[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on this masterpiece?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 9
File: mellow gold.jpg (91 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
mellow gold.jpg
91 KB, 600x600
Opinions on this masterpiece?
>>
>>52153126
>not Modern Guilt
>>
Its ok. I havent felt like listening to the entire album in years. Last time I did, my feelings toward it were, that it really didn't age that well. I can't even listen to Loser anymore, it's like a really bad 90's flashback. Still some good songs on there though, like Truckdrivin' neighbours and Whiskeyclone hotel.
>>
C'MON MOTHERFUCKER

PUT YOUR CLOTHES ON, COME ON
>>
>>52153737
ya' lousy jew
>>
It is great fun

"Give your finger to the rock 'n roll singer" rings a bit hollow what with the amount of vitriol he has pumped into the world, however.

He hates his audience? fuck off then...
>>
>>52153790
>>52153790
WHY DON'T YOU CALL YOUR MOOOOOOMMY!?
>>
>>52153796
What vitriol?
>>
AYYYYY IMMA LOSER BABEY
>>
>>52153126

>hung himself with a guitar string
>>
>>52153796
>>52153836
Nevermind, I was just confused about the definition of vitriol.

Though I don't see what makes you think he hates his audience
>>
>not Midnite Vultures
>>
his name was gert merrs
>>
>>52153871

SO WHY DON'T YA KILL MEY
>>
>>52153836
"I just started hating someone today"

"I'm a loser baby so why don't you kill me"

"nightmare hippy girl"

"soul sucking jerk"

Well some of these people might be quite nice Mr Beck

"stereo pathetic soul manure"

It's all over his work , argue me wrong if you want but he is hating these people...
>>
WHISKY STAINED BUCK TOOTHED BACKWOODS CREEP GRIZZLY BEAR MOTHERFUCKER NEVER GOES TO SLEEP
>>
>>52154070
yeah, the cunt
>>
>>52153951
id say he was, at that point in his career, just indulging in some very typically ironic 90's misanthropy
>>
>>52154164
It never stopped

every album the ironic back hander at what shit we all are

fuck him!

ya know?
>>
>>52153951
>>52154250
Whether or not you think the songs are malicious, which I don't, I don't see how it translates to him hating his fans. I can understand if you think he really does hate these people he sings bad things about, but they aren't really his fans. They're just people in his life (or people he made up).
>>
File: 34-Natascha Linea-600.jpg (44 KB, 300x164) Image search: [Google]
34-Natascha Linea-600.jpg
44 KB, 300x164
>>52154250
Yeah ok.
>>
>>52154300

I don't like it when a performer that has considerable muscle uses it against a member of the public

it's an abuse of power

especially when it is as explicit as with Beck's songs

see also Primal Scream and The Charlatans

He doesn't get away with it as it appears conceited and arrogant

I start to get vibes that he is quite a selfish mean person

:O)

>"They're just people in his life"

Did they deserve it? And Beck is god of which galaxy?

>" but they aren't really his fans."

so what it translates into his wider audience, me for example...

I think I would rather be with the hippy girls and Beck is a total arsehole by the sound of it

Maybe not but I just can't explain his lyrics any other way
>>
"defend poor Beck"

fuck that kick shit out of him
>>
>>52153951
>>52154250
>>52154528
Why the fuck are you typing like that?
>>
SHE'S A NITEMARE HIPPY GIRL....
>>
>>52154528
I think his lyrics are way more myopic than you seem to think. At least his earlier lyrics. (You also mentioned "I Just Started Hating Some People Today", but that one is very much a throwback to his earlier lyrics)

When he says his boss is a jerk, he's not making some grand statement about humanity, or claiming that he's the sole arbiter on who is and isn't a jerk. He's just calling his boss a jerk and there's nothing else to it.

I mean you referenced "Loser", which is literally just a song he made up on the spot to show off his freestyling skills to his friend. He just freestyled in his friends kitchen, which is why he raps about food so much in that song.
>>
File: o-BECK-HANSEN-facebook.jpg (221 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
o-BECK-HANSEN-facebook.jpg
221 KB, 2000x1000
>>52154634
>When he says his boss is a jerk, he's not making some grand statement about humanity

He likes to make songs slagging people off in a sneery ironic rinky dink kinda way

Poor Hippy Girl

Poor person he stated hating on the other day

poor dope fiends in their shit apartment

poor boss even

screw you Beck you hipster cunt

(I do still listen to him though but... I can't avoid this judgement of him)
>>
>>52154792
>He likes to make songs slagging people off in a sneery ironic rinky dink kinda way
Sure. I think it's a very reasonable argument to say that Beck sings a lot of negative stuff about people. I don't see it as being as malicious as you do, but again, I don't see how it translates to him hating his fans. I think the songs are just about specific people. I mean he has songs about loving people, I don't think you're going to argue that he's also in romantic love with his fans.
>>
>>52155010
>I think the songs are just about specific people

Imagine you're that specific person in the song and your life never worked out that well. How would you feel about it?

Was the Hippy Girl really that bad (in comparison to Rudolph Hess) and did she really deserved to be pilloried throughout time?
>>
>>52155137
Beck becomes the thing he parodies in other words
>>
>>52155137
She may not even exist. Either way, saying "he hates his audience" is wrong.
>>
>>52155137
For all you know she's not even a real person but if she is she could have been a giant cunt and writing a silly little song to riff on her was just his way of dealing with it. People write negative songs about people all the time.
>>
>>52155290
>Either way, saying "he hates his audience" is wrong.

no it isn't , it's correct

When Napalm Death sing "Fuck off Nazi Punks" it means they don't like Nazi Punks and wish them to change their minds. Not just certain ones but all of them whether they listen to them or not.

Beck hated on the Hippy Girl so other Hippy Girls that are a bit of a nightmare will come out in her defence and not like Beck (as he is a cunt).

You're singing to millions of people, if you select a member of your audience to dislike it will echo across your listener-ship and it's can start to look like a mean thing to do.
>>
>>52155137
You must really hate Frank Zappa

I'm completely stoned
I'm hippy & I'm trippy
I'm a gypsy on my own
I'll stay a week & get the crabs &
Take a bus back home
I'm really just a phony
But forgive me
'Cause I'm stoned
>>
I mean, he's not that malicious. He never like insults these people.
You want a musician that insults specific people? Listen to of Montreal, Lousy With Syvlianbriar has some real insults
>>
>>52155356
So? Massively privileged person sits in judgement of lesser mortals

screw him then, he didn't deserve it
>>
>>52155477
correct , I don't like Frank Zappa either
>>
>>52155464
The difference is Beck didn't say "fuck off hippy girls", he said negative things about one hippy girl. If you're implying that he's saying he specifically doesn't like "nightmare" hippy girls who are annoying, then I think you're getting a little too specific when trying to claim that he hates his audience.
>>
>>52155464
>>52155495
You literally sound mentally disturbed.
>>
>>52155540
For I was that Nightmare Hippy Girl and I will Fuckin Do You Beck!
>>
Can someone post the interview with the Sonic Youth guy?
>>
>>52155806
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdzY49xlvdY
>>
>>52155848
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKCLUwB0gQY

>
>>
>>52155848
Wow, what an upsetting faggot.
>>
>>52153874
>hung himself with a guitar string
>Beck sampled a guitar and he's still alive
>>
>>52153126
Nitemare Hippy Girl though. Shit's the best.
>>
>>52155464
>if you select a member of your audience
How do you know she was a member of his audience? How do you know she even existed and he didn't just make it up?
>>
File: T11891_10.jpg (288 KB, 1250x1536) Image search: [Google]
T11891_10.jpg
288 KB, 1250x1536
>>52156438
it wouldn't matter if he made her up or if she was an individual. Eventually he will be describing someone who does exists in his audience.

He defines what he doesn't like and holds it up as an object of derision.

People that identify themselves under the characteristics he has chosen as detestable may feel unhappy listening to the song.
>>
>>52156595
Should he not be able to say anything negative about anybody, then?
>>
>>52153901
SOYYY UN PREDATORRRRR
>>
>>52156595
>Eventually he will be describing someone who does exists in his audience.
How do you know if she was an audience member? Maybe she doesn't know/like/care about Beck.
>People that identify themselves under the characteristics he has chosen as detestable may feel unhappy listening to the song.
What characteristics are you talking about here?
>>
>>52156595
Then they'll probably stop listening to him. Or less likely they'll get massively buttblasted and go cry about mean old beck on a Peruvian butter sculpture image board.
>>
>>52156660
SKYYYYYYY OVER CANAAAADAAAAA I'M A LOSA BAY BAY SO WHY DON'T YOU KILL ME
>>
>>52156655
He should yes , maybe up to a certain point

but he does run the risk of alienating his audience

Orson Welles said something along the lines of "an audience will let you get away with most things apart from when you start pissing all over them"
>>
>>52156830
Is calling out a chick on her dumb poetry really that crazy

I think you just don't like beck
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (9 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
9 KB, 320x180
"Excuse me Madam is that a moustache or shit on your lip?"
>>
It's hard for me to pick my favorite Beck album

Modern Guilt used to be my favorite but I think I wore it out or something. Still fantastic but not top 10 tier for me anymore.

Sea Change and Mutations are great, but not his absolute best

Guero, Midnite Vultures, and Odelay are good fun, but they lack that extra something

His really early stuff is super interesting, but not always high quality in terms of songwriting

So Mellow Gold is currently my favorite
>>
>>52156830
According to the song she has tofu the size of Texas. Show me anyone in the world with tofu the size of Maine, let a lone Texas.
>>
>>52156913
How do you feel about some of the ones you left out, like stereopathetic soulmanure and morning phase
>>
Morning Phase was a bit limp I thought, The Information was probably the best album over all..
>>
>>52156981
Your dick is a bit limp m8
>>
>>52156981
Yeah MP wasn't his best. Still like it though
>>
>>52156998
Morning Phase was rubbish
>>
File: rape you.jpg (11 KB, 369x284) Image search: [Google]
rape you.jpg
11 KB, 369x284
>>52157022
Why?
>>
>>52157022
It's his best album since Sea Change. It's about as good as Sea Change, in fact.
>>
>>52157083
Because Anon, it really gets on my nerves. It feels as fake as anything and utterly contrived and has not one song on it you could dance to.

I'm glad you like it though.
>>
>>52157402
Why does it feel fake?
>>
>>52157083
it's the most wistful album ever written ever
>>
>>52157470
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>52153126
that isn't Sea Change or Mutations
>>
>>52157462
I don't know what the musical term for it is, but it never resolves itself.... you know? it's a constant

"aaaaoooiieeeaaaaaaiiooeoeeeeOOaaaaiiieeee"

it never stops going "aaaaAAAAaaooooooiiieeeOOOOoooohhhhh"

it lingers on and on and on

we would need the "perfect cadence picardy third" person to explain what is going on but it's too wispy
>>
It's an amazing album, one of the best of the decade. His best album though The Information is a close second.

Still have to check out Morning Phase but I'm holding it off because people seem generally disappointed by it
>>
>>52156956
Well I left those out because hardly anyone picks those as their favorite

Stereopathetic is actually pretty good, but I like his other albums that came out around that time better. I feel the same about One Foot in the Grave

Morning Phase was better than people said it was but Sea Change and Mutations are better
>>
>>52157603
You might be looking for the word "meandering"
>>
File: why (243).png (104 KB, 293x282) Image search: [Google]
why (243).png
104 KB, 293x282
>everyone always overlooks The Information
>>
>>52157603
>I don't know what the musical term for it is, but it never resolves itself.... you know? it's a constant
Not indicative of being "fake".
>"aaaaoooiieeeaaaaaaiiooeoeeeeOOaaaaiiieeee"
How is that "fake"?
>>
>>52157879
>art pissing all over them

it's very polished and goody goody , the sentiment feels forced...
>>
>>52157967
>feels forced
OK so you know Beck personally to know if he's being genuine or not?

Also are you this idiot >>52156595
>>
File: images (4).jpg (5 KB, 236x214) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
5 KB, 236x214
>>52158105
oh good grief

is this Cleudo?

"How could you ever say that poor Gary Barlow EvER faked a single sentiment in his life? it's people like you that ruin this world!"

etc.
>>
>>52158185
Doesn't look like you asnwered my question for some reason.

How do you know it's fake/forced? Why does polished = fake?
>>
File: 1398490450416.gif (991 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1398490450416.gif
991 KB, 320x240
IN THE TIME OF CHIMPANCES I WAS A MONKEY

SHAVE YOUR FACE WITH A MACE IN THE DARK
>>
>>52158284
it has a certain disconnected ethereal quality through the whole album that prevents me from latching on to it.

"maybe that's how he felt?"

maybe yet is still repels me...
>>
>>52157764
The Information is Guero Diet.
>>
>>52159406
I don't really see the comparison
>>
>>52159406
Not even close.
>>
>>52158880
>prevents me
No that's not what I am asking. I am how you know it's forced or fake.
>>
>>52160592
*I am asking
>>
>>52160592
um. I find it hard to believe that somebody would make music like this naturally

as an analogy I doubt frankfurters grow on trees

If you need further clarification I am happy to answer.

thanks!
>>
>>52160689
>I find it hard to believe that somebody would make music like this naturally
Why? How do you make music yourself?
>>
>>52160738
I don't make music myself but when I listen to Good Gin Blues by Bukka White it sounds very genuine, that he had actually experienced these things and I believe he is telling the truth.

This album doesn't make me feel that way and I suspect his heart wasn't in it or something damaged it along the way.

I might be wrong. What do you think about this album?
>>
>>52160840
>something is only genuine if I connect to it
lol OK so why do you think he was being disingenuous here, but was begin genuine about Nightmare Hippy Girl?
>I don't make music myself
Then why do you think you are qualified to comment about it either way?
>>
>>52160907
>Then why do you think you are qualified to comment about it either way?

as a consumer I don't have to be qualified to comment on music in order to boycott it, I can be completely opinionated in my tastes without any factual grounding, I am only trying to explain to please you
>>
>>52160907
it's a bit like if you punched someone and they go "ow"

which seems different if someone merely says "ow"

ow
>>
>>52161015
No you asked if someone would make music like this naturally. The fact that you don't know shows you shouldn't be commenting either way.
>>52161053
How do you know that person wasn't punched prior to you meeting them, and they are still in pain?
>>
>>52161095
Yeah, sincerity

(not to be confused with technical knowledge)

you can play a piece and fill it with emotion or you can play the exact same piece flat as a pancake

How else would I educate you if you say I don't have the right to answer? Bit of a dichotomy on your part.
>>
>>52161235
>Yeah, sincerity
How can you gauge this?
Note that "because I can/cannot connect to it" is not valid because that differs from person to person.
?you can play a piece and fill it with emotion
How can you gauge how much emotion is in a piece?
>>
>>52161294
>How can you gauge this?

How can you in order to tell me I can't have an opinion?

You know the answer so please tell me.

If you don't know the answer you don't have the right to speak according to your logic.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.