[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ummagumma: an avant-garde, experimental masterpiece. Was hailed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 542x439) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 542x439
Ummagumma: an avant-garde, experimental masterpiece. Was hailed by many as a great album and loved by the masses, even though it was difficult to get into for the average person. Was a huge hit and a top 5 seller.

Thick as a Brick: was intelligent satire on the progressive rock scene. Number 1 seller, literally one 45 minute song with insane choreography and complexity.

Why don't interesting things such as those sell well today? How come very simple 3 minute pop songs dominate the best sellers? Not even lewronggeneration, I like some new music but come on
>>
Were you bullied at school today, anon?
>>
>>52147394
You know the answer
It sucks but that's just how things are today
>>
There's more distractions now, and attention spans have gone down.
>>
>>52147394
>Why don't interesting things such as those sell well today?

because popular music has gotten worse with time

there's still good shit but it doesn't sell well and you need to look for it

this is a sad truth that lerightgeneration tards and poptimists seem to deny but it's 100% true and has been for a very long time
>>
what did you say about my ummagumma?
>>
>>52147394
>Why don't interesting things such as those sell well today?
Its not just today, you had that one short period of mid 60s to early 70s where that kind of stuff was acceptable to the masses. For the rest of the history of popular music, before and after, simple lowbrow stuff has dominated.
>>
i think it's piracy

interesting music makes the round online, every week, and none of you pay for it.

if you had to pay in order to even check these albums out, these albums would be making a shit ton of money.
or at least a livable income.

but if you're savvy enough to find interesting music, you're also savvy enough to steal it, and that's the issue i think.
>>
>>52147394
>rawk
>interesting
LMAO

It's dreg music for baked teens who think they're le intellectual.
>>
>>52147394
Ummagumma was only a top 5 seller because it was a double album. Just saying.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 300x375
I actually don't think this was determined by the popular music scene being "different" back then when compared to today's. Yes it's a factor, but I think the single biggest reason is that the only way to get music at the time of release of those two albums was through vinyl, something not easily accessible to those without the funds to own a record player, a good audio system, and passable speakers, not to mention all the records themselves.

Shit was expensive, so back then the albums that sold were the good ones because only music enthusiasts were willing to shed the money for their hobby, as opposed to the general public that would rather spend it on something else.

I mean, just imagine, bubblegum pop WAS a thing already back then, but the people that liked that kind of music would listen to it on the radio mostly, as opposed to actually purchasing the record.

I can assure you that if we had today's music outlets like iTunes and digital media back then, the best sellers of the time would have been entirely different things.
>>
>>52147554
?
do double albums count twice or something
>>
>>52147554
And calling Ummagumma an avant-garde masterpiece is a stretch in my opinion. It was interesting to hear the band members stretching their wings and all but the I feel as if they perfected what they were trying to do on future releases.
>>
It's true, sadly. Music hasn't been getting worse, of course, but it's hard to imagine albums like Ummagumma being popular these days.
The late 60's were a time of psychadelic and avant-garde stuff, though, so it's understandable. These years, a lot of great electronic and hip-hop albums are getting attention, and maybe in a few decades, a new mindblowing genre will hit the charts.
>>
>>52147567
Yes, it was measured by how many discs were moved. One packaging of Ummagumma sold counts as two sales
>>
Death Grips and Swans
>>
>>52147574
I think youre fibbing
but Im not sure :/
>>
>>52147575
Have Death Grips actually charted? I know for a fact that Swans' To Be Kind managed to peak somewhere in the Top40 but I'm not sure about DG
>>
>>52147572
Music has been shit since 1930
>>
>>52147582
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_certification

i guess just the RIAA counts it like this, my bad bro
>>
>>52147595
In 2007 there were still good ghetto songs that were relaxing like akon dont matter but then justin bieber ruined everything
>>
Failed to read on.
>>
Ummagumma is one of pink floyds worst albums

I don't know how you can go from an amazing side 1 to such a fucking disaster in side 2
>>
>>52147765

Record 1 and 2, i mean

Live stuff is great but their solo works falls apart
>>
>>52147546
>he uses le ironically

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>52147563
Well, you already hat The Beatles dominating the charts 50 years ago, at least during their pop/merseybeat phase. I could probably just google it, but did their late albums sell any less? Or did the 14 year old girls who bought Please Please Me grow up into the hippies who bought Revolver and Sgt. Pepper?
>>
>>52147546
I bet you like electronic music because you're really clever, also none of that EDM crap cos you're not a pleb.
You also smoke pot and watch brass eye because le epic troll

rock on my brother!
>>
>>52147394
people have gotten dumber and the perfection of commercialization.
>>
>>52147394
Ummagumma isn't a masterpiece, nor was it loved by the masses. It has some interesting ideas, and it's probably Pink Floyd's most interesting album, but it stretches their abilities as musicians beyond what they were capable of. It's no wonder rockists will think it's worth saving when they've not heard any of the electroacoustic and concrete music that it is derivative of, but viewed in the context of that music it's not only far less original, but also it's just far less well crafted. That said it's not a bad album for sure, it is in fact a high point of the Floyd discography, but it's not a masterpiece.
>>
>>52148404
I hope that's not a criticism of Brass Eye.
>>
>>52147779
What are you listening to? Sysyphus is one of their best suites. Grantchester Meadows is proto-shoegaze. Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict is a great sound collage. The rest are good. It's miles beyond anything that came after it. Only Pompeii and some earlier stuff equal it (in their discography).
>>
I wanted to answer your question but then I saw your obnoxious image and now I want you to go back to /pol/
>>
>>52147394
Prog is dead. Good riddance.
>>
>>52147394
You've gotten a lot of "people are dumber and worse" and shit in this thread but I don't think its the audience nearly as much as it is the artists themselves that are at cause for this.

I think a lot of artists would really like to make some far out shit like this but the fact is, its hard out there and most of us gotta bring home some food to put on the table. It's hard to take artistic risks when you're struggling to stay alive.
>>
>>52148944
I very much doubt that the likes of Beyonce or Justin Bieber are "struggling to stay alive". They could literally make anything they want to and live comfortably for the rest of their lives on the hundreds of millions in the bank. But, they don't.
>>
>>52147394
>checking me out
theyre probably just looking at her stupid fucking appearance
>>
>>52149002
They do not possess the capability to create worthwhile art.
>>
That is the most obnoxious picture I have ever seen
>>
>>52149552

>what is every female

its not just some rainbow hair colored dyke, you could have a 200 lbs lardass walking down the street thinking every guy is checking her out.
>>
>>52148942
Speaking from a huge fan of prog music, I don't understand how people that are "into music" don't like prog. I mean, I like many other kinds of music but I have and will always have a soft spot for prog. I feel as if prog expanded the boundaries of rock music up to that point and completely changed the face of music. Bands like KC, Soft Machine, Yes, and among countless others progressed rock into a respectable art form. I respect people's taste in music, but people that outright deny progressive rock and any of it's forms I can't take seriously. Sorry for the vent
>>
>>52149689
>people that outright deny progressive rock and any of it's forms I can't take seriously.
Why?
>>
>>52149601
Yeah, that's every female ever for you.
>>
>>52149601
but why does her mouth
>>
>>52149728
IMO, prog defied the norm of rock music. Extended compositions, odd time sigs, classical and jazz fusion within the music, symphonic styles, lyrical content, the list goes on. For someone to claim that it had no significance and it deserves to be overlooked and unappreciated, I guess I just can't understand it. Just my opinion though.
Also, prog is in a pretty bad state but not dead, there are several recent bands I really enjoy.
>>
>>52149871
Any kind of music, from ultra minimalist to absouletly complex, orchestrated maximalism is good- so long as it is done tastefully. Unfortunately too much prog suffers from too much too muchness; as you say, "extended compositions, odd time sigs, classical and jazz fusion" are often incorporated into progressive rock, but with no thought given to the overall aesthetic consistency of the piece, leading to what might be described as 'tasteless kitsch'. There is progressive rock I like, Henry Cow, Faust, Third Ear band et al, but I too often find that the genre falls into a self-indulgent feedback loop along the lines of 'Great so we're playing jazz rock in 13/16 time with oboes, EWIs and bongo drums, why not throw in some fantasy lyrics about dragons and a yodelling solo?'.
>>
>>52150057
>yodeling solo
Lol. I suppose what you find over indulgent noodling, I find to be good music. And I don't believe technical=good, but some great stuff tends to have virtuoso playing. I will admit there are some tasteless stuff that has been done in prog, but the overall aesthetic nature of most prog songs tend to outweigh the tasteless drivel. That being said, say the middle section ambient part of CTTE by Yes. One can say that's overblown pretentious crap, but I, and many others tend to find it to be sublimely beautiful.
>>
>>52150266
>>yodeling solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ouPGGLI6Q
>>
But anon pop songs dominated radio at this time like they are dominating now. Yes, those album have great sales but no one is buying digital albums today anymore. Who knows maybe if To Be Kind came out in 70s with the same popularity it has today it would sell a million ?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.