[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did you become a music person? Did you just stumble upon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8
File: 2 (1).jpg (2 MB, 2784x1856) Image search: [Google]
2 (1).jpg
2 MB, 2784x1856
How did you become a music person? Did you just stumble upon good shit, did you have a cool older sibling who owned good music and gave you their shirts to wear, did you just know that cool indie metal hippy kid at your highschool/college, do you work with indie jesus, what happened to you?

pic not really related
>>
had a cool teacher in high school that would end the last friday lessons by playing us random music
>>
>>52664743
i started skateboarding, then watched skate videos and playing THPS2 on playstation with my cousin.

Thats where i got interested in music. I always sucked at skating, but now im working in music.

My friends older brothers showed us alot of rap too.
>>
I guess I was always sensible to music. As a Child it was always my favorite part of the movies and cartoons.

I really got into full nerd mode when I hit 12 and Discover punk rock and pop-punk and started playing instruments.

then got more and more curious throughout my teens, listening to metal, then extreme metal, then more proggy stuff wich lead me to listen to more relax ''indie'' stuff.

now im all over the place, im a real music-nerd I like so much different styles now.
>>
>>52664743
The first Guitar Hero. It got me into listening to Ozzy Osbourne. Before that, I didn't really listen to much music unless I was in the car with my parents.

I didn't _really_ didn't get into music until I started going to /mu/ around 5-6 years ago.
>>
>>52664864

This is sort of how it went for me, before guitar hero I was an anime fag who just listened to whatever was in amv's, then when I got into guitar hero I'd look up my favorite songs on youtube and then check out the related videos. That lead me to finding amon amarth, wintersun, and a bunch of melodeath and folk metal bands. Then I met this skater skin at my highschool who showed me satanic warmaster and early black sabbath and that got me into black metal and doom which lead to folk and new age and rap and everything else.
>>
>>52664743
Whenever I found a band (through the radio or Youtube, usually) with more than 5 songs I liked, I'd listen to them all the time for a short period. Eventually I found Interpol and liked every single one of their songs (demos, eps, all the albums) and obsessed over them. By then I was familiar with the concept of listening to the album for the full experience of it (Dark Side of the Moon was responsible for that, it blew me away how well it all fited)
>>
File: Madden2004box.jpg (40 KB, 256x324) Image search: [Google]
Madden2004box.jpg
40 KB, 256x324
>>
shitty metal > shitty screamo/metalcore > dance gavin dance/a lot like birds > slightly experimental rock/redditcore/tumblrcore > pitchforkcore > /mu/core > present day

DGD/ALLB is what got me interested in more experimental music. Still like them. Don't listen to anything below /mu/core anymore, though.
>>
>>52665038
>Don't listen to anything below /mu/core

sheesh, a lot of /mu/core is not an inkling better than DGD and the like, no matter what people here will tell you
>>
>>52664801
yo THPS2 had a very cool soundtrack for child me.
>>
Me and my dad went to an Iron Maiden concert and I became a massive fan of Iron Maiden.

From there I started collecting all their albums and other albums like Megadeth and Primus.

Then I found /mu/ and that's when I really branched out and found out about many new bands and genres.

I still like bands I used to listen to (despite the fact that /mu/ says they are shit) even if I don't listen to them as often.
>>
I picked up a guitar at the age of 10 to learn how to play like Alex Lifeson from Rush. Soon enough I learned just how fun it was to make noise with an instrument. Now I'm into the Nihilist Spasm Band and Fushitsusha.

Listening to some KPN right now by the way OP. Great band. Famine seems like a cool guy when he's not going overboard with the edginess.
>>
>>52665140

Fuck yeah he is, I just got their split with diapsiqour in the mail about a week ago, they're my favorite band recently
>>
>>52664864
>>52664935
This all the way. I listened to classic rock exclusively before that, because that's the only radio station my parents listened to in the car. But then I started playing Guitar Hero 3 and discovered Knights of Cydonia in the 7th grade. All through 8th grade I listened almost exclusively to Muse and then started playing guitar and such and it flourished from there.
>>
>>52665168
I'd like to support KPN but I have a fear that the moment I order one of their albums they'll start identifying as post-ironic nazis and a group of antifascists will show up at my door to hurt me
>>
>>52665091
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.
I do still listen to /mu/core. I really was just trying to say that I don't really listen to pitchfork/tumblr/reddit/whatevercore anymore.
I have no problem with /mu/core personally. Don't understand why everyone feels the need to discredit a list of albums that are universally acclaimed as some of the best.
>>
>>52664820
Anthony, is that you?
>>
>>52665307

Tbh I was like this too but it got to the point where I stopped caring too much what theri beliefs are, I'm not even white but I've bought some ns from some ns labels, we're all just in it for the music, I don't think $3 for a m8lh8th cassette is going to pay for the tank that's going to trample over my beloved burito joint in america. I won't tell you "support the music and the scene cunt!" but if you want something just get it, if you're happy with mp3s that's fine too
>>
>>52665091
/mu/core is just a term used to categorize music popular on /mu/...nothing wrong with that.
Also DGD kick ass
>>
>>52665408
I'm cool with whatever the band wants to do. I'm just afraid of antifascists.
>>
listened to pop-punk that was popular at the time because the other kids in my class liked it (blink 182, green day, good charlotte, simple plan, etc.). then from middle school onward I just found music on the internet and naturally progressed into what I like now. honestly it wasn't until recently I started hanging around people with similar music interests. I usually just found out about things by myself
>>
I wasn't really that into music up until 2 and something years ago and thought that Muse were the logical conclusion to all of music.
A friend on Facebook posted something by Massive Attack, I think it was Dissolved Girl, and... mind-blowing is an understatement.

So it went from trip hop -> downtempo -> ambient -> IDM + alt rock + synthpop -> /mu/core-ish (wasn't on mew at this point, I swear) -> back to ambient and IDM + techno
>>
>>52664743
back at middle school, my uncle introduced me the AFX, AE, and BOC
>>
>>52665529

I can understand, though I think kpn is in the same catigory as burzum as far as all that goes, so I don't think liberal pitchfork fags will be fucking with you if they see you wearing a shirt or something. Have you ever had problems or knew someone who had problems with antifacist in the past?
>>
Honestly I used music to drown out the voices in my head. before too long the same alternative rock songs got boring and wanted to find stuff that sounded good to my earballs.

you know that moment in a song that releases endorphin and sends a chill down your back?

I got really addicted to that feeling, but whenever I found a song that did that to me, i'd play it like 3-4 more times and it'd be gone. so i'd move on to another band in the another genre.
>>
Thanks to my father
>>
satan trips
>>
i was always fairly into music my entire childhood ill say probably 7 - 13 growing up with my entire family that were very musically based my grandfather is a music teachern my grandmothers in a band my fathers na music nerd and my moms an oldschool stoner who listens to lots of floyd which was my first real intrest in musics my age progressed 13 - 15 i was very influenced by all my friends especially once i started smoking my friends all had different musical tastes and i enjoyed them all i really loved rap and math rock and grunge those were and still are my favorite genres however with rap im more into independent based artists

im really just into whatever sounds a litle off or is clever musically
>>
Fell in love with Aphex Twin and IDM back when Drukqs was new. Got more open-minded towards music in general after that.
>>
>>52665637

I was like this and still am, beofre I could bare full lengths I basically found all the sadder or melancolic songs by a band and I'd listen to those before it wore off. Depressing stuff was romantic to me and I was always into that sort of thing. The sadder songs by a band are still the ones that speak to me the most but I get a similar feeling from the higher energy songs too or the really grindy/noisy songs, but in a different way. When I heard melt banana, immolation, and deeds of flesh the first time I started moshing in my head and it was a great feeling, then listening to ska and psychobilly gives me this feeling like I want to dance, they've become my pickup genres
>>
File: gorillaz_stylo_figurama.jpg (190 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
gorillaz_stylo_figurama.jpg
190 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>52664743
is that Rick from Pawn Stars?
>>
>>52664801
>i started skateboarding, then watched skate videos and playing THPS2 on playstation with my cousin.

are you me anon?
>>
File: rick from pawnstars.jpg (428 KB, 2048x1574) Image search: [Google]
rick from pawnstars.jpg
428 KB, 2048x1574
>>52666043

He uses they money from his store in vegas to support Slavic pagan nationalist bands and organizations

>>52664801

Shawny .L?
>>
>>52664743
My older brother showed me a whole of stuff and often played stuff on the family stereo. I only really got into music much more heavily like a year ago. Before then I just listened to whatever my brother recommended me. As a kid I just kinda liked anything that wasn't on the radio generally.
>>
I grew up watching MTV back when they played music videos
>>
My older cousin gave me heaps of music when I didn't have internet that he got from my uncle who is a pretty cool guy except he has schizophrenia now so I don't do psychedelics any more
>>
I was always interested in music. When I was very young, my mother had trouble finding/affording someone to watch me, so I spent a great deal of my earliest years in my mom's car running errands with her, listening to her Beatles and Elton John cd's.
>>
>>52666043
No, it's Thom Yorke in his rude boy phase
>>
Used go love RHCP. Try to listen JF solo stuff and finds Curtains great. Serch for more and listen to Niandra LaDes. My head fucking blows and search for more.
Get into David Bowie and Lou Reed later.
These days were great, btw
>>
Found stuff like NMH and AnCo from friends, then from the internet of looking this shit up I found fandingo, then I developed my own opinions

Now I am the vaguely hipster or grunge looking indie metal faggot in my social groups.
>>
>>52664743
I listened to MDTF. Realized music has more to offer than just Warped tour shit. Came here and lurked for recs. Tried listening to a chart that had "/mu/ approved artists" or something like that. It was waaaaaay more than just /mu/core and sub/mu/core.
Got bored with that. Continued lurking and occasionally asked for recs in request threads and now still do that but try and add to some discussion if I can.

That was about 3-4 years ago. /mu/ is one of my main boards. It just depends on what my current interests are at the time
>>
File: 1412042576178.jpg (9 KB, 499x576) Image search: [Google]
1412042576178.jpg
9 KB, 499x576
I can honestly say that I myself am responsible for my music taste,the internet was super useful in this way.Usually the process would be i look up a shitty band I like on Wikipedia and then listen to stuff THEY were influenced by,repeat until better music is found.I essentially turned myself away from plebness because of the immense amount of music there was,"ooo no wave,what`s that?" "huh avant garde jazz" blah blah blah.
My friends have good taste and tend to dig stuff I show them, some stuff really sticks.

Playing (starting at various points) 4 different instruments since 11 helped, too.
>>
I honestly just talked to people online and they introduced me to stuff. I often heard a lot of praise for Pink Floyd as a kid so I discovered prog rock very early.

A few guys on Newgrounds showed me 4chan through MSN chat and a few on NG also showed me Swans, Throbbing Gristle and Devo back when I was about 14.

I eventually visited /mu/ and relied a lot on /mu/core back in 2009 but also I kept visiting the share threads which were more frequent than they are now and people were often dumping a bunch of artists I haven't seen mentioned on /mu/ ever since.

I used to read magazines like Q, NME, typical britbong entry-level stuff which I probably wouldn't read much nowadays, but those magazines showed stuff like Grizzly Bear and Autechre.

I think /mu/ was a big help though. Thanks to browsing various threads on /mu/, I opened myself up to black metal, noise, glitch, folk music, krautrock, etc. I met a few people on the Flash Flash Revolution website that introduced me to breakcore which I've been fond of ever since.

My little brother seems to be fascinated by anything I talk about when it comes to music and he seems to borrow a lot of my albums from me too which is really flattering because it gives me someone to talk to about music I love in person rather than just online.
>>
i kept wondering why i was better than everyone else and then i found /mu/
>>
I always liked music in high school, but as a freshman in college, my dorm got mtvU. I would just put that on in the background and through that I learned about good music that wasn't top 40 or classic popular shit. From there I started looking for stuff myself. This would of been fall of 2010, so like when Eyelid Movies came out.
>>
maybe it's just the /mu/ demographic but why does it seem that everyone here initially gets into music sometime between their childhood and their early 20's
>>
>>52667796
I think that's when people start to appreciate "art" more. They realize shit can have more meaning than just face value. That's just what I went through at least.

I mean childhood to 20s is when someone does a lot of growing up in general too
>>
File: 1337208507705.png (167 KB, 600x729) Image search: [Google]
1337208507705.png
167 KB, 600x729
>>52664743
I used to play a lot of hardcore and retro games back early in high school (2011). I was and still am extremely disappointed in the direction that the video game industry was going in, coupled with the fact that every single person who was into video games was either a casual or autistic as fuck. At this point I decided that I needed a new hobby so I started getting into music. A bit later I got into synthesizers and making making my own music.
>>
Runescpe music videos...
>>
>>52667796
I feel like towards 20 your ambitions in life change from exploration to settling or trying to get by with the conditions around you, you aren't quite as in the mood to go exploring around the net for music every night like you were in your teens and now you just want to relax or go out and relax with friends
>>
>>52664743
My high school music teacher would make us listen to experimental music like Stockhausen helicopter quartet, Wild woman with steak knives, some of John Cage's work and theory.
>>
>>52668481
For real? My high school teacher thought Bob Dylan was the best guitarist.
>>
>>52664743
Probably because internet
>>
>>52667796
because thats when yo uhave time to fuck around the most. in my 20's and beyond ive had ever increasing responsibility that get in the way of doing shit that i like.
im still posting here though, because being an adult is lame
>>
>>52669060
Yeah, he's also the one who got me into King Crimson. I used to hang out in the class to jam on the drum set and maybe jam with his son
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.