[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So has anyone here actually tried to become an established music act?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 4
File: ableton.jpg (13 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
ableton.jpg
13 KB, 259x194
Why aren't you creating an image, and promoting the shit out of yourself and material? Why does your music suck? Why aren't you making connections? Harsh noise isn't marketable. (^:
>>
>>52366701
maybe once i learn how to come up with some interesting chord progressions i will anon. why do you assume so much? also please use that smiley the correct way round (ie :^)) its only proper netiquette.
>>
>>52366701
i have / am
>>
https://soundcloud.com/danielcoma
https://danielcoma.bandcamp.com
>>
>>52366771
how long did/is it taking you?
>>
>>52366771
What were the first steeps you took to get on the road to being established?
>>
>>52366701
already there.

Moved to a different city, thrown my own parties/shows. Play out very often.

Now i'm opening for my favorite group of all time on Monday
>>
Has anyone on /mu/ ever ended up on pitchfork?
>>
>>52366868
>Has anyone on /mu/ ever ended up on pitchfork?

I produced this

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/14592-we-get-by/

and helped write this

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/16272-liz-stop-me-cold/
>>
>>52366868
implying everybody here is into indie rock
>>
Because I actually like to make music
>>
>>52366868
thankfully no

I'm not trying to get famous, just write some damn good music
>>
>Why aren't you creating an image, and promoting the shit out of yourself and material?
Because it's far more satisfying to perfect your craft and make good music that no one else will hear.
>>
>>52366979
i got a fortune cookie for festivus and it says
"The respect of influential people will soon be yours."

are you an influential person?
>>
>>52368308
>are you an influential person?

definitely under the influence of something
>>
>>52366701
I have had over 250 million views on 100+ videos and trailers with my music on them on the youtubes. However, I don't really consider myself an established musical act.
>>
>>52366701
Because selling yourself seems forced and makes me cringe.
And i don't care about becoming rich and famous.
>>
i just want to create multiple personas for myself and release all sorts of music on cdr and cassette and online but i have skills so i'm just practicing for now, there's no tutorials for experimental electronic music
>>
File: 1362765341445.png (46 KB, 608x611) Image search: [Google]
1362765341445.png
46 KB, 608x611
>>52369553
i don't have skills*
all i have is fl studio and some plugins
>>
>>52369553
maybe you should experiment with electronics
>>
>>52369585
>>52369553
I'd suggest using what you have, this includes your shitty mic you use for skype.
Everything gets a lot more fun and interesting once you stop thinkin you 'need' something to make what you wanna make. Especially for experimental music.
>>
>>52369480
who are you
>>
>>52369642
>>52369605
thx fellas
>>
>>52369642
>if it sucks just call it experiential, it'll be OK then
>>
>>52366701
>Why aren't you creating an image,
I am.
>and promoting the shit out of yourself and material?
Not a big fan of self promotion. I'd rather epople just stumble upon it and discover a hidden gem.
>Why does your music suck?
I think it's pretty good, and really that's the only thing that matters.
>Why aren't you making connections?
I am.
>Harsh noise isn't marketable. (^:
I know.
>>
>>52369886
How did you get that from that text?
>>
>>52369928
From it's implications
>>
>>52369955
Like what?
Using a shitty mic? Do you hate lo-fi or something?
>>
>>52367281
Have you published anything?

Anyway I have those feels too, I just want to make music that I myself am satisfied with.
>>
>>52369984
shitty mic =/= lo-fi
>>
>>52369992
Pretty sure you got that one wrong. Nice try though.
>>
>>52370012
OK then it should be
>if I can't afford decent equipment just call it lo-fi, it'll be OK
>>
>>52369990
I have had a score published...

it got a couple of performances, with pretty good acclaim.
was also on the front page of a couple of newspapers here, one for getting a piece recorded with the national orchestra, another for writing a ballet for a friend who passed away.
>>
>>52370051
>another for writing a ballet
wow what a faggit lmao
>>
>>52370047
>if you make something, call it what it is and it'll be OK
Yes, why wouldn't it be ok?
>>
>>52370051
Any proof, link to an article, soundcloud?
>>
>>52370073
>lack of motivation is OK
Sure if you say so.
>>
>>52370051
Bro i want to get into classical hard, got any tips?
Do they absolutely need scores or can you get a chance without any particularly good theoretical knowledge?
>>
>>52370090
Word, i hate the mountain goats too.
I also despise elverum, what they are doing is NOT ok
>>
>>52370115

classical musicians can't improvise so i don't know how you would convey your music across to them without notating it
>>
>>52370131
What mics does Phil use?
>>
>>52370068
the girl was a ballet dancer and it was her wish for me to write a ballet, so I tried to write the most beautiful piece I could, based on her life (and death).

>>52370079
soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/psllbof
There are articles. this was front page:
http://www.odt.co.nz/your-town/dunedin/110917/death-metal-and-symphonies
~4 years ago now

>>52370115
best advice: go to university. you will learn a shit ton about music, and meet lots of like minded composers and great performers who are keen to play new music. you make connections for life, and learn all the tricks of the trade. without going to university I would never have been able to write a real score for a real orchestra, which was one of my breakthrough moments when my friends and family were like "oh shit, he's a composer now"
>>
>>52370210
I mean, i know where the notes go, but i have no fucking idea about tempo and shit.
But surely practicing the piece is the last stage of getting there?
I could always make a midi version or something, or sing it to them/get someone to help.
>>
>>52370233
No idea. But back in the day, pretty shitty ones afaik.
Mountain goats used a fucking boombox mic
>>
>>52370210
>classical musicians can't improvise
thats a common misconception, many are versed in band improv or jazz improv styles.
every musician's different, and you'd be surprised how multi-faceted many classical musicians are these days.

you can always notate out improvisation...
[improvise in G dorian until given signal from the conductor]
its quite common in aleatoric and indeterminate music.
>>
>>52370267
To study what? Just music? Aren't there entrance exams and shit?
>>
>>52370284
>afaik.
You just said no idea.
>Mountain goats used a fucking boombox mic
Oh because they couldn't afford anything else? Because he was lazy?
>>
>>52370270
It's okay that you don't have an idea of how classical music, but for the sake of being blunt, yes, you *need* to write sheet music and know a decent amount of theory, otherwise you won't be able to communicate to them.
>>
>>52370314
study music.
major in composition.
most universities only have entrance exams for performance papers, where you are taught to be a classical player. I just took composition, theory, history, world music and music technology papers. 10/10 shit.
>>
>>52370316
I said no idea to what he currently uses.
>>
>>52370351
Classical music works*
Apparently I have no idea how English
>>
Currently enrolled at Berklee
Last semester coming up
Been working on debut record for about a year
Once graduated, pushing it hard
Been trying to create image for group
>>
>>52370351
B-b-but Xenakis and all of the other ones
>>
>>52370425
Xenakis wrote scores.

all composers should be able to write scores as their base ability.

just like a writer need to be able to type or write by hand. you dont have to be fast, but you do need to be able to do it.
>>
>>52370425
Xenakis was well versed in classical music. But if you want to make male in that style, why bother with performers, it's mostly about recording and computers anyway
>>
>>52370380
OK well you are becoming boring. I'd research the difference between lo-fi and faux-fi, because that's the problem with your logic. It's the difference between doing something intentionally to create a specific aesthetic, and just simply settling for shitty recording equipment because you don't have the motivation to record with better mics, or calling yourself experimental because you don't have the knowledge to create something musically sound in the first place.

Hence my orignal comments.
>>
>>52370402
haha "trying" get ready to be torn apart by /mu/ as soon as you start
>>
>>52370502
Christ dude, settle down. I don't think he cares anywhere near as much as you do.
>>
i'm a semi-successful (paying my rent wtih music) musician, and i've got to say this is maybe the saddest/most poisonous collection of attitudes.
>>
>>52370511
We all have to try in order to do something.

I don't fucking get it.
>>
>>52370551
not saying I agree! it's just the mentality here. you're a part of it.
>>
>>52370560
Explain, for me image is the entirety of a release. Uniformity between all components of a record. Everything making sense with what comes before and after.
>>
>trying to make money from an artistic vision instead of pushing it until its breaking point
disgusting.
>>
>>52370560
I bet you enjoy the films of Wes Anderson
>>
>>52370603
Couldn't have said it better. Money to an extent makes an artistic vision void.
>>
>>52370586
Certainly image at it's best is a coalescing of the ideas presented in the music, and the art I've found is always made better by it. I guess what I'm saying is be prepared for people to not give a shit for a while, and for many people to tell you you're shit even if others do care. It's really the "trying" element I'm taking issue with, it has to be something you believe in with all your heart to avoid nexus pull of a place like this. Even being conscious of it has been crippling at times.
>>
>>52370632
I'd say you can make whatever money you want from your art, but the second your art is designed to make money it is no longer art. It is a commercial product at that point.
>>
>>52370608
what?
>>
File: the exorcist.jpg (33 KB, 417x420) Image search: [Google]
the exorcist.jpg
33 KB, 417x420
>tfw i want to be an independent electronic composer, a keyboardist in a symphonic/progressive/fusion band, and a media composer for film/tv/radio/games
>tfw all three of them could happen at the same time
>tfw i'll probably be living the genuine dream soon
>>
>>52370667
I really like what you said here. I remember those faint times in high school where it seemed a break was possible but it always fell short. I suppose my mind is more able to realize/push my vision. I've been keeping myself on my toes saying, "you're no a rock star, you're a nobody. No one cares right now. But that doesn't mean they can't later."

Ehhhh these are conversations I love having in person.
>>
>>52370764
but remember, there's no such thing as a break. all you can do is put your work out there, make it better, and keep going. best of luck dude :)
>>
>>52370742
>could
>instead of will
this is how I know you are living a pleb pipe dream. Enjoy your dishwashing job and learn to budget now because you will live off that salary for life.
>>
>>52370316
because it sounds cool
>>
>>52370870
OK sorry,
>tfw all three of them will happen at the same time
>>
>>52370923
fucking right anon. you don't wish for things. go get them.
>>
One of my good friends is influential in the local college band scene, so I think I could get a headstart when it comes to exposure, but I don't have the instruments. I'm in debt with no job so I've been relying on my parents and looking for work. Shit is so expensive man
>>
>>52366868
Never been on Pitchfork, at least not yet, but I've had my music reviewed and/or mentioned on other prominent music sites
>>
We did. It was further than I had gotten in music at any point in my life. Our Facebook page only has a couple hundred fans, but they're from all around the world which is crazy to me.

Some shitty Post-Rock we made in my garage we were lucky enough to record ourselves using nice equipment and at a nice studio ended up on an EP people actually liked. We even got to play the first year of the Summer Set festival in Wisconsin on the main stage in 2012.

Unfortunately band members wanted to do other things, and one if them flat out said he didn't care about doing the band anymore which was heartbreaking as fuck.

Now I think about how I know I can do that again with my friends, but I'm not currently, and it drives me to depression daily.
>>
>>52371134
get some people to do it again, find anyone good, you can do it anon
>>
>>52371074
Name or GTFO or hints
>>
merry christmas.
>>
a good friend is working on some material.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn_Tt2GcWXM
>>
>>52366868
lil b the based god
>>
>>52371134

Any link to your music? I enjoy Post rock. Also where do you live?
>>
>>52368154
learn2gesamtkunstwerk you pleb
>>
>>52370115
the only thing you need to know about classical music in order to make it is that people take it very very seriously.

the one aspect of classical music that separates it from all other forms of music is that in order to be truly appreciated, classical music can never exist in the recorded format: it has to be performed as, how you say, live.

the first thing you will need lots of are performers. live performers are a dime a dozen. they are eager, and are like headless chickens, they are eager not to question the validity of anything you have composed past the fact that you have written it down on lined paper, the second thing you will most of all. as long as your music is written down in precise enough instructions, it does not matter which rules you have followed or haven't followed to create your piece (make sure you use this word or no one will take you seriously, never call anything you make a 'song' or a 'track') - it's all art music to them.

the lesson i leave you with the knowledge that your success in the classical field hinges upon two main abilities: being able to rassle up some performers with the promise of pizza and employment paid in program notes they can show to whomever is funding their education and being able to adequately draw whatever you want them to do using their arcane writing language

good luck comrade, i wish you many great success
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.