[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What good documentaries are there to watch that relate to music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: breadcrumb trail.jpg (28 KB, 550x309) Image search: [Google]
breadcrumb trail.jpg
28 KB, 550x309
What good documentaries are there to watch that relate to music? I really enjoyed watching Breadcrumb Trail and want to watch others.

ITT: recommend and discuss documentaries of all kinds, examples: documentaries on specific artists or on music theory.
>>
if your a fan of arthur russell 'Wild Combination' is a great documentary
>>
This Is Spinal Tap
>>
File: jeff movies.jpg (159 KB, 565x800) Image search: [Google]
jeff movies.jpg
159 KB, 565x800
a bunch of these
>>
File: dan.gif (123 KB, 428x276) Image search: [Google]
dan.gif
123 KB, 428x276
>>51564643
watch the devil and daniel johnston

great movie about a great musician
>>
devil and daniel johnston
filth and the fury
>>
>>51564643
Until the Light Takes Us.
>>
Here's my favorite docs besides Breadcrumb Trail, which is great:
Such Hawks, Such Hounds (Stoner/Psychedelic Rock)
Live From Tokyo (Experimental acts from Tokyo)
The Past Is A Grotesque Animal (of Montreal)
People Who Do Noise (Portland noise scene)
>>
>>51564673
Just read up about him, I'll make sure to check out the documentary.
>>51564706
The trailer wasn't too compelling but I'll give it a go.
>>51564708
Thanks for the image, saved.
>>51564719
Seems great from the trailer, I'll definitely watch it.
>>51564730
Filth and the Fury looks fun, thanks for the recommendation.
>>51564747
Spooky, I'm intrigued. I'll give it a watch.
>>51564827
Thanks for the list.
>>
>>51564827
people who do noise was a great doc!
>>
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco

Also Mistaken For Strangers.
>>
>>51564643
My favorite by far:

Step Across the Border
We Don't Care About Music Anyway
>>
The story of anvil, great doc, highly recommend it
>>
>>51564848
I honestly dont know if watching the documentary first would be better or not. As a huge fan, it certainly made me appreciate his music so much more. Arthur Russell is a hard one to get into since hes totally unique. No one has ever really sounded like him. Moreover, he has touched on so many genres. He does everything from chamber neo-classic music, to disco/early house, to avant-garde, to outsider electronic pop, and even some folk/country stuff. Regardless, I have gotten people who only like heavy rock really into his shit simply because he is just an outstanding unique musician and artist. IDK what you typically like, but can recommend some albums to start based of your taste if you like
>>
>>51564848
Spinal Tap is a classic film
>>
I had no idea about that. Cool I'm gonna watch it this weekend. thanks
>>
Some Kind of Monster

I never looked at Metallica much until I saw it. It's basically what you DON'T want your band to become.
>>
>>51564882 here

also going to add The Shield Around the K and 77 Boa Drum the Movie.
>>
The Scorsese on George Harrison was good
>>
It Might Get Loud, with Jimmy Page and Jack White
>>
Nas: Time is Illmatic and Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton.
>>
>>51564909
I like most music, apart from the deeper experimental stuff like noise on its own.

I see noise as something that should be used to accommodate, like noise rock. An analogy would be to consider noise as salt or pepper, on their own they're "bad" (bad meaning I dislike them), but when used to enhance a dish, it improves it.

As for documentaries on the more experimental music scene, I'm very open to watching stuff on it.

>>51564934
I intend to watch a large amount of the films and documentaries suggested. I've got quite a bit of spare time at the moment.

>>51564879
>>51564905
>>51564976
>>51564985
>>51564992
>>51564997
Thanks for the contributions.
>>
>>51564848
You've never heard of Spinal Tap?

Get on that, cutie
>>
Autoluminescent: Rowland S. Howard

documentary about the influential and overlooked Birthday Party guitarist
>>
>>51565040
>>51565065
Much appreciated, thanks.
>>
A Tale of Two Johns

It's a doc about They Might Be Giants. It's a lot of fun, but comments on how their lyrics are often incredibly depressing or politically-charged. Features the likes of Michael McKean (of Spinal Tap), Janeanne Garofolo and I think Andy Richter reading some of their more dark stuff just monotone. So awesome.
>>
Laibach's documentaries are excellent.

Victory Under The Sun
Predictions Of Fire
A Film From Slovenia
The Divided States Of America(though this one basically amounts to an hour's worth of mocking their US audience)
>>
>>51565041
>An analogy would be to consider noise as salt or pepper

I interviewed Ron Lessard from RRRecords and he said that he doesn't consider noise to be music, but a separate art form. He considers it separate so as not to prescribe traditional musical qualities to noise.
>>
>>51565041
Well I am a ambient/noise fan, but arthur ruseell never came close to that scene. Honestly, it may be better to watch the doc so you know what hes all about, but at the same time, the doc would be better if you actually got into him and really enjoyed his stuff

World of Echo is generally regarded has his most critically accalimed music. This is his experiments into the world of dub. Its absolutely amazing, but I dont know if I would start there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7qqdu_hqFw&list=ALBTKoXRg38BDvXC-bX8dMo-7spJn7WGBO

Another Though is probably a better starting point. More of his electronic-outsider pop shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mMCBZzk98I&list=PL92xkD8zsBsZf42BmVTsvbRmz9XpqWGA4

24-24 music under Dinosaur L was his earlier dance stuff. If you like dance this is absolutely essential stuff. you wont find better disco/early house
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpgoF9-F4tc&list=PLaAQ2rQEIGEjd5dIv0YxpjnqcazjGwEqJ

That being said, Arthur Russell was never really satisfied with his music and never was able to release much of his stuff back in the day. Most of the music has been released post-humously. All the details are included in the doc. But I must implore you to discover his music. As previously stated, he is definitely one of THE most unique musicians and songwriters of the 20th century. You wont find anything else like him. Hope you fall in love as much as I have!!!
>>
>>51565041
oh also WIld Combination is generally the first Authur Russell song that everyone likes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y7G1Jig7Jk
>>
File: d-boon-leaping-1984.jpg (117 KB, 500x539) Image search: [Google]
d-boon-leaping-1984.jpg
117 KB, 500x539
We Jam Econo for fucking sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmKGusadv08
>>
Dig! is fucking excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSm5optFVUw

>this fucking scene
>you will never fight your band on stage
>>
>>51565136
Interesting, he makes a bold point.

>>51565153
>>51565201
Thank you for the information. I quite like Wild Combination, I'll surely delve into and explore his music.

>>51565260
What a great scene lol.

>>51565126
>>51565132
>>51565253
Thanks.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.