[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
noko
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2
File: richarddjames.jpg (85 KB, 940x798) Image search: [Google]
richarddjames.jpg
85 KB, 940x798
So what will be next in music? can something be new anymore? Techno, acid, jungle, then all of this pushed to the limit by Aphex Twin, dnb, then pushed to the limit by Noisia, garaje and dubstep, perfected by Burial and pushed to the limits by Skrillex in brostep form. Rap and rnb productions sound amazing, then we got this ridiculous thing now called trap, but I don't even consider this as relevant.

Is there space for something really groundbreaking anymore? Im not taking into account convential music because everything has been done before. The really experimental/avantgarde stuff, seems also stagnant.
>>
>>50313773
>everything has been done before.

yeah, nah
>>
Perhaps we're waiting on a big technological breakthrough.
We've seen big shifts in popular music with mainstream artists adopting the electric guitar, the synthesiser, the sampler, and finally the computer. It's hard to imagine what comes next.
>>
i know some next level stuff but im no telling yall since you keep insisting on ruining music
>>
>>50313849
>biotech sound design
but nah u did not hear it from me
>>
>>50313773
>hen all of this pushed to the limit by Aphex Twin, dnb, then pushed to the limit by Noisia, garaje and dubstep, perfected by Burial and pushed to the limits by Skrillex in brostep form.

Just, wow
>>
>>50313773
Electromechanical music is far from exhausted.
Xenharmonism, more complex rhythms, serialism, twelve-tone.... so much that's not yet mainstream.
The war is won when there's a polyrhythmic twelve-tone composition in the TOP 40.
>>
>>50314027
>The war is won when there's a polyrhythmic twelve-tone composition in the TOP 40.
Except this will never happen.
>>
>>50314027
>polyrhythmic twelve-tone composition
Have you happened to have any links, examples perhaps?
>>
you faggots say this every 5 years, and then something new comes out.

lil wayne, odd future, waka flocka, trap, edm, skrillex, grimes, death grips

stfu
>>
>Is there space for something really groundbreaking anymore?

I believe so.

Im hoping that Aphex Twin pushes the boundaries of electronic music again with his next couple of albums.
>>
>>50314189
All of those things, with an exception for Death Grips, are shit and artistically not anything new or innovative
>>
>>50314212
except they all changed the game in their own way where everyone around them copied their styles immediately
>>
cloned human bodyparts (lungs, syrinx, lips) connected to MIDI
>>
>>50314209
He doesn't really have anywhere to push his music though. Kind of like Autechre, who, if we leave out oversteps (which was more like a melodical fusion with their usual stuff), don't really push things forward but simply perfect their production, make it more complex and completely fill out the niche of their style by themselves.

Hope i make some sense. We don't need to push things forward. We need different things to be mastered by new artists and those developed into something entirely(as much as possible) new.

I kinda agree with OP with Noisia being the peak of the innovation of dnb. Along with Spor, tech itch, limewax and the likes. Every album that would be considered jungle sounds straight like it was made from the late '90s.
>>
>>50314354
Well he did say he had some
>Experimental things, noise things, weird things. Shitloads of stuff
for us, so i'm hyped for that. We'll see if he's gonna fuse those things up with his usual idm wankery (which he has more or less done already) or something completely unique. I don't honestly expect much innovation under the Aphex Twin name though. As people have already said, he's given so much to people already, he has the freedom to make and release simply good music without worrying about innovativity. And Syro is definetly good music
>>
>>50313773
You are right OP, we reached the end of music. Nothin new will be ever be created again, we got all the genres all neatly wrapped up in bags.
>>
>>50313773
>Aphex Twin, dnb, then pushed to the limit by Noisia, garaje and dubstep, perfected by Burial and pushed to the limits by Skrillex in brostep form.
>muh /mu/core artists
>>
We havn't even gotten into the age of post backpacker hip hop
>>
>noko
KEK
>>
>>50313825
Prove it.
>>
>>50313885
>Just, wow
That type of guy that says "just, wow" without actual counterarguments proves that everything has done already.
>>
>>50314027
People has been doing electromechanimal music for ages, Squarepusher released a record consisting on that. There's not much that can be done with that, it's the same thing as samplers and samples but instead triggered in the physical world. Kinda meh.
>>
>>50314212
Skrillex spawned an entire genre. There's nothing that predates the sound in Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites. The rest are not really groundbreaking enough to define a new genre.
>>
>>50314653
>implying this isn't true and implying you can prove it isn't true
>>
>>50313773
sophie, arca, and to a lesser extent because hes slowly getting more conventional, hudmo.
>>
>>50315302
Lol yes there is
Skrillex is a really messy fusion between electro and the usual dubstep wubs that started gaining popularity in mid 2010's.

Stuff like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKJRVH2t2w0
and neurofunk artists in general have made similar and often more 'pure' and defined growls with similar qualities.

I used to have this electro tune from '08 representing that side of skrillex perfectly but i forgot it's name, unfortunately.

I would, however, go as far to bring similarities with Aphex Twin and his use of catchy and almost childish melodies. I'll give him that.

Not sure how related this is, but i think it's a shame that dubstep with reese basses hasn't gotten popular. Stuff like this is what i'd wanted to hear in that style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqBMEmGvYKY
>>
i feel like within 10 years straight up harsh noise will be on pop radio if only as a brief trend
>>
File: tesla-coil-2.jpg (783 KB, 2893x2720) Image search: [Google]
tesla-coil-2.jpg
783 KB, 2893x2720
>>50313849
i have a feeling...
>>
>>50316776
but dude, youre feel is wrong
>>
>>50316776

and the vocals will just be some rapper yelling ''nigga nigga nigga'' it'll be Drake and Lil Wayne wrapped into one
>>
>>50313773
If anyone here knew what would be next, they'd be making it.
>>
>>50313885
i know, it's news to me that techno was perfected by burial too. is this a troll or what? and what is garaje? does he mean the musical genre garage?

basically op what you said doesn't make a lot of sense. Aphex Twin is an electronic music producer whose dabbled in quite a few genres of the music, the other artists you mentioned have mainly released works in 1 or maybe two styles of music, the exception being skrillex who was in that god awful punk band before going solo. there is a whole host of experimental musical forms out there, you just have to dig a little deeper.
>>
>>50317395
>what is the technical side of music production
>what is being an adequate player of an instrument
>>
>>50317416
not op but i face a similar problem, nothing sounds fresh and exciting anymore, i've listened to it all, it all sounds the same one way or another
>>
>>50317542
i think what a lot of people fail to realise is that most electronic music is meant to be heard whilst fucked or at a rave. get out there and mingle! some of the freshest stuff i've heard has been in ibiza of all places! glastonbury gets an honourable mention.
>>
>>50317596
oh no i get that, thats usually where the music feels best too. still though, shits pretty stale
>>
PC Music imo
>>
>>50317637
what artists are you listening to at the moment? i can never really get bored of house or techno, 4_4 just feels right to be honest.
>>
>>50317939
well yeah now that you mention it i just got into minimal techno, so its not completely true.

the other thing that feels fresh is outsider music.
>>
>>50317998
>outsider music
>retardsploitation
>>
>>50318102
what do you mean by that?
>>
>>50318134
What do you think?
>>
New vision on life, etc. creates new sound. There will always be something new.
>>
>>50318188
i dont know, thats why i am asking
>>
>>50313773
Only plebs think that there is nowhere left to go.
>>
>>50318191
link stuff
>>
>>50317416
>it's news to me that techno was perfected by burial
>reading comprehension
>>
>>50313773
>>50314354
I like the Noisia that I've heard, which is not much. Best releases/way to get into?
>>
>>50318210
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploitation_film
>>
I need another Aphex ambient record.

>>50313773
>late stage capitalism
>avant garde
Don't make me kek

Groundbreaking music will always come, because people can combine disparate elements to make things that don't really sound like anything previous, even though it didn't develop in a vacuum. That's how art progresses.
>>
>>50318409
art is dead
or soon enough
>>
>>50313849
This. As much as people here make fun of it, Vocaloid is probably the most interesting recent development in musical technology.

I'm also looking forward to advances in physical modeling synthesis, esp. w/r/t reverb
>>
>>50318335
suck a dick tripfag
>>
>>50318584
wot.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.