[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
saying vaporwave is dead= you are admitting it's getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6
File: FS.jpg (201 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
FS.jpg
201 KB, 1000x1000
saying vaporwave is dead=

you are admitting it's getting popular
you're building an artificial barrier that could prevent you from hearing some genuinely good tracks
you foster an atmosphere of pointless negativity toward future expression

stop it already you stupid fucks
>>
maybe if the music wasnt shit more people would embrace it
>>
>>51854242
I don't get why people say it's dead either. Early vaporwave, most of the popular albums of the genre, are inferior to what's coming out now. Most of it is bad though, and you cannot deny that. I'm sure it will continue developing though and we'll get some masterpieces out of it. There are at least 2 /mu/sicians who are among the best vaporwave artists.
>>
File: 1393168399911.png (244 KB, 599x455) Image search: [Google]
1393168399911.png
244 KB, 599x455
Vaporwave is artistically dead. The best years were 2011/2012. Now it's just a bunch of self-promoting hacks copying and cannibalized each other and trying to be the next big thing. Nothing about the original mystique is left, now it's just up-beat nu-disco with a few samples.
>>
>>51854342
This is only mostly true, and being mostly true isn't enough.
>>
>>51854342
youre forgetting music is about sounding interesting and cool.
>>
>>51854342
you obviously havnt explored the genre much in the past couple years
>>
>>51854242
vaporwave is not dead, it just vanished into the mist
>>
>>51854422
it's time for the successor genre to vaporwave to appear on the scene ...Mistwave
>>
>>51854335
and who would that be?
>>
>>51854242
you're an idiot
>>
>>51854422
in other words, it turned into invisible waves of vapor?
>>
they just say it's dead on mu because they want to focus on something else new and original

this leaves the fans of vaporwave (like myself) a bit frustrated and unhappy, what can you do
>>
i think is more interesting now then it ever was
>>
>>51854242
flaweless logic. you should write for gamergaters.
>>
>>51854422
hip-hop is not dead, it just went underground
>>
Vaporwave is dead because it was always a stupid fad to begin with. How could slowed down Dianna Ross songs possibly have a lifespan longer than a few months?

The only reason vaporwave is still popular among some posters is that it allows the most talentless, musically clueless people to open up songs in audacity, change the pitch and become "musicians."
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 350x350
This came out a couple months back, I actually thought it was incredibly fresh. Then again, I haven't been too caught up with vaporwave either. Anyway, I enjoyed this immensely.
>>
>>51854611

>How could slowed down Dianna Ross songs possibly have a lifespan longer than a few months?

Considering that Floral Shoppe came out over three years ago and people are still talking about I'd say you're wrong. Heck, I even own the cassette I bought for over 200 dollars, that's how much the genre means to people.

>The only reason vaporwave is still popular among some posters is that it allows the most talentless, musically clueless people to open up songs in audacity, change the pitch and become "musicians."

Spoken like a true enlightened 9gag user.
>>
>>51854342
>original mystique
good one

jk
>>
>>51854684
People are still talking about it? Where?

>Heck, I even own the cassette I bought for over 200 dollars, that's how much the genre means to people.
Flawless logic. You're dumb enough to spend $200 on a cassette, therefore that's how much this music means to everyone else.

>Spoken like a true enlightened 9gag user.
Nah, dude. I don't have a problem with sampling, electronic music or any of that shit.

I have a problem with talentless hacks that slow down Dianna Ross songs and the retards who pretend that it's some satire on post-consumerist contextualization or whatever shit you pull out of your ass.
>>
>>51854713

The first few waves of vaporwave artists were all anonymous. Now they all have facebook accounts, soundclouds etc.
>>
>>51854242
g2bed sissy
>>
>>51854664
can you PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK???
>>
>>51854342
This is one of the worst attempts at vaporwave I've ever heard. It may very well be one of the worst albums I've ever heard.
>>
>>51854768
I'm hosting it on Soulseek right now, you fuck.
>>
>>51854768
http://vaporwave.me/dreamcatalogue/%5bDREAM_063%5d%20R23X%20-%20OST%20(1).rar.zip
Here you go.
>>
>>51854819
IM NOT ON FUCKING SOULSKEET
>>
>>51854741

>People are still talking about it? Where?

There are vaporwave threads on /mu/ every few hours. There's also an active sub-reddit.

>Flawless logic. You're dumb enough to spend $200 on a cassette, therefore that's how much this music means to everyone else.

If I'm dumb enough to spend $200 on the cassette how about the guys who've spent $400+ on the cassette? The vaporwave cassette community is one of the most active and dedicated right now with hundreds of dollars being thrown around. I'd say that's pretty respectable for a supposed, disposable internet micro-meme genre.

>I have a problem with talentless hacks that slow down Dianna Ross

You have a problem with manipulating and morphing voice samples? There are ton's of sample based music genres out there, vaporware is just one of them.

>it's some satire on post-consumerist contextualization or whatever shit you pull out of your ass.

If you don't like the concept fine, that's your opinion. But a lot of people do like it. Stop being hostile for no reason, hide the thread and move on.
>>
>>51854748
yeah i thought we all got over that it was hipsterish
>>51854342
vaporwave was built on self-promoting, how the fuck would people deliver their music otherwise? im sure theres a vaporwave artist that does not self-promote or have any social media, but no one fucking knows do they!
>>
>>51854928
my problem with the concept is that it isn't there for a lot of the artists i know of other then internet club and vektroid, and vektroids shit is childish tbh.
>>
>>51855078
search harder
>>
>>51854928
>The vaporwave cassette community is one of the most active and dedicated right now with hundreds of dollars being thrown around

hahaha
>>
>>51855142

Fuck off digital fag, I bet you use spotify.
>>
>>51854928
You realize that vektroid just has boxes and boxes of macintosh plus cassettes and uses them to pay rent right?
>>
>>51854242
who cares, newfag
>>
>>51855172

No, floral shoppe is strictly limited to 100 copies. Beer on the Rug did the pressings not Vektroid herself.
>>
File: 290fhqadnc0048fjesdoi.jpg (123 KB, 497x497) Image search: [Google]
290fhqadnc0048fjesdoi.jpg
123 KB, 497x497
This and macplus will be the only albums from this scene that get talked about 10 years down the road.
>>
>>51855170
:^)
>>
has anyone tried listening to that ferraro album on a smartphone? im saving up for a starbucks to try it
>>
>>51854242
>caring
>appealing to opposition
Dropped. I will never take vapor wave seriously ever again and it's all your fault. Feel bad.
>>
>>51855254
LINK???????
>>
>>51855253
Yep, whatever you say dude.

100 copies 100 copies 100 copies

It's like a mantra to you people

Keep buying them on ebay when they randomly show up man
>>
>>51855279
literally took me 1 sec of Internet, Anon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oBbJg_PqbU
>>
>>51855254
probably,yeah, but they both suck. and no one will be talking about vaporwave expect for maybe dream catalouge in ten years
>>
>>51855254

Blank Banshee isn't vaporwave. He just tagged his stuff as vaporwave to capitalize on it. Blank Banshees sound sounds disposable and confined.
>>
>>51855313
"wavestep" came up when I searched for it - i hate it already but will still give a listen
>>
>>51855279
You really can't just type in "Blank Banshee" in your search bar? Jesus christ I knew that /mu/ was just full of underage but that is really, REALLY low.
>>
File: win95-1-1.png (58 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
win95-1-1.png
58 KB, 640x400
>>51855351
haters get out
>>
>>51855331

His second release is way better and way less upbeat. Nice digital ambient that evokes polygonal imaginary of second life-esque worlds. Listen to Java clouds.
>>
blank banshee is seapunk
>>
>>51855311
pretty shit
>>
>>51854928
>>51854741
Personally, I don't really care about whatever stupid avant-garde message people use to justify it.

I unironically enjoy calm elevator music. And I like how Vaporwave can take that shit and make it haunting, creepy even. It's awesome.
>>
>>51855408
i always love the steel-drum sound these groups use, but other than that its al lover the place - just seems like another dorm-room DJ fad, but i dont dislike it
>>
>>51855411
where exactly did the ironic aspect of it come around? was a producer like wait...this is shit..oh god its um ironic actually
>>
>>51855374
Haha, that's so clever bro. You ironically posted an image of an outdated operating system that you weren't alive to experience.
>>
>>51855458
I think the sampling of hip hop and slowed down R&B lyrics mixed with album covers of retro shit that is inherently ironic made people think it was a joke - like Tim & Eric or something - doesnt take away that its still well made music,even if it is sometimes a little goofy
>>
>>51855458
chuck person
>>
>>51855458
Aritsts and journalists tried to give it some meaning. Go to art school and watch how many artists bullshit their way through explaining their work.

>The genre was also described as "ironic and satirical or truly accelerationist" by Adam Harper of Dummy Magazine, who argued that the term "vaporwave" itself is also reminiscent of a passage from Karl Marx’s Communist Manifesto, "all that is solid melts into air."

>Vaporwave musician 情報デスクVIRTUAL, alias of musician Vektroid, described her album 札幌コンテンポラリー as “a brief glimpse into the new possibilities of international communication” and “a parody of American hypercontextualization of e-Asia circa 1995.
>>
>>51855524
jesus its like straight from an english lit essay
>>
>>51855524
b-but i like that essay.
>>
>>51855311
no offense but this isnt vaporwave (or good)
>>
>>51855311
this guy is fucking terrible literally just steals entire songs, not slowed down or sped up, da fuck, is it sarcastic ?
>>
>>51854770
my nigga
>>
>>51857036
no, those are the songs. that's why people say he's not vaporwave, because there is no plunderphonics aspect at all. Just regular synths and drum machines programmed with some samples thrown in to go along with it. Basic electronic composition really or 'hybrid' if you want to call it that, in context to pure plunderphonic vaporwave.
>>
>>51854770

It's basically Replica in vaporwave form, pleb. Kids that like nu-disco wont get it.
>>
>>51857036
Pretty sure you didn't even listen to it and felt like posting something that might get others mad in a vaporwave thread.

That album isn't even vaporwave
>>
>>51857192
It's just a shitty glitch album that uses TV samples
>>
>>51857181
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ft4Pyxvsyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilx-wtoPsLgt=51m20s

i did thought it was pretty bad, so i looked at his second one and damn man this is disgusting
>>
>>51857202
wow, I genuinely thought he was just that retarded. didn't think of that, which is exactly what that was.
>>
>>51857221

How is that different from Replica? The album at least stands out in a sea of unimaginative shit all copying each other and trying to be the next floral shoppe. Dystopian vaporwave is best vaporwave.
>>
>>51857251
i mean im not digging on all of vaporwave, hell even 'lazy' vaporwave is okay, it adds a new sound to it just slowing it down a ton or looping a segment but damn dude he just put a name on a song fuck
>>
TF is vaporwave.
>>
>>51857279
Because people don't listen to Replica and try to add a bunch of concept and meaning like they do with that speed racer album

It usually just boils down to the typical "muh capitalism, dystopian, game shows, ideal life" that isn't even what vaporwave was about in the first place.
>>
>>51857255
> >>51857251
>>
>2015
>the truth

saphronsquares.bandcamp.com
sleepcenter.bandcamp.com
nmesh.bandcamp.com
gnuswvs.bandcamp.com
>>
File: 1351233357898.gif (526 KB, 570x496) Image search: [Google]
1351233357898.gif
526 KB, 570x496
>>51857375
>>51857251
>>
>>51857326
holy fucking shit you aren't retarded, I am. apologies anon.

wow. really lame.
>>
>>51857325

Fuck off. Internet club was one of the first artists to do vaporwave. You know jack shit about the genre.

>Because people don't listen to Replica and try to add a bunch of concept and meaning like they do with that speed racer album

What the hell are you talking about? Replica has a clear meaning, as Lopatin said in an interview:

"These samples I'm using are the last remnants of society in a post-apocalyptic world, and the survivors think they're putting together a replica of what society used to be like, but they're getting it totally wrong. Like someone getting artifacts wrong for a museum in the future. I'm so obsessed with what will happen 10,000 years from now that I wanted to create a situation where I could simulate that on my own terms."

Internet club was heavily influenced by Replica when he did the ▣世界から解放され▣ album, he mentioned that in a bunch of interviews. Instead of using samples from old infomercials he used old Japanese game shows. While ▣世界から解放され▣ isn't nearly as good as Replica it's miles better than 90% of all vaporwave releases so far and an undeniable cornerstone of the genre. Go listen to your nu-disco somewhere else, you don't get vaporwave.
>>
>>51857506
>Replica has a clear meaning
That's exactly what I'm saying.

▣世界から解放され▣ isn't about capitalism or any of that shit. People just tack that on because they like pretending to understand vaporwave
>>
>>51857506
what is nu-disco? saint pepsi's new shit stuff or? since you know about the genre what'd you like that came out this year? i liked a few releases... but im not sure they qualify as vaporwave anyway
>>
>>51857375
[:
>>
>>51857647
saint pepsi, yung bae, and macross come to mind.

Entirely different aesthetic
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.