[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how can I make shoegaze and not sound like mbv?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 1345833716271.png (54 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1345833716271.png
54 KB, 259x194
how can I make shoegaze and not sound like mbv?
>>
sound like slowdive instead?
>>
>>51229186
If you're making shoegaze that sounds like mbv then please tell me what you're doing because that's not just something anybody can do
>>
>>51229186
Make it sound like Kinoko Teikoku
>>
>>51229186
lol
>>
>write alternative rock song
>don't add fuzz distortion and shit load of reverb
there ya go
>>
>>51229190
kek

Dont write shoegaze to write shoegaze, write music to write music, dipshit
>>
>>51229266
niceme.me
>>
>>51229200
i do it too but i don't wanna release it cause everyone will just say it's a ripoff.
>>51229186
You'll sound like mbv if their sound is what shoegaze is to you. If you wanna make something new you'll have to take risks and write something that gives you the same feels as mbv but is still different music wise, like really different structure or production or mix it with another genre you like
>>
Listen to Depreciation Guild
>>
>>51229322
shit electrogaze
>>
>>51229186
I'd prefer an MBV sound to a Slowdive sound honestly, just please no more INDIE GARAGE ALTERNATIVE ROCK SHOEGAZE COLLEGE SCENE PSYCH REVIVAL SCENE ROCKIN' OUT LOOK AT ME SHIRTLESSGAZE bullshit please. Fucking, Brian Jonestown Massacre IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST
>>
>>51229430
Why is BJM bad? I like how they sound. Never seen any performance.
>>
>>51229430
thisssss, i'm so fucking tired of all the way too much reverb, 2 chords songs with horrible production that are what most shoegaze bands have put out since loveless, wtf. Kevin shields is one of the few good song writers to have written shoegaze, most stuff is so fucking low level music wise and production wise
>>
>record your vacuum cleaner
>record your mother singing in the shower
>use pitch shift, reverb and overdrive to manipulate recorded sounds
Oh wait sorry you said not like MBV
>>
>>51229475
I personally don't like the way they sound, and if you do thats fine, subjectivity, but they have spawned this immense scene of talentless "psych-rock revival" that constantly gets tagged as shoegaze for some reason and it really dilutes the market and makes it very hard to find anything genuinely creative, and they themselves are the most self-obsessed group of narcissists I've ever witnessed, check out the documentary on them, I always though they were "meh" but wanted to see what the whole cult surrounding them was all about and now I fucking hate them so much. It's like watching an a7x-style band's banter only narcissistic and attached to a musical genre that you love, ugh
>>
>>51229186
Make it sound like Flying Saucer Attack instead.

>>51229511
>be me, 2009
>decide to listen to this Loveless album that Wikipedia was going on about
>click on the video, plug in my headphones, instantly drowned in wages of euphoria
>shit this good
>listen to it for thirty minutes and loving every second of it when I looked up to see how far along I was in the album
>it hadn't even started yet
>it was still buffering
>I heard the music still coming, though, so I opened up the door to my room to see if I could find the source
>it was just my mom vacuuming and singing to herself
>>
>>51229549
They're also really bad live and try to make it more about attitude as if it's a punk show even though their whole gimmick in recordings is reverby atmosphere, and they're prone to just leaving the stage if the fag "I'm so mentally ill" singer is too drunk and mad, they're antagonistic to the audience, just generally shit all-around
>>
>>51229274
Are you retarded?
>>
>>51229551
>Make it sound like Flying Saucer Attack instead.

Fucking yes
>>
>>51229186
Make it catchy to sound like Ride or Vverve
>>
Listen to Going Blank Again, and see how it's really done.
>>
>write some songs
>friend says he likes them but that it might sound too much like MBV

Help pls...
>>
use a dyson
>>
>>51229186
Make blackgaze instead.
>>
>>51229493
This guy gets it. I feel a Shoegaze song is good if you can play it on acoustic guitar and it still sounds good. I always write the song first and worry about effects later. Cool chord progressions and alternate tunings work as well.
>>
>>51229549
Brah fuck off. BJM are fucking the man, Anton preaches truth. I shared a joint with him at APF and he's cool as hell. I dig independent thinkers and he's one of the brightest minds of our time, you're just an anti-pot fuckhead.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.