[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
musician feels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15
File: 1404511951423.jpg (61 KB, 453x668) Image search: [Google]
1404511951423.jpg
61 KB, 453x668
Everyday I'm writing and working on music. Wondering how the fuck I get more people to come to shows, how to improve my sound new people to work with. I study music and sound and it kind of punches me in the gut every time I realise. You see thousands of lame youtube commenters asking you to check out their music, the daily sc threads on here and the millions of gigs and millions of bands happening a day in my country alone. I'm not saying I want to be famous but its crazy how many people are out there making music, how much effort people can put in for a relatively unheard album for example. I don't want fame but I do want support and recognition of achievement and it's now I think that you have to construct a new genre, be 10/10 attractive or have some shot in the dark internet video that goes viral. Am I wrong /mu/? I Just see countless bands in my hometown playing for six or more years and I respect them and love their music but it's pretty unlikely that they will break a fanbase of locals and a few national listeners.
tldr
>the nature of the game
>in music is fame
>>
>>51183035

iktf
>>
Step 1: Make amazing music that lots of people like

That's all there is to that, if you are good enough you will always be recognised as important to the people who's opinion you should care about.
>>
>>51183035
ask yourself whether YOU would want to listen to your music. what do you look for in music, what makes you enjoy a piece, what's something that you would want to try? pick a country at random and explore their folk music, listen to a genre you swore never to listen to.

If you learn to love your music then you will at least have fun and satisfaction in making music, and that's the most important.

I know your feel, anon, I have it too, but don't give up!
>>
>>51183073
I really enjoy what I make and I get this uncontrollable smile when something I make sounds good or when jamming with a band I work with sometimes just sounds perfect. I just feel like the ratio of people that listen to shit radio music over people that are open to music is weighing so heavily on the mainstream radio mob.
>>
>>51183106
that's absolutely true, but not everyone is like that, including yourself. there's a big difference between making music that sounds like it could be on the radio and making music that could be remembered for years to come, if it isn't by the masses then by you and your friends

so basically don't stop making music because it's something of such great worth in our lives
>>
Yeah bruh I think the same way. Im from new zealand and my country is small. Lorde getting famous was like holy shit.jpeg for the whole nation.
Im just gonna focus on my cities "scene" and at least acquiring a decent fanbase. You should so the same but always do your best
>>
>>51182177
>>
>>51183196
yeah dude thats what got me to write this
>>
>>51183035

I think the problem is the Internet and how it is skewing our concerns and what is important to us; We think too broad for our own brush; We quest for a secret key to unlock success across everything at an instant, or "at the click of a button".

We forget, relationships. What use is having 1,000 followers on the Internet if you haven't met more than 8? One reason could be that having that many followers increases your likelihood of meeting someone in person as a result.

You're looking for recognition, for respect, yet you seek it from the other. Really you need to find respect for yourself; Respect from others will flow without resistance henceforth.
>>
>>51183257
this this this. I wasn't able to put it so well, but that's what I was aiming to say
>>
File: bro.jpg (11 KB, 480x359) Image search: [Google]
bro.jpg
11 KB, 480x359
>>51183289

:^)
>>
>>51183257
my nigga
well said
>>
>>51183257
>What use is having 1,000 followers on the Internet if you haven't met more than 8?
I don't know about you but knowing that people are listening to and enjoying my music is more important to me than meeting them.
>>
>>51183460

I can respect that you don't view music as a means to an end; Or at least have an aversion to the idea.
>>
>>51183460

i like meeting people in person and telling them that i appreciate their support.
>>
File: mfw.png (640 KB, 533x671) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
640 KB, 533x671
>>51183515
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 240x191) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 240x191
The worst thing ever for a musician.
-What do you want to study?
-Music
>What else?
Those 2 words that destroy your inspiration.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 419x604) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 419x604
Bumping
>>
>>51183555
No, the worst thing ever for a musician is having your bank account empty and being forced to work at a job you don't like, and being so tired and disheartened after your long days at work that you don't even feel like making music anymore.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 550x453) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 550x453
>>51183733
>>
>>51183503
Well, do you? To what end then?
>>51183515
Well, I'm not saying meeting fans wouldn't be nice, I'm just saying the essential is the music, not the popularity. But we probably don't have the same experience, since I'm a composer / pianist so I've never played a show.
>>
File: 1317999966549.jpg (183 KB, 451x700) Image search: [Google]
1317999966549.jpg
183 KB, 451x700
>>51183733

>tfw inspiration strikes, but still at work.
>tfw done working and too tiredm to concentrate
>tfw ideas are gone the next day
>>
File: Welcome to the Machine.jpg (14 KB, 500x453) Image search: [Google]
Welcome to the Machine.jpg
14 KB, 500x453
>>51183733
>>
>tfw my music is constantly improving
>I have this notion that once it gets good enough, I will break out and become a common name for people in the known
>tfw it will never happen because people don't listen for quality
>>
>>51183790

>Well, do you? To what end then?

To forming relationships with people; Community, tribal circles in a metaphorical sense, culture
>>
File: 1404351696896.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1404351696896.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>51183813
this
>>
i don't know, i do it because i love it. i want to express my fantasies and share them. i'm happy even if just a few hundred people really connect to that. but i know the feeling.
>>
>>51183799

Through this feel right now
>>
>went to vote yesterday
>went to the wrong place, but see a former teacher i held in high regard
>catch up and talk about movies for a while
>asks me what i've been doing
>working a part-time while studying music
>music study eh?
>he looks disappointed
>i hope you're not just studying music
>expecting lecture about how music isn't a worthwhile study or career
>15 minute lecture/discussion about how i also need to do my best to write music everyday
>tells me to play in as many places as possible to get music spreading and make connections
>feelsgoodman.img
>>
>>51183927

Are you going to take inspiration from his advice; Any plans to work harder at music?
>>
>>51183999
Deciding to start taking more gigs, even shitty ones. Came up with some new song ideas when I got home.
Gonna call people that said they needed another musician

It almost feels easier, knowing someone believes in you.
>>
File: 1404228114286.png (119 KB, 217x230) Image search: [Google]
1404228114286.png
119 KB, 217x230
>mfw my high hats always end up sounding like maracas
>>
Just be glad you guys aren't WAM composers, getting any recognition, let alone getting your music performed is practically impossible.
>>
>>51184141

What's a WAM composer?
>>
Is it even worth it to release music on small soundcloud labels?
>>
>>51184153
Western art music.
>>
>>51184160

Ahh, I imagine it must be difficult trying to find communities of people with similar interests because of the niche aspect of the music.
>>
>>51184180
It's doable when you're at a conservatory.

Though even then I got a lot more work with various improvisational ensembles than the music I was actually passionate about.
>>
>>51184180
that's the beauty of the internet though
>>
>>51183035
Get a job
>>
File: 140818-aphex-twin-syro-deep-web.png (694 KB, 820x546) Image search: [Google]
140818-aphex-twin-syro-deep-web.png
694 KB, 820x546
>tfw an anon recommends your album in one of those chart threads
>>
>>51184125
hahahahaha anon that's too funny
I've got to make a vocaroo out of this
>>
>>51184409
I'm waiting
>>
File: Chief Keef.png (188 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
Chief Keef.png
188 KB, 500x376
>>51183035
>actually composing music and trying to learn traditional guitar chords and song structures
>not just being No Wave as fuck and making up a bunch of bizarre repetetive riffs using two strings with some kind of tribal drumming in the back
>>
>>51183035
If your music is easily accessible and most of all "good" then the music will sell itself.

it is about how you market yourself, and you have to have the right attitude. It's so easy. this might sound lame but you just gotta believe!
>>
>>51184588
What if I make non-mainstream shit that can't be played live.
How do I even market this besides spamming bandcamp threads and emailing bloggers.
>>
File: sombrero-mexicain-adulte_4.jpg (823 KB, 1744x2400) Image search: [Google]
sombrero-mexicain-adulte_4.jpg
823 KB, 1744x2400
>>51184468
Alright, here's what I imagined when reading your post
http://vocaroo.com/i/s07WWmsoRlbm

(Sorry.)
>>
>>51183799

Buy a handheld recorder. Carry it around with you. When you get an idea, find a private space, turn your recorder on, and then sing/hum/beatbox your idea to capture it.
>>
>>51184685
you mean like a thing with a microphone that fits in your pocket?
those are called cellphones :^)
>>
>>51184492
Making bizarre repetitive riffs actually gets easier once you know the theory behind them
>>
>>51184625
you would have to move to a bigger city where people appreciate different ideas and where smaller people actually have an audience. or if ur in north america, move to europe. people there aren't too caught up in the mainstream and actually go out and look for lesser known people. and you can be as weird as you want as long its art (look up anklepants).

I think what would help out would be getting on a label. their job is to promote you. and just be an easy going person. everyone likes a cool person who is easy to talk to
>>
mfw
>>51183733
>>
i don't get how to make music in ableton
i don't get how people create sounds
people say to just click around but it makes no sense it's so overwhelming

i just want to make music i like for myself
>>
>>51184659
LMFAO
>>
>>51184827
click more
>>
>>51184740
The good side of North America/USA is that there's tons of people there, which means more potential customers. Most European countries are rather small compared to USA, a single major American city can have more inhabitants than a whole European country. And the vast majority of Europeans are still very caught up in the mainstream. Though of course large cultural hotspots like London or Paris or Berlin are exceptions to this.

I mean, I'm Euro myself and in certain niche music genres you always see the same ~50 faces in every single show, and not much anyone else. And I live in the capital.
>>
>>51184835
ok
i just dreamt an entire song and i already forget it
i should've started doing this so long ago
>>
>>51184903
It's never too late, anon.
I was always tormented by musical ideas in my dreams that I couldn't bring to reality because I lacked the technical skills, several years later and I'm finally starting to be able to shape up things I have in my mind.
>>
>>51184903
What kind of music do you want to make?
Do you mean "create sounds" as in "create instruments / tones" or create music in general?
>>
You clearly have insecurities, OP. hope you can dig deep and find some heart. Your wanting for people to like your shit comes out in the music you make. And everyone can hear it.
>>
>>51184999
i don't know, probably some kind of experimental electronic stuff

i mean like create instruments/tones/timbres i guess like i don't understand how an electronic musician creates a unique timbre, i assume its all just modifying existing sounds somehow?

ugh now im realizing i probably should've downloaded 32 bit live 9 instead of 64
>>
>>51185172
You need VST synths and stuff, each VST is its own instrument.
You can also manipulate samples with audio effects and shit.
I recommend you find one VST you really like and learn most of the ins and outs of it.
>>
>>51185244
yeah i'm working on getting live to recognize a vst i just downloaded idk why it's not

so i mean are most artists using pre-made vst's they find online or what? do they manipulate the vst to create a unique sound?
>>
My dream is to have a thread created by an anon just with a picture of my album cover and then the thread automatically gets into a 200+ post discussion about it.
>>
>write a chord progression/riff/melody/
>have about 20 of short ideas I like that don't connect with eachother
>tfw no idea how to build on them
>>
>>51185296
Most producers use VSTs and turn the knobs to get the sounds they want.
Some VSTs are purely electronic, while others are based on samples you put in, but there's no fixed rule and it depends on the VST.
Most VSTs can create a huge range of sounds if you take your time to learn them, I personally hate sounding too generic and try to make my sound as unique as possible within the VST using complex effect schemes and shit, but it's up to you.

You can make your own VSTs, but that's like building your own instrument: a waste of time because you can get professionally made ones instead.
>>
>>51185391
I was like you for a very long time. It might have to do with how you write your music. I used to write it on guitar pro and I had more than a hundred unfinished songs, but then I switched to directly recording my ideas in ableton and I found it easier to finish my songs, because I worried less about making every riff special and more about how the song actually sounded like. I still use my old projects as a sort of composition library because what I wrote was still good, but now I can integrate it more easily with other stuff.
>>
>>51185416
thank you. i've no idea what i'm doing. can anyone recommend me a beginner MIDI keyboard?
>>
>>51186060
the computer keyboard you already have :^)
>>
>>51186060
I'd check out musicians friend, Akai has some nice lower end MIDIs, but browse around and you may find something to your liking
>>
>>51184659
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s07WWmsoRlbm
this is amazing
>>
File: 6000[1].jpg (56 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
6000[1].jpg
56 KB, 300x360
>be me
>love making music
>see music as the sincerest form of self expression
>no desire to be a famous musician
>keep making music because it's an extension of my personality
>a testament of my identity
>no one likes my music
>no one likes my personality
>no one likes my identity
>tfw
>>
>>51187180
link me your music anon
>>
File: gNPUYCi.jpg (45 KB, 480x483) Image search: [Google]
gNPUYCi.jpg
45 KB, 480x483
>>51187180
god damn it anon I don't need these feels right now. I got math class in 15 min
>>
>tfw music is a huge part of the lives of everyone I know
>favorites songs , music that got people through rough times, etc.
>tfw you tell people that you want to make music because it's the only thing that makes you feel good about yourself and it is the only time you feel honest to yourself
>tfw people think that you are irresponsible and immature
>tfw people here only want to work on shitty jobs just so they can have money to spent on shitty life objectives and parties
>tfw I am the one considered immature

I know most people say that you have to respect yourself before you gain the respect of others, but ffs, it's I just want some honest support and critiscism
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.