[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why would someone put these on the same chart together?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: 1413390294341.jpg (975 KB, 4000x2500) Image search: [Google]
1413390294341.jpg
975 KB, 4000x2500
Why would someone put these on the same chart together?
>>
>>50893285
What do you mean? It looks like it has every genre of music.
>>
>>50893321
>looks like it has every genre of music.
0/10
>>
>>50893360
Well no dead genres like rock, folk, jazz and classical
>>
>>50893391
>no lowercase
>no danger music
>no serialism
>no field recordings
>>
>>50893410
no dead genres, yeah
>>
>>50893391
>Rock is dead.

You do realise that pop and rock makes up more than half of the world's record sales, and has done so since the 70s, right? Troll harder.
>>
>>50894083
You know what else makes tons of sales every year? Cemetery plots.
>>
>>50894227
Ergo, the funeral business is alive and well.
>>
>>50894083
yeah aerosmith, U2 and Bon JOvi still sell a shit load of records.

New bands and innovation in rock is gone hence why that is saying it's dead
>>
File: npd-music-chart.jpg (58 KB, 480x278) Image search: [Google]
npd-music-chart.jpg
58 KB, 480x278
>>50894083
Thats not how you spell country
>>
>>50894269
Wait... Are you honestly trying to tell me that there is more innovation in EDM than in rock, jazz, or classical, or that innovation is the sole defining characteristic of good music?

You're funny.

>>50894399
That's U.S. album sales, m'love.
>>
>>50894490
EDM is riding the rave wave 20 years after the rave wave happened in yurop and elsewhere in the world. Actual modern electronic dance music is much more interesting than this commercialized EDM schlock.
>>
>>50894399
Hard Rock 10%
Soft Rock 10%
Alternative Rock 17%
Classic Rock 27% +
-------------------------------
Rock 64%
>>
>>50894600
All of them dead old genres

>classic
>hard rock
>soft rock
>alt rock

Go back to last century Dad
>>
>>50894647
tfw when wrong generation
>>
>>50894552
When I say EDM, I meant Electronic Dance Music, as it stands. That is literally what the letters stand for, after all.

I'd argue that Modern EDM if it is as diverse and boundary-pushing as you say is riding the Futurist-Concrète-Stochastic wave 85 years after it happened, but hey, prove me wrong. Show me something groundbreaking.
>>
>>50894719
>That is literally what the letters stand for
Not in the slightest anymore. EDM refers to the american big room electro-house stuff, everything else is referred to as electronica or just dance music in places that know their shit.

Also I'm not arguing about innovation, I am arguing about freshness. I don't agree that rock music is dead but it's self-evident that there aren't many genuinely new acts in the rock realm in this day and age like there were up until the late 90s or so. Last rock thing I liked was Panda Bear's new single (if you can even call that rock).
>>
>>50894833
>It's self-evident that there aren't many genuinely new acts in the rock realm in this day and age like there were up until the late 90s or so.

If it were self-evident, I wouldn't be arguing with you.
>>
>>50894907
You're arguing about bands from 30 years ago being still relevant bro.
>>
>>50894933
No, I'm not. I'm arguing that the consistently massive number of new rock acts that come out every year are.

That would be why I said that it's not at all self-evident that there aren't many genuinely new acts in the rock realm in this day and age.
>>
>>50894980
>consistently massive number of new rock acts that come out every year
Like?
>>
>>50894997
Kings of Leon
>>
>>50895026
k
>>
>>50894997
This year?

The Contortionist - Language, Adult Jazz - Gist is, The Black Keys - Turn Blue, Andreas Varady - S/T, Black Hours - Hamilton Leithauser

Shall I keep going?
>>
>>50893430
>>>no oceangrunge
>>
>>50895171
Most of those you listed aren't exactly new, or many.
>>
>>50895026
Formed in 1999 bud

that is not new
>>
>>50895171
More new, innovative electronic based artists are posted by even the plebs in /bleep/ daily
>>
>>50895297
Short of The Contortionist and The Black Keys, they are all debuts, and all of them were released this year.

I offered to keep going. Bear in mind, you've not provided a single counterexample.

Have a few more: Sheppard - Bombs Away, Antemasque - S/T, Sleepwave - Broken Compass, California Breed - S/T, The Colourist - S/T, Karen O - Crush Songs...

I could do this all day.

>>50895353
So, name one.
>>
>>50895416
Wen
>>
>>50895475
>Wen
So for my 9 2014 debuts, you're countering with 1 artist who's already 2 years published, as your shining beacon of the contemporary?
>>
>>50895573
Nova Maiden
Shax
Gesaffelstein
Morbid
>>
>>50895416
>>50895475
>>50895573
>>50895605
good namedropping contest I read it
>>
>>50893285
>industrial dance: kraftwerk
topkek
>>
>>50895573
>>50895416
>>50895171
>>50894980
>>50894907
>bleep bloopers getting put in their place

The question still remains: why listen to contemporary rock and electronic when they're both just rehashing each other and their predecessors, who frequently achieved greater success than they ever will ?
>>
>>50895605
>Not a single 2014 debut.

You're missing the point here... You were meant to be demonstrating how all the new artists were in electronic music, and how there are not new rock artists.

>>50895710
Because they aren't - at least... some aren't. It's the burden of every generation so sort the shinola from the shit.
>>
>>50895834
>Not a single 2014 debut.
Three of the artists I listed were made-up.
>>
>>50895834
Fair enough.

>>50895849
You're proving nothing you moron, he's wiping the floor with you.
>>
>>50895849
At least three exist, and are producers or electronic music.
>>
>>50895874
The point is you name-drop artists instead of providing arguments as to why those artists are fresh or original. I can't speak about electronic music before you yourself explain your own reasoning behind the artists that you listed.

>>50895710
Because in general, popular music tends to be more interesting than the experimental art music of the past. "greater success" what what? You are being vague here, my dear ban evader.
>>
>>50895986
>popular music tends to be more interesting than the experimental art music of the past
You appear to have mistaken "socially acceptable" and "cool to listen to" for "interesting".

>"greater success" what what? You are being vague here,
In making masterpieces, artistic success ;)
>>
>>50896056
The limitations imposed upon popular musics are more interesting to me than the pursuits of art music composers of the past - "socially acceptable" and "cool to listen to" are only two reasons to why I think so. This is a subjective aspect, I see no reason to argue this further.
>>
>>50895416
>Bear in mind, you've not provided a single counterexample.
Hannah Diamond
A. G. Cook
D R E A M™
Sophie
Lipgloss Twins
Life Sim
Lipgloss Twins
マクロスMACROSS 82-99
Maxo
猫 シ Corp.
JΛSMINE
チェスマスター
Stereo Component
Felicita
GFOTY
>>
>>50896123
>The limitations imposed upon popular musics
The only limitations in this day and age are knowledge and skill of the composer / arranger. Synthesizers and magnetic tape have seen to that. What limitations are you talking about ?
>>
>pretending modern rock can ever compare to Scooter
>>
>>50895986
Well, we already agreed that originality goes clearly in favour of rock, jazz and classical over electronic music.

Every groundbreaking advance in electronic music was already done somewhere between 1913 and 1950 (with the exception of digital synthesis - which was fully actualised in the mid 70s).

So all we have left to discus is this nebulous notion of 'freshness'. What is freshness without innovation? Until you can better define the parameters of your argument, all I can possibly point to is the constant stream of new artists being published and gaining recognition in a dozen other genres just as (if not more) prolifically as/than in electronic music.

In essence, you have to "speak about electronic music before [I myself] explain [my] own reasoning behind the artists that [I] listed", because a) you are defining the parameters of the argument I'm defending against, and b) the onus of proof falls on you.
>>
>>50896204
A main limitation is making the music listenable and acceptable, for example - a dancefloor setting; appealing to a certain market instead of pursuing your own unlimited artistic desires, riding trends in other words. This limitation is seen as artistic suffocation to some but for me it is minimalistic genius at trying to make something interesting from something so little. The art composers of the past were too bombastic and multilayered for me to prefer them; the popular artists that take influence from them make the same music but one layer at a time. It's a case of either eating a salad, or eating each of the ingredients that make up the salad separately, once at a time. I appreciate those art composers but I still prefer popular music for this exact reason.

>>50896310
> between 1913 and 1950
Between 1940 and 1980. Electronic music in it's current for didn't come to be until the late 70s, and didn't bloom up until the 80s or so.

>originality
>innovation
These are arbitrary concepts tbh. I lost track of the argument I myself have been making up to this point, but perhaps it would be better to substitute "freshness" for "variety". I don't see many rock bands in this year expressing the same value of artistic variety (and based on that, innovation) that I see in electronic dance music artists from this year. Again; I liked Panda Bear's new single. I like it when rock music doesn't attempt to sound like rock music and goes to become something alies for the general masses, in the end appealing only to a single specific niche. Much I like prefer the /bleep/ electronic dance music to the american-accepted EDM, I prefer underground rock genres of the past to the established upper ground classics which characterized rock music as we know it. Perhaps what I'm saying is that rock music's underground isn't what it used to be back in the days.
>>
>>50896181
>Hannah Diamond
>A. G. Cook
>Lipgloss Twins
>Life Sim
>Maxo
>Felicita
>GFOTY

All from the one label and have a similar sound. Good job representing the variation and innovation of modern electronic music there. Also, you wrote Lipgloss Twins twice.

>Sophie
Debut 2012

>マクロスMACROSS 82-99
Debut 2013

>猫 シ Corp.
Debut 2013

>JΛSMINE
Hey, there's one! Good Job!

>チェスマスター
Another one! You're on a roll!

>Stereo Component
Debut 2011.
>>
>>50896744
>Electronic music in it's current for didn't come to be until the late 70s, and didn't bloom up until the 80s or so.

Exactly my point. Nothing original or innovative has been brought into the genre since then.

You seem very confused about what you want. You claim to like innovation, and bands changing up the established archetypes, but then you claim that artistic merit comes from making something that is easily digestible and palatable.

Also, rock music's underground is a million times more diverse, expansive and interesting than it ever has been before - you're just more divorced from it. If any aspect of rock has suffered the most in the last 10 years, it has been the mainstream, broadly consumed portion, not the underground and the subgenres.
>>
>>50896744
(cont.)

It's absurd to argue that popular music isn't behind art music in therms of development. The innovations I was talking about were about popular musics, and I wasn't talking as much about "electronic music" as I was about "electronic dance music" and "electronica", the style of electronic music that are part of the popular music spectrum. Electronic music in it's deep, artistic form is still evolving and innovating in isolated research facilities and whatnot; but those innovators aren't popular because they don't care as much about mass fame or glory, they don't aim for accessibility but aim for progress and innovation. They form a niche market which might include musicians of rock and electronica music, which take influence from them and in result present those musics in a less raw, more accessible form for the upper markets. The reason I prefer electronic music to rock music in 2014 is because I fail to see rock music having as much variety, or development as electronic music in this same year. It's arguable that electronic music in 2014 is yet to reach the heights rock music presented us in the 60s and 70s, but as it is in 2014 electronic music has rock music beat to the punch. Krautrock is the highest form of rock music in my honestest opinion.
>>
>>50897051
>upper markets
"upper" as in less underground, more popular markets. Not artistically "upper".

>>50896947
I got tired of rock music's underground around 2010-2012 or so, so in a way you could call me ignorant of the more modern rock underground and more biased towards modern electronica musics. I appreciated World's End Girlfriend for pushing-up rock music in 2010 albeit in my opinion it was very plastic-ish and cheesy.
>>
File: 1385514261482.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1385514261482.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
>>50896309
>you will never forget how to ask how much the fish is again
Thank you HP Baxter.
>>
>>50897240
I can't blame you, there's a lot of shit to sift through in order to find the gems.

You heard Jizue's 'Journal' (or Mouse on the Keys' 'Machinic Phylum'), 잠비나이's '차연', Ленинград's 'Рыба', Ufomammut's 'Oro: Opus Alter' and 'Oro: Opus Primum', Trioscapes 'Separate Realities', T.R.A.M.'s 'Lingua Franca', Panzerpappa's 'Astromalist', Mombu's 'Zombi', or either of Daughters later albums?

They all had a pretty unique sound to them. Maybe I can convince you back :P
>>
>>50897564
I'll check out the names I don't recognize from your list and see what they have to offer, thanks.
>>
>>50897653
Any time.
>>
Rock music died with John Lennon and underground rock music died with Bill Doss.
>>
>>50897769
Electronic dance music died with Frankie Knuckles and Mark Bell.
>>
>>50897815
and now deadmau5 is dancing on their graves
>>
File: 1408146448979.gif (257 KB, 300x208) Image search: [Google]
1408146448979.gif
257 KB, 300x208
>>50893285
>IDM
>>
>>50896310
>the measure of how good music is is entirely dependent on every single piece of music that came before it
lrn2formalism you noob

>>50896744
>I lost track of the argument I myself have been making up to this point
>but perhaps it would be better to *retreads entire argument*
>Perhaps what I'm saying is that...
>tl;dr i dont know what im saying but im hoping something sticks
bro holy shit learn to argue effectively

itt: novice rockist vs fauxfound blooptard
>>
>>50898221
go away bully
>>
>>50898265
my bad
i was hitten a bunch as a wee child
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.