's dumping links like crazy and the most feedback you get is "hurr nice".
Seriously upload your shit to clyp if you want feedback
>>
>>52808789
what's the point of a comment like this? to hurt his feelings? you think your opinion matters that much?

but fuck that guy he should have just posted in the real soundcloud thread like the rest of us.

THIS IS A SOUNDCLOUD DISCUSSION THREAD.
>>
>>52810516
>>52810516
>>52810516

It comes down to self criticism, I think. To be able to seriously evaluate something you've made and ask yourself if you are happy with it.

I've only been playing guitar for about a year, and I enjoy writing songs, but I know at this point they're pretty much shit, and even if they aren't I'm such an amueteur it would basically be an accident if I made good music.

18 y/o as of last week, did I start too late?
>>
>>52808996
I think its more about just getting feedback so you can improve. I have to force myself to put stuff out not because I think its good or the best but because I spent so much time on it, have expressed myself, and know that I will never improve if all do is play the tracks for myself. It's the very reason I dont tell anyone that knows me in real life about my music...on the internet you will often times get brutal honest constructive feedback from total strangers. Now, I try to be active in the sundcloud threads and listen to other people's music and give feedback. I know its not common but the attitude that you have just doesnt seem right. I'm sure people are making music just for themselves and the love of creating, and the only reason they post in those threads is to get the feedback they need to improve their skills to better allow them to achieve their vision.
>>
>>52810712

it's never too late to start making music.

it sounds like you don't want to show anyone so don't. just make it for the hell of it, and maybe someone will hear it and like it one day and give you the courage to show it to more people.
>>
>>52810712
nah. I've started producing at 17 and now I'm getting paid for doing it.
it's never too late.
>>
>>52810677
k bud
I get not liking "meme" genres or whatever, but if people enjoy making it and people are receptive to it, I'm not sure how that harms you any way. Soundcloud and /mu/ are what you make of it, if you don't want the shit, avoid it
>>
>>52808996
For me to start releasing myself I had to relate it to my favorite sport basketball. I could do dribbling and shooting drills all day by myself for years, but I never really got better until I got enough courage to play against other people, and receive feedback on what I was doing wrong, and what I was doing right. So, I think its more about the chance to improve then "Yo, I'm the best, check out my music so I can get discovered" or some bs like that
>>
>>52810119
>real song

haha i was at a party playing one of my songs, and when i finished this girl was like "what band wrote that song" so i told her it was me and she responds

"oh wow, it sounds like a real song!"

...yeah bitch. it does.
>>
>>52808574
0/10 would not bang. Bad production but I'm not judging you for that. Lyrics and the music are not very well. I assume you listen to shitty (80's) punk. Listen to the originals (Richard Hell, Ramones, Iggy & The Stooges, etc.), write better lyrics, and improve your skill.
>>
>>52810830
this is not constructive criticism. this is just shitting on a style of music you don't like.
>>
>>52810856
welcome to /mu/'s soundcloud threads

you will learn very quickly people just post in here to stroke their egos, very few people actually want to contribute to making the threads good
>>
Yeah I make FLstudiocore amateur electro pop

http://soundcloud.com/astar-szeran
>>
>>52810856
this isn't a sc thread.
fuck off.
>>
>>52810903
why are people this stupid?
>>
>>52810903
go away
>>
>>52810768
>it sounds like you don't want to show anyone so don't.

It's not that, I just don't feel that it's good enough to show anyone yet. I'd love to put together an album and pass it around, but I don't want to embarrass myself forever/annoy other people.

>>52810770
Cool. I've been having trouble catching up to my friends who have been playing music since they were kids, and stupid as it is it's been pretty discouraging.

Mostly just impatient, honestly. I want to get good.

Thanks for the advice m8s
>>
>>52810905
youre right, its a thread to discuss the state of the current 4chan soundcloud threads. that's what i was doing in that post.

so you fuck off.
>>
>Are there any musicians on /mu/ who don't pander into trendy/meme genres like dreampop/vaporwave? Good genres theoretically but not on /mu/.

yeah, but they're very few as they either don't post or are hard to find because you have to dig through all the shit to find them, which most people understandably might not try to do.
>>
>>52810830
>>52810889
>>52810856

Guys, I'm like 99% sure that post was a joke.
>>
>>52808471
I post my link in the soundcloud thread alot. I sometimes get feedback, but I really like listening to other people stuff in hopes of collaborating
>>
>>52810970
yeah well my first album was really bad. and i promoted the shit out of it. always regretted it but showing it to people really did make me want to improve. so in a way the embarrassment forces you to get better. but it's not for everyone. make the music you want to hear. that's what it's all about. if you do it sincerely even shitty music will get you chicks, which is better than most people on 4chan can do. LOL
>>
The problem is that musicians are generally gentle, slow witted and open-minded folk, while critics are harsh, quick witted, and close-minded.

That's why there will be no community here, the two rub against each other badly.
>>
>>52810202
I make folky singer songwriter pop music. I've been doing it for a pretty long time (almost 10 years oh my god) and used to play openmics and stuff a lot but kind of stopped because other parts of my life got kind of stressful and I wanted to work more on recording stuff.
>>
>>52810795
Excuse me? What the fuck are you talking about? I never ONCE said people shouldn't post what they make.

I was calling you childish, a point you just completely validated and proved by using the infamous word of human parrots too fucking stupid to think, "meme" and completely misunderstanding what I was even replying to you about.

Holy fuck you're stupid.
>>
>>52808471
i make all kinds of shit that isnt at kinds of shit, and i post in the soundcloud threads. nobody listens to it because you're not there. :{

you're all here being dingus's
>>
>>52811028
>I really like listening to other people stuff in hopes of collaborating
does that ever happen?
I tried doing that, but everyone was just stuck up their own ass.
>>
>>52811030
> if you do it sincerely even shitty music will get you chicks

making sincere shitty music and getting laid sounds like an excellent way to live, i'm going for it
>>
>>52811042
actually a very good explanation
>>
>>52811087

if you do it long enough and keep improving, it stops being shitty and starts just being sincere music, which people respond to.
>>
>>52811042
that is incorrect.
most musicians are pretentious circle jerking assholes.
>>
Jesus christ there is a ton of negativity in this thread
I know for a fact none of us are successful, so clearly some of you are just angry
>>
>>52811137
nah. I'm doing pretty good.
/mu/'s just shitty.
>>
>>52811137
i'm successful at what i'm trying to do, even if 4chan tries to tell me that i'm not.
>>
>>52811137
>none of us are successful

>implying successful artists don't frequent /mu/
lol
>>
>>52811137
yeah, you guys SUCK.
-best chilltrapwavephonics artist ever
>>
File: Baphomet.jpg (143 KB, 670x904) Image search: [Google]
Baphomet.jpg
143 KB, 670x904
>>52808471
Nobody tries to make Seapunk or Footstep because that requires work
>>
>>52811131

this is basically what i'm hoping happens.. eventually..
>>
>>52811345
the fuck's that
>>
>>52811137
I perform monthly and get paid for it

I'd say I'm pretty successful, I'm 2 years ahead of my 5 year plan so I'm happy with where I am at.
>>
synthwave, chillwave, trap, cloudtrap, chilltrap, vaporwave, trapwave, vaportrap, bubblegum bass, dreampop, dreamtrap, vaporpop, chilltrap, hypnagogic pop, hypnatrap, post trap, post vaporwave, synth trap and deep house

these are the only worthwhile genres to check out on sc
>>
>>52811360
speaking from experience, it does.

i'm not a professional musician, just a college kid who writes and performs music because i enjoy it.

i've made countless friends, learned a LOT. Had a lot of fun. I've released 2 EP's and 2 Albums, as well as collaborations with a bunch of other performers of all genres.

I think i started playing guitar (badly) at age 18.
23 now, play guitar proficiently, piano, accordion, harmonica, pretty good at percussion. and all because i didnt let the negative fuckers, and there were many, bring me down.
>>
>>52811137
speak for yourself, bro
>>
>>52811386
Same here.. I perform more than once a month on average and get paid for every show. The key to me at this point is trying to branch out of my hometown
>>
>>52811476
thanks for the encouragement man. link to your music? i'm just curious, i'm not going to use it to measure the quality of your advice lol
>>
>>52808996
i genuinely like what i make, despite it maybe being amateur

if others don't agree that's their loss
>>
You guys could benefit from some optimism. Who gives a flying fuck if you're making shitty FL studio dubstep or western-gospel-techno-rape-core. All things considered, if you enjoy making your music, keep going and improve. If you don't enjoy it and just want fame, money, or to hop on some bandwagon, you can fuck right off.

What I'm trying to say is: some people actually do put their hearts and souls into the music they post on here, and there is a really solid community on Soundcloud from /mu/. It's a good thing.
>>
>>52811704
>and there is a really solid community on Soundcloud from /mu/
is posting your link with a "feedback pls" considered community?
>>
>>52811076
I've done a few collabs via SoundCloud that turned out pretty well but I have also heard a lot that are not very good.

Here are the collabs I've done with people-
https://soundcloud.com/duskingmusic/dusking-benjamine-poole
>kinda glitchy electronic pop music, Dusking is an incredible producer but seems to have stopped making music. Which is a shame because we were trying to work on more stuff together.

http://soundcloud.com/wave-of-colors/willow-flats-feat-benjamin
>chillwave

My friend and i also run a cassette label together and a lot of the artists we work with were found through Bandcamp and Soundcloud threads. So collaboration isnt impossible you just gotta be judicious about who you work with.
>>
File: IMG_0051.jpg (2 MB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0051.jpg
2 MB, 1936x1936
https://soundcloud.com/tralesandsno/hot-hot-sand

>not dat shit
>no anal nectar to be seen
>listen for power to allah
>>
>>52811704
Could benefit from some optimism? I'm sorry, I should just be more optimistic about every single fucking thread being filled with people shitting out the most unpolished, amateur and boring tracks to ever grace the internet.

People who actually put effort into their music get drowned out. It's ridiculous. I've been browsing and posting in SC threads for years and years, a bunch of amateurs making worthless music and posting links to it when people are trying to improve on music that hasn't been made 100,000 times get drowned out.
>>
>>52811761
I mean on the Cloud itself bro, although I sympathize with your exaggeration of the state of /mu/'s SC threads

captcha: hoink
>>
>>52811844
No, I totally agree with you man, there is some real talent in the threads, I've personally found some artists that stick with me to this day and I listen to them all the time, but you're right, there are tons of people who are unabashedly promoting absolute shit. Why? I don't know. But they won't end up like the talented /mu/sicians if they don't keep at it, which a lot don't.
>>
>>52811816
>>52811822
not a fucking soundcloud general
advertising is against the rules
>>
you guys are giving me an inferiority complex about my shitty music

i just want to share what i enjoy with other people, since when is there a standard?
>>
>>52811980
>I want to drown in shit, leave me alone!
>>
>>52811980
Just listen to every other knucklehead making the same kind of stuff you do, then analyse your music closely, and then analyse ambient/noise/whatever artists you genuinely respect and are inspired by and figure out what everyone else (and you) is either missing or has going on to make their music worthwhile.
>>
>>52808471
fucking this. I recorded me pig squealing for 4 seconds and put it on audacity and used paulstretch. Took me 30 seconds to make, no effort at all, and it was my most popular track on my old soundcloud.
>>
>>52811928
Did you even read my post dude? Or did you just see links and decide to be an asshole about it? Someone was asking about collaboration opportunity in SC threads so I responded accordingly and at length. The links were included as examples of said opportunities. You don't have to listen.

What is the point of this thread even? Are we just griping about how shitty SC threads are because that's not very productive.
>>
Does anybody know a better place to promote your band other than 4chan?
>>
>>52812410
advertising is against the rules
>Are we just griping about how shitty SC threads are
fucking precisely
>>
>>52812025
if i could enjoy shit i see no problem with that

>>52812170
??? you are not getting it you are objectively trying to make music, i don't work that way, that way of working feels empty to me. i enjoy what i make and sharing what i enjoy even if 99.999% of the general populace doesn't give a shit or thinks its horrible

guess that makes me a horrible person
>>
>>52812449
>the rules
Ha.
>>
>>52812482
It doesn't, but criticism is more important than you will ever know. It's great if you have that mindset and you're good, but if you're one of about a million and you want to make music as a real life thing then you need to be better and work harder. Part of that involves figuring out how to make your music better.

I'm not telling you to copy other people but you really really REALLY need a solid grasp on what actually makes a song engaging. Like, what aspect of the production makes this single part have the impact it does.
>>
File: 1414870376065s.jpg (6 KB, 186x250) Image search: [Google]
1414870376065s.jpg
6 KB, 186x250
>>52808471
https://soundcloud.com/the-always
give me some honest feedback OP
you're just what i'm looking for
>>
>>52808662
>>52808668
>>52808733
>>52808789
>>52809149
>>52809165
>>52809628
>>52809896
>>52809951
>>52810086
>>52810098
>>52810119
>>52810407
>>52810433
>>52810529
>>52810559
>>52810631
>>52810641
>>52810905
>>52810945
>>52810959

couldn't link all of them, but it seems like these guys made a whole thread to complain about another thread that they don't even care for.

you're dedicating your time to a thread to whine and bitch.

I agree with a lot of the points people are making because its true and it inhibits people that are actually looking for real feedback.

But that's my opinion and struggle, not a point to bitch about with my fellow whiners.
>>
>>52810728
>>52810026
>>52810252

I'm not saying very specifically to you quoted since I totally get what you're saying but to these and people saying it's just a circlejerk of compliments so people say they're good, and how we need criticism, how does someone criticizing you make you good?
Like that works in sports, it works in plenty of things.

But like, it's art.
Unless you're trying VERY hard to go for a very specific formula in music, no one else can 'help you' on that.
That's why I don't like feedback, people say my voice needs work, bitch maybe I wouldn't feel like i'm truly expressing myself if I sung classically and correctly. Maybe I want to ruin my vocal cords for the sake of expression.
I just don't see how anything but positive feedback in art can do anything.

You see the good in their work so they're motivated to continue, or you just shit on it no matter how 'constructively' and devalue their very personal artistic decisions.

The only criticism I like is on the mix itself, because that's something that can be set to a (dynamic ofc) formula.

But criticizing the art itself just leads to more formulaic EDM where you NEED the drop at measure 64, you need to always do 16 bars of buildup here, then you should always arpeggiate over the post-drop blah fuckin blah.

What happened to it being art lmao.
>>
>>52808471

Pretty simplistic style, relaxed electronic music for anyone interested. Lot's of feels as I wrote it.

Interestingly enough as someone who makes music in a large variety of genres I can say the less emotion I put into an electronic tune the more likes it gets by people I show it to. But that's just me and I reckon it does vary.

Anyway i'll be checking out other music in this thread in the hopes for some cool stuff.
>>
File: 1418233375684.jpg (695 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1418233375684.jpg
695 KB, 1920x1080
>>52813747

somehow forgot link -_-

https://soundcloud.com/orial/searching-for-isla
>>
>>52813747
you're probably better at catering by the formula than expressing yourself through music for now
my electronic music started doing very well after i started putting emotion in my music and my friends say the same thing about their own music
>>
>>52813879

I see, you got anything I can check out?

Thanks for the feedback!
>>
>>52808471
Uh, dream pop is an established genre and it's like 30 years old at this point.

Have you ever heard of the Cocteau Twins you fucking pleb.
>>
Soundcloud.com/mailordersushi/rotting

lo-fi indie stuff with keyboards from goodwill
>>
>>52812950
i dont want to make top 40 music

i just want to make music i enjoy, i don't have to pursue this for a living i'm in university, this is just fun
>>
>>52810081
>house bias
that shit mane
>make house track
>somewhat good, can groove to it
>play it at the club
>people like it, but they're hammered
>play it to my friends
>sit there awkwardly for 7 minutes
>"h-heh it d-does drone on a b-bit long right hah?"
>"It's a work in progress, really!"
>>
>>52814668
>>"h-heh it d-does drone on a b-bit long right hah?"
>>"It's a work in progress, really!"
oh man, literally this every freaking time

maybe i should just cut all my tracks down by 50% and see the responses
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.