[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nightly Music Production Thread: Spectograms Are Nice to Look
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14
File: pretty.jpg (529 KB, 1920x912) Image search: [Google]
pretty.jpg
529 KB, 1920x912
Nightly Music Production Thread: Spectograms Are Nice to Look At edition

Share tips, ask questions, post work in progress, remember to sound treat your room with egg cartons :^\)
>>
>>52138860
https://clyp.it/b2ytxhyj
what do you think of this? i call it .gif house
>>
>>52139261

cheesy af, but fun
>>
>>52139351
what do you think about the piano looping over and over. i like it but im probably autismal and i like repetition, whats your opinion?
>>
>>52139429
>https://clyp.it/b2ytxhyj

it's part of the charm. I'd keep it

It's a nice song. I didn't mean "cheesy" in a bad way lol, its just that listen mostly darker stuff
>>
>>52139471
haha no worries. i thought it was a pretty dark track tbh
>>
What do you guys think of this one of my songs?

http://soundation.com/user/nebbi/track/happyt
>>
>>52139882

kawaii desu
>>
>>52139902
yayyyy
heres another

http://soundation.com/user/nebbi/track/pieano2
>>
Don't just spam your shit. We don't want these threads to turn into link dumps, ala SC/Bandcamp threads
>>
File: dev.gif (12 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
dev.gif
12 KB, 250x242
>>52140374
this

here are some approved discussion topics
>your DAW of choice is shit
>trap influenced beats: y/n?
>the music you're making takes no skill
>if you don't use SuperCollider or PureData you know jack shit about music
>if you help someone else you're a faggot because you don't let them learn
>>
>>52140785
Don't forget analog vs. digital.
>>
>>52140785
oh I'm going to post my bandcamp extra hard now
>>
>>52140845
nah, other topics allow for dicussion
analog>digital is a fact
>>
File: b.png (74 KB, 788x222) Image search: [Google]
b.png
74 KB, 788x222
>>52140872
analog + digital is the trve way
>>
File: 1411611753160.jpg (73 KB, 384x662) Image search: [Google]
1411611753160.jpg
73 KB, 384x662
This wasn't well received in /sci/ so I'll ask here.
I'm making bleep bloops building my own synths. What program can I use to sequence music outside of my pc? a usb out or a midi out would be great.
>>
>>52141067
Get an audio interface with midi in and out. That way you can actually record with decent quality too
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg2y_IQ0bdg

tight TV/Film theme production

(if not epically overblown)
Score was a mix of real players, sound libraries and real synths.

another tight theme would be the Voyager theme, as well as MacGuyver (tight for the 80s) and DS9. TNG is a classic as well.
>>
File: escapefromnewyork1.jpg (48 KB, 349x475) Image search: [Google]
escapefromnewyork1.jpg
48 KB, 349x475
>>52141189

John Carpenter is a synth God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d9Sgov0nWo
>>
File: moiteno.webm (1 MB, 920x508) Image search: [Google]
moiteno.webm
1 MB, 920x508
>>52138860
moite, that's not a spectrogram. this is a spectrogram...
>>
How the fuck do I synths? How the fuck do I anything?
I've noodled around for a year and I can't fucking figure anything out, I'm just giving up fuck this fuck this goddammit[q23owyhi e
>>
>>52141784
#ragequit
>>
>>52141784
Start out with subtractive synths. Sylenth is a good choice. Just look up how to make patches you like, experiment. I'm not gonna go through synthesis 101 here. Google subtractive synthesis.
>>
File: 25439.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
25439.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>52141189
I'vr always wanted to ask you, what do you think of Hybrid, Poly-style? They're a symphonic trance/nu-skool breaks unit and their first album was made in collaboration with the Russian Federal Orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9E9TKX3A2M
>>
>>52141539
>oonts oonts oonts oonts
>>
>>52141921
I think additive helped me learn synthesis faster. whats the difference though?
>>
>>52141927
Pretty damn cool for 1999

wish the orchestral parts were clearer though, they seem reverbed/cut up beyond recognition.

Strings were ok, but vocals kind of killed it for me.

I liked the beats most of all.
>>
File: IMG_01832.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_01832.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>52141784
If you're trying to learn about synthesis, read about modular synthesizers and how they work. Basically, with a modular synth, each "module" does one specific function to the signal that goes into it. If you understand how a basic modular synthesizer works, you can pretty much understand any synthesizer.

>>52139261
The punchy bassline you've got going in the second half doesn't really fit with the smoothness of the rest of the song. If you made that distorted piano sound a bit more rhythmic to go with the bassline, the song as a whole would probably feel a lot more complete

This is a hip hop instrumental I just made today, it's for a friend of mine who is going to write some lyrics to it
https://soundcloud.com/brendyman/sketch35_a-instrumental
>hip hop, instrumental, electronic

pic related, it's a synthesizer I built and used in the song
>>
>>52141932
haha exactly
>>
>>52142095
How much did you spend on making it?
Did you read any tutorials? care to share?
also nice track, but I'd say go a bit easier on the sidechain
>>
>>52142095
whats ar?
>>
>>52141997
The unfiltered strings kick in halfway in the track.
>>
File: 45BCIcT.jpg (124 KB, 694x926) Image search: [Google]
45BCIcT.jpg
124 KB, 694x926
>>52142420
I bought a kit from www.musicfromouterspace.com, this guy has tons of schematics, tutorials, information et cetera about analog synthesizers. In the kit you get all the parts, schematics, to build it except a case and a faceplate, which you have to make your own. The kit cost $120, then I got the box for $5 at Michael's. It's an awesome feeling, building a synth from parts and actually being able to use it in music.

Pic is of the inside of it, after I soldered everything to the PCB and wired the front panel
>>
>>52142095
really liked the snare (sound like coins/keys dropping?)
loved the synths that came in around 2:00
hi-hat was really weak though, felt like it was constantly getting buried
maybe it's just my headphones, but the bass synth (don't know what to call it, the thing that has a pitch, not the drum) at around 2:36 could use more presence
at times the kick felt too off (right at 2:30, maybe a little before) for the most part it was great, i would tweak it to not fall on the off-beat so often around the break

>>52142420
agreed about the sidechain, i'm not a fan of it in any song really
>>
>>52142460
It stands for Attack-Release. It's an envelope generator, except it doesn't have decay and sustain (usually envelope generators have attack, decay, sustain, and release, but this one just has attack and release).
>>
>>52142617
Cool, thanks for the feedback
>>
File: WIP first vocal draft in.png (583 KB, 1920x1039) Image search: [Google]
WIP first vocal draft in.png
583 KB, 1920x1039
>>52142474
yeah heard those. average string writing, could be much better.

WIP song coming along, finally have first vocal parts going in.
>>
>>52142624
a simplified envelope? like how moog used to have decay and sustain as the same control?
what would you need to know to build something like that?
>>
>>52142624
never mind, i didn't see>>52142582
>>
>>52142947
Yeah, exactly! And this one has a button that acts as a "gate", and you can switch from that to "automatic" which basically turns the envelope generator into a second LFO, which is pretty cool
>>
I'm trying to make a mix in Ableton, but the interface/specifically changing the tempo is getting to be really annoying.

I want the automation of it so I can just put the mix together and hit play and record though, but I'm just wondering if a basic mix would be easier/more worthwhile on something like Virtual DJ?
>>
yo everyone weigh in on how i make dope music

serious responses only
>>
File: curse_of_cat_people_lc_01.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2343) Image search: [Google]
curse_of_cat_people_lc_01.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2343
https://soundcloud.com/mephisto_waltz/voyeur-sleuth

Looking for any feedback I can get.
>>
>>52144054
serious responses for serious questions only ;]
>>
thoughts on collision and analog? i'm used to softsynths with totally different musical character but i cant find a reason to really like the ableton instruments.
that said im trying to find less CPU intensive ways of getting similar sounds, because a single instance of reaktor Prism is like 40% CPU usage and collision is like 5%
>>
>>52144061
that's cool as hell, if you actually made any of those noises. I'm sure you didn't though
>>
>>52144054
fail miserably and then learn from your mistakes and bounce back, then proceed to fail over and over and over again and rinse and repeat.

dont buy shit you dont need, dont make fucking toaster synths or whatever the fuck is going on above, use the basic tools you have and set a goal and try to reach it as close as possible.
>>
>>52144061
>record subway noises
>slow them down 700%
>add reverb
>shitpost your shit music in production threads

nice
>>
>>52144061
>Looking for any feedback I can get.
be less shit
actually make music
>>
>>52144053
What's annoying about it? Changing tempo is pretty easy. What's confusing you?

>>52144102
Collision is average, analog is meh. The sampler is the best ableton instrument, and the grand piano isn't bad. I like operator. I don't really use Ableton synths, mostly sylenth/FM8.
>>
>>52144152
This.
Actual noise-y ambient/drone sounds like something, you know, enjoyable to listen to.
>>
>>52144173
analog has a nice filter but is really boring. simpler is incredible, sampler is powerful for reasons beyond just sound design and super cool.
i'm a Massive user, in addition to Prism, and Massive is easier to handle, but i still cant have a shit ton of instances of it running. maybe i should defer to creative use of sampler to get around CPU issues for performance, or just suck it up and use audio instead of MIDI
>>
>>52144112
We absolutely did produce at least 60% of the noises featured throughout this track--the rest are samples. Thanks for your input, though. Much appreciated.

>>52144152
>>52144177
Sorry you guys didn't care for it, but thanks anyway for listening.
>>
how to tell youre a shit producer
you make one of the following:
>bigroom house
>ambient
>"""experiemntal"""
>drones
>minimal techno
>field recordings
>minimal hip hop beats

you can also tell youre a shit producer if you think hardware is a necessity and that the more money you spend on production equipment somehow makes you better

>half the thread butthurt
>>
>>52144219
so, like noise wave with a little bit of a regular wave mixed in? because i hear some actual tones in there

>>52144224
post your music
>>
>>52144167
Thanks for listening.
>>
File: pd.png (144 KB, 1644x946) Image search: [Google]
pd.png
144 KB, 1644x946
>>
>>52144173
>What's annoying about it?
Well I tried to follow instructions on having one breakpoint before selecting where in the songs I wanted to change the master tempo.

And I also tried just changing the tempo using the master mixer, or whatever it is called where you set breakpoints.

But neither actually isolated the temp changes. It always affects far more of the song/songs than I set it to, for no apparent reason.
>>
>>52144135
>don't make toaster synths

but that things based as fuck
>>
>>52144224
>>minimal hip hop beats
>>minimal hip hop beats
what
>>52144247
asked
>>
>>52144247
>posting my music will somehow give validity to "experimental" drone music and challenge that buying expensive equipment does not automatically make you a better producer
>>
>>52144333
but anon, experimenting is fun!
>>
>>52144333
you're thinking to much into my post. Post your music because I want to hear how good of a producer you are.
>>
where can i find vocal samples like the ones used around 1:32? Im looking for a good bank of flexible vocal shots

this track is fucking sweet by the way calfran fucking destroyed on this track

https://soundcloud.com/spinninrecords/michael-calfan-treasured-soul-original-mix
>>
>>52144333
no, the idea is more that posting your own shitty dubstep will easily discredit your stupid claims
>>
>>52144349
ive long believed people, especially people in soundcloud threads, end up making "experimental" music because they dont have the ability to make music in an already established genre

>>52144359
on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a soundcloud thread drone producer and 10 being jon hopkins im probably around a 6.5/7. Im about 5 years into development as a producer and it takes roughly 10 on average before you get anywhere, but even halfway through development anybody can easily see just how fucking awful soundcloud thread producers are, and that their music is fucking embarrassing.

Im not going to post any of my work because i know how 4chan works and you'll just shit on it for the sake of shitting on it out of bitterness regardless of the actual quality.

>>52144363
i dont make dubstep and even if i did make shit dubstep it wouldnt somehow legitimize "experimental" drones or minimal techno as being advanced in anyway
>>
after throwing a noise wave on a resonance, I get pissed off now whenever a synth doesnt have multiple modulators on every parameter
>>
>>52144477
>synth doesnt have multiple modulators on every parameter
why would you practically ever need that on a consistent basis?
>>
>>52144467

>Im not going to post any of my work because i know how 4chan works and you'll just shit on it for the sake of shitting on it out of bitterness regardless of the actual quality.

so you're admitting it sucks
>>
>>52144487
IT SOUNDS FUCKING DOPE, AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR PRACTICALITY

>>52144467
there's tons of great producers in sc threads. just stop being so cynical and let people get excited about sharing their tunes.
>>
>>52144503
>so you're admitting it sucks

no thats not what im saying.
I couldve produced Light Through The Veins and you would purposely shit on it because you disagree with me. Dont even act like that wasnt the intention
>>
>>52144517
>IT SOUNDS FUCKING DOPE, AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR PRACTICALITY
what does that even sound like?
sounds like a major clusterfuck having modulation on every synth parameter.
>>
File: y.jpg (33 KB, 640x778) Image search: [Google]
y.jpg
33 KB, 640x778
>>52138860
Anyone here use superior drummer? Need some help trying to beef out my tone a bit more.
Here is a sample of the preset i am currently working with...

https://soundcloud.com/maxnni/dream-waves
>>
>>52144548
not if you know how to use a synthesizer. besides a lot of synths do have a way of modulating everything, have you ever used sytrus or harmor? even harmless sounds dope (once i figured it out)
>>
>>52144569
>superior drummer
oh god i have no fucking clue how that shit works i had to use it while producing for a metal band and it kept shitting out every 10 minutes for whatever reason

use saturators to beef up drums
>>
>>52144569
>>52144596
or, or , or, layer drums at different freq. and fill up the spectrum
>>
>>52144596
Hahahaha its nice to use in cubase because the drum mapper is pretty intuitive, fuck doing it with anything else though....

Cheers for the help, will have a fiddle about with some.
>>
>>52144569
Key to a big drum sound in superior is mixing multiple snares and kicks together.
>>
>>52144604
maybe subtly
>>
>>52144604
Shiiyyuuuut Hadnt thought of that...
>>
>>52144616
mega!
>>
>>52144625
>>52144627
but you know, mix them on the playlist so you can deal with phasing and shite
>>
IF YOU ARENT MIXING WITH QUAD AMPED SPEAKERS YOU MIGHT AS WELL PACK IT IN I CAN FUCKING HEAR COLORS
>>
>>52144743
Welcome back Jbenitex
>>
>>52144931
that guy still posts?
>>
I fucking hated that jbenitex cunt. why did he post that stupid ass music?
>>
>tfw i'll never produce for iggy azalea and steal her back from the "dark side"
>>
File: 12.png (195 KB, 676x350) Image search: [Google]
12.png
195 KB, 676x350
>>52141539
hm, where do you get one like that?
I also remember seeing still images of spectrograms that looked like mountains or wide landscapes, more natural than this one. would love to know if there are some free ones.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.