[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pleb stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 12
Time for a pleb stories thread.
I'll start with one I posted in the thread yesterday.

>Few years ago
>Have friend who claims Beach Boys is his favorite band of all time and that they are far better than The Beatles
>Think he must be pretty cool and ask him if he had heard the then new Smile Sessions release
>What's that?
>Feel a bit irritated that he claims to be such a huge Beach Boys fan but isn't aware of Smile so I start to explain to him the history behind it and how Brian tried so hard to outdo both Pet Sounds and The Beatles but it resulted in him having a breakdown and the album got cancelled and turned into Smiley Smile
>Er, I don't think I've ever heard Pet Sounds
>Wait, how the fuck?
>Well... I don't really listen to their original albums because I just want to listen to their good tracks, that's why I have all their greatest hits compilations instead
Haven't been as mad at anything or anyone since.
>>
Also, he considers Kokomo to be objectively the best Beach Boys track.
>>
>Went to high school for emotionally disturbed kids
>At lunch we were allowed to use computers and do whatever we want
>This fat autistic kid would literally use every lunch period to just watch and listen to the Out Of Control music video by Hoobastank every single day, for the 3 years I went to high school with him until I graduated.
>>
>>51262887
>went to a high school for emotionally disturbed kids
these exist? sounds like something vegan libertarian soccer moms send their kids to.
>>
>>51263118
Yeah, they're for kids with bipolar, depression, schizophrenia, aspergers and whatnot.
Kids who aren't retarded, but also can't really be in a normal classroom because of various reasons.
>>
>>51262585
huh
>>
>>51263476
so why were you there?
>>
>>51263486
any interesting stories?
>>
>>51263552
Borderline Personality Disorder. Back before psychedelics toned my mood down a lot I was really loud, obnoxious and very emotionally unstable. I would also go through depressive periods where I just wouldn't do anything at school.
>>
>>51263594
nah
just like
kokomo though
>>
>>51263618
>>51262585
What's wrong with Kokomo?
Sure, it's not Surf's Up, Cabin Essence, Good Vibrations, Wouldn't It Be Nice, or Sloop John B, but it's still a good fun track.
>>
File: Doctor-Who-In-The-Rain.gif (580 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
Doctor-Who-In-The-Rain.gif
580 KB, 500x275
>Few years ago
>Being in boarding school
>three per room
>Sleeping next to a fucking retard
>exclusively listens to Golden Sun and Oblivion Soundtrack, absolutely shitty dance music, and "lel funy" shit
>from 10pm to 2am he was lying in his bed, listening to music while shaking his head from left to right like a retard
>every
>fucking
>night
>even does it while the songs are skipping

The worst part was that he knew about some good artists, but for every good Brodinski track he knew there was a bunch of unfunny MLP remixes
>>
>I listen to Skrillex
>>
bamp
>>
>>51262510
It's the fucking Beach Boys dumbass. Liking them in any degree automatically makes you a plebeian.
>>
>>51265665
Excuse me?
>>
>>51265665
Is today your first day on /mu/?
>>
>>51265704
What I'm saying is this:

Brian Wilson was a horrible songwriter, much worse than Lennon/McCartney, and you have terrible taste.
>>
>>51265665
>Confirmed for never listening to the Beach Boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOAUroLJnRc
>>
>>51265729
Are you saying you came here and now you try to conform to /mu/ as much as possible?

L

O

L.

I bet you think Animal Collective is awesome.
>>
>>51265665
>Pet Sounds
>Smile
>Love You
>Plebeian
Sorry cutie, but no.
>>
>>51265748
Damn, that was much worse than Pet Sounds and Surfs Up. Unbelievable. Van Dyke Parks is the very definition of a hack.
>>
>>51265753
Are you saying you get your opinions from contrarianism and not a hands on approach?

L

O

L

I bet you think Animal Collective is bad
>>
>>51265735
Brian as a producer was even better than Spektor. You have no clue what you are talking about.
>>
>>51265665
>>51265735
>>51265753
>>51265777
>All this low quality bait
I'll bite though.
So what bands do you consider patrician?
>>
>>51265800
Ignoring the fact that that is not true, now we're talking about the production instead of the shitty songs? Talk about grasping at straws.

No one could polish Brian Wilson's turds.
>>
>>51265834
Why are you trying so hard? You know that nobody is taking you seriously right?
>>
>>51265866
Great rebuttal. About what you would expect from a Beach Boys fan.
>>
>>51265800
>Brian as a producer was even better than Spektor
i would hope no one actually believes this
>>
>>51265884
Let's consider for a second that you aren't just trolling. How can you ignore the innovations and impact that both Pet Sounds and Smile had on the music industry? Are you autistic or something?
>>
>>51263118
>>51263476

My friend was in and out of one of these places during high school, he called it "clown college"
>>
>>51265934
This is /mu/. All of the pretentious hipster posers here believe it so that they can act superior to mainstream Beatles fans.
>>
>>51265939
>autistic
Sigh. If you're not going to stop posting buzzwords and 4chan memes, I'm going to stop responding to you.

In any event, Brian Wilson made a career (not sure you could even call it this) aping the Beatles, then spiraled into depression when he realized he was not as talented as John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

Any "innovation" this singles band had on the music industry is negligible at best. The Beach Boys are better off being forgotten (which is what is happening).
>>
>>51262510
not sure i have ever seen someone this ugly before and i live in alabama
>>
>>51266043
He's the guy who used to run Silk Road 2 before he was arrested and the site was shut down earlier this week.
>>
>Speaking to friend.
>Friend only listens to Macklemore, Rival Sons and Kanye
>Refuses to listen to bands like Radiohead because every single one of their songs is "too depressing".
>Can only name Creep and Karma Police.
>Whatever.
>Suggest albums he should listen to.
>Suggest he should listen to Burial, James Blake and other accessible stuff.
>He suggests that I listen to Rival Sons
>Humour him but still no.
>Week later
>"I listened to Burial. It's all just boring and too much of the same stuff"
>Proceeds to listen to Macklemore for the next 6 months.
>mfw he paid £500 to see Macklemore.
>>
>>51266089
so what kind of penalty do you face for being the ringleader of a black market for drugs? life imprisonment?
>>
>>51266124
Not sure, probably. Especially since the shutdown was a joint operation between the FBI, Department of Homeland Security, and Europol.
>>
>>51266122
He was spot on about burial though
>>
>>51266122
you both sound like plebs here
>>
>>51266195
Fuck, wrong picture.
>>
>>51266211
>Suggesting accessible artists to a pleb makes you a pleb

Nice logic, buddy.
>>
>>51266124
>>51266195
Considering there are people in jail for life right now for weed possession, yeah, this dude's gonna die in prison

They'll make an example of him
>>
>>51266480
>Considering there are people in jail for life right now for weed possession
Luckily that's not longer the case in California.
Based Prop 47.
>>
>>51266195
you realize you just gave away your Facebook profile within the filename right? You should probably delete your post.
>>
>>51266620
Yeah, I know. It's not letting me delete the post though.
>>
>>51266016

Being this wrong is unhealthy.
>>
>>51266016
>which is what is happening
Wrong.
If anything the Beach Boys are being more recognized than ever before and Brian is finally beginning to be seen as the absolute genius he is.
>>
>>51266708
everything there looks right to me
>>
>>51266195
>>51266620
>/AaronCalebRobertson
TOP FUCKING KEK! This is what your typical Beach Boys fan looks like.
>>
>>51266195
Is that St. Vincent? Holy shit she's ugly
>>
>>51266122
I kind of like listening to Rival Sons though, I don't see what makes them so plebby.
>>
>>51266505
Was that the only place that's possible? That's fucking fantastic
>>
>>51266831
They're only ok in my opinion but he makes them out to be god tier.
>>
>>51266016
You're wrong, but that's okay.
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion no matter how wrong or laughable it may be.
>>
>>51266914
Well I agree with you in that case, the same hype they get is the same hype that the Black Keys gets.
>>
>>51266765
Just no.
>>
>Friend thinks that Emilie Autumn is the pinnacle of musicianship and angrily argues that to everybody she meets
>>
>Whenever I talk about My Bloody Valentine my pleb friends always assume I'm talking about Bullet For My Valentine and assume I have horrible taste
It's a frustrating feel.
>>
>Girl asks me what type of music I listen to
>Eh, mainly indie stuff. Radiohead, Swans, Girls, Beirut and the like
>Oh! I love indie stuff too! Do you like Nirvana?
>>
>>51267105
You seem to be under the impression that people who enjoy MBV have good taste.
>>
File: 1413134024199.jpg (10 KB, 245x251) Image search: [Google]
1413134024199.jpg
10 KB, 245x251
>>51265665
>>
>>51267212

>muh subversive posts
>>
>>51265665
Can you go be stupid somewhere else?
>>
>>51267185
Are you calling someone who referred to Nirvana as indie pleb, while at the same time yourself calling Radiohead indie?
>>
>>51267340
Radiohead has been independent for years now.
>>
moar stories pls
>>
>Qt girl sits next to me in computer room for third time
> building courage to speak to her
> look at screen some new linkin park song
> ofcourse
> look again
> "trap remixes of popular songs"
> still didn't speak to her
>>
>>51267524

Oww
>>
>>51267641
>>51266770
Can you just shut up and stay on topic? Nobody cares about my FB but you apparently. Grow up or fuck off back to /b/.
>>
File: cover.png (516 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
516 KB, 500x500
>Dad plays some 90s alternative track I'm not familiar with.
>Singer sounds a bit like one of the Ween guys.
>Haven't listened to anything but The Mollusk from them, so to me it could just as well be Ween.
>Casually asks if it's Ween.
>It isn't, it's just some generic 90s band with a generic name I can't even remember now.
>Dad asks what Ween is.
>I say it just sounded a bit like one of the guys from the band.
>He looks them up at Spotify.
>I direct him to The Mollusk and Buckingham Green, as that's the vocal performance I felt was the closest to what he was playing.
>It goes for a while, realize I was thinking of the wrong track.
>"No, wait, this guy sounds more like Ozzy."
>He suddenly turns on Ocean Man.
>"Is this the one you were thinking of?"
>"No."
>He turns on Waving My Dick in the Wind.
>Shigs at the title.
>Changes to Pink Eye (On My Leg)
>I tell him it's a bit hard to remember which one it was since every track is basically a different style.
>He changes to She Wanted to Leave, and agrees.
>I jokingly tell him to play The Blarney Stone, as an example of how far the album takes the use of different styles.
>He tells me he hates when albums does that shit, and that he doesn't like this album.
>MFW he just listened to the first five seconds of six tracks.
God damnit, I thought we actually had a bonding moment there, and he had to ruin it by being rude.
>>
>>51267858
My friends dad despises Pink Floyd because he considers is a pretentious EDM precursor.
>>
>>51267906
Sounds like a pretty pretentious thing to think
>>
>>51262510
Autistic rockist detected.
>>
>>51268032
Jesus Christ, why are you here?
>>
>>51267366
Heh
>>
>>51268128
...because the beach boys actually are my favorite band of all time and I can still respect someone who appreciates their music free from the pretense of album format and the habit of studying an artist just to posture to other people on the internet ? Reality check: most people don't give two shits about extra musical things, let alone music.
>>
>>51267906
I'm gonna have to need more reasonings behind this, because that just sounds fucking insane.
>>
>>51262510
that's...unacceptable
>>
>>51268273
It's hard to believe you have a social life sometimes Friendo.
>>
>>51263841
Why did you omit God Only Knows?
>>
>>51268369
That's what he wants you to think
>>
File: 141408738910.png (293 KB, 437x339) Image search: [Google]
141408738910.png
293 KB, 437x339
I've read a bit of this thread and seemed to come across some comments about the beach boys being subjectively better than the beatles.

I'm confused. Do people actually think this? Seriously.
>>
>>51266195
>that facebook profile link
Dumbass. What a fucking newfag.
>>
File: 932.png (81 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
932.png
81 KB, 350x350
>>51265665
>Not liking Beach Boys
>>
>>51268369
>"let him appreciate the music how he wants, keep in mind that not everybody thinks the way you do"
>wow how do u have a social life

Are you socially retarded ? People don't want you sperging out about this shit IRL. Most people don't fucking care. Just find the common ground you do have and make the best of the conversation.

And people have the gall to claim I don't have empathy for others.
>>
>>51268481
While Beach Boys have a lot of mediocre albums, there's no denying that Pet Sounds, Smile, and Love You are better than anything in The Beatles catalog.
You could make a case for Surf's Up, Sunflower, Friends, Wild Honey and maybe even Holland and 20/20 as well.
>>
>>51268566
Whom are you quoting?
>>
>>51268468
If I didn't have a social life I would be listening mainly to improvised music and western classical and posting on /mu/ 14 hours a day again. As it stands, I'm not isolated enough to do that.
>>
>>51268583
Nobody, I distilled the information both sides presented via paraphrasing. Lrn2communicate.
>>
>>51268622
Whatever you say Friendo
>>
>>51268569
>Pet Sounds, Smile, and Love You are better than anything in The Beatles catalog
HAHAHAHAHHA
Are you aware of.. uhm, let me see
>Rubber Soul
>Revolver
>Sgt. Pepper's
>Magical Mystery Tour
>"White Album"
>Abbey Road

Smile is unfinished, a failed project. Smile Sessions is literally from 2011 and could never compete with anything by the beatles because of this.
Pet Sounds is their only album capable of being equiparated to the beatles, and even Pet Sounds isn't good enough as the albums above quoted. Even Brian agrees with this.
>>
>>51266230
what is all that wall-colored shit on his walls
>>
Since this is basically just a Beach Boys thread, would you all consider Mike Love to be the Ringo Starr of the Beatles?
>>
>>51268706
Ringo is a pretty cool guy, could sing well and is talented. So no.
>>
>>51268668
>>51268622
Why do you throw a fit of rage when someone calls you out for having no social life Friendo? I mean we all can agree you just lie through your teeth when you post what you did during your weekends, no one really minds it.
>>
>>51268686
You do realize that both Phil Spektor and The Beatles both considered Pet Sounds superior to all of their pre-Sargent Peppers work and that the album was made to out-do Pet Sounds right?
>>
>>51268768
Maybe, but it sure did the work. Sgt. Pepper's is better than Pet Sounds in every aspect. It's the single most influential album in rock music and it's throughout a songwriting masterpiece.
>>
>>51263476
HAHAHAHA. RETARD!!!
>>
File: 2a4tk4i.jpg (33 KB, 437x368) Image search: [Google]
2a4tk4i.jpg
33 KB, 437x368
One of these threads, they're always fun.
>flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days
Also make sure to bump, these things take awhile to make
>>
>>51268919
Good thread.
>>
>>51263891
fuck up. You went to boarding school. You're opinion is automatically irrelevant.
>>
>>51268919
fuck i meant to make this a thread, how did this even happen?
>>
>>51267105
>I avoided listening to that band for soo long because of that. I couldn't understand why so many people listened to that shit.
> one day got curious about the album loveless because it's always being talked about on here.
> check it out and realise it came out in 91 I believe.
> my world is completely blown, so I listen to it.
>then find out not the same band as Bullet for my Valentine.
>>
File: 1406573038707.png (218 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1406573038707.png
218 KB, 500x374
>>51268953
You're fucking up anon
>>
>>51269083
>>51268989
Look, i did it!
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.