[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All the music from the places crossed out has just vanished from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
File: 1415300780331.gif (419 KB, 2000x1100) Image search: [Google]
1415300780331.gif
419 KB, 2000x1100
All the music from the places crossed out has just vanished from your library.

How much do you have left?
>>
hhahahahahaha FOOl!

Iceland isn't crossed out! my Sigur Ros remains
>>
>>51445739
>>
>>51445739
2 or 3 albums, maybe
>>
I still have my Icelandic music <3
>>
>>51445761
WOW!

One artist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!
>>
somewhere around 130 albums
>>
I've got some canadian artists, some from asia and probably some from eastern europe too
>>
>>51445739
>russia not crossed out
nothing of value was lost
>>
godspeed, arcade fire, the unicorns
i'm good
>>
189 songs in Japanese
362 songs in Spanish
13 songs in Portuguese

Didn't bother counting number artists, but almost definitely 1 album minimum per artist.
>>
>>51445739
Some Canadian stuff, and CSS. end of list
>>
>>51445908
Japan is specifically crossed out, you goon.
>>
>>51445908
All of those are crossed out
>>
What is the best piece of music to come out of Africa? Asia? Are these places just cultural shitholes?
>>
>>51445976
There are countries there you know, and there is lots of great music from each
>>
>>51445934
don't call me a goon, mong
>>
>>51445739
Is Germany crossed out?

If so I only have one artist not crossed out
>>
>>51446000
nice trips, ya wog
>>
>>51445976
only the best music
>>
>>51445996
Apparently no one listens to any of it, and people can't even provide a place to start when asked for one.
>>
>>51446028
>Is Germany crossed out?

Yes
>>
a lot of kpop
>>
Both DFA1979 albums.

That's it.
>>
File: folder.jpg (204 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
204 KB, 1000x1000
>>51446075
Try being a tad more specific then.
>>
>>51446075
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iorfsFAJJsI
Tinariwen is pretty rad
>>
>>51446104
Literally anything worth listening to.

Don't rec that shit. You wouldn't introduce someone to north american music with Jimmy Crack Corn.

What is actually worth listening to from these places?
>>
>>51446127
>implying that's not worth listening to
>>
File: 1412551702076.jpg (261 KB, 882x1210) Image search: [Google]
1412551702076.jpg
261 KB, 882x1210
Well at least OP didn't take my precious, precious Bieber discog.
>>
>>51446127
so you're looking for Chinese pop or something?
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 509x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 509x512
>>51445739
I have Bog je Srbin
>>
>>51446234

Something that's more art than an artifact. I would never casually listen to someone play traditional chinese folk music. I wouldn't really ever listen to any countries traditional folk music.

Just hold the music up to the standards you'd hold north american music up to.
>>
>>51446189
Fuck yeah, I can see the head of his dick. He's got a chub goin on in there.

I'm off to /hm/ to post this in the jb thread.
>>
>>51445960
South America/Central America are not crossed out, and I only included Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish (not from Spain) in that song count.

>>51445934
Yeah, that said, I did miss Japan. my bad I guess
>>
>>51445739

I still have deadmau5's entire discography, I think I'll be fine.
>>
>>51446277
and Pink Guy
>>
>>51446282
Check out Mr. I-Suck-The-Cock-Of-Globalized-Monoculture herr
>>
File: vampire.jpg (137 KB, 850x554) Image search: [Google]
vampire.jpg
137 KB, 850x554
>>51446075
>Apparently no one listens to any of it

>The band members met while enrolled at Columbia University, beginning with a rap collaboration between Koenig and Tomson. They bonded over a shared love of punk rock and African music, and Koenig toured with The Dirty Projectors during a period of experimentation with African music, inspiring the band to incorporate world sounds into their earliest work

yeah no youre just a sheltered suburbanite white boy
>>
>>51446341
Have fun jukin to yer guqin
>>
>>51446347
I'm asking for african recs.

Unshelter me anon, my soul is pure and my body is ready.
>>
>>51446075
Check out the 'rough guide to x' albums on spotify. Has everything from desert blues to gypsy music
>>
A couple African and Middle Eastern albums, some stuff from that lesser Europe, Xenakis, some Russian music, obviously some Indian and maybe some Chinese, some Brazilian and some other South American music, some Iceland, obviously a bunch from the Caribbean (how could you not cross out Jamaica?) and since I'm Canadian, a fair amount of music from there.

I find the problem with a lot of "world" music is it's usually just English music styles played by different nationalities. Like if you want to get into African music, all the most popular stuff is quite similar to music you could get in America or Europe.

Also, there was no point crossing out Australia, they have less musical creativity than many countries you didn't cross out.
>>
14 albums
7 from the Philippines
2 from Egypt/Saudia Arabia
5 from South America
>>
why cross out the entire anglosphere except canada, theres plenty of canadian music
>>
>>51446378

>>51446397
>>
>>51446378
Fela Kuti, Femi Kuti, the list goes on...
>>
>>51446282
I hold them to different standards, though. North America has shit folk music.
>>
>>51446347
>posts /mu/core Amerifat indie rock band that had some congos in a song once
>calls others sheltered suburbanite
>>
>>51446378
Fela Kuti, Ali Farka Touré, Youssou N'Dour, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Paul Simon, the list goes on...
>>
File: low.jpg (1 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
low.jpg
1 KB, 100x100
>>51446436
>pic related

>>51446446
That's the point you fucktard. How dumb can you possibly be? Even those morons bonded over a common love of African music because that's how pleb it is.
>>
>>51446282
>wouldn't really ever listen to any countries traditional folk music.

Then we're done here.
>>
>>51446471
So there's no good modern music being made in these countries? If not we're not done here.

I would listen to classical music made in any of these countries, but folk music just isn't very good. If those sounds were made by a band in portland would you listen to that album? It's cool if you're interested in chinese culture, but that's not what I'm after.
>>
>>51446524
>taking pride in being a Neanderthal
You must be American.
>>
>>51446524
>So there's no good modern music being made in these countries?

what you qualify as 'modern' music is just western musc

>but folk music just isn't very good

...jesus h christ

>If those sounds were made by a band in portland would you listen to that album?

well this band of white people makes world music influenced by various parts of the world so yes. goat are fairly popular too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xp_9FSzV8M
>>
>>51446564
What makes me a neanderthal? I think that Chinese shit has value anthropologically but put that shit up against anyone on the /mu/ general and it's a TKO no question. Bar absolutely no one. If that album was added to the /mu/ general it would instantly be the worst album on the list by a wide margin.

Btw, the femi kuti recommendation was pretty good.
>>
>>51446524
It makes me feel like an uncultured swine to say this, but I agree with you. Music has come so far in the last hundred years or so, and traditional music really doesn't hold up for casual listening. I mean, there's something to be said for visiting these countries and seeing the music performed live, but I'd never blast it on my iPod while I'm out walking the dog or whatever.
>>
>>51446613
What sort of music do you consider top-tier? Green Day? Charli XCX? Bachman-Turner Overdrive?

You can't possibly be listening to non-pop music if these are actually your opinions and not just an elaborate ruse.
>>
>>51446625
why wouldn't you listen to something like this for causal listening though (assuming you like folk music)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II3SuAnQmDE
>>
>>51446663
Been listening to a lot of Autre Ne Veut and Fly Lo lately, but I mostly listen to rock. Halcyon Digest has been a staple for a long time.

I kind of feel like I'm just not being heard out. That or you people genuinely think gurkin music is great music. I just want to hear good music. I don't care where it comes from.

If I got in a different mindset and I wanted to listen to a different cultures music I could sit down and listen to some of this stuff from a more anthropological mindset and find that gurkin stuff interesting, but if pitchfork BNM'd that gurkin stuff I'd raise an eyebrow or two.

Like this is the oldest song ever known:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBhB9gRnIHE
That's very interesting right? But would you throw this on your ipod and jam out to it? Does that mean you don't appreciate other cultures?
>>
>>51445739
Still a decent number of mehtal bands.
>>
>>51446785
Actually maybe this was a bad example because some of this is actually kind of cool
>>
>>51446785
wtf is gurkin

would there be anything wrong with wanting to do that? i thought it was quite relaxing, personally
>>
>>51446785
I might, I dunno.

Here's some stuff that I definitely would, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K4XpzXYAWs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KQW541ibHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RSJIwgARGk

I love gurkin stuff, though.
>>
>>51445822
wow
>>
>>51445739
There would be like 10 artists left
>>
>>51446893
Best post in the thread. Thanks
>>
I still have all my Russian and Serbian post punk, so I guess I'm alright.
>>
>>51446893
some good shit there anon
>>
>>51446613
>it would instantly be the worst album on the list by a wide margin.

You are a hell of a pleb if you think that.
>>
>>51446785
I get your point but it all boils down to preference dude, there are plenty of people here who clearly and staunchly disagree.

I think you're missing a bit of the point, too. It's not that the culture is a stamp of quality, it's that we don't often consider non euro-centric music. Maybe a jab at just how dominant the stuff is in the western cultures a good deal of us are likely from.

On the flipside, many of these countries have not experienced the prosperity and the consumer culture that has allowed popular music to develop and thrive in countries X'd out(Canada ought to be one of them because plenty of music comes from there.). And while you may not listen to folk music from elsewhere on the fly, you'll see influences from non-european cultures in the music you and I listen to.

That alone is enough to know that at least some good shit comes out of music from these places.
>>
Well, let's see. Sepultura remains.

Also los redondos:
http://youtu.be/KdqGpxIakgE
http://youtu.be/nvWAyJsTTKA

And some tango:
http://youtu.be/tZ_4FBQvL7Y
http://youtu.be/7ktnZR2C8Ds
>>
I still get to keep all of my afro-beat and MPB, so I'm cool. Gonna miss a lot of soul, jazz and rock music, but whatever
>>
>>51445739
bout a dozen
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.