[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of clipping., /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: clipping.jpg (291 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
clipping.jpg
291 KB, 900x900
What do you think of clipping., /mu/?
>>
I think it's the last song of the night
I think don't forget to tip the bartender
>>
>>51804184
easy to avoid with the proper use of compressors.

I prefer parallel compression the most.
>>
ghosts on the avenue were talkin to themselves
>>
throw your guns up
throw your guns up
KRKRMJJSHJSNJSBJSBLKNWOHWNKSOGOSHIOUSHOSHWBOGSIO:HOUDGOJKDBSIOFDGHLNCBLOHDWLDHoFHB
>>
>>51804184
It's a very interesting idea, and the more musical moments are even catchy, but some of the harsher noise stuff literally hurts my ears. But I feel that way about harsh noise in general.
>>
>>51804184
>>51804204
/mu/ is so hung up on the one corny chorus of the album that they can't pay attention to anything else on it.
>>
>>51804356
I love that chorus though
and that song
and that album
it's fucking hilarious, whether /mu/ is in on the joke or not, I get it
>>
>>51804214
out of curiosity why would you compress something if its clipping? just turn down the level ya dingus!
>>
>>51804378
I think a lot of people don't realize that the album is satire and is a characterization of what they're talking about. I feel like it went over a lot people's heads, since pitchfork thought the album was literally about daveed being a drug dealer and doing all these things. I hope it didn't go over too many people heads, because it's not even a deep album. It's pretty obvious and they even give it away on ends. Basically explains the entire point of the album.
>>
>>51804184
nice album. i've seen clipping live a few weeks ago. great show + i got to talk to the singer after
>>
Pretty bad.
>>
>>51804184
Personally didn't get the love for "midcity" outside of a few songs and felt that "CLPPNG" was a stark improvement. Most of /mu/ either feels the exact opposite or thinks they're abysmal.

"Something They Don't Know" is also a neat bit of plunderphonics.
>>
getmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoneygetmoney
>>
best clipping. release incoming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_TXLZboobg
>>
can't get into it. keep trying to go back to their most recent album but find it hard to even get through. not really my thing
>>
>>51804356
Just one corny chorus? Right.
>>
>>
>>51804657
>implying kanye west isnt literally infinitley cornier but gets a pass because of his status
i am a gawd
>>
>>51804429
>pitchfork missing the point
What else is new
>>51804498
It's always the faggot trips who don't even explain their argument
>>51804560
I preferred CLPPNG to Midcity greatly.

I personally love this album to death and it's one of my HHAOTY contenders along with So It Goes, though Piñata will surely be the winner. Clipping is not only pushing boundaries with their music, but they are trailblazing this noise hop fusion in a much more interactive way than Death Grips. Not calling either one better, just different.

Look at the way in which they incorporate the noise. It portrays the sounds and cluttered, frantic nature of the tragedies of everyday life in lower income areas. And Daveed cuts through these beats like butter every time
>>
>>51804241
throw your guns up it you're gettin' ready for theKJFLKSAJDFLKADSJFLKASJDLKFAJDSFLKAFIAWIOEIFEPEPAFALKDFLKAJKAKLFUOAIWEIIWEW
>>
>>51804184
More innovative than Deaf Grapes.
And much more "listenable" while still retaining the noisy/experimental attitude. Daveed is a better rapper and the lyrics are on par (and sometimes better) than DG could muster.
>>
>>51804429
>I think a lot of people don't realize that the album is satire
Because it's not satire. They've even said several times that there's nothing satirical about their music. It's not even really characterization as much as it is emulation. They've said several times that they're all big rap nerds and love hip-hop, they're just trying to take the basic formulas and put their own twist on it to make an original product that they like the sounds of.

Personally I really like clipping. Like a few others in the thread I think CLPPNG is better than midcity, but it seems like the majority of the board disagrees with that. The only think I don't like about CLPPNG is that there's not as much noise as I was expecting, and I think that's where they're at their best. The intro to midcity caught me ears and got me hooked because it was such an interesting contrast between the jarring, cluttered noise and Daveed's rhythmic, tight raps. Not that I don't love tracks like Work Work or Dream, and those definitely have their place, but I really want more Or Die or Inside Out type tracks.

And their Hello remix is amazing for anyone who likes the noisy stuff.
https://soundcloud.com/clppng/hello
>>
>>51805245
so all of the noise and none of the aesthetic? lame
>>
>>51805311
All of the talent and none of the hype is more like it.
>>
>>51805311
>>51805332
>this back and forth
ugh
>>
>>51804790
He didn't make an argument, calm down /b/.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 277x372) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 277x372
>>51805311
You sound like someone who hasn't even heard the album, but based on reading this thread you think you know enough to make the decision not to listen to it.

Go kill yourself
>>
>>51805245
>More innovative than Deaf Grapes.
>>
>>51805429
That's your response? How about you lay down some examples?
ITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOESITGOES
>>
>>51805407
Lmao look up the definition of argument kiddo. If you think it's always a heated exchange of words you should just consider suicide. And how am I /b/ for asking someone to expound on their claim? That's probably the exact opposite of the cancerous memeland that /b/ is.
>>
>>51805423
>>51805429
>>51805449
shut up you fucking children
>>
>>51805456
ar·gu·ment
ˈärɡyəmənt/
noun
an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.
"I've had an argument with my father"
synonyms: quarrel, disagreement, squabble, fight, dispute, wrangle, clash, altercation, feud, contretemps, disputation, falling-out; More
a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.
"there is a strong argument for submitting a formal appeal"
synonyms: reasoning, justification, explanation, rationalization; More

He made no attempt to convince, he just answered the question about what he thought. Calm down /b/.
>>
>>51805456
There was also no exchange of opposing views because an expressed view was never attributed to OP for his view to oppose.

Kids who try to argue semantics these days..
>>
s h i t s u x

Seriously though, the lyrics are terrible, the rapper is a n00b, the production is just nails falling in an industrial parts facility.
>>
>>51804184
Mediocre album, only few tracks are stand-outs
Noise and other "le muh alternative hip hop" is create to cover the lack of good songs
>>
>>51805449
I don't have to, every single thing that DG has ever done is miles better than the music Clipping has made.

Clipping is just psuedo-"experimental" hip-hop that does little to no innovation in their sound whatsoever and is just babby's first noise-rap (putting merzbow-style noise on top of generically structured beats with samey Eminem-tier lyrics and flow is not innovative btw). All Death Grips did was push their sound even more further with every album they've made in their 4 years as a band.
>>
>>51805636
Arguing innovation when both bands are rehashing dalek techno animal and B L A C K I E

LOL
>>
>>51805636
Keep sucking MC Rides dick, I'm sure he loves it you DG fanboy.
There's no musical innovation in DeafGrapes, it's all rehashed bullshit.
>>
>>51804719
Kanye would, in this case, get a pass; that is because he's proven he has the capacity to make great music and great musical albums. Unlike Clipping; two albums both chock full of corny hooks and bars.

Meanwhile Kanye has around 6-7 LP's and on the particular album you mentioned it's widely known that he was attempting to focus almost solely on the production.
>>
>>51805694
You suck Kanye's dick more than Kim.
>>
>>51805682
>it's all rehashed bullshit
But that's Clipping you're talking about, idiot.
>>
File: 114 - pdq0WUX.gif (23 KB, 846x744) Image search: [Google]
114 - pdq0WUX.gif
23 KB, 846x744
>>51805779
>>
clippingtards btfo itt
>>
Story 2 is the best Clipping song.
>>
>>51805252
Maybe satire isn't the right word, but when I listen to album it makes me think of caricatures. Look at how they described the album themselves. They said it's music at the club you wish you weren't at, music of the streets you wish you could leave or something like that. It's definitely not literal, and they are portraying characters and giving some introspective sides to it. Our like you said, emulation, but I'm am interesting way.
>>
>>51804184
>>51804184
/Mu/ liked the first album
they didn't like the second album
Then Fantano said the second album was great
so now they love the second album
>>
Me and a friend heard it mentioned so much we got really blazed and listened to it on a road trip. Loved it, ended up going to see them open for Milo. They where the nicest guys ever, I got their album on vinyl and they all 3 signed it. It seemed like a bunch of people at the show had just come to see Busdriver or even just a cheap hip hop show, they had no idea what the fuck was going on. Amazing album, I cant wait until they make another.
>>
>>51805449
GETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEYGETMONEY
>>
Are you guys so autistic that you can't like both clipping and death grips? It's not a competition. By you guys logic you should only ever listen to what you think is the best album of all time and nothing else. Sure, clipping and death grips are the same spectrum of hip hop, but they're approach and sounds are completely different.
>>
>>51807037
I saw them live with busdriver in Atlanta and it was great. I loved how they barely sampled any noise and static and where using their boards to recreate right then and there. They are some of the most down to earth and friendly guys I've ever met. Daveed actually talked to me and some other dudes about death grips too. He said he views clipping as very different. He said what clipping does is very intentional and precise, and death grips too him is more raw and visceral.
>>
>>51806962
/mu/ likes CLPPNG way more than midcity... Also is it really fair to say everyone changed their mind after Fandango reviewed it when he did the review 1 week after the album's release? C'mon son
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.