[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the best prog album released in the last 10 years You're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 19
This is the best prog album released in the last 10 years

You're welcome to try to prove me wrong but you will fail
>>
>>51432125
why do you view music as a competition
>>
>tfw 2003 was 20 years ago
>>
File: mekong delta.jpg (321 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
mekong delta.jpg
321 KB, 1024x1024
>>
File: cover.jpg (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
53 KB, 500x500
>>51432125
yeah, it's good
>>
/thread
>>
No way man p4k gave it a 2/10 :^)
>>
The production is fucking shit, like most other TMV albums. Seriously, Omar is a horrible producer, and whatever they told Rubin to do with Deloused was equally terrible. So much wasted potential.
>>
>>51432349
what's wrong with the production?
>>
>>51432125
It's cheesy as fuck. Terrible album.
Even Steven WIlson garbage is better.
>>
File: Ohyeah.jpg (7 KB, 239x211) Image search: [Google]
Ohyeah.jpg
7 KB, 239x211
>>
>>51432349
fucking kidding me mate? frances the mute is probably the best produced volta album. it has a harsh dry pallate that brings to mind late 70's prog/punk acts and is probably one of the most interesting juxtapositions between the orchestrated archetechtures of the songs and the grainy compression

It's equivalent to a alejandro jodorowsky movie filmed in stocky film grain
>>
>>51432466
I don't know, how about you listen to the fist 30 seconds of the album and tell me it isn't a harsh, jumbled mess of random shit.

>inb4 that's what makes it great

Nope.

>>51432618
Are you talking about Krautrock? Cause they actually effectively use the dry sonic spectrum, unlike TMV, you think shoving as much random shit into a tin can souding recording might actually sound good. There aren't many artists who I'd define as pretensious wank, as I hate the term, but TMV are it.
>>
File: cover.jpg (239 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
239 KB, 900x900
Well that was easy.

Still love Frances the Mute btw
>>
>>51432125
Bedlam is superior as well, but Pink Lemonade is just all around a better album. Much more accessible too, which is a plus in my book.
>>
>>51432125
>what is Blomljud
>what is Bantam to Behemoth
>what is The Mountain
>>
>>51433948
>what is
oh I know
it's shit
>>
File: 1416019456196.png (7 KB, 339x343) Image search: [Google]
1416019456196.png
7 KB, 339x343
>>51434036
>>
TFW see TMV opening for System of a Down (with Hella actually) and people boo'd through all of Hella and TMV's set. Leave before System takes the stage
>>
>>51432146
this

>>51433207
>pretentious wank
that just makes you sound very uneducated. I'm glad you hate the term but you use it on a legitimately creative and expressive band so you're wrong.

>>51433248
>Bedlam is superior
I have no idea how anyone can feel this way.
>>
>>51433248
Checking out Pink Lemonade now. Hope it delivers.
>>
>>51432247
this
>>
>>51432125
it's okay, but Deloused is better and half of it is trash

>>51432247
This is my pick

>>51432502
>spastic ADHD garbage
Cool strings on parts of that tho

>>51433239
That is easily their weakest full album and even their best wouldn't rank near the top

>>51433248
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA god fucking no that was shite
>>
>>51434900
Really? I think it's a more complete and immediate experience, and those are very important elements to music in my book. Can see why you'd prefer Frances, it's more conceptually realized.
>>
>>51435139
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA god fucking no that was shite
um
what about it didn't you like?
its my AOTY
>>
File: MOON-600px.jpg (102 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
MOON-600px.jpg
102 KB, 600x600
Frances the Mute has too much filler to be the best prog album of the last 10 years.

The correct answer is this.
>>
>>51435198
to save me from typing it out
http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Gallifrey/rating60777880
>>
File: battles-mirrored.jpg (187 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
battles-mirrored.jpg
187 KB, 1000x1000
I'll start
>>
>>51435248
that album sounds uninspired

no new ideas

wannabe-70s prog
>>
Can you faggots say what band / album it is when you post a picture of the album? I can't check any of this shit out because you autistic retards won't post the fucking album names.
>>
>>51435182
I can't put my finger on why I dont really like that album... I like the song Goliath the rest just does nothing for me

>>51435248
I enjoy every second of Frances but a lot of it sounded like filler to me at first as well.
>>
>>51435248
>Frances the Mute has too much filler to be the best prog album of the last 10 years.
This is pretty much my thoughts exactly. I've said it here before, but it feels like they took Deloused, cut the actual song material in half, and then filled the rest of the length up with junk,

And on the topic of Raven, I love it, but I don't think an album that is so focused on revivalism could ever be considered the greatest modern album
>>
>>51435315
>what is image search

or alternatively

>using a phone for browsing an argentinian origami wrestling discussion club
>>
>>51435315
reverse image search
>>
>>51435315
improve your musical culture arsecunt
>>
Going to see antemasque tonight. Anybody know what to expect?
>>
>>51435308

That was the entire point of the album. It was polished to a mirror fucking shine, though. In and of itself, the album is flawless.

If you want to say that's bullshit, then I'd have to agree with >>51432502
Fables of the Sleepless Empire is a goddamn feat of music the like of which the world has never seen the like of which
>>
>>51435380
What's easier. Post the album name if it isn't part of the album cover, or have me reverse image search?

Fucking idiots.
>>
>>51435415
Well most of these albums are pretty well known so it's not as if it's necessary to type out the title

>>51435410
Except gimmick metal has been done thousands of times and Fables isn't anywhere near the best
>>
>>51435395
it will be meh until the 15-20 minutes jam on Providence that will make you miss TMV even more
>>
File: GSL126_cover_temp_461.png (507 KB, 461x461) Image search: [Google]
GSL126_cover_temp_461.png
507 KB, 461x461
someone explain my why all the hate on this
>>
ITT: there are no modern prog musicians besides TMV and Wilson. Also, everyone is a faggot.
>>
>>51435545
Wilson posted twice, TMV posted twice. Other artists outnumber both. What's your point?
>>
>>51435540
Volta is shit outside of Deloused and bits of their other albums. That has like two good songs
>>
>>51435466
By not posting album titles you're essentially saying "I have no interest in outsiders joining in on my super great secret conversation nyeeeh."

I know plenty of bands/ albums/ whatever just by the album covers, but i'm trying to expand my knowledge and it's super fucking annoying to tineye 200 images a day because no one on this board has the common courtesy to type their shitty band names.
>>
>>51435576
That while other artists outnumbere both, the loudest idiots will always dismiss everything and point to both. The discussion always revolves around them.
>>
>>51435609
Ok that's nice dude, but you're not going to change anyone's habits by typing out paragraphs, especially when the search button is fucking integrated in the site.
>>
>>51435627
Well Wilson is undeniably the most important figure in modern prog so it's no real doubt that he's always going to be in the conversation, and Volta are prog for special snowflakes who don't really like prog so they always get posted, but most actual prog fans don't really care for them

Anyway we shouldn't be bickering, what modern prog bands do you like?
>>
>>51435594
>Meccamputechture
>Days of Baphomet
>Tetragrammaton
>Two good songs
>>
File: 545454.jpg (49 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
545454.jpg
49 KB, 330x330
>modern prog htread
>no recent Opeth releases
>>
>>51435674
I haven't heard it in a while but according to my iTunes the ones I liked were the first track and Vermicide. I just really think TMV are hellishly overrated, as a band, and that Deloused is the only real thing you need to hear from them, the rest of their material just got progressively weirder for no real gain
>>
>>51435722
I only like MYYH, Still Life and parts of BWP
>>
>>51435722
Because they're just not that good or unique anymore. Don't get me wrong I dig Pale Communion a bit, but if it was released by any other name no one would give a shit. I'm happy they can still put out good music but they haven't done anything amazing since Ghost Reveries, and haven't done anything god-tier since BWP or Still Life
>>
>>51435594
What? Are you some sort of fucking retard? Deloused is unquestionably their best album, but saying Amputechture only has "like two good songs" is ridiculous.

Now, Bedlam only has like two good songs.
>>
>>51435909
>Are you some sort of fucking retard?
I'm sorry that I like my bands to have unique progression as opposed to just repeating themselves with ever-increasing levels of stupid "artsy" weird sections.
>>
>>51435664
Ok, here goes:

Wanzwa is pretty cool.
Thank You Scientist had a catchy prog album that I really liked.
Kekal's stuff is very diverse.
And The Odious for best prog-metal/core group.
>>
>>51435909
>Metatron
>Wax Simulacra
>Goliath
>Ouroboros
>two good songs
>>
>>51435609
I agree with this guy

>>51435634
is some courtesy really that hard?
>>
>>51435936
So you just admitted you're a retard.
>>
Higly underrated album. Also the last studio collaboration between Omar and Thomas Pridgen
>>
>>51435996
If that's what you want to gain from that post then okay

>>51435977
Do Volta fans seriously just blindly think everything they do is great? I seriously fail to see how any of their albums past Deloused have fans, and that Bedlam has anyone saying it's anything except total crap
>>
>>51436042
Trolling and being a dick aside, I do agree with you that about Bedlam. Wasn't the whole album inspired by a night they played with a Ouja board and summoned a spirit who called himself 'Goliath'? I swear I remember reading that somewhere, and it was what made me want to listen to the album as soon as I could...and I was vehemently disappointed.
>>
>>51436042
no, I dont think everything they do is great, I skip a lot of songs when I listen to their albums

> I seriously fail to see how any of their albums past Deloused have fans, and that Bedlam has anyone saying it's anything except total crap

100% subjective opinion that doesn't need to be debated
>>
>>51436098
>>51436106
I personally think that Volta are just such a one-trick pony band, but they throw in all this unnecessary weird shit so their fans are convinced they're amazing and innovative. Why they are the most famous modern prog band I will never understand
>>
>>51435257
well I can't really even start to express how childish that was. Heh.

I don't think they're perfect, but random? Nope. Silly? A bit. Extremely well composed? Yeah. Lyrics? Great. Singing? Awesome (though may be cringe inducing if you have had a serious aversion towards that style because of it's proximity to pop punk and '00s faux emo.)

Regardless, as stupid as most of the output from those genre's seem they were still validated in a lot of ways and CIM really capitalizes on those aspects. Not to mention the album is very consistently exciting and enjoyable.
>>
>>51436139
uh I don't think I understand how you could literally mean this
they have alot to say and their music is expressive and consistently enjoyable to me
>>
>>51436673
It's a childish response to a childish album. It is in no way well composed - when they're not stealing from TMV they're being unnecessarily quirky for quirk's sake and it doesn't make for enjoyable listening. Obviously it's just my opinion but a lot of people share it, they are in no sense the best in their little corner of modern prog, let alone prog as a whole
>>
>>51436790
I personally see this post as obligatory contrarianism, but honestly it's an objectively entertaining album and on the more subjective side of things it really, really strikes me as a complete and intuitively realized piece of art.
>>
>>51436815
>obligatory contrarianism
Dude did you read my review of their first album? I'm not just being contrarian, Pink Lemonade was one of the biggest disappointments of the year. "Objectively entertaining" is a subjective opinion. Do you find those youtube cover bands entertaining? I know some people do, but I find them very, very uncomfortable. Pink Lemonade made me feel exactly the same. I'm trying to be open here, I can accept that you enjoy it, but as long as you can see why I see it as one of the sloppiest and most schizophrenically indecisive albums of the year

The fact that you call the album that contains "Dinosaur Boss Battle" as "realised art" does make me chuckle a bit though.
>>
>>51436921
Kidding, right? Cuz all I get from this comment, again, is obligatory contrarianism.
On the other hand, you are really freaking out about this album and honestly comparing it to random youtube shit is totally fucking asinine.
>>
>>51436790
>>51436921
What prog albums do you love the most?
>>
>>51436960
What are you getting from my opinion that is contrarianism? I hate to do the whole "do you know who I am" bullshit but have you actually read any of my other reviews? Do you know me? Because if you did you would know that I am a massive fan of the material surrounding Closure and I gave a positive review to their debut album just weeks before Pink Lemonade dropped. It's a childish and stupid slop of messy compositions and quirky nonsense, with some admittedly cool parts spliced in, but all of the good moments feel so strange when the rest of the album is packed to the brim with near-autistic quirkiness. I was seriously upset when I heard it, because I was hoping for big things from those guys. And the fact is that I'm not the only one with this opinion. All the RYM reviews except one call it weaker than the debut, and I know people personally who hated it more than I did

Go listen to Children of Nova and seriously tell me that Closure have anything on them
>>
File: 431534513425345.jpg (122 KB, 342x380) Image search: [Google]
431534513425345.jpg
122 KB, 342x380
>>51435257
>AFI - Sing the Sorrow
>5 stars

Yeah, teenager detected. BTFO by your own bad taste.
>>
>>51437062
https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Gallifrey/r4.5-5.0

Good majority of them are prog.

>>51437091
haha was literally about to bring that up. Someone always points it out but no one ever says why. It's a phenomenal album
>>
>>51437115
Outside of Girl's Not Grey and The Leaving Song (I&II) I find it really boring
>>
>>51437086
>Children of Nova
Thanks for the rec
Not gonna attempt to compare it to Closure. Comparing music is really very convoluted and frustrates me to no end.
Again, you're freaking out about this stuff. Of course I don't know you, this is an anonymous board.
It's either incredibly ironic obligatory contrarianism
or you're taking your initial reaction to the quality of the album and running with it, creating a whole paradigm of negative bullshit guised as legitimate criticism.
Have a nice day, m8.
>>
>>51435722

Because it's really not that great, honestly.

Their latest is a step up, but there are better prog revival acts and there's nothing that sets them apart other than them once being Opeth.
>>
>>51437191
I agree, I think Opeth is a big player in the scene of super sterile sounding faux-prog along with Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd
>>
>>51437217
oh and not to mention fucking Dreamtheater. Uyyy
>>
>>51437143
That's okay, I think for sure a lot of it is down to the fact that I spent a lot of time with it when I was younger. I find it strange that so many people condemn AFI, especially that album, when what we're discussing right now (Closure) isn't actually that far off. A terrible prejudice came against AFI when they had the idiocy to lump themselves into the "scene", but their music is actually great once you give it a chance.

>>51437151
Children of Nova and Closure are always mentioned in the same sentence because their first records were dropped within months of each other and were pretty much identical. But to me, Nova actually did two good records, Closure not so much

I dunno I just get really sensitive when people say that I have opinions solely to be contrarian, because I spend so much more time on forming my opinions than most people. And nah my initial opinion of it was even worse, I think I gave it 4/10 straight away, but there are some good songs there. I just think it's so schizophrenic, about 50% of it is good and 50% is crap, and it never locks into one style properly.
>>
>>51437115
h-hey i also like coheed and cambria

pleb and proud. haven't heard anything since good apollo tho...dunno if i should
>>
File: post-prog 4.jpg (594 KB, 1160x590) Image search: [Google]
post-prog 4.jpg
594 KB, 1160x590
>>51437249
I think Descension is their strongest actually, but I was never a fan of their early stuff, so my opinion may not match yours. I can totally get why they are hated to be honest though, it took me a while to get over Claudio's vocals and see the great melodies underneath

Also most of the people would like the shit on this chart, I made it to cover this sort of stuff that isn't really prog but has links to it
>>
>>51437249
I loved In Keeping... so much in my middleschool years. I go to it now and then for nostalgia. Just decided to listen to their most recent release, was pretty good. Changing my perspective on them currently from nostalgic to genuine enjoyment.
>>
>>51437240
again, some of the points you are making such as
> it never locks into one style properly
really don't come across as anything but contrarianism. Stubborn contrarianism. And I hate to go to that place where I'm attaching such a negative stigma to your opinions but man, it's like we're talking about an entirely different album here.
>>
>>51437294
Which albums of theirs do you enjoy other than Descension?
>>
>>51437352
Do you understand what contrarianism means? Like I literally cannot comprehend how you are getting that from my posts. Most people I know hate that album, contrarianism would be the opposite, so, you know, liking it...

And I definitely feel like we're talking about a different album, the fact that you call such a manic and schizophrenic album "art" makes me fucking laugh
>>
>>51432125
My avant-teen sensibilities say not but my ears say yes.
>>
>>51437355
I also enjoy Ascension, Year of the Black Rainbow (never got the hate) and No World For Tomorrow, but nowhere near as much. I honestly think their only average album is their debut, but they've never really had a "great" album either, if you know what I mean
>>
>>51437402
well you certainly are capable of continuing your point and just fucking drilling it into the ground until you hit oil or some shit. lol. cut it out or just relax on it, man.
>>
>>51437462
Well as someone who has invested years of their life towards being a music writer, it cuts fucking deep when someone says you're a contrarian. Lets just agree to disagree, dude, I really don't get your perspective and you don't get mine, but don't go flinging around words like contrarian.
>>
>>51437501
I do get your perspective. Unfortunately, I am resentfully frustrated by your attitude, regardless of the work you put into it. That's that. You've built a foundation but your house didn't need it and it looks the same as mine though the painting is more thick.
>>
>>51437501
why is contrarian so offensive?
>>
File: 1412443965480.png (291 KB, 324x354) Image search: [Google]
1412443965480.png
291 KB, 324x354
>>51437640
not him but man it really convolutes things. contrarian people are unknowingly propelling confusing idealisms
>>
>>51437640
Because it implies that I'm a fake, and that my opinions are only based around what everyone else thinks as opposed to my own view, which is vital for being a critic. I like to stand by my opinions being my own and not letting anything else affect it, which is why AFI is still up there after years of >>51437091 these sorts of responses.

I dunno I'm sure a lot of it is my autism but it does get to me, and the reason I kept pushing my point is because I wanted to prove that it was a legitimate opinion.
>>
And the reason I was confused at the contrarian remarks is that most people agreed with me on Pink Lemonade's averageness, I always thought I was with the flow on that one as opposed to against it, but I have been against it on many other albums (cough swans)
>>
>>51437721
are you actually autistic?

because that would make sense.
>>
>>51437779
Never been tested, but I wouldn't be surprised. You wouldn't be able to tell very easily but I have always been slightly accelerated intellectually and have had some social problems. It's not really anything that affects my daily life so I don't mention it much outside of 4chan
>>
>>51437701
I don't geT it?
>>
File: 344532423434.jpg (7 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
344532423434.jpg
7 KB, 249x249
>>51437831
>but I have always been slightly accelerated intellectually

Ah yes, another lazy genius.
>>
>>51437871
the human condition suggests that lack of hard work does benefit safe brain development, yet those who seem to have taken complete advantage of the hierarchical system cannot read this without confusion, apparently.
>>
>>51437871
Never said I was a genius, but it does mean that I can put all of my effort into music and scrape straight Bs in engineering, which is nice.
>>
>>51437984
Ever thought of experimenting with new genre concepts?
Try Chipmunk Rap. Or Killwave. Which looks better? There's too many options.
>>
File: 7534432434.jpg (83 KB, 649x616) Image search: [Google]
7534432434.jpg
83 KB, 649x616
>>51437918
Fuck you geek
>>
>>51438035
OOPS!
I meant to post Chiptune Rap. Where has my mind gone?
>>
>>51438060
it's a big grey area so I'll just keep going with what feels right
>>
>>51438035
No, I think that so many of those artists rely on gimmicks to sell their music above actual good compositions

While I'm open to experimentation I value songwriting and composition far above it
>>
>>51432125
I liked the bedlam in goliath more
>>51435289
gloss drop was better for a little
>>
>>51438103
Well recently I have developed an aversion to mass produced Hip Hop production techniques. There is so much nihilism in that world. I wonder what they're really trying to create sometimes.
>>
>>51435248
Grace for Drowning is superior.
>>
>>51432125
>>51432146
i want to hear an answer to this
>>
>>51438187
Insurgentes superior to both
>>
>>51438216
I think he's just trying to make a point about the quality and validity of the album as opposed to just throwing out a potential opposition
>>
>>51438225
True, but Insurgentes is barely prog.
>>
>>51437240
>Children of Nova
thanks so much for this rec, man, I love this stuff.
>>
>>51438278
Oh yeah it's not prog at all to be honest, aside from maybe No Twilight
>>
File: kanye-west1.jpg (44 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
kanye-west1.jpg
44 KB, 620x372
>>51438079
The true pioneer of chipmunk rap is going to be mad
>>
>>51432125
It's not even the Mars Volta's best album.
>>
>>51439173
Bedlam is.
>>
>>51432125

The Mars Volta made it.

That was easy OP.
>>
Isn't it weird how Mikael (frontman of Opeth) said that he was was bored of metal, yet his straight prog rock albums sound far less inspired?
>>
>>51432247
This.
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.