[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is ''rockism''?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7
File: rock-map1.jpg (897 KB, 3401x2789) Image search: [Google]
rock-map1.jpg
897 KB, 3401x2789
What is ''rockism''?
>>
The memerap of rock music.
>>
i prefer cockism, myself
>>
a madeup term
>>
>>51734641
who made this chart and why do i want to strangle him
>>
A term that criticized people who write about and discuss music. It has nothing to do with rock music.
>>
>>51734732
>>51734689
It refers to people who think that all music should follow the rock format norms. That is rockism.
>>
>>51734754
Yeah, and those "rock format norms" don't even exist in rock music in the first place.
>>
>>51734760
>instrumentation
>bands as the primary artisst
>meaningful lyrics
>the album format
Yeah, they do.
>>
>>51734754
Or people who don't like shitty rap.
>>
>>51734933
That's what memerapers want you to believe.
>>
>>51734784
>>meaningful lyrics
>muh feels
>>
>>51734784
All of these are arbitrary and made up by journalists.
>>
>>51734954
Exactly.

>>51734956
Coined by journalists, and approved by musicologists. I don't see how this is really relevant considering majority of popular music genres were coined by journalists as well.

Are you an insecure rockist?
>>
>>51735001
>Coined by journalists, and approved by musicologists. I don't see how this is really relevant considering majority of popular music genres were coined by journalists as well.
Yeah, exactly. So it's stupid to blame musicians for it.
>>
A 2014 /mu/ meme.

>b-but [insert wikipedia article of some unknown faggot coining it in the 80's]

No one cared about it or even used it until this year.
>>
ITT: butthurt rockists

>muh geetahs
>muh albums
>muh real instruments
>muh feels
>>
>>51735050
no one says that
>>
>>51735029
Rockism refers to fans of music, somehow you seem to imply that musicians cannot be fans of whatever music they tend to be making.

>>51735031
>Nobody cared what X was until X was brought up
Nice fallacy dude.
>>
>>51734784
>instrumentation
Radiohead, Kraftwerk
Bob Dylan
>meaningful lyrics
Subjective
>the album format
Completely made up.

"Rockist" tendencies are made up by journalists and aren't actually a thing amongst musicians.
>>
>>51735062

>implying

The majority of rockists I know (think guys with thousands worth of muh geetahs) say exactly all those points

>LOL COMPUTAH MUSIC ISN'T REAL
>ELECTRONIC MUSIC HAS NO FEELINGS
>>
>>51735102
But you never go outside.
>>
>>51735062
>>51735117
Just look at /mu/
>>
>>51735067
>Rockism refers to fans of music, somehow you seem to imply that musicians cannot be fans of whatever music they tend to be making.
see
>>51735102

Musicians don't think this way. Only retard who go on /mu/ and write for [publication] do.
>>
>>51734706
>being this upset of a pretty well made chart
>>
>>51735089
>Radiohead, Kraftwerk
>Bob Dylan
I doubt many rockists even know who or what these bands are, and in cases they do, consider them to be "authentic rock acts".

>Subjective
>Completely made up.
Nice cop-out.

Rockism is a perfectly defined therm that applies to a certain demographic of rock music fanatics. To deny it's existence would be confirming one's own nature as an insecure rockist.
>>
>>51735137
>LOL COMPUTAH MUSIC ISN'T REAL
>ELECTRONIC MUSIC HAS NO FEELINGS
Rock musicians say this all the time though. Have you watched this year's Arcade Fire performance at Coachella?
>>
Ok, I'll take the bait; if this "rockism" thing is real, how exactly is it wrong?

How are cohesive albums a bad thing?

How are good lyrics a bad thing?

How is writing and performing your own material a bad thing?
>>
An amalgamation of "Rock" and "Autism".
>>
>>51735150
>I doubt many rockists even know who or what these bands are, and in cases they do, consider them to be "authentic rock acts".
Have you ever looked at any rock music publication ever.
>Nice cop-out.
Not really. Both points were on point. Top retort btw.
>Rockism is a perfectly defined therm that applies to a certain demographic of rock music fanatics. To deny it's existence would be confirming one's own nature as an insecure rockist.
Yeah that's exactly the point I was making good job. It has to do with fans and journalists, not musicians.
>>51735172
>Rock musicians say this all the time though
Yeah, Dave Ghrol and Gene Simmons. I didn't watch Arcade Fire's performance because I'm not a huge fan of their recent work but Reflektor was mostly electronic so they're retard if they said this.
>>
>>51735222
Whoops forgot my name.

>>51735209
>How are cohesive albums a bad thing?
Cohesive albums don't exist. Every album ever made is just a collection of songs sold in one package for commercial reasons. Albums are not a cohesive experience the way films and novels are. Thinking so is pure rockist autism.
>>
rockism is things like starting threads asking people to post classic techno albums

or asking people which aphex twin songs to listen to

some of you won't even know what i'm talking about
>>
>>51735222
>Have you ever looked at any rock music publication ever.
Yes, I am perfectly aware that good rock publications exist, at the same time there are plenty of shitty ones that promote rockist behavior as authentic rock music behavior.

>Both points were on point
Subjective. You see where I'm getting with this?

>It has to do with fans and journalists, not musicians
And what I am saying is that musicians often also happen to be fans.

>Yeah, Dave Ghrol and Gene Simmons
And with this we come to the obvious realization that rockism simply refers to shitty fans of often shitty rock music. When ones gets accused of rockist behavior they should not try his hardest to disprove of rockism's existence, but defend his own appearance or at the very best see the faults in their behavior and try to educate themselves for the better.

>>51735209
How is any of this a good thing?
>>
>>51735331
>good rock publications exist
[citation needed]
>at the same time there are plenty of shitty ones that promote rockist behavior as authentic rock music behavior.
Yeah, and they fawn over Radiohead, Dylan and Kraftwerk all the time.
>Subjective. You see where I'm getting with this?
No, because lyricism is subjective and the value of it is arbitrary.
>And what I am saying is that musicians often also happen to be fans.
Okay, but it's stupid to dismiss an artist because rockists like them.
>And with this we come to the obvious realization that rockism simply refers to shitty fans of often shitty rock music.
No, just no. The whole point of "rockism" is people who take "rockist" tendencies and apply them everywhere when it's never warranted, and this includes rock music (i.e "Led Zeppelin were plagarists" "[rock album] has too much filler on it" "[rock band] only had good singles and no good solid 10/10 albums" etc.].
>>
>>51734784
>instrumentation
lol
This exists in other genres
>meaningful lyrics
>the album format
>>
>>51734641
A buzzword used by butthut raptards
>>
>>51735451
>[citation needed]
>Yeah, and they fawn over Radiohead, Dylan and Kraftwerk all the time.
Haha, epic.

>lyricism is subjective and the value of it is arbitrary
Rockism as a mindset is subjective. Giving certain lyricism higher priority than it deserves is indicative of rockist behavior.

>it's stupid to dismiss an artist because rockists like them
I don't dismiss them if their music is good. I dismiss their views and beliefs however.

>people who take "rockist" tendencies and apply them everywhere when it's never warranted
see
>>51734947

>Led Zeppelin were plagarists
This is true.

>[rock album] has too much filler on it
This is also true, bands like Queen work better in compilations than on albums.

>[rock band] only had good singles and no good solid 10/10 albums
Also true, see above. Of course rockists will disprove of this because singles and compilations are a bad thing and the album format is the go to release format for all good musicians from classical to jazz to electronic to avant-garde performers.

>>51735493
>This exists in other genres
Did I claim something different?

We are arguing fans of music genres here, not music genres. Pay attention to the class junior.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 625x626
>>51735247
>Cohesive albums don't exist. Every album ever made is just a collection of songs sold in one package for commercial reasons. Albums are not a cohesive experience the way films and novels are. Thinking so is pure rockist autism.
>>
>>51735566
>Haha, epic.
Top retort
>Rockism as a mindset is subjective. Giving certain lyricism higher priority than it deserves is indicative of rockist behavior.
>I don't dismiss them if their music is good. I dismiss their views and beliefs however.
Good to see we're on the same page.
>>Led Zeppelin were plagarists
>This is true.
>
>>[rock album] has too much filler on it
>This is also true, bands like Queen work better in compilations than on albums.
>
>>[rock band] only had good singles and no good solid 10/10 albums
>Also true, see above. Of course rockists will disprove of this because singles and compilations are a bad thing and the album format is the go to release format for all good musicians from classical to jazz to electronic to avant-garde performers.
Nice rockism.
>>
>>51735606
lol

>>51735566
>>51735685
No, but seriously, I don't feel like getting into the Zeppelin thing. I don't care enough and I've already discussed this in depth. You can look in the archive for the one thread where the mod got butthurt I was going against the /mu/ hivemind and deleted my posts. As for everything else, you're basically saying the same things I did. Compilations are released solely for commercial reasons, as are "proper albums" but rockists act like the "proper albums" are cohesive works like films and novels when this is never and has never been the case.
>>
>>51735770

yeah I guess GKMC was a collection of random songs that just happened to form a linear story
>>
>>51735770
Is UK Garage rockist?
>>
>>51735685
>Top retort
You too.

>Good to see we're on the same page.
Indeed.

>Nice rockism.
And this ladies and gentlemen is how we use a word that makes us butthurt outside of it's intended context in hopes of turning it into a buzzword, in attempts to make it lose any actual value, and render it a pointless critique due to it's off-beat usage. Nice memerap behavior dude!

Case closed.
>>
>>51735802
GKMC isn't a narrative at all. It's just songs. That's why you heard Swimming Pools and Backstreet Freestyle on the radio. Kendrick had no intention of people autistically listening to it and treating it as a cohesive experience. "Concept albums" are the biggest myth of all time in music.

>>51735829
Music can't be rockist. Only the people who talk about music and write about music can be.

>>51735851
see
>>51735770
>>
>>51735860
If an album is just one 50 minute track, is that still just for commercial purposes? You can't play that on the radio.
>>
>>51735860

What about albums that don't have singles?
>>
>>51735912
Then the album is one 50 minute track and likely isn't going to receive much airplay. I don't see what this has to do with anything I said.
>>51735936
Then an artist released a collection of songs known in the marketing world as an album and happened to not release any singles. Again, I don't see what this has to do with anything I said.
>>
Aw the eternal rockist vs poptimist fight
So cute
>>
Name ten genres that are predominately singles-based.
>>
>>51736050
all jazz subgenres from 1890 to 1940
>>
>>51736050
Disco
Hip-Hop
House
Techno
UK Garage
Dubstep
Drum n Bass
Jungle
Breakbeat Hardcore
Grime
>>
>>51736050
Name one genre that is predominantly based around "cohesive albums".

HINT: Rock isn't one of them. Neither are jazz or progressive rock. Classical music isn't cohesive either (see: Ode to Joy vs the rest of Symphony 9)
>>
File: dhsfgh.jpg (334 KB, 1440x611) Image search: [Google]
dhsfgh.jpg
334 KB, 1440x611
This thread is condensed fucking autism and contains a multitude of children arguing pointlessly over the internet.

/thread
>>
>>51736101
>Name one genre that is predominantly based around "cohesive albums".
Whatever genre The Protomen are.
>>
File: Untitled.png (66 KB, 645x512) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
66 KB, 645x512
>>51736029
>>
>>51736119
>This thread is condensed fucking autism
says the rockist
>and contains a multitude of children arguing pointlessly over the internet.
Nobody is arguing ITT. This is pure discussion, which includes some debate. There is no hostility or "arguing", just an exchange of thoughts.
>>51736149
Protomen's songs are just as independent from one another as any other artist. you dropped your classy hat btw,
>>51736161
>Antz to Tel-Aviv, Antz to Tel-Aviv. The musically illiterate goyim are waking up.
>>
>>51736220
Antz what are your favorite genres of music?
>>
>>51736097

Seven (arguably eight) of those are subgenres of electronic music.
>>
File: 1388156289188.jpg (13 KB, 265x297) Image search: [Google]
1388156289188.jpg
13 KB, 265x297
>>51734641
>The Velvet Underground
>pop rockstars
>>
>>51736608
"electronic" isn't a genre

nice rockism
>>
>>51736649
Hey baby when can you ravage my boypussy?
>>
File: b8 3.jpg (45 KB, 432x370) Image search: [Google]
b8 3.jpg
45 KB, 432x370
>>51736649

>"electronic" isn't a genre
>>
File: ok.jpg (7 KB, 206x207) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
7 KB, 206x207
>>51736671
>>
>>51736685
Insightful post, changed my life.
>>
>>51736685
Is string music a genre?
>>
Rockism is the worship of symbols imbued with perceived authenticity.

Examples for rockism in various genres:
- Hip hop: underdog meme; "from the hood", crime, drugs
- Bleep: vinyl culture
- Metal: trve kvlt
- Classical: suits, dresses
- Indie Rock / Emo: muh sensitivity

Basically rockism is the worship of tropes or memes in music. Every genre has its rockists and non-rockists. Some more, some less.

It is my hypothesis that the unwashed masses generally prefer rockism i.e. a high trope or meme density in their music.
>>
gene did u do nbbmn
>>
>>51736948
>- Bleep: vinyl culture
>- Classical: suits, dresses
lolwut
>>
>>51736970
Not this year :(
>>
>>51737405
:(

find anything cool regardless

think last year was better for metal tbh
>>
>>51736948
>Every genre has its rockists and non-rockists.
What a liberal thing to say.
>>
>>51737412
If I had money to spend on cassettes from Europe I would have heard some really cool raw/noisy obscure stuff. i have to stick to excerpts on youtube because no one uploads these releases.
>>
>>51737642
think thats a common problem

even the most rare stuff ever has a few songs of it on youtube
>>
>>51736716

Let me guess, you're following the amateur mindset of "If rock has electric guitars than rock must be electronic music!"
>>
>>51738184
No, it's just that electronic music is a way to produce music, and equating it to a genre is just as silly as equating string and acoustic music to a genre. Call it what it is - electronica.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.