[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
experimental hip-hop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: 1408128263405.png (670 KB, 737x691) Image search: [Google]
1408128263405.png
670 KB, 737x691
All memes aside, is there any act in hip-hop right now that is more original/experimental than Death Grips? I ask because I legitimately want to know, if there are hip-hop albums more cutting-edge than NLDW or NOTM I want to hear them. The only thing that comes to mind are clipping. and maybe Busdriver but even they are very poppy compared to Death Grips.
>>
Shaabaz Palaces, Clipping, cLOUDDEAD but they don't exist anymore. Some MF DOOM release could be considered "experimental".

In France we have Odezenne but it's shit.
>>
Lil B.
>>
>>51855812
Saul Williams - Said the Shotgun To the Head
Subtle - For Hero: For Fool
cLOUDDEAD - S/T

Still, notm is crazier than any of them, while remaining catching.
>>
Does Dalek still exist?
>>
>>51855836

I've heard both of Shabazz Palaces albums, Black Up was okay but Lese Majesty was garbage. I don't like cLOUDEAD and I hate MF Doom, I don't see how Doom could be experimental other than "lol I rap about geeky shit like comic books".

>>51855860

Saul Williams is okay I guess. Haven't heard of Subtle.
>>
>>51855905
You asked for more experimental. Not Better.
>>
the worst thing about bands like clipping is the fucking annoying generic swag rap style

part of the reason i like death grips is mc ride doesnt just sound like every other rapper
>>
>>51855846
This.

Death Grips entire catalog is leagues more accessible than Choices and Flowers and Rain in England.
>>
>>51855905
Well I never seen how MF DOOM is experimental but I guess its how he raps his production and the production of others he raps over and maybe his lyrics. Not saying his comic book theme is experimental and also it's not like he just raps about geek stuff its more of a light theme.
>>
File: folder.jpg (654 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
654 KB, 1000x1000
too easy
>>
>>51855936

You're right, but Death Grips is more experimental than everything mentioned so far except maybe Dalek (and that's only if you count the mediocre collab they did with Faust).

Maybe I should have clarified that I wanted experimental AND good.

I just want to know what's out there that /mu/ doesn't talk about every day.
>>
Idk if it's more original than DG but Paavoharju's last album was a nice mix of folk, ambient and hip hop and something I hadn't really heard before. The lyrics are not English though.
>>
>>51855860

>Subtle - For Hero: For Fool

this is pretty good
>>
>>51855812
>busdriver
>they
Kek
>>
>>51855895
Yes, but they seem to be slowing down.
>>
File: 193e35f1a5.jpg (90 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
193e35f1a5.jpg
90 KB, 600x600
Christ, do you even listen to experimental hip-hop?

Imagine Yourself In A Free And Natural World, From Filthy Tongue Of Gods And Griots, Nausea, Absence, Belly. Not only are these albums all more experimental than Death Grips (who, reminder, still stick closely to verse-chorus-verse structure, have to resort to catchy hooks, and still aren't as aggressive as B L A C K I E), and most of them PREDATE Death Grips.
>>
>>51857207
Damn dude, you should have mentioned Spiral Walls Containing Autumns of Light. Prehistoric-Death Grips for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18bMtR-7q3Y
>>
>>51857250
Oh shit, I was just about to post this.
It's amazing, definitely my favourite experimental hiphop release
>>
https://vanajasri.bandcamp.com/album/sigil-ep
>>
File: History Will Absolve Me.jpg (238 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
History Will Absolve Me.jpg
238 KB, 600x600
>>51855812
Not very experimental but sort of has that raw power sound that Death Grips has
>>
>>51857207

>Imagine Yourself In A Free And Natural World

Mah nigga, that's actually one of my favorite albums this year, although it goes so far beyond the common bounds of hip-hop I'm not even sure it could be called hip-hop. It's more like noise/drone.
>>
>>51857736

I think it should be considered hip-hop, if only because the genre is only going to become more stagnant and boring if we consider everything that tries something completely new with it a different genre.
>>
>>51857207
>BLACKIE
>AGGRESIVE

dude he sounds like a whiny little bitch
Shits terrible reminds me of fucking acid rap

>these niggas aint even heard of New Kingdom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS3i2fOQ3iM
>>
>>51857831

If you honestly think Hometown Blues, Selfishness of Evil Men, GEN, and Warchild aren't aggressive hip-hop, especially compared to Death Grips, you're straight-up dumb.
>>
>>51857873
Yeah its aggresive but theres no power behind it at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqi5U0lNDPA

look at him he just looks awkward and almost teenage in the way he acts and dresses

whereas death grips seem to live their music just compare MC Ride and Blackie
>>
>>51856661
>>51855895
Actually guys, they're releasing a new album in 2015!

check their facebook, i flipped my shit when i saw it
>>
>>51857982
this guy is a joke right?

srs...
>>
>>51857982

>there's no power behind it at all

What are you talking about? You can hear the pure hatred and bitterness in his voice on Hometown Blues where he's talking about his personal life and the struggles he's had coming up through it all. When he talks about the fact that he just discovered he might have autism on Selfishness of Evil Men, he's almost on the verge of tears. There's LOTS of power behind it, linking to a video of a single live performance isn't going to change that. Go look at the Death Grips boiler room performance and tell me that MC Ride's off-beat screaming wouldn't get laughed at the same way if they weren't already powerful.

B L A C K I E lives the music more than MC Ride. He's constantly trying to break new ground, with the kind of insane noise that the subgenre prides itself on. Compare Imagine Yourself and Death Grips albums, it's straight-up adventurous drone rap vs. hip-hop that resorts back to traditional structures and repetitious hooks at every opportunity.

Death Grips is a stripped down, safe version of B L A C K I E's sound supplemented with easy-on-the-ears hooks and a lack of noise.
>>
>>51858122

Don't judge exclusively by live performances, his studio work is some 10/10 hip-hop

http://blackieallcapswithspaces.bandcamp.com/track/caught-lost
>>
>>51855812
>is there any act in hip-hop right now that is more original/experimental than Death Grips?
http://blackieallcapswithspaces.bandcamp.com/track/i-dont-wear-sneakers
>>
>>51858210

>posting the worst Spred Luv song

http://blackieallcapswithspaces.bandcamp.com/track/my-window
>>
>>51855812
How come nobody talks about Food for Animals? Their sound is so aggressive and ahead of their time. The Lyrics could use work though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ9HUB6sC6I
>>
>>51858269
>posting the worst Spred Luv song
okay. My window is good but i dont wear sneakers.
>>
>>51858292
>How come nobody talks about Food for Animals?
>The Lyrics could use work though.
answered ur own qeustion kek!
>>
ITT: threads where its all you now
also opinions on bones? i think he is pushing the barriers of hip hop rn
>>
>>51858316
>The Lyrics could use work though
just because their lyrics need work doesn't mean they shouldn't be talked about.
>>
>>51855905
Please. Please murder yourself.
>>
>>51858292

I mentioned Belly back here

>>51857207

FFA was legendary. Vulture's lyrics aren't incredible (Why is everything "Like" this? That's a lame way to compose verses) but his high-pitched voice is awesome for some punky hip-hop. Scavengers is one of the best in the genre.
>>
>>51858368
>just because their lyrics need work doesn't mean they shouldn't be talked about.
Yea it does kek!
>>
>>51858335
bones a god
>>
>>51858122
no dudes dead serious

Literally the most edgy rapper out there
at least you know MC Ride has lived a lot of the shit he talks about but BLACKIE sounds like he had a bad day at school or some shit
>>
>>51858421
graveyard god
>>
Death Grips isn't even that experimental
>>
>>51858453
This.

Abrasive bleep bloops =/= experimental
>>
>>51857982

that guy's face is priceless when blackie goes up close expecting him to get scared and he's just stood there all stone-faced because blackie is not intimidating
>>
The fact that so many plebs still name Death Grips "the greatest or most experimental or most original" hip hop group ever only tells you how far hip hop music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Hip hop critics are still blinded by commercial success: Death Grips yelled more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the most experimental.
>>
>>51858335
>>51858421
fucking love bones

I know he can be slightly cheesy but its good
>>
File: folder.jpg (5 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
5 KB, 200x200
are you niggers even trying?
>>
>>51858490
off topic, but who else is like death grips? Abrasive and aggressive is really all I'm interested in
>>
>>51858581
clipping
>>
>Check out Bones on youtube
>I actually like it and want to check out his album
What have you done?
>>
>>51855905
dude youre not even worthy of hip-hop gtfo
>>
File: a3644877656_10.jpg (397 KB, 1181x1181) Image search: [Google]
a3644877656_10.jpg
397 KB, 1181x1181
>>51855812
Uochi Toki

Particularly their collaborative album this year with Nadja, Cystema Solari. It's drone rap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uks-gv-O-qA
>>
>>51858581
ratking
run the jewels
shabazz palaces
food for animals
dalek
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.